Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2024 10:11:44 PM EDT
Has anyone played with this in real life yet? The video below seems to like it.

No connection to the device or the YouTube video.

The BEST Budget IR Device I Have Ever Seen
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:30:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThatGuy01] [#1]
I have one for my MP5. It shines on a PCC. I wouldn't use it for beyond 75yds.

It is 100% a rip on the XVL2 but, IMO, more usable since it doesn't have that ass-tastic 'Maxvision' flood that Surefire went with. It does have a flood but there's also a distinct hot spot which makes it more usable (I've used both).
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:46:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kel] [#2]
When it first came out, everyone was like "Oooh. Cheap multifunction!" but then reviews were that it was weakish on all beams. Hey, it's a pistol laser/light... but people wanted it to be a rifle long distance thing too.
So they just recently released a "XL" version, and then went for broke with a full power version as well (progressively more expensive with each power bump, but still under $500 for the midline one.) You can see the power levels between the three versions.

Edit to add: watched the YouTube video you posted. I agree with the Tuber guy that too much IR laser can result in a bloom problem. People often go buy the most amped up Chinese deathray because "Muh fullpower!" but if it's a twinkling glare that washes out the target, then it's not particularly useful. The FP version of this might get into those issues.

I'd rather have a boost in the white light reach and brightness, personally. Possibly settings that could lower output for close in. Add those features and that would make this a more "does everything" compact unit. Review footage showed the white light seemed lacking there compared to the Surefires he used.

Personally, I'd think the middle "XP" model is the sweet spot of their product line.
Higher IR illuminator, double the vis laser power (matters in bright conditions) and a higher power IR laser - but not FP overpowered - at a mid price.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 1:06:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:
I have one for my MP5. It shines on a PCC. I wouldn't use it for beyond 75yds.

It is 100% a rip on the XVL2 but, IMO, more usable since it doesn't have that ass-tastic 'Maxvision' flood that Surefire went with. It does have a flood but there's also a distinct hot spot which makes it more usable (I've used both).
View Quote

Got a picture of it setup on your MP5?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
https://i.imgur.com/n4m1d3C.jpeg
View Quote

That looks nice. You happy with it? Was thinking of picking one up to run on my Flux Raider or SP5. You happy with it? Good enough for 100-125m range and in?
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 6:57:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThatGuy01] [#7]
Yep, no complaints. I've only used it once at night so far but it's held zero. I'm still playing with mounting solutions but this is the best option I've found by far for the MP5. Not too many cantilever mount options out there unfortunately.

I've shot it out to ~70-80m at night with no issues, I think 125m might be pushing it but still doable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#8]
The illuminator is good for at least 100 yards on mine. The illuminator is better than the civ power Dbal A3 illuminator on high.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PineappleDevil:
The illuminator is good for at least 100 yards on mine. The illuminator is better than the civ power Dbal A3 illuminator on high.
View Quote

I wonder if a beam shaper could be made for it? Who is it that does something similar - Villain Wpns Syst?
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The QD clamp fitting or not fitting on the rail is what's stopping me from ordering one. Seems like a dice roll, especially since I'd be putting it on an APC9. If they made the clamp adjustable, I'd probably spring for one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TheRat:
The QD clamp fitting or not fitting on the rail is what's stopping me from ordering one. Seems like a dice roll, especially since I'd be putting it on an APC9. If they made the clamp adjustable, I'd probably spring for one.
View Quote

Supposedly a new mount design is suppose to be coming with new models soon. Thats what I am waiting for.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Are there any holsters that will fit the XLV2 and this GL4?
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 6:38:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scostu] [#13]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Are there any holsters that will fit the XLV2 and this GL4?
View Quote

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/ragnaroksd/
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 7:47:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kilroymcb] [#14]
I have one on my CZ Bren 2. It's holding up after one range session. Its a floody illuminator, but I think it will be useful to at least 100-150 yards. Hasn't lost zero yet.
Attachment Attached File

Edit: two range sessions. I noticed that the click adjustments on this thing are enormous. It must be something like 2 MOA per. Definitely designed for a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Basically fills the same role as the XLV2 from Surefire, just at a more affordable price tag at the risk of Chinese QC issues.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2024 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, no complaints. I've only used it once at night so far but it's held zero. I'm still playing with mounting solutions but this is the best option I've found by far for the MP5. Not too many cantilever mount options out there unfortunately.

I've shot it out to ~70-80m at night with no issues, I think 125m might be pushing it but still doable.
View Quote

Out of curiosity, what is the cantilever mount for? Wouldn’t you be able to mount it on the rail at  3 o’ clock?
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Sure, but this is way less clunky and minimizes suppressor shadow on the illuminator.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Sure, but this is way less clunky and minimizes suppressor shadow on the illuminator.
View Quote

I was thinking personal preference like that but didn’t know if there was more to it than that. I appreciate the reply.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I just got one of these in from Cold Harbor Supply.  It has the new version of the rail clamp arm with the cuts, which is good because without those it wouldn't have fit on the Magpul Mlok to Pic rail I put it on.

Initial impressions are it feels well built, haven't gotten any shooting time yet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
I just got one of these in from Cold Harbor Supply.  It has the new version of the rail clamp arm with the cuts, which is good because without those it wouldn't have fit on the Magpul Mlok to Pic rail I put it on.

Initial impressions are it feels well built, haven't gotten any shooting time yet.
View Quote

@D-Man dunno if you’ve got the ability to film but I’d love to see how well targets are illuminated at 50yds with one if these on IR illum & white light illum.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bdover:

@D-Man dunno if you’ve got the ability to film but I’d love to see how well targets are illuminated at 50yds with one if these on IR illum & white light illum.
View Quote

See if this 4MR Ranch video helps:

RovyVon Showdown | Budget IR
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bdover:

@D-Man dunno if you've got the ability to film but I'd love to see how well targets are illuminated at 50yds with one if these on IR illum & white light illum.
View Quote
Yea I'll try to compare it to my real SF 300 vamp.  If not this weekend then next since I'll be at a shoot then for the holiday.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Has there been any talks of them making a new version that has more throw on the IR illuminator?
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ashiha:
Has there been any talks of them making a new version that has more throw on the IR illuminator?
View Quote

I haven't heard anything about that, and it's hard to see how they'd be able to pull it off in this form factor.  Realistically, it has enough throw for a pistol optic as it is.

That said, I do think there's a pretty substantial market for a one-and-done-type device that integrated a high-candela WL and a high-throw IR illuminator. The CTF-2 came close, but lack of a co-aligned vis laser and crane port made it fall a bit short. If it was a 100% integrated solution made overseas, I expect they might be able to deliver something pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By erwos:

I haven't heard anything about that, and it's hard to see how they'd be able to pull it off in this form factor.  Realistically, it has enough throw for a pistol optic as it is.

That said, I do think there's a pretty substantial market for a one-and-done-type device that integrated a high-candela WL and a high-throw IR illuminator. The CTF-2 came close, but lack of a co-aligned vis laser and crane port made it fall a bit short. If it was a 100% integrated solution made overseas, I expect they might be able to deliver something pretty impressive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By erwos:
Originally Posted By ashiha:

To be honest, it isn't even really about the throw for me, but the excess of spill. I don't really need my own feet illuminated when pointing the thing forward. Usually even indoors you get enough illumination from reflections that something with that much spill is just complete unnecessary. I'd even be fine with it if they just blocked the edges off.

That 4MR video really shows how nuts the spill really is and the Brassfacts video expounds on why it's an issue.

If that and the QD fitment issues get resolved, I'll definitely buy.

The good thing about these Chinese products that I've noticed is that they tend to iterate on versions much quicker than we're used to here in the west.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Still out on the horizon of purchases for me, but eventually I want to put together a PCC and so far this looks like it would make the perfect MFAL for it.

I don't mind real good IR flood on something like a Pistol or PCC that is being used primarily for short distances. So, I think they made a good choice there, but the only thing I would say I wish they had done differently is make the mount a bit more user adjustable/tightening so that you could fit it to more options.  Seems to be on ongoing issue with Chinese MFALs is that they just don't lock up on every rail, which is also an issue with U.S. rail specs, but the former is easier to fix than the later.

Top Top