Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2024 2:24:06 PM EDT
Anyone else attempt this? Who’s the ape at S&W they had Mongo-ing the FHs down on these guns?!

Removal tips would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, the FH came off my M&P15-22P just fine.  My carbine?  Nope.  I even bought the "reaction rod" for it, and still no-joy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Yeah, the FH came off my M&P15-22P just fine.  My carbine?  Nope.  I even bought the "reaction rod" for it, and still no-joy.
View Quote

Probably going to have to get a barrel vise to de-Mongo it.

I have been reading up on people who actually damaged their rifles by reaming on them while trying to remove the FH.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a barrel vice and it easily came off.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I just removed the F.H. of my ten year old 15-22 on Friday.
I laid the rifle on its side on a soft surface. Put the open end of a 3/4” wrench on the flats of the flash hider. Stuck the other end of the wrench with dead low hammer in a counter clockwise direction and it was enough to break it free.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont recall mine being difficult to get off at all.

FYI you might need a spacer as the threads are pretty long.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 11:07:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottXD] [#6]
My rifle was easy, the pistol was an absolute ball buster. Since it was the pistol there wasn't enough exposed barrel to put in the vice. I ended up removing the handguard end cap and cutting it off the barrel. Then I could get the handguard and barrel nut off to get it in the vice.

Even with all that it took several deadblow whacks to get that bitch loose. Good luck to you.

Numrich carries the end caps if you end up cutting it off and strippes uppers if shit goes really sideways.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
mine came off easy, on the bright side, once you get yours off, they are a blast with a can :)
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Kroil + Heat
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:
Kroil + Heat
View Quote

Started with Kroil and will blast with heat probably tomorrow…

If it goes completely off the rails and I can’t get the thing off, I did find that Volquartsen has match grade barrels I can swap in. I’d have to save a bit because their barrel cost as much as the gun IIRC, but it’s an option.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DrRemulak:
I used a barrel vice and it easily came off.
View Quote

When I used to own one, I found that you have to use a barrel vise to properly secure it in the vise before attempting to do so. You cannot use anything else because of the polymer receiver.

Once you have the barrel secured, you can then apply a little heat if necessary to the flash hider, then try taking it off. Mine also came off pretty easy without the need to do that, but maybe S&W is applying more locktite or something.

Here is the barrel vise parts I used

https://www.tacticool22.com/product/barrel-vise-jaws-for-rifle-and-pistol-barrels/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top