Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2024 3:46:56 PM EDT
I had my M249S out and figured I'd take some pics of the internals.  I have one of the first 1000 M249S's made from the initial release.  I never sent it back for the recall work, so it has the nicer trigger and the slide hammer is different from what you'd get now.  I've had people ask for pics, so I figured I'd take a few this time.  Ignore the Minimi parts - was messing with them.  

It's worthy of note that the bolt, carrier and hammer are not blued/melonited like the newer ones.

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat!  I was always interested in that “update”.

That’s my grail gun.

I think it’s cool you decided to keep it in the OG configuration.

I hope you can shoot it enough to buy a new  barrel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for posting these!
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Thanks for posting these!
View Quote
Absolutely.  I'll take a few more of the inside and other angles (in better light) tomorrow as well.  I'll also take some of the inside of the receiver, though I'm not 100% sure there are any changes on the receiver itself.

Here's a thread on FN forums where we were discussing the recall work a while ago...  I need to get the dimensions of the pre-recall parts for him.

https://www.fnforum.net/threads/m249s-recall-info-question.229320/page-3?post_id=1603514#post-1603514
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Have many of these gone to manufacturers to bypass purchasing Title II weapons direct from FN?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FADALdude:
Have many of these gone to manufacturers to bypass purchasing Title II weapons direct from FN?
View Quote
Idk where one could obtain that stat, but I’d think quite a few.

The current production version is just as good (for that purpose). I’ve seen a few people talk about welding up the earlier parts, for a conversion, but never actually seen one (or pics of one) that was converted that way.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting. Curious about the approximate round count on this…
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're asking about my 249S that's pictured - not many.  Less than 500.  I have another semi auto 249 in MK46 Mod 2 config, so I don't shoot this one very much.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
If you're asking about my 249S that's pictured - not many.  Less than 500.  I have another semi auto 249 in MK46 Mod 2 config, so I don't shoot this one very much.
View Quote

Makes sense. Is the Mod 2 furniture currently available somewhere?
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:30:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33] [#9]
The one pictured on FN's web site?  Unlikely.  

The MK46 Mod 2 is really just a lightened version of the M249.  The furniture is different on all of them; many use the standard clubfoot stock.  They use different handguards and heat shields depending upon the barrel they are using.  The main permanent differences are that it doesn't have the ability to use STANAG magazines and doesn't have the forward hard-mount to put it on a tripod or pintle.

Here's my MK46 Mod 2 - note that mine also uses an HK lower on it.  

And when you compare it with an actual M249S, you can see the differences:

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#10]
What makes the 1st gens better? I saw a video that shows the trigger assembly was modified for "safety". I'm seriously thinking of buying the Para model. Why is it more than the standard? The retractable stock?
If I buy the standard, how much to buy the bbl and stock? Break even or cheaper?
If I decide to finally go the NFA route, how difficult will it be for parts/assembly?
I really,  really want one of these and might even consider selling a few guns for it. Something I never thought I would do, lol.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Beautiful.
I'm looking at this one:
https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-m249s-para/
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:
What makes the 1st gens better? I saw a video that shows the trigger assembly was modified for "safety". I'm seriously thinking of buying the Para model. Why is it more than the standard? The retractable stock?
If I buy the standard, how much to buy the bbl and stock? Break even or cheaper?
If I decide to finally go the NFA route, how difficult will it be for parts/assembly?
I really,  really want one of these and might even consider selling a few guns for it. Something I never thought I would do, lol.
View Quote

The gen 1 guns that didn’t have recall work done have a much lighter trigger.  The 2nd generation and recall guns have triggers in the 15 plus pound range whereas gen 1 are around 6 - 8 lb range.  Supposedly the recall had more to do with ease of full auto conversion vs. “safety” issues.

You’re going to have to search google and gunbroker for price of parts to see what version of the gun makes most sense to you, but you can easily change out barrels and stocks if you change your mind later on.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Wespe:

The gen 1 guns that didn’t have recall work done have a much lighter trigger.  The 2nd generation and recall guns have triggers in the 15 plus pound range whereas gen 1 are around 6 - 8 lb range.  Supposedly the recall had more to do with ease of full auto conversion vs. “safety” issues.

You’re going to have to search google and gunbroker for price of parts to see what version of the gun makes most sense to you, but you can easily change out barrels and stocks if you change your mind later on.
View Quote

Thank you.
I read some other threads and also saw a bolt carrier group on gun broer that is serialized for full auto. So if I buy the gun and then do the paperwork for th FA, will the gun need to be destroyed after I;m gone (provided I go the Individual route), or just the bolt carrier? Pardon my questions, but if OP prefers, I can move this to the NFA forum.
This and an MP5 are the only full-autos that I would be interested in ownning.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Thank you.
I read some other threads and also saw a bolt carrier group on gun broer that is serialized for full auto. So if I buy the gun and then do the paperwork for th FA, will the gun need to be destroyed after I;m gone (provided I go the Individual route), or just the bolt carrier? Pardon my questions, but if OP prefers, I can move this to the NFA forum.
This and an MP5 are the only full-autos that I would be interested in ownning.
View Quote
Just to clarify, the only way to make an M249S into full auto is to be a Type 7 FFL with a Type 2 SOT.

The only other way to legally own a full auto M249 is to buy one of the very few pre-86 transferrables.  In fact, I think there is only one out there and it's well into the six-figures.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Just to clarify, the only way to make an M249S into full auto is to be a Type 7 FFL with a Type 2 SOT.

The only other way to legally own a full auto M249 is to buy one of the very few pre-86 transferrables.  In fact, I think there is only one out there and it's well into the six-figures.
View Quote

This was my plan,to get the type 2 SOT. Might just get a lawyer to do th legwork for me. How difficult is it to get?
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 11:07:06 AM EDT
[#16]
No idea - but I do know that you can't just get one because you want a FA M249.  You have to have a legitimate business to get it approved and your location needs to be zoned properly.  That's a question that's more appropriate for the FFL forum though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#17]
No idea - but I do know that you can't just get one because you want a FA M249.  You have to have a legitimate business to get it approved and your location needs to be zoned properly.  That's a question that's more appropriate for the FFL forum though.
View Quote

Dang. Thanks for the info. Not sure that I want to get all involved with a business and other hoops. I might still just get one to add to the collection. They just look so cool.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Dang. Thanks for the info. Not sure that I want to get all involved with a business and other hoops. I might still just get one to add to the collection. They just look so cool.
View Quote

Don't be discouraged if you want an FFL. It's certainly do-able if you are able to have a "manufacturing" business at your residence or property in your locality. The biggest hurdle is always making sure you comply with all the business rules for your state/city/county. But once you have those taken care of, FFL's are essentially shall-issue.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#19]
The one pictured on FN's web site?  Unlikely.  

The MK46 Mod 2 is really just a lightened version of the M249.  The furniture is different on all of them; many use the standard clubfoot stock.  They use different handguards and heat shields depending upon the barrel they are using.  The main permanent differences are that it doesn't have the ability to use STANAG magazines and doesn't have the forward hard-mount to put it on a tripod or pintle.

Here's mine - note that mine also uses an HK lower on it.  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51839384308_de277a4c77_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51839267991_c74d433677_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51797145623_1a308094c4_k.jpg

And when you compare it with an actual M249S, you can see the differences:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51944874887_6fdc8394f5_k.jpg

View Quote

I really dig your Mk46! I've seen photos of it before and I stupidly passed up the opportunity to get a kit-built one on sturm with an HK trigger pack on sturm a few months ago. Was yours a kit build, too?
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Flevvy:

Don't be discouraged if you want an FFL. It's certainly do-able if you are able to have a "manufacturing" business at your residence or property in your locality. The biggest hurdle is always making sure you comply with all the business rules for your state/city/county. But once you have those taken care of, FFL's are essentially shall-issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flevvy:

I was contemplating getting an LLC for another matter. I wonder if this will help.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:48:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33] [#21]
Ok, time to take the FFL discussion elsewhere to some other topic rather than further derailing this one.  

Getting this back on track, I've posted additional pics of the original internals.

https://www.fnforum.net/threads/m249s-recall-info-question.229320/page-4  

You'll have to ignore the German Shepherd hair on some of the parts.

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FNGfromGA] [#22]
I have M249S Para that I have never fired, nor have I sent I back for the “recall”.. I do need to take it out some time , but really don’t see the necessity of the recall unless I want to strengthen my right index finger with the new and crappy trigger pull.

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, those are some great pics. Solid machine work on that steel.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Just got my 249s in last night, new from the factory so I expected post-recall, and got post-recall parts.  working with a guy trying to design a super safety
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top