BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 161
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
What's crazy to me I found out is a lot of largish guys wear mediums due to mobility and weight preference.

I believe one way to size is nipple to nipple, so many guys are not covering their entire chest, just their core
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CAKEPWNER:
Originally Posted By tooly:

The only thing protecting you is the armor in the carrier. If the armor hasn't changed the amount of protection hasn't changed.
I thought maybe different carriers had different size plates they could carry.
Carriers (good ones anyway) come in different sizes, sized according to the size of plates you wear. You size yourself for plates and then get a carrier to match your plates. Carriers like the JPC, AWS OCPC, and LBT 6094 come in the SAPI size range, from Small to Extra Large. There actually is Extra Small as well but demand for that size is so low most manufacturers don't make anything for it.
What's crazy to me I found out is a lot of largish guys wear mediums due to mobility and weight preference.

I believe one way to size is nipple to nipple, so many guys are not covering their entire chest, just their core
I personally prefer my plates to cover just below the end of the xiphoid process and roughly nipple to nipple but not past them.

I would not want to wear a plate that covered my belly button.
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If I measured correctly nipple to nipple is 13 inches
and where the plate should go on my chest from belly button is 15inches
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 7:59:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cone256] [#3]
My RMA side plates arrived today.  I was surprised it only took a week or so.  Threw them in and we'll see how I like them as I get some training in
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cone256:
My RMA side plates arrived today.  I was surprised it only took a week or so.  Threw them in and we'll see how I like them as I get some training in
View Quote
When did you order?
Link Posted: 12/9/2019 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Jdub16:
When did you order?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jdub16:
Originally Posted By cone256:
When did you order?
Around thanksgiving
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
no pics on this page yet?

Link Posted: 12/12/2019 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
Not at all. I'd wear smalls if I could get them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wag_bag:

Not at all. I'd wear smalls if I could get them.
View Quote
I size out to Large and so I got large. Part of me wishes I got mediums. The rifle stock doesn't square as well against my shoulder with a large. It's not too bad, but was noticeable when I took my last class.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 7:40:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: daemon734] [#9]

View Quote
I have an issued AVS and JPC and two sets of plates, one set large and the other medium.  The medium is a noticeable difference in weight and bulk versus the large, especially since I am pretty much on the threshold of being in between the two.  Because of that I usually wear the medium when im deployed.  I usually use the large set when im working out in armor, but not much else.

Speed and mobility generally equal safety for me, and when that stops applying the size plates I am wearing won't make a tiny bit of difference.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By daemon734:

I have an issued AVS and JPC and two sets of plates, one set large and the other medium.  The medium is a noticeable difference in weight and bulk versus the large, especially since I am pretty much on the threshold of being in between the two.  Because of that I usually wear the medium when im deployed.  I usually use the large set when im working out in armor, but not much else.

Speed and mobility generally equal safety for me, and when that stops applying the size plates I am wearing won't make a tiny bit of difference.
View Quote
I got measured for large and refused to sign for them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wag_bag:

I got measured for large and refused to sign for them.
View Quote
That's how I got mediums.  Well after that and one argument with a fat retired supply nerd, which I won.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive used both mediums and larges. I prefer the mediums but currently have large.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#13]
Agreed with last several posts.  I size between... medium feels better, much much better movement, weighs less, costs less... went with mediums
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:39:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthCRF] [#14]
GGG minimalist with ggg and tt pouches. RMA 1155s. Heavy, but just for things going bump around house. Live in nice area, but neighbor 3 doors down got a mag dumped on his house last month Solidified my decision to order some plates.

Carrier is very comfortable for what it is. Entire setup (minus mags and fa contents) was around 300 catching everything on sales.

Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By StealthCRF:
GGG minimalist with ggg and tt pouches. RMA 1155s. Heavy, but just for things going bump around house. Live in nice area, but neighbor 3 doors down got a mag dumped on his house last month Solidified my decision to order some plates.

Carrier is very comfortable for what it is. Entire setup (minus mags and fa contents) was around 300 catching everything on sales.

https://i.imgur.com/CAAbiXz.jpg
View Quote
Simple but effective. How do you like having that med pouch up there?
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#16]
More pictures!!!
Here’s my Esstac Daeodon with cobra buckles and some Hesco 3810’s.

Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By stoner01:
View All Quotes

I haven't done much practice with it yet. It gets in the way of sling. I don't like the idea of hanging shit off a shingle, but like I said, it is for around the house only. I wanted it accessible with either hand. If I had to move anywhere with it I would get it out of the way.  Probably will move to a 2 mag piece and move it to strong side or find a way to move it up but not be in way of magazines.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't done much practice with it yet. It gets in the way of sling. I don't like the idea of hanging shit off a shingle, but like I said, it is for around the house only. I wanted it accessible with either hand. If I had to move anywhere with it I would get it out of the way.  Probably will move to a 2 mag piece and move it to strong side or find a way to move it up but not be in way of magazines.
View All Quotes

When I was running a BFG Plateminus years ago, I ran an HSGI Bleeder far left as viewed, then two rifle/ pistol Tacos. Ill dig up a pic of it later when I get home.
I would suggest trying that. Carry a basic blowout kit, two rifle, pistol mag and flashlight or two pistol mags. Will work great around the house.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Seiran:
I currently own large plates, and I am definitely not a large plate body type. It's...interesting. But I know I can take a hit anywhere on my torso down to my knees and the round will catch ceramic! So I've got that going for me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

The only thing protecting you is the armor in the carrier. If the armor hasn't changed the amount of protection hasn't changed.
Carriers (good ones anyway) come in different sizes, sized according to the size of plates you wear. You size yourself for plates and then get a carrier to match your plates. Carriers like the JPC, AWS OCPC, and LBT 6094 come in the SAPI size range, from Small to Extra Large. There actually is Extra Small as well but demand for that size is so low most manufacturers don't make anything for it.

How to size plates
Interesting article. Simply because he mentions down to belly button and that's longer than I've seen recommended from other guys
I couldn't imagine trying to move with a plate down to my belly button.
I currently own large plates, and I am definitely not a large plate body type. It's...interesting. But I know I can take a hit anywhere on my torso down to my knees and the round will catch ceramic! So I've got that going for me.
Fixt
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Well...you're not wrong I guess.
View All Quotes

How to size plates
Interesting article. Simply because he mentions down to belly button and that's longer than I've seen recommended from other guys
Fixt
Well...you're not wrong I guess.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:34:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#23]
Yeah I used to use Large plates but opted for Medium SAPIs, the weight and size of the plate was better for me then the Large SAPI. I run HESCO 3610s and the difference between M & L SAPI is 3/4" and the Large weigh .7 pounds more per plate.

That's 1.4 pounds just for 3/4"!!! I could save the weight and use that 1.4lb somewhere better like water
I also run a Source Kangaroo (1 liter) when full it it wieghs 2.8lbs. That wieght saved with the plates is half my water wieght
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:52:00 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
I have the same carrier. I found it much more comfortable with a set of the HSGI shoulder pads added. You can find them pop up in the EE for fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ki_soarer:

I have the same carrier. I found it much more comfortable with a set of the HSGI shoulder pads added. You can find them pop up in the EE for fairly cheap.
View Quote
Thanks. I'll look into them
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Range shot the other day:

6094A
Highcom 4S17M’s
G-Code Softshell scorpions
FC Dangler

Now just need to find the right spot for another tq holder

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JR12Valve:
Range shot the other day:

6094A
Highcom 4S17M’s
G-Code Softshell scorpions
FC Dangler

Now just need to find the right spot for another tq holder

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/406392/E18E3BE1-2F25-4F9B-ACC0-07E8B6A7BF7E_jpeg-1197103.JPG
View Quote
Im new to all this...how do ya like your 6094a?
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Attached to the side of the magazine panel?
View Quote
No room on the sides of the panel, thinking about the cummerbund, up high, or maybe on one of the softshells. Trying out the BFG so it’s just something I need to play around with.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Im new to all this...how do ya like your 6094a?
View Quote
I like it. Would buy again. And again .... and again .... and again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

How to size plates
Yeah.

Properly adjusted, the top of the plate should be even with the suprasternal notch (notch between the collarbones).

While coverage from there to the bellybutton covers most of the vitals, dropping to 1 knee can potentially have the thigh hit the bottom edge and jam that top edge into your throat as you're moving to shoulder a rifle. Not good. As with many, I prefer about 2" above the bellybutton.

The above is also one of the reasons I recommend avoiding single curve plates for anyone NOT shaped like an oil drum. Without the upper curve, single curve plates won't lay anywhere close to flat on someone with pecs. If the carrier is adjusted so the top edge lays flush, the bottom edge on a non-fatbody will flare out like the ballerina tutus on the hippos in Fantasia. That lower edge sticking out makes it VERY easy to hit with the thigh when dropping to 1 knee, driving the top edge into your throat.

Conversely, if the carrier with single curve plates is adjusted so the bottom is flush to the lower torso, the top edge will stick out 3-4" on a fit person. If you duck your head, you'll bash your chin/mouth into the top edge.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Am I the only one who was not happy with how RMA packaged the $199 level 4 plates that were on sale ?
Just one piece of bubble wrap on each plate
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JR12Valve:

I like it. Would buy again. And again .... and again .... and again.
View Quote
Will it fit big ass plates? Damn chest is 55 inches.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 3:21:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By snackgunner:
Am I the only one who was not happy with how RMA packaged the $199 level 4 plates that were on sale ?
Just one piece of bubble wrap on each plate
View Quote
Looked sufficient to me. It's thick bubble wrap. Box was undamaged. They are designed to handle impacts. Had box been mangled I might ask them to check, but no problem otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 2:57:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JaredCarpenter] [#35]
Got the barest of bones here. Waiting till after Christmas to pick up plates, and spiritus micro fight as ifak.

https://imgur.com/a/CROCkF2

Link Posted: 12/17/2019 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JaredCarpenter:
Got the barest of bones here. Waiting till after Christmas to pick up plates, and spiritus micro fight as ifak.

View Quote
I think you messed up the formatting. But also lol at the comment in the imgur post. People really hate that we can own plate carriers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
How do you plan on securing the Spiritus to your rig beyond velcro?
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By YaBoyKGTho:

I think you messed up the formatting. But also lol at the comment in the imgur post. People really hate that we can own plate carriers.
View Quote
Lol yea. I did it for funnies, and someone appreciated it lol.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
Swift clips
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Will it fit big ass plates? Damn chest is 55 inches.
View Quote
Going to venture out and say no. Carrier sizing is based on plate size, not person. I believe current LBT’s are still using SAPI? Need to look at my carrier tag.

Multi-Curve medium SAPI plates are a snug fit.

43” chest and it’s good for me. Would probably go with L, or maybe even XL.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Swift clips
View All Quotes

Swift clips
I realize that is the back of the slickter now...
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#42]

I realize that is the back of the slickter now...
View Quote
Lol yes
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Lol yes
View Quote
Good choice. I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
This is my first so i dont have a bunch of time and experience with anything else. So far, with no experience shooting with it on, i like how it feels with just the pc on. My idea is to keep it as light as i can amd streamlined. Im not kicking down doors and whatnot, just broadening my skillset. Ive done the 3 gun and uspsa comps, mow moving over to more long range and self defense type shooting. Also adding nods pretty soon for same reasons. Ive never done it and i want to :)
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#45]
This is my first so i dont have a bunch of time and experience with anything else. So far, with no experience shooting with it on, i like how it feels with just the pc on. My idea is to keep it as light as i can amd streamlined. Im not kicking down doors and whatnot, just broadening my skillset. Ive done the 3 gun and uspsa comps, mow moving over to more long range and self defense type shooting. Also adding nods pretty soon for same reasons. Ive never done it and i want to :)
View All Quotes

All good reasons. I like mine because it's light. And because if I want to, I can scale it up or down. I wish it had been around longer because, at least in my eyes, it's one of the best plate carriers out there. I can run it slick, or plus it all the way up to almost full armor and combat load. As shown below...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#46]
All good reasons. I like mine because it's light. And because if I want to, I can scale it up or down. I wish it had been around longer because, at least in my eyes, it's one of the best plate carriers out there. I can run it slick, or plus it all the way up to almost full armor and combat load. As shown below...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284414/20180524_165332_jpg-1199861.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284414/20180524_165544_jpg-1199862.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284414/20191204_204230_resized_jpg-1199863.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284414/20180524_165332_jpg-1199861.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284414/20180524_165544_jpg-1199862.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284414/20191204_204230_resized_jpg-1199863.JPG
I like this a lot.  I have the same mindset with my setup...and some of the same gear too.  Being able to scale up or down; and do it fast and easy is nice.

Love the slickster.!
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I want to add the MOLLE back panel for....reasons.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 3:57:39 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd like to get a plater carrier/chest rig. I don't have a lot of experience in where to look but would like to learn and pick something up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Spiritus microfight chest rig or a Haley Strategic for chest rigs. Any of the PCs with swift clips like the Slickster or Spiritus LV119. Reference my post above for a slickster/ spiritus combo
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 4:11:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#50]
I want to add the MOLLE back panel for....reasons.
View Quote
I have been going back and forth...could keep the flatpack or hydro on it amd when want to run covert just swap to slick back...no jeed to undo molle etc.

I also rigged up a quick doff strap for the shoulder...did some testing it works perfect.  Just fold the shoulder strap on the inside so the end is coming back out (but still in the carrier)...added a nylon strap that runs flat under the shoulder pads with a D ring or similar on the end to grab.  A quick hard jerk peels the shoulder stap out and peels away from the velcro releasing the entire shoulder strap from rear plate.   It works similar to on the jpc2. I can get the entire set up off in seconds with a helmet on.  debating on doing a perminant mod or not, which would just be a tappered end with a loop so i could add remove the strap as nessissary.  Ferro could just make them that way for no addiction cost and sell a "quick doff kit" with a strap and - ring... i should call and tell them
Page / 161
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top