User Panel

Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 12 of 26)
Page / 26
Link Posted: 6/8/2006 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#1]
TAG
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
OK....I've read 13 pages and my head is spinning: Going the trust route and have a few ?'s...

Do I need to submit a Citizenship form as the grantor of the trust?

Do I just leave the second side of the Form 1 blank (no prints/signoff for trust)?
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By Jake94134:
OK....I've read 13 pages and my head is spinning: Going the trust route and have a few ?'s...

Do I need to submit a Citizenship form as the grantor of the trust?

Do I just leave the second side of the Form 1 blank (no prints/signoff for trust)?

Not sure if the info is identical for a trust vs. a corp so don't go on my word alone but....

For my corp I DO include a Citizenship form with my name on it as opposed to the corp name.

I leave the sback side blank, in fact my dealer who prepares the forms doesn't even bother to print the second side.
Link Posted: 6/15/2006 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2006 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Tag.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I read the entire thread plus the instructions attached to form 1 and still have a couple of questions.

I plan on assembling an SBR from a stripped lower via the Corp. route.  On form 1, item 4a., would I fill in the name and city, state of my Corp since the receiver was never a complete firearm?  Secondly, on item 4g., the instructions indicate that I "create" a serial number and I was wondering if I can simply specify the existing serial number which would be 1 less thing to engrave?  

For instance:

Acme Corp.
Anywhere, SC

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 6:13:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#8]
Thanks for the information Tony....most appreciated !

One more question...should I place my C&R license number in block 5 (license is in my name and not my LLC)?

Cheers
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks again.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2006 1:07:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#11]
Question:

I think I'm going to take the plunge and do an SBR.  

I filled out my Form1 and Citizen ship forms.

The questions are:

1.) The 2 photographs, can they be the same photo or do they hav to be 2 different photos?  If I take them myself, what type of quality do I have to achieve for them to be "acceptable", i.e do they just need head shot, how about lighting, etc?
2.)  Photos, how should they be attached?  Stapled?
2.) FBI Fingerprint Cards, will my local Sheriff have them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#12]
1.) The 2 photographs, can they be the same photo or do they hav to be 2 different photos?  If I take them myself, what type of quality do I have to achieve for them to be "acceptable", i.e do they just need head shot, how about lighting, etc?

They should be the same.  I think it is the same standard as a passport photo.  Basic head shot, plain background.  I took a digital photo of myself and put it in the online PDF format.  Printed it right on the picture.  It's pretty nice that way.

2.)  Photos, how should they be attached?  Stapled?

I think people glue them on, 99 cent tube of stick glue.  I printed mine, so I don't know for sure.

3.) FBI Fingerprint Cards, will my local Sheriff have them?

Call and ask.  If not, the atf will send them to you for free.  ATF.gov has an online request.  Had mine quickly.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 10:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Quarterbore] [#13]
It is really funny that U wrote this up 2 1/2 years ago and TONIGHT I am doing my paperwork for my 1st SBR...

I am filling out paperwork to SBR a Vector UZI and one of my Bushmaster AR-15s.

Kind of ironic...  I see a number of the forums are out of date as well...  I
ll try to update this thread soon...
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Sent my Form 1 in 3 weeks ago, called today because the check hadn't been cashed...  The person at ATF said that it had been received 7/10, and had been forwarded to Chicago...

Chicago? I thought everything was done in DC and WV...

Any thoughts?  This is my first Form 1, and I used this thread as one of my sources of information...
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#15]
They send all checks to Chicago for deposit. Dont worry, all is well. In fact, IIRC form 1's are examined before the check is deposited. I could be wrong on this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By bigcraig:
They send all checks to Chicago for deposit. Dont worry, all is well. In fact, IIRC form 1's are examined before the check is deposited. I could be wrong on this.

I'm sure you're right...  

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they AREN'T after me...  ;-)

I just sent in my second Form 1, so I'm hoping I didn't repeat any mistakes on both forms...  I guess they won't have a problem telling me what's wrong...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:22:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#17]
Has anybody had their paperwork held up because they forgot to include their corporation's "Articles of Incorporation" in the application packet?

I ask because I received a letter in the mail today from the ATF indicating that mine were missing and I had no idea that I needed to include them

ETA:  I spoke with the secretary at the NFA Branch in WV and she advised me to fax her the articles followed by mailing the hard copies.  

ETAA: I received my stamp in the mail 2 days after faxing the articles of organization
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Sent my first Form 1 in for my AR today.  Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips/info.  The wait begins....
Link Posted: 9/13/2006 5:00:46 AM EDT
[#19]
What are you guys putting down for reason?

I just ordered a pistol upper last night and want to apply for the SBR before I get the lower.
Link Posted: 9/16/2006 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Ghetto:

"All Lawful Purposes"

That's what I put on my 4 that I have done in the past.

Although I think you should put "Because I can, and it's cool." just to see if it makes any difference in the timeframe/result

Rob
Link Posted: 9/17/2006 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Originally Posted By Ghetto:

I just ordered a pistol upper last night and want to apply for the SBR before I get the lower.

"Collection and Investment"
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#22]
if I buy a complete lower from say RRA will I still have to engrave it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2006 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#23]
ost
Link Posted: 9/25/2006 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By Jon917:
if I buy a complete lower from say RRA will I still have to engrave it?

Yes, with your name, city, ST.
Link Posted: 9/28/2006 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I want to have an SBR without having to engrave it which I understand means I have to buy a factory built SBR. But how do you buy a factory SBR so you do not have to engrave it without submitting the paperwork first?  And if you have to submit the paperwork first then how do you know the serial number if you haven't purchased the firearm?

I am dizzy just thinking about it.  I will be doing this the LLC route.

TIA

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/30/2006 3:32:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: L0CK_N_L0AD] [#26]

Found the answers in the many pages of info.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2006 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By Seydou:
I want to have an SBR without having to engrave it which I understand means I have to buy a factory built SBR. But how do you buy a factory SBR so you do not have to engrave it without submitting the paperwork first?  And if you have to submit the paperwork first then how do you know the serial number if you haven't purchased the firearm?

I am dizzy just thinking about it.  I will be doing this the LLC route.

TIA

Seydou

Seydou............

a factory SBR does not require engraving. You get the serial number from the source you are buying it from, and they transfer it to your local Class III FFL- and they to you

The best advice I can give anyone think of a SBR is to contact a local (to you) Class III FFL, and let him get you through it.

I did, and it saved me time, aggravation, and was worth the transfer fee 2x over.
Link Posted: 9/30/2006 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Seydou- another option is find a Class III who will register it for you.  He'll engrave his logo on there and co. info.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By C-4:
My Form 1 for an AR SBR was rejected because: "Form must specify the barrel and overall length, aproximants and estimates are unacceptable."  

I had put "<16" for barrel length and "less than 26" for overall length.

I am using a 10.5" LMT upper.  Will I still be able to put any barrel length if I put "10.5" for barrel length?  This is so ghey.

WOW???????

I got mine back on 09-03-06 and it was approved with the <16" ,  <26" and "various" listed under Caliber.
Link Posted: 11/10/2006 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#30]
man i got a headache from reading all this.

i was going to try and complete my forms and just use 7.5 inches and 25.5 inches for barrel and OAL respectively.  It would probably get approved but since I don't even have an upper, waiting to do paper work first, i am worried about doing it this way even though that a 7.5" barrel and 25.5" OAL would be the shortest the rifle would be.

any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/11/2006 2:10:15 AM EDT
[#31]
honestly I wouldn't worry about it.  

I've had no less than 5 different cops see mine and not one has asked to see the tax stamp.  It's obviously an SBR since it has a 7.5" bbl.

just put down the smallest bbl length you think you might use and go from there.
Link Posted: 11/11/2006 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#32]
OK well I was going to order a bunch of fingerprint cards just incase my local PD or sheriff didn't have them but there are 4 listed at the atf.gov.

FBI FD-258FA
FBI FD-258LE

I am guessing that one of these is correct and the other is not.

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 11/11/2006 3:19:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar15inmn] [#33]

Originally Posted By jackal2001:
OK well I was going to order a bunch of fingerprint cards just incase my local PD or sheriff didn't have them but there are 4 listed at the atf.gov.

FBI FD-258FA
FBI FD-258LE

I am guessing that one of these is correct and the other is not.

Anyone know?

FBI FD-258LE - NFA, Imports ORI WVATF0100 should be correct.  Both of the above are the same cards with a different ORI.

The new ORI is:
WVATF0800
ATF-NFA BRANCH
MARTINSBURG, WV

This can be filled in if you have blank cards.

Link Posted: 11/23/2006 1:38:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami02TJ] [#34]
Thx in advance guys ...

Are fingerprint cards and citizenship docs required for the Trust route?

And do I need to send in my Trust paperwork with the app?

PS...  This post is just crazy --- it needsto be setup with a simple FAQ since most of the same questions get answered over and over again -- Heck I have read all the pages and I still have a question .......

Link Posted: 12/4/2006 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By Miami02TJ:
Are fingerprint cards and citizenship docs required for the Trust route?

And do I need to send in my Trust paperwork with the app?

No

Yes
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 7:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspipes] [#36]
Well, I have read this entire thread and everything seems clear as mud to me.  

To recap:

Currently it seems I must state the exact caliber, as well as the exact bbl length and OAL of the SBR I want to register on the Form 1.  Cannot use <16" and <26" and .223/9mm/22LR.

Space 4a and 4d use the mfg and model stated on the reciever.

I must engrave my registered SBR with my name and location.  And on the Form 1 in the space 4H I must put this other identifing data which will appear on the newly registered firearm(SBR)  In other words, you can't leave 4H blank because the engraving IS required and if you engrave but leave 4H blank then then the Form 1 will not match the SBR.  

I see a lot of talk about the barrel lenght and changing uppers etc.  And most are concerned with what to do if you change the bbl lenght and/or caliber.

My question, what if you change stocks and it changes the OAL of the rifle?  Say you had the collapsable stock on the SBR and on Form 1 it says the OAL is 30".  Then you put on a different collapsable stock or an entry fixed buttstock and the OAL is 29".  Does this change also have to be reported?

Of all the goofy things in this process, this is the goofiest....regarding the lenghts/calibers that could change.
Link Posted: 12/8/2006 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#37]
What form do you use to notify the BATFE when you move?
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 12:54:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fathead] [#38]
Help!!!!
I am sbring a rra receiver but my problem is in the 4a and 4h bos.
I have a older rra receiver and it is stamped with Cleveland,ILL and rra is know in colona Illinois.  do i put the colna address and it is diff from my receiver or do I use cleveland ill.

in the 4a box can i just put   Rock River Arms Cleveland, ILL with out a actual street address as this will match my receiver. and if so will it get kicked back since rra is now in Colona, Ill and marking the receivers as Colona, Ill or do I put in box 4a the new address and in 4h put     Rock River Arms  Cleveland, ILL  that appears on the receiver.

also when i sbr my bushy do I put   Bushmaster Firearms  999 Roosevelt Trail  Winham, ME 04062 or do I put  Bushmaster Firearms   Windham, ME. 04062  in                                                   the 4a box on the form 1.  does the manufacture address need street address

Link Posted: 12/12/2006 1:21:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#40]
A few quick questions on the subject of SBRs - I apologize in advance if I'm repeating any pre-existing questions (I looked through the FAQs, but could have still easily missed something)

1) I want to make my PS90 a SBR.  I recall reading that the weapon will need to be engraved either on the receiver or on the barrel.  Regarding the engraving -

Would I be required to mark it with my initials/name (such as M. A. Hoffman) or could I put a company name (such as Hoffman Arms)?  Does the actual company name which would be engraved have to legally exist (registered with the state) or could I just call it that (I'm thinking not)?

2) In the case of a SBR AR15 - would I be able to swap out any uppers I wanted, regardless of length, so long as the overall length would be within the specs as marked on my Form 1?  For example, could I put an overall length of 10" - 60" in the form and put whatever upper on it I want, as the lower is registered as the SBR and every single AR15 upper out there would put the overall length of the rifle into that vast of a range?

3) Again, in the case of a SBR AR15 - once I have a lower registered as a SBR, do I need to submit a Form 1 each time I want to buy another SBR upper, or could I just go around and buy all the SBR uppers I want since the lower it will go on is already registered as a SBR?

4) If I have several SBR AR15 uppers, several AR15 lowers, and only one of those lowers is registered as a SBR, can the ATF come down on my ass and say that I'm violating law since it's possible for me to create more than the one SBR I've registered with them?  If so, what's a guy gotta do to avoid this?

Thanks for your help!

_MaH
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By mhoffman:
A few quick questions on the subject of SBRs - I apologize in advance if I'm repeating any pre-existing questions (I looked through the FAQs, but could have still easily missed something)

1) I want to make my PS90 a SBR.  I recall reading that the weapon will need to be engraved either on the receiver or on the barrel.  Regarding the engraving -

I don't think you can engrave the bbl.  might be different for a ps90 but I doubt it.  engrave the receiver as it is considered the weapon.

Would I be required to mark it with my initials/name (such as M. A. Hoffman) or could I put a company name (such as Hoffman Arms)?  Does the actual company name which would be engraved have to legally exist (registered with the state) or could I just call it that (I'm thinking not)?

not.  the name on the form 1 is what you use.

2) In the case of a SBR AR15 - would I be able to swap out any uppers I wanted, regardless of length, so long as the overall length would be within the specs as marked on my Form 1?  For example, could I put an overall length of 10" - 60" in the form and put whatever upper on it I want, as the lower is registered as the SBR and every single AR15 upper out there would put the overall length of the rifle into that vast of a range?

I do

3) Again, in the case of a SBR AR15 - once I have a lower registered as a SBR, do I need to submit a Form 1 each time I want to buy another SBR upper, or could I just go around and buy all the SBR uppers I want since the lower it will go on is already registered as a SBR?

I registered the one lower and swap around at will

4) If I have several SBR AR15 uppers, several AR15 lowers, and only one of those lowers is registered as a SBR, can the ATF come down on my ass and say that I'm violating law since it's possible for me to create more than the one SBR I've registered with them?  If so, what's a guy gotta do to avoid this?

They can do anything they want i guess.  we probably need to get someone to get a letter concerning this from the tech branch since there doesn't really seem to be a concrete answer from BATF

Thanks for your help!

_MaH
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By jtw2:

Originally Posted By mhoffman:
<snip>

They can do anything they want i guess.  we probably need to get someone to get a letter concerning this from the tech branch since there doesn't really seem to be a concrete answer from BATF

Thanks for your help!

_MaH

I believe...  for each unregistered lower in your posession, you better have a 16"+ upper attached to it if you have more than one SBR upper, and only one registered lower.  Just to be safe.

Link Posted: 1/12/2007 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#43]
On the finger print card how do you answer " reason fingerprinted"
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#44]
ATF Application
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Hi
  I have heard that a person could file a SBR under a Living Trust.  Is this true and how do you go about doing it, i.e. what information do you need and basically the whole process?
  I could not get a signature from my CLEO and have waited for 3 years to get a SBR.  Found out about this forum from a friend....... James and Mark.
Thanks
Krinky
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#46]
There is a great thread for trusts in the general class 3 forum tacked at the top.  Many people are going the trust route and this thread explains the entire thing,  

Trust
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Can someone provide a link to the Citizenship form?  I know I saw it someplace and just now I can't find it...  Who certifies that you are a US Citizen?  I am...have a Passport to prove it but who certifies on the form that you are a US Citizen?  

Link Posted: 1/15/2007 12:42:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pick713] [#48]
Here are all the forms you need

NFA Forms

I believe you are looking for the certificate of Compliance
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks much.  Who certifies that you are a US Citizen on the form?  Can you certify yourself?  
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By FedDC:
Thanks much.  Who certifies that you are a US Citizen on the form?  Can you certify yourself?  

I'm not exactly sure how it works.  You just fill it out and send it in with your other forms.  You don't put a SSN or any other Identification number on it.  
Page / 26
Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 12 of 26)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top