Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2024 10:55:45 AM EDT
I have an AR with a 16" barrel, looking to get a suppressor.  I know I need a tax stamp for the can.  I also know I can put a 12" barrel on it if the suppressor is permanently attached because it's not an SBR then.  But if the can is not permanently attached can I do the SBR and suppressor on one tax stamp or do I need two?
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By sharpe15:
I have an AR with a 16" barrel, looking to get a suppressor.  I know I need a tax stamp for the can.  I also know I can put a 12" barrel on it if the suppressor is permanently attached because it's not an SBR then.  But if the can is not permanently attached can I do the SBR and suppressor on one tax stamp or do I need two?
View Quote

need 2
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
THat's what I thought.  Sigh . . .
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:05:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#3]
Your other option is a pin and weld a muzzle device on a 14.5 or 14.7" barrel. If you use the SiCo flash hider it'll hit 16 no problem, but the suppressor oal will be less than mounting it to a 16".

I have no experience with this setup, as my sbr's are 12.5, but @cmsnare was explaining the oal math to me. Makes sense to avoid a 2nd stamp and reduce oal.

Lots and lots of info and threads on p&w and oal here.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#4]
2 stamps is correct. I would not recommend pinning/welding a suppressor in order to bypass the second stamp.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
You could also go with an integral silencer to keep it at 16".
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
Your other option is a pin and weld a muzzle device on a 14.5 or 14.7" barrel. If you use the SiCo flash hider it'll hit 16 no problem, but the suppressor oal will be less than mounting it to a 16".

I have no experience with this setup, as my sbr's are 12.5, but @cmsnare was explaining the oal math to me. Makes sense to avoid a 2nd stamp and reduce oal.

Lots and lots of info and threads on p&w and oal here.
View Quote

13.9" + 2.5" muzzle device gets one to 16" OAL as well, averting an additional stamp.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
2 stamps is correct. I would not recommend pinning/welding a suppressor in order to bypass the second stamp.
View Quote

Absolutely this.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]
2 stamps is cheaper than pin/weld and gives you options.

Link Posted: 7/8/2024 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I am a huge fan of pinned 13.7. Both of mine are pinned with a SOLGW NOX. Very happy.

I bought a direct thread for my second can with intentions of pinning to a 11.5 for interstate travel. After thinking on it, that opened up more than a couple worms.

No thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
2 stamps is cheaper than pin/weld and gives you options.

View Quote

In some instances.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Or stick with the 16inch and get the can. You can always get a lower and fill out a form 1 to get it SBR later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top