Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2024 1:31:08 PM EDT
Alright,
So at this point I have a Howa mini in .223, and two gen 1 RARs (7.62x39 and 5.56).  Unfortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to fire any of them yet .  I DO want a bolt gun in .300bo to SBR and suppress.  I've been trying to find a RAR gen 1, but they're few and far between.  When you do find one, their priced pretty ridiculously for what they are.  That being said, it looks like Howa released another "batch" of the mini actions in .300bo.  SOOOO...get a Howa (for what the Ruger gen 1s are going for), or hold out for the RAR?
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The Howa seems to have better quality control and I think is a nicer action.  Where did you see the Howa .300 Blk?  As far as I know they discontinued them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Two NIB ones on GB right now
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Howa
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#4]
All I know is my Howa mini action in .223 is a laser beam so I’d buy another one in any caliber in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 4:08:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eliteII:
The Howa seems to have better quality control and I think is a nicer action.  Where did you see the Howa .300 Blk?  As far as I know they discontinued them.
View Quote

That's what I thought too.  I had wanted one for YEARS, but gave up and started looking for a Ruger.  Now, THEY'RE hard to find and I'm finding Howas.  Go figure.  FYI, Rangerwalker71 (dealer in ee) has 'em for $535 shipped.  Can't beat that!
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 4:16:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Curmudgeon762] [#6]
Originally Posted By tatsngats:
All I know is my Howa mini action in .223 is a laser beam so I’d buy another one in any caliber in a heartbeat.
View Quote

I have on older one and I never could get it to shoot well many years ago. I even bedded the action and got no improvement. I think i was just using generic 55gr ammo. What shoots well in yours?

Edit. Ignore above. Mine is an Interarms Mini. My Howa 7mm mag is a tack driver though
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
My first impression is that the Howa is finished a little better than the Ruger. It's also smaller which some people like. The Ruger has gained a decent aftermarket which might come into play depending on what you want to end up with. Magazines is another big difference with the Ruger using AR mags and the Howa using it's proprietary mag. If you like the idea of high capacity and cheap available mags the Ruger wins out handily.

I bought a Howa back when Brownells had them and waited forever to find a chassis to build on now I just need to put it all together. Honestly if I was doing it over I'd probably just buy the Ruger and chop the barrel and go on about my business. A howa with an AR mag would be the best of both worlds but I'm not even sure the mini action could accommodate it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:59:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I had two, now just one of the Minis in 6arc, they are awesome rifles for the money, really well made.  I had several RARs over the years 300blk, 260rem, and 30-06, and they were great guns too.  For me, I'd like AR magazine compatibility for 300blk, my original RAR in blk used their rotary mag and I hated it.  I converted my current Mini over to CZ mags because I hate the factory Howa mags, but they are fine and work well for what they are.  Really can't go wrong with either, but I prefer the Howa action for sure, its more like a Rem700 with some improvements while the RAR is kind of its own thing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
LGS confirmed yesterday that the gen 1's are most likely definitely discontinued.  He said their distributors are "blowing them out", and the only ones they seem to have left are 350 legend and 6.5 Grendel
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 3:59:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
LGS confirmed yesterday that the gen 1's are most likely definitely discontinued.  He said their distributors are "blowing them out", and the only ones they seem to have left are 350 legend and 6.5 Grendel
View Quote
where in MD are you ?

bass pro in ashland Va has the gen 1 RAR 300blk in stock , and on sale

if you have a bass pro or cabella's near you maybe order it online and have it shipped to the closest store to you
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, it looks like the Howas are back!  Wikiarms shows 'em being in stock at many places, lots sub-$450
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 3:38:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbooker82] [#12]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Well, it looks like the Howas are back!  Wikiarms shows 'em being in stock at many places, lots sub-$450
View Quote

Brownells also has the barreled actions. So you might be able to do a pistol build.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-receivers-parts/1500-300blk-16.25-heavy-threaded-barrel-mini-action/
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jbooker82:

Brownells also has the barreled actions. So you might be able to do a pistol build.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-receivers-parts/1500-300blk-16.25-heavy-threaded-barrel-mini-action/
View Quote

Dang, I pulled the trigger on one from another online store … the brownells action would have saved me a few bucks….  Oh well, I am glad I finally got one to put in my JTAC Elf Owl chassis….. it would be cool to have the option of a pistol
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Why not a Ruger Gen 2. I just picked up a Gen 2 in 5.56 and it's been than the gen 1 I have. Smooth action, better stock,
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
Why not a Ruger Gen 2. I just picked up a Gen 2 in 5.56 and it's been than the gen 1 I have. Smooth action, better stock,
View Quote

I plan to SBR it, and the fluted barrel would look weird when chopped
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I think fluted barrels look fine chopped
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the RAR better once I changed the stock.  

Realistically does it matter which one you buy if you are not going to shoot it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Howa 1500 mini in .223. I shot a couple of sub 1/2 MOA groups last weekend in it ammo testing. These were commercially loaded rounds not optimized reloads. The action is smooth. Mine is in a chassis so it uses AI mags. The only thing with mine was I couldn't get the trigger where I wanted it so I replaced it with a 6oz Jard.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd like to get a Howa mini in a sporter configuration in 6mm ARC.  I think that would make a great low recoil deer rifle for new shooters.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HAGDADDY:
I'd like to get a Howa mini in a sporter configuration in 6mm ARC.  I think that would make a great low recoil deer rifle for new shooters.
View Quote

Just saw a Grendel at the local cabelas. Heavyish barrel so maybe not a sporter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By HAGDADDY:
View Quote

Brownells has the barreled actions in 6 arc in their 22” sporter barrel or carbon fiber
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top