Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2024 10:39:35 PM EDT
This thing was a basket case kit. Barrel and bolt welded together , ejector gone, broken bolt handle trash receiver sections etc. A new barrel and receiver later, I machined a new ejector, refinished the set and its good to go.

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
noice

Always thought they were sexy ass guns
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
That's awesome.
Where did you get the receiver?

What's up with the crest? Did they really use one that big sometimes, like for special units?
I've only seen little waffenamts on them (but I haven't seen many MP40s).
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Nah, I just liked it. Looks like a big waffenamt stamp. Its not really that big though . 3/4" or so wide. I got the 80% receiver from that guy in Latvia. No slot cut at all. Had to machine that and weld in the trunnion.

Made a suppressor for it today

Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 71Camaro427:
I got the 80% receiver from that guy in Latvia.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I got the 80% receiver from that guy in Latvia.
Is Varveklis the guy?
How much was that?

No slot cut at all. Had to machine that and weld in the trunnion.
Made a suppressor for it today
Nicely done.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:15:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 71Camaro427] [#6]
Yeah, thats the guy . It was 900 bucks. Yeah, just about choked on that one. I will say that from the time I oprdered it until it arrived? 3 days. I cant get shit from Georgia ( the state) in 3 days.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:12:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#7]
Yeah, thats the guy . It was 900 bucks. Yeah, just about choked on that one.
View Quote
Dang.

Ok since I'm curious and have never messed with building one of these, what made you choose that route versus starting with a Philly Ordnance tube or something? Looks like (from Google) a lot of guys salvage the front trunnion from a DEMIL and then weld that into a new receiver tube. Did you not have that front part to work with, or just didn't feel like messing with that, or what?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#8]
My first mg was an amnesty registered MP40. Purchased from a baptist minister in South Carolina.
It was all matching serial numbers.

It was a very sweet shooting subgun.  I placed #3 at Knob Creek in the subgun match with that fine old gun.

Enjoy sir

Your thread made my day.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, thats the guy . It was 900 bucks. Yeah, just about choked on that one. I will say that from the time I oprdered it until it arrived? 3 days. I cant get shit from Georgia ( the state) in 3 days.
View Quote

I had traded three existing AK's I hadn't shot in years  and a suppressed 22 that I built ( retail 1100 but my cost 400 ) for the kit and I looked around a bit at tubes. The Latvian one looked like the best one on the market to me so since the cash outlay wasn't that great I went with that one. I did have to change the barrel as the old one was garbage. That really stung more even at 300 bucks. It was a pretty ratty kit and didn't have a mag. Its fully rehabilitated now :).

FWIW even though the Latvian tube came with the trunnion soldered in I ended up having to weld it in anyway as the trunnion walked out shooting it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome, looks great. How's it shoot?
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:33:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 71Camaro427] [#11]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top