Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2024 8:20:55 PM EDT
Hello gents,

Picked up a Ruger American Predator in 308 a few weeks ago.  For a budget rifle it can be amazing !    With the right ammo she will hold a 1 inch group at 100 yards if I do may part.

I have a TON of surplus 7.62 X 51 on hand - the main reason I bought a rifle in 308.  I have Radway, Hirt, Port and S. African ball ammo.  It all shots fine - except the S. African.  When shooting the S. African surplus the bolt will "stick" after firing.  Bolt will rotate but can not pull it to the rear.  If I tap the bolt handle with a wooden mallet it will open.  No real sign of high pressure.

Any ideas on what is going on ? ?

Thanks !

BTW - "89" dated Radway will hold one inch groups at 100 yards if I do my part.  Amazing surplus ammo if you can still find it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2024 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to say having to hammer the bolt open is a sign of high pressure.  Might not be too high for the gun but the brass is moving in ways it shouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I recall some discussion about 7.62 NATO specs and .308 Winchester specs being slightly different. IIRC, the discussion centered around an individual who was shooting 7.62 NATO ball ammo in his Remington 742 and having FTE during the course of firing. Something about the leade in civilian .308 Winchester chambers being to short for 7.62 NATO ball ammo. Maybe some one here remembers more on this subject than I do, as it's been probably twenty to twenty five years ago.
Gary
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 2:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
That SA ammo was HOT! That is why it is sticking. Either pull it down and take out about 2grs of powder or find a SA 762 gun
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tommee-boy-72:
That SA ammo was HOT! That is why it is sticking. Either pull it down and take out about 2grs of powder or find a SA 762 gun
View Quote
NATO spec for 7.62 is not as hot as commercial .308 Winchester.

Link Posted: 6/6/2024 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The South African ammo does NOT have a NATO headstamp - nor the box.

I'll keep the S African for my FALs

Thanks for the replies !
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Was your ammo actually SA?

A relative bought (what was advertised as) a can of South African 7.62 (with an importer label reflecting the same). The can may have been from SA but the ammo inside had Indian headstamps.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BankerBilly:
Hello gents,

Picked up a Ruger American Predator in 308 a few weeks ago.  For a budget rifle it can be amazing !    With the right ammo she will hold a 1 inch group at 100 yards if I do may part.

I have a TON of surplus 7.62 X 51 on hand - the main reason I bought a rifle in 308.  I have Radway, Hirt, Port and S. African ball ammo.  It all shots fine - except the S. African.  When shooting the S. African surplus the bolt will "stick" after firing.  Bolt will rotate but can not pull it to the rear.  If I tap the bolt handle with a wooden mallet it will open.  No real sign of high pressure.

Any ideas on what is going on ? ?

Thanks !

BTW - "89" dated Radway will hold one inch groups at 100 yards if I do my part.  Amazing surplus ammo if you can still find it.

View Quote

I have a bunch of Hirtenburger boxed [20 rounds] 150 grain soft point 7.62x51 ammo that used sealed Radway Green brass. Both accurate and spicy.

I have thousands of rounds down range with SA but it's all been in semi autos like FALs, M1A's [GI barrels] and Garands without any issues. It's not a particularly hot rounds though I'll say all mine were late 70's and early 80's. Boxed Port is stupidly accurate  for GI ammo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot it out of my Ruger Scout on steel out to 500. No issues.
It’s in green battle packs in a steel can
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Before giving up on it I would clean the snot out of the chamber to the point of getting one of those white mops , some polishing compound and rig it up in a drill and spin the heck out of it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top