Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2024 10:30:51 PM EDT
Anyone know of a patch or product to help with wear and tear on the fabric cover of a rifle plate? Google let me down and duct tape seems wrong. It’s not been dropped, the cover is just coming off at the heat seal.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Cordura wrap might be worth a look. The type that people do holster wraps with.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By northcoastwizard:

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)

" target="_blank">Cordura wrap
might be worth a look. The type that people do holster wraps with.
View Quote

I was going to say to just suck it up and use a quality duct tape  (which isn't a bad option) but the above idea is worth looking into.  You will have to be REALLY careful and keel it flat, don't let little creases form, or it will just peel off.  

You can make the above, btw, by using a good piece of cordura (melt the edges with a lighter) and 3M brand 'Super 77' adhesive spray  (look in the fabric section at Walmart).  500D cordura will probably be a better choice?

You might want to hit all the edges of the fabric patch with duct tape anyways to make sure it doesn't peel up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 1:01:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MJ11B4P] [#3]
We used to get issued Multicam repair patches for IOTV body armor and uniforms while deployed. Would probably be perfect for that application. I’ll check my stash-o-crap to see if I have any.

Shoot me a PM in case I lose this thread
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I was going to say to just suck it up and use a quality duct tape  (which isn''t a bad option) but the above idea is worth looking into.  You will have to be REALLY careful and keel it flat, don''t let little creases form, or it will just peel off.  You can make the above, btw, by using a good piece of cordura (melt the edges with a lighter) and 3M brand ''Super 77'' adhesive spray  (look in the fabric section at Walmart).  500D cordura will probably be a better choice?You might want to hit all the edges of the fabric patch with duct tape anyways to make sure it doesn''t peel up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I’d say hit it with some spray epoxy/bedliner stuff.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I’d use a ‘hi shock” epoxy. Those have a little flexibility to them and aren’t brittle
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By northcoastwizard:
Cordura wrap might be worth a look. The type that people do holster wraps with.
View Quote

Thanks for the replies, I wanted to wrap a holster anyway so I got some 3M cordura wrap on the way, my brain could not connect that as the solution for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:56:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#8]
Stuff like this in high wear area, I use some sort of repair glue, such as Barge cement, or McNett Seam Grip (if you can find it).  You need a rubber component that will adhere to the base material yet is flexible enough to take a hit without cracking and peeling off.  

You could use some sort of patch as a field expedient, but eventually you'll be right back where you started.  

If you want it to look purty, incorporate a small patch of the base material (just enough to cover hole, no overlap, and let the adhesive do the heavy lifting.  It should be encapsulated in the repair adhesive, both front and back.  Meaning you lay a base layer of adhesive, then saturate the patch and lay it down, then cover with another layer of adhesive.  

I used Barge cement for many years, then switched to Seam Grip, and now am back to Barge.  There is a new company that still makes Seam Grip just don't remember the name off-hand.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Diz:
Stuff like this in high wear area, I use some sort of repair glue, such as Barge cement, or McNett Seam Grip (if you can find it).  You need a rubber component that will adhere to the base material yet is flexible enough to take a hit without cracking and peeling off.  

You could use some sort of patch as a field expedient, but eventually you'll be right back where you started.  

If you want it to look purty, incorporate a small patch of the base material (just enough to cover hole, no overlap, and let the adhesive do the heavy lifting.  It should be encapsulated in the repair adhesive, both front and back.  Meaning you lay a base layer of adhesive, then saturate the patch and lay it down, then cover with another layer of adhesive.  

I used Barge cement for many years, then switched to Seam Grip, and now am back to Barge.  There is a new company that still makes Seam Grip just don't remember the name off-hand.
View Quote

Barge Cement is great  (get the original version ,not the new version)

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:50:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: norco] [#10]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:
Originally Posted By Diz:

I got what the hardware store had for Barge, probably the “new” version since its is labeled as “toluene free”.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jhon] [#11]
While I haven't used it on plates, I've had success with cordura on my IIIA vest carrier. I always seem to get holes in the corners of the front panel carrier where it overlaps the rear panel. These carriers are pretty thin and light since they are designed to go under a shirt. Cut a cordura patch to fit and glued it with 3M Super 77. It's held up to daily wear. Just be aware that 3M Super 77 is not coming off once its on there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Shoe Goo - "I put that sh*t on everything"

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#13]
There it is.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#14]
This is what is used to patch them not sure if it’s the same manufacturer or if they’re available commercially.

https://www.sourceonetactical.com/spall-cover-repair-patch-sapi-plate/
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Tenacious tape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top