Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 8 of 26)
Page / 26
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid Q. here, where/how/what number do you guys call to check on your paperwork status?  Is it just the NFA branch number listed on the ATF web site?
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]
TAG

This is good shit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 11:33:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: makabi24] [#3]
I was hoping someone could give some info on using a Living Trust to incorporate a SBR.  I know it has been slightly mentioned by the Distinguished Gentleman from Florida, but I was looking for more specifics.  I am a student in PA, but am also a resident of Florida.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
hopefully someone can save me the trouble of going blind looking thru the thread........on the form one, sec. 4I whats the reason you intend to make this for......what the hell do you put recreational purposes...........which then brings me to the next question, god forbid I have to dispatch 77 grains of justice to some a-hole who breaks into my house with nasty intent, using this SBR, are there going to be any sanctions by ATF if I listed it for recreational use? Please Help................
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#5]
gun collector seems to be the best.  or "all and any lawful purposes" is also good.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a question. say i have a SBR approved for 10.5" but at some point i want to put a  21" barrel on it.. do i have to send ATF a letter to approve this or can I just do it because that length is legal for anyone to have?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:43:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyegun] [#8]
I just got my form1 back for putting multiple barrel lengths.  Multiple calibers was not an issue.  ATF uses a standard form that has a checklist of (apparently) the most common errors.  Here it is:

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#9]
alright ill ask it..............WTF are you supposed to do if you are using either a MRP or just want to have multiple size bar. on diff. uppers.........................
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:11:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By beware1gun:
alright ill ask it..............WTF are you supposed to do if you are using either a MRP or just want to have multiple size bar. on diff. uppers.........................

You put the size that you will MOST likely be using most. I hear that you can then put whatever length barrel you want on it or you can send in a letter stating what other length barrels you are using after approval. It is really no big deal after the approval.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:51:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Im preparing to take the SBR plunge.

Just got all the paperwork printed out and will start filling in all the blanks.

Q:  When I take it to the CLEO can he refuse to sign it just to be a jerk or he is obligated to if everything is in order?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:59:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By DrJester:
Im preparing to take the SBR plunge.

Just got all the paperwork printed out and will start filling in all the blanks.

Q:  When I take it to the CLEO can he refuse to sign it just to be a jerk or he is obligated to if everything is in order?

Many CLEO's won't sign. But there's ways aroudn that. The DA, City police chief, Sherriff, even some local judges can sign the CLEO part. Typically, if they play hard, reason with them.

"Either you can sign, and you'll know what i have. Or, i can have someone else sign, and you'll have no idea what i have."

That usually works wonders. I had no problems with my form 1. heh, chief thought there was no minimum barrel length on rifles.....he thought it was shotguns only.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Good deal, thanks.

So Chief Law Enforcement Officer isn't the Chief of Police?

I was just going to take it down to PD and have the Chief sign it.  I live in a small city so I figured it wouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get your elected CLEO to sign it :)  
(e.g. sheriff's & DA's here in Tx).

They're usually more willing to help you out.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll take it by Sheriffs then.

Also just ordered the fingerprint cards from the ATF site.  Got the FBI-258's that said NFA.  4 of em are on the way.

Now...to find a stripped lower.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:27:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aleko] [#16]
I could swear I've seen this question answered before, but I can't find it now...

I'm filling out my Form 1 via LLC; do I need to fill out 3a ("Trade Name") with my LLC name, or do I leave it blank? Also, in 3b ("Applicant's Name and Address"), do I just use

My Company Name, LLC
Street Address
City, State Zip

or do I also add my name to it, something like:

My Company Name, LLC
MyFirstName MyLastName
Street Address
City, State Zip

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I think the second one would work best since it includes both company name and real name.

Thats just a guess so take it with a grain of salt.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Son of a buck!!!

If you are a Missouri resident, you must have an FFL or C&R to have a SBR, SBS, or MG.

Mine was just disapproved because of this.  On to getting my C&R!

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Citizenship form; do I need it for a trust/corp?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Also, anyone had any luck lately with barrel length of "less than 16 inches" and/or a range like "10.00 to 15.99 inches"?

What about in answer to caliber if you put "multi"?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By in_burrito:
Citizenship form; do I need it for a trust/corp?

Yes
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By makabi24:
I was hoping someone could give some info on using a Living Trust to incorporate a SBR.  I know it has been slightly mentioned by the Distinguished Gentleman from Florida, but I was looking for more specifics.  I am a student in PA, but am also a resident of Florida.  

I have set up a trust recently for this purpose.  I'm about to get a couple of suppressors and then do some SBRing.  I used an attorney here local to me (in Broward County) and it went very smooth.  We'll see how smooth the transfers go once I get started.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Also, anyone had any luck lately with barrel length of "less than 16 inches" and/or a range like "10.00 to 15.99 inches"?

What about in answer to caliber if you put "multi"?

I would not try it right now. Seems like all the WV examiners are on the same page with that one.  Sure some may get through but why risk it, its not that important. As for the multi caliber, I would not put multi but maybe try the 5.56/9mm or put all the calibers that you KNOW you are going to use. Again, not that big a deal to let the NFA office know you are changing barrel lengths and calibers with a letter.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Did you see my 'try again' letter above?  You must specify the barrel length.  I put a range of lengths on mine and got that letter.  I really doubt that 'less than 16" ' would float.

If you want, you can try it for all of us.....
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Eyegun:
Did you see my 'try again' letter above?  You must specify the barrel length.  I put a range of lengths on mine and got that letter.  I really doubt that 'less than 16" ' would float.

I saw that, but I wasn't sure what exactly you put on the form to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:22:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I was wondering, since Oklahoma is NFA friendly state, can I travel to different counties to shoot.  I live in Bartlesville which is about 40 miles north of Tulsa and it sits right on the edge of Washington County.  My range is located inside of Osage county, pretty much on the outskirts/border line.  I also go shooting in Nowata County which is located just east of my county.  Is it any problem to travel to different counties?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By Eyegun:

I saw that, but I wasn't sure what exactly you put on the form to begin with.

I put less than 16" for barrel length and less than 26" on OAL on my first Form1 andf I got the letter that is shown also. I had to use white out and put SPECIFIC lengths for barrel and overall length.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#28]
If were to use an ACE M4 SOCOM stock that adjusts from 7.5" to 9.5", would I put the OAL with it fully extended or closed?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#29]

If were to use an ACE M4 SOCOM stock that adjusts from 7.5" to 9.5", would I put the OAL with it fully extended or closed?

As said before, extended
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By M_4:
I have a question. say i have a SBR approved for 10.5" but at some point i want to put a  21" barrel on it.. do i have to send ATF a letter to approve this or can I just do it because that length is legal for anyone to have?

+1
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:29:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fq1234] [#31]

Originally Posted By makabi24:

+1

You can put the 21 inch barrel on without notifying them.  However, that raises the question to whether it is then legal for someone else to possess the gun that is registered on the NFA list.  That question has been debated quite a bit here in the past.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the info fq1234
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:24:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Im pretty new to the SBR process but have caught the bug of wanting to own one.

I think its silly you have to engrave your lower with name etc even though it has a serial number and manufacturer already on it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:04:11 AM EDT
[#35]
So if I purchase a Noveske stripped lower and put it together.  Then buy a 7.5in complete A3 upper, I would be required to engrave the lower even though it has Noveske markings and serial number on it?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#36]

So if I purchase a Noveske stripped lower and put it together.  Then buy a 7.5in complete A3 upper, I would be required to engrave the lower even though it has Noveske markings and serial number on it?

If it was originally mfg'd as a SBR, then no additional markings are needed.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:19:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DrJester] [#37]
Ok, I think Im finally catching on here.

Lets say if I took my custom built L.A.R. lower (registered October of last year) and removed the 16in upper and threw on a 10.5in upper, then the L.A.R. lower would need to be marked and registered as an SBR.

Starting from scratch like I plan on doing with a stripped Noveske lower requires no additional engraving when its registered as an SBR. (just use the mfg and serial number on the application)

^ If I can do it this way I'll order the stripped lower on Friday.

Sorry for being repetitive but would like good clarification on this.  :)

*Edit*

Just read instruction 2h:

Serial Numbers and other markings.
If an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original manufacturer into item 4a.  Do not Alter or Modify the Existing Serial Number.  If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g.

So if Im reading that correctly, I take the new stripped lower and enter the manufacturer and serial number on 4a and 4g.  If I was taking my current AR15 and putting a 14, 10.5 or 7.5 inch upper, I would then be required to engrave that lower.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:49:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Starting from scratch like I plan on doing with a stripped Noveske lower requires no additional engraving when its registered as an SBR. (just use the mfg and serial number on the application)

If you are receiving the lower on a form 4, no engraving is necessary.
If you are making the SBR via Form 1, you ARE REQUIRED to engrave your information.

It's actually quite simple.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By NAM:

How is this done?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#40]

How is this done?

lol....

That means you are receiving a firearm that was already registered as an SBR.

You're making it more complex than it is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Ok, I think Im finally catching on here.

Lets say if I took my custom built L.A.R. lower (registered October of last year) and removed the 16in upper and threw on a 10.5in upper, then the L.A.R. lower would need to be marked and registered as an SBR.

^ If I can do it this way I'll order the stripped lower on Friday.

Sorry for being repetitive but would like good clarification on this.  :)

*Edit*

Just read instruction 2h:

Serial Numbers and other markings.
If an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original manufacturer into item 4a.  Do not Alter or Modify the Existing Serial Number.  If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g.

So if Im reading that correctly, I take the new stripped lower and enter the manufacturer and serial number on 4a and 4g.  If I was taking my current AR15 and putting a 14, 10.5 or 7.5 inch upper, I would then be required to engrave that lower.

No, whether you start with a stripped lower or a lower sold as a complete AR15, either way you need to engrave it.

The only way to avoid the engraving is to buy a complete rifle that was originally manufactured (and prpesumably registered at that time) as an SBR.  Something like the Colt 6933 or the DSA OSW.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Alright, I understand, got myself confused over the whole deal.

That sucks that you have to engrave it, but I guess it lets everyone know that its yours.  

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:55:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#43]

Alright, I understand, got myself confused over the whole deal.

That sucks that you have to engrave it, but I guess it lets everyone know that its yours.  

normally with AR-15 type rifles, no one sells them used. You can.... but with the tax involved, most just keep them indefinitly.

Making an SBR = $200.

in-state form 4 to form 4 $200

Selling out of state = form 4 to dealer ($200), form 3 to dealer in buyer's state (free) and form 4 to next buyer ($200) =total of $400 in taxes.

unless it's a rare piece, selling a SBR out of state is rarely worth the trouble. So putting your name on it really isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I got 4 fingerprint cards in today for NFA weapon.

Do I send off 2 with 2 copies of form 1?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#45]

I got 4 fingerprint cards in today for NFA weapon.

Do I send off 2 with 2 copies of form 1?

You send:

1x 5330.20 Certification form
2x Form 1
2x Fingerprint cards
1x $200 Check.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#46]

If you are making the SBR via Form 1, you ARE REQUIRED to engrave your information.

Ok.  What about this post??

Originally Posted By boomfab:
I just got off the phone with the head NFA office in DC.  They said I do NOT legally have to mark the receiver in any way.  

They told me to write them for written confirmation of this.  I am putting the letter in the mail tomorrow.

If they answer it, the truth will be clear as mud.

www.boomslang.us/images/nfaletter.JPG

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#47]
This isn't the first time BATF personnel said you don't need to mark another manufacturer's name & address (yours) when you "make" an SBR.  I don't like doing this either.  I'm still waiting for my first Form 1 & hope we get an answer to this most recent letter.  My Form 1 does not list my name & address as being marked on the firearm.  If I don't add my name & address, the firearm will be marked EXACTLY as described on the Form 1.  Although this seems OK to me, the BATF does have some strange rules.  The way the rule is written obviously isn't clear since this issue is still being debated (at least by some).
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Ok.  What about this post??

Originally Posted By boomfab:
I just got off the phone with the head NFA office in DC.  They said I do NOT legally have to mark the receiver in any way.  

They told me to write them for written confirmation of this.  I am putting the letter in the mail tomorrow.

If they answer it, the truth will be clear as mud.

www.boomslang.us/images/nfaletter.JPG

This is up for grabs to some. I personally asked my examiner, Rob Howard while I had him on the phone about engraving my info on my registered SBR lower. He said it was a must, no doubt about it. It all depends on who you get on the phoneat NFA and what time of day etc. I wish they would all get on the same page. Most people just engrave them as they interpret the law as it being a requiremnt.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:31:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DrJester] [#49]
Would it hurt to print Form 1 on both sides of printer paper?  

This would come in real handy when my copy gets returned so I could laminate it.

*edit* Disregard.  It looks much better being double-sided and I think I read on previous page how it was fine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Just so you don't change your mind - BTAF has sent back forms that were on two seperate sheets.  Two sided on a single sheet is the ONLY way to go.
Page / 26
Tacked SBR FAQ (Page 8 of 26)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top