Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2024 10:44:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
What ammo are you using?
I was getting failure to extract with Aguila because the case would swell and get stuck, switched to cci and all the issues went away.
First thing I would do is try different ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
It could be your extractor spring is weak. The link below may help.

This might help if its not an ammo issue
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
What ammo are you using?
I was getting failure to extract with Aguila because the case would swell and get stuck, switched to cci and all the issues went away.
First thing I would do is try different ammunition.
View Quote

My buddy was having the exact issue. He was using the Colibri subsonic ammo. I gave him a box of cci std and all issues went away.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to be clear
Failure to extract - case remains in chamber
Failure to eject- clears out of chamber but ends up laying in action above magazine

These guns are known for #2, and while I agree in some finicky 22’s ammo can make a huge difference ( I myself don’t waste my time with any domestic made ammo except CCI everything else is various levels of marginally junk to extreme junk ) if ammo change doesn’t solve the problem , if #2 the issue, look at magazines. While ruger 22’s do have an ejector, part of how the guns eject involves a portion of the top of the magazines, and sometimes changing magazines helps, or tinkering with fit of the mag in receiver helps as well.

These guns in my experience suffer from highly variable quality control. In my small group of people I shoot precision rifle matches with ( NRL/PRS) one guy has one that was a perfectly reliable hammer out of the box, several others had guns sent back to the factory for problems, one more than once, without out satisfactory resolution
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:52:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Taipan01] [#5]
I don't own one but I've read about this being a common issue.

It seems the consensus is that the positioner spring and the extractors are wonky. Apparently it can be relived with replacing them with these,

Positioner

Extractor

The positioner has more of a bend towards the round and the extractor is more defined than the original.

Again, I don't own one but it's something that caught my eye a while ago and I'm just passing it along, hope it helps.

Just in case, the part numbers at MDs are R01403 and R01401 respectively.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
My boys RPRr has a horrible failure to extract with mid grade and match ammo.

Bulk ammo is flawless.

Sent it back to Ruger and it still has the issue.

Problem is it shoots as good as a good Tikka and as good as a Kidd with ammo the RPRr likes (plus it needs a suppressor to shoot well).

If you find a solution I would be interested.  My guess is the chamber is tighter (possibly shorter) and the wax on top the ammo is causing issues.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:58:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taipan01] [#7]
You can remove the wax from .22's by tumbling them in corn cob then rolling them around in a rag to remove any dust. Spread them out on the rag and give them a quick blast with Remi-dry lube then give them another roll. I've done it countless times to keep the gunk build-up down to a minimum.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stre-tch:
My boys RPRr has a horrible failure to extract with mid grade and match ammo.

Bulk ammo is flawless.

Sent it back to Ruger and it still has the issue.

Problem is it shoots as good as a good Tikka and as good as a Kidd with ammo the RPRr likes (plus it needs a suppressor to shoot well).

If you find a solution I would be interested.  My guess is the chamber is tighter (possibly shorter) and the wax on top the ammo is causing issues.
View Quote

Lucky!

I bought one a year ago, it’s anything but accurate.  It’s a dog. I am giving it one more go with another scope before it goes down the road.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:29:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taipan01] [#10]
Originally Posted By shotar:

That seems like a lot of work. At that point I'd sell and get something else.
View Quote

It isn't. Maybe 10 minutes of my time between the rollings and spraying, emptying the tumbler and cleanup and 20-30 minutes tumbling time to do a brick.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Top Top