Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2024 1:39:08 PM EDT
I’m selling a suppressor that I currently have on a form 4 to an out of state resident that’s a member of arfcom. I’ve bought a lot of stuff but never sold anything. I already contacted my local sot about doing the transfer so they know what’s going on. I’m looking for clarity on what I need to do next to start the transfer to my local sot. Really just looking for any pointers of stuff that I can make a mistake on. Is it just a standard form 4 I need to print off and fill out to mail in or is it different being it’s going to a sot? My first few suppressor purchases were all paper forms pre Eform but it’s been a while.  Does the sit have to send in prints and pictures ect? Or just their sot info. I know to copy everything from the current existing form 4, and I hold onto the suppressor until I receive the approved form 4 back correct? Any guesses how long a form 4 to a sot will take?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll do a paper form 4, only FFLs can initiate an eForm 4.

You are the Transferor, the dealer is the Transferee.  You can fill in your part and they can fill in theirs.  Either you or the end buyer is on the hook for the $200 tax here, and yes you keep the can until it comes back approved.

I'm assuming "your SOT" is in your state, so from there they will transfer it to a dealer in the end buyer's state using a form 3, this is tax free and should clear fairly quickly.  Then your buyer will get it from his dealer with another form 4, that one will be the same process as if they were buying a new can from that dealer, just that you got the payment for it obviously.  At the end of the day, it's two $200 taxes paid, two from 4s and a form 3.  Make sure all parties are lined up and aware of the overall plan as well, since it will involve two third parties (the dealers).
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! Yep I’m aware of the two tax stamps involved and all the fees are sorted out. My dealer / local sot is in my state and has already agreed to help me out. And a google searched told me I had to file paper. I don’t follow the eforms updates much anymore.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 2:28:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bimmertech87] [#3]
Next question, when I download the form 4 from the atf website it shows a x marking out the signature boxes for the transferee and transferor is this normal or is there a different form I’m not seeing?

Also it’s ok to write in by hand correct? It doesn’t have to be typed?
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what you're seeing, this is the current version to use:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/form/form-4-application-tax-paid-transfer-and-registration-firearm-atf-form-53204/download

And yes, you can print and fill out by hand.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 2:56:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bimmertech87] [#5]
[Attachment Attached File

This is what I was concerned about. I apologize for all the tarded questions, just don’t want to make a mess for the buyer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 3:25:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#6]
You using an Apple device or something other than a Windows PC?  Their PDF files are really only well formatted for opening in Adobe Reader on a Windows machine, other PDF programs can cause weird incompatibility issues and could be your problem.

When I click my link above and download the file to open on the desktop in Reader, I don't see what you have there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea I was trying to use my iPhone. I opened it up on the work pc and it all looked good. The silencer shop form generator might be the easiest route though. I forgot how picky all the atf stuff is about what browser you use ect.

Thanks again for all the help! It’s greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that you could form 4 it directly to your out of state buyer's SOT. It is still a two stamp proposition.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cajun22:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that you could form 4 it directly to your out of state buyer's SOT. It is still a two stamp proposition.
View Quote

Yes transfer it directly to the buyer's FFL no need going through an in state dealer on your end.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cajun22:
View Quote

You can.  The problem is shipping by a non-licensee.  Both an SBR and SBS count as concealable firearms under USPS regs so a non-licensee may not mail them, and FedEx and UPS's policies prohibit shipping by a non-licensee.  I don't know if USPS treats a suppressor as a concealable firearm or not.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_008.htm#ep344365
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top