Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2024 2:07:56 PM EDT
I think I know the answer, but want to make sure.

If you have an AR that was originally built as a pistol, later converted to an SBR by a tax paid stamp, can you remove the stock to cross state lines?

Same line, could you swap uppers to a 16+ and have the short upper in the vehicle, and be in compliance? (Not stored together)

Sorry for the mundane questions, just a discussion among friends and we were divided almost equally.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it’s only an SBR when it’s in a short barreled configuration with a stock. As for in your vehicle, that will depend on state laws.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a lawyer, but from everything I have read on the subject the answer is yes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 11:27:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JamPo] [#3]
Man. You could really get into the weeds with this question. As others have said, yes, with a 16” barrel it is no longer an SBR. The thing with both uppers in the car is not as simple. Recall the Thompson Contender ruling “Possible configurations”? You have a 16” upper, an SBR upper and a single lower. Is a form 20 out of the question?

ETA: Nevermind. See it is a thought exercise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top