Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

SCAR pic thread (Page 21 of 74)
Page / 74
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:00:54 AM EDT
[#1]
FDE is better at everything.  That being said, if any of you guys are disappointed in your black models, I'll buy them......but not for much $$$ considering their deficiencies.  Doing you a favor really..........  
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 2:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Not a laser beam super accurate FDE or mediocre Black, but an above average OD....  Installed parts are Magpul selector switches, VLTOR flash hider, GG&G cocking handle, Steyr FAL mag, and M16A1 pistol grip.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine:

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I love going to the adoption center

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
17s is the ONLY non AR EBR I want.  Thanks for the pics gents.

Makes not having 25 hundred bones easier.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
16s

17s
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 4/11/2012 1:05:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#9]
I see lots of SBRed -16Ss, but not many CQCs, the most I've seen is one barrel waiting on a tax stamp!

I guess without many spare barrels available, no one wants to take the leap of faith and be stuck with a 13" .308?

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Augee:
I see lots of SBRed -16Ss, but not many CQCs, the most I've seen is one barrel waiting on a tax stamp!

I guess without many spare barrels available, no one wants to take the leap of faith and be stuck with a 13" .308?

~Augee

Im waiting on the factory barrels this time, and a Surefire SV brake.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#11]

~Augee

Thats about exactly where I stand; stamps in progress on both of these.  I don't want to be stuck with only a 13" 7.62 barrel, I want to keep a 16" also.  17s F1 has been out since mid December but I'm going to wait it out for factory barrels which may be out about the same time my stamp gets back.

Engraving is done... just need the stamp and the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By FiveToOne:

~Augee

Thats about exactly where I stand; stamps in progress on both of these.  I don't want to be stuck with only a 13" 7.62 barrel, I want to keep a 16" also.  17s F1 has been out since mid December but I'm going to wait it out for factory barrels which may be out about the same time my stamp gets back.

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp80/trn_photobucket/SCARS.jpg

Engraving is done... just need the stamp and the barrel.

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp80/trn_photobucket/ENGRAVING.jpg
Nice place for the engraving. I put mine behind the bolt catch!

Link Posted: 4/13/2012 9:54:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lillian2008] [#13]
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Posing for some cool guy pics.

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Arrived yesterday.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Kalmar,
Imho, you have a beautifully set-up SCAR. Did you consider the FN front-end extension or only the PWS?
Also, do you feel that you have the same build integrity with either component, afa maintaining your Zero and keeping the harmonics of the barrel the same?
Thanks,
Fenn
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Fenn. I love the "SSR" look of the FNH extension, however in my opinion there is no good reason to continue the same handguard profile past the moving parts portion of the SCAR. Unless you require a continuous 12 o'clock rail for mounting optics that far forward it's just unnecessary weight and bulk. I handled and compared both extensions before purchase and chose the SRX for that reason. Though either will be a quality piece, no doubt. The PWS rail attaches via a yoke to the front of the receiver and bottom rail. It does not contact the barrel in any way and maintains it's quick-change ability. The FNH extension screws into the front sling mount and does not allow this. I have not had a chance to test zero yet, but I doubt it will be affected.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Hello, All! SCAR n00b here, but I've been catching up.

I’ve been a Stoner platform user for 25+ years, until VERY recently…

Guess whose re-write of his department’s policy on weapons, ammunition & armory was signed off by the new chief last week?

Yup - mine.

Guess what rifle was added to the "list?"

Yup...

I have just over 500 rounds through it in under a week. My only regret is that it wasn't 5,000. Okay, I also regretted - but was thankful for - the unscheduled moment of training I received when I put my left hand (in the wrong place) and created a FTE during zeroing; learning occurred instantly when the charging handle corrected that mistake.

This is the first gun I've bought (for myself) in ten years, and, barring the unforeseen, it may very well be the last "work" gun I ever buy.

While installing the PWS rail (see below), I realized that, different from any Stoner rifle, there's nothing I can't do to this gun that requires anything more complicated that hand tools - while sitting on my living room floor. No vise blocks, barrel nut wrenches, etc.

I'm on the waiting list for the Vltor stock, and I'm looking into a RLT for a possible SBRing & can.

Apologies in advance for the shitte iPhone pics.

The first rendition (before all the SCAR goodness arrived via the brown truck Santa):

I had put the above together so I could take it to work.

From the first round I put though it I knew my money was well spent. Soft recoil, accurate as any AR I've owned, and no gun-related malfunctions.

My Surefire 60-rounder was not so lucky... Out of 120 rounds, four did this:

I found that this isn't unique with the SF mags - especially the older ones. - I called SF & inquired further. Andrew @ SF CS says that they're aware that their magazines are known to occasionally choke with some SCARs, and that the manufacturing standards they're made to & are for use with M-16 spec magwells...

I did not accept his gracious invitation to examine my mag to see if it's within specs; it runs fine with my ARs.

Any further advice about getting the frakking thing to work would be appreciated.

When stuff arrived, stuff got added & replaced. I removed the front sight, and added the PWS rail, Magpul safeties, MBUSs, AFG2, RSA, MOE grip, and my Aimpoint H2 (DD mount will eventually be replaced).

SF switch tucked securely between PWS rail & green LASER "universal translator":

I do not like the KZ mount (bulky & "edgey"), and I think I'll better be served with something low-pro like a Gear Sector mount...

At this point, I refuse to drop $70 on a R&A BAD; so, albeit baboon ass ugly & primitive, here's a heated, bent, hammered, fitted and 100% functional Magpul BAD:

Although I've ran BADs on my AR-15 working guns, I’m not yet happy with “streeting” it until I've practiced more with it. Since I run the CH on the left side, I may not choose to leave the BAD installed.

"Non-tactical" titanium sling ring.

I don't like the fit of the MOE grip. I (cosmetically) buggered this one trying to fit it - I'm seeking a better way to fit one - or find a better solution altogether.

More to come...
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#21]
jesus that must be a front heavy fucker. Any reason your running your red dot so far forward?
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't judge me ~de geso

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RePp:
jesus that must be a front heavy fucker. Any reason your running your red dot so far forward?

IIRC he recently came back to about mid rail....not quite where Stephen has it but not out at the muzzle either
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By scoutfsu99:

IIRC he recently came back to about mid rail....not quite where Stephen has it but not out at the muzzle either

Whos stephen?
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry, Stephen101st.  SCAR-guy extraordinaire
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 7:17:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ParaPyroPig] [#26]
What he said. 25-50y was faster on the timer with the RDS mid rail.

The latest...

I preferred the big Magpul safeties on both sides:

I've had a slight issue with them loosening, so I've cranked down on them further. Loctite will be next if the issue persists.

Cord management & rail protection provided by Larue:

BAD further tweaked & repainted:

I've decided to leave it on for now; this way there's congruence of the manual of arms with my Stoner-pattern guns.

Up to ~750 rounds now. Chief saw it in the armory on Tuesday (in-house teaching day for 2 new cops) and asked if that was my gun - he said it looked great & had shot SCARs before & likes them. My Chief rocks!  
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Have the ACOG on till the new MK6 1-6 hits the market. It looks to be the perfect optic for the 17

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Still figuring out what optic I want to put on the 17s.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:52:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonnieBrasco] [#31]

Your gun is like the tiger woods of SCARs
Are you trying to tell me that my rifle's handicap is white women?

As a side note, I can't believe how my groups have tightened up with the 2MOA T-1. I did not think it would make that much of a difference. I have been pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of the SCAR so far.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:22:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DonnieBrasco:

As a side note, I can't believe how my groups have tightened up with the 2MOA T-1. I did not think it would make that much of a difference. I have been pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of the SCAR so far.

What do you think about that BCM grip?
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:49:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DonnieBrasco] [#33]

Originally Posted By nf9648:

Originally Posted By DonnieBrasco:

What do you think about that BCM grip?

For the way I like to shoot, I find it to be the grip that works the best. I bought one on whim and with the thought that I could sell it on the EE if I did not like it.

The MIAD is a great grip, but this grip just happens to fit me better. The only thing I would like to see is maybe a backstrap like the MIAD that could be switched out for larger (or smaller one) depending on the consumer's preference.

I switched out all of my rifles to the BCM, the SCAR required some fitting. BCM did a nice job with this one. The subtle change in angle just feels right. Unfortunately it has not made me a better shooter.

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#34]
New Damage Inc aluminum side rails:

Link Posted: 5/17/2012 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 8:56:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: foxjordan22] [#36]
10" SCAR
AAC MINI-4

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#38]
http://i.imgur.com/msZTp.jpg

Interesting PEQ placement.
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#39]
My guess is his PEQ was slightly in his FOV, enough to annoy him into doing that?
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#40]
My guess is his PEQ was slightly in his FOV, enough to annoy him into doing that?

Yeah maybe. I'm thinking it's probably just an amature mistake. I mean, look at his clashing camo. I spy MARPAT and Multicam? Tactical fashion faux pas! Who does that?
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By steve-oh:

Yeah maybe. I'm thinking it's probably just an amature mistake. I mean, look at his clashing camo. I spy MARPAT and Multicam? Tactical fashion faux pas! Who does that?

You need to send him a how to of the paint scheme you did on your SCAR.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Obviously he doesn't hang out on Arfcom.  Somewhere, TACOM is having very important meetings over his non standard rifle.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By steve-oh:

You need to send him a how to of the paint scheme you did on your SCAR.  

Totally. I know, right?
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#44]
awesome.....did you cut down a PWS rail?

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 62nd_Assassin:
awesome.....did you cut down a PWS rail?

Branham Rail
Link Posted: 5/23/2012 10:44:21 PM EDT
[#46]
thats not it.  he cut down a PWS rail.  look at the swivel hole and the screw placement.  I did the same except mine goes just past the sight
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#47]
thats not it.  he cut down a PWS rail.  look at the swivel hole and the screw placement.  I did the same except mine goes just past the sight

10-fer; just out of curiosity what would be the benefit of cutting down a $200 rail to the same length as a $120 rail?
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#48]
I didn't feel that I needed the extra length.  I forget the weight of the thing but cutting it in half cut the weight in half  I was looking for a little bit more rail and the Branham extension connects weird.  I don't remember exactly what goes on there but I remember reading that the PWS was the better option of the two.  It's been a while....

Anyways, IMO an extension the size of the Branham is mandatory and should be factory.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2012 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks, Im looking hard at the PWS for the 17, but really cant go any longer than the Branham on the 16 due to the suppressor.  2 things I wish FN would reconsider is their length of the rail, and the rear sling attachment points.  They should setup the rear attachment points like those on a MP5, large enough to run a web sling through as opposed to those little hook loops.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#50]
What about these http://promotedpawn.com/products/21

I installed these side rails on my 17 but have the branham on my 16. A little different setup on both but if I didn't need the bottom rail extended on the 16 I would switch it from the branham to these also
Page / 74
SCAR pic thread (Page 21 of 74)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top