Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2019 3:04:37 AM EDT
Were there ever any modern cut BDU's in Rhodesian Brushstroke camo?

I don't want the repro stuff, but thought tru spec or one of the manufacturers made a 100% cotton ripstop 6 pocket BDU pant years ago in brushstroke.

I can't find anyplace that sells them.  Maybe they didn't exist?

Any info would be great
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Tru Spec did a run in some modern cuts maybe 3 years ago or so.  I think they or someone else well-known did some a number of years earlier as well.  Not sure how correct the camo pattern was, though.

The stuff made by Fireforce Ventures has been mostly in more modern BDU-style cuts.  Their latest runs look like they'll include more period-correct cuts.  Their camo pattern looks pretty correct.  They have some stuff in-stock and are taking pre-orders on other stuff, last I checked.

The other runs done using the correct camo pattern (or something close enough as to be nearly indistinguishable) include the stuff that Trident made a while back as well as some runs done by a European guy through the New Rhodesian Forum, but all of these used cuts that were close or exact copies of original uniforms.

Everyone else who has made it, AFAIK, has had some sort of major flaw in the pattern, usually getting the pattern and/or colours wrong.  One example that I have from the 1980s (produced in South Africa) has almost a lime-green colour plus a purplish brown, with a very different tan background colour as well.  The pattern is very obviously off, enough that you don't need to have a side-by-side comparison to notice it.  Bertus in South Africa got everything right as far as I know except that he had the brown overlap the green (the opposite is correct).  Not sure if he corrected that or even still produces stuff.  His offerings included SA-pattern uniform cuts and others.  Some of the Zimbabwean stuff supposedly made its way out, but the colours are a bit different and the pattern is slightly different as well (the Zims are currently making and using this stuff plus breaking out old stocks of original Rhodesian stuff that's been in storage since they adopted the lizard-stripe in the 1980s).
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I would love some modern BDUs in Rhodesian. Only thing I have is a beat up flap cap I got from Trident years ago. It's a great scrub pattern for the high desert where I am. When I do find it available, it's very limited runs and very expensive, so I have to go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would love some modern BDUs in Rhodesian. Only thing I have is a beat up flap cap I got from Trident years ago. It's a great scrub pattern for the high desert where I am. When I do find it available, it's very limited runs and very expensive, so I have to go be poor somewhere else.
View Quote
It's an excellent pattern for the part of SoCal where I live.  Once it fades as good bit, it also works pretty well in much of the high desert, too.  It's a pretty good all-around pattern for much of California.  I wish it were readily available at more affordable prices.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Glitch
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#6]
There are some custom shops out there working with it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are some custom shops out there working with it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/188236/20190421_104633_jpg-943594.JPG
View Quote
That’s not Rhodie - it’s evil nahtzee splintertarn, hence “forbidden cryes” lol.  The guy that made them though has made G3 cut uniforms in rhodie before.  Probably not with 100% correct material like fire force ventures and others, but it looks good.  Cantactical was another Canadian company that tried to make rhodie crye uniforms; I actually had a set on order but they never followed through.  Here’s some screenshots of where the forbidden Cryes come from:
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That’s not Rhodie - it’s evil nahtzee splintertarn, hence “forbidden cryes” lol.  The guy that made them though has made G3 cut uniforms in rhodie before.  Probably not with 100% correct material like fire force ventures and others, but it looks good.  Cantactical was another Canadian company that tried to make rhodie crye uniforms; I actually had a set on order but they never followed through.  Here’s some screenshots of where the forbidden Cryes come from:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/43810/8F75BAD4-65FB-4D59-987F-D7C0610C053B_jpeg-943760.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/43810/F74E5EAE-A3BC-47F6-945B-1958F985A513_jpeg-943761.JPG
View Quote
I stand corrected, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a set of Fireforce Ventures Rhodesian Brushstroke Combat uniforms. They are awesome. Not BDU cut, more like Crye Cut. Really cool company, great Facebook and Instagram pages, and hated by the liberal media. They are well worth supporting and provide excellent gear.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Check these guys out:
https://instagram.com/p/BtW6Pt6HzWq/
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like the one guy used the Rhodie paint colours on his carbine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Combat shirt in Rhodie is awesome!
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Judging from the pictures, if "wet season" brushstroke camo works that well in arid/semi-arid environments, I'd love to see how the short-lived "dry season" variant would do.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Judging from the pictures, if "wet season" brushstroke camo works that well in arid/semi-arid environments, I'd love to see how the short-lived "dry season" variant would do.
View Quote
It looks like it would work very well.  The most significant change is replacing the green with a yellow-ish colour not too far off from that of some dry brush.  I think the shades of tan and brown are a tad different, too.

I have seen a sort of true wet season Rhodie that was never adopted and was only produced commercially in-country back then.  The tan base is replaced by a pale green colour, like the wet-season version of the lizard stripe camo that replaced the Rhodie stuff until the late 1990s.  Makes it green-dominant instead of more brown-dominant like the standard stuff.  I've only seen t-shirts in the pattern.

ETA the dry season stuff and the standard against dry brush:

Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top