Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/23/2024 5:34:12 PM EDT
Hi,

I booked a Safari a couple years out in the future and I’m looking for what’s hopefully a “one and done” heirloom bolt action in 30-06. I really want it to be sub-MOA.

I was looking at the Anchutz 1782 D as one option (they are $3k), but part of me wonders if there are equal or better alternatives. Any suggestions?

Thank you…
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly when matched with its favorite load a simple Tikka would do that but I understand that’s not what it’s all about. A rifle to match the once in a lifetime trophy. I’ll defer to my betters.

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
For a trip like that and given your requirements and time frame I would have one custom built.

Plenty of good custom rifle builders out there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe not as sexy as OP wants, but my Browning A-Bolt Hunter in 30-06 was so accurate that it was boring. With moderately tuned reloads it shot 5/8" at 100 all day long. The Medallion version is a prettier.

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 7:09:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Uys] [#4]
30 years ago I took a Remington 700RS (early synthetic stocks) in 30-06 to Zimbabwe.  Used factory 180gr Nosler Partition/Federal Premium ammo and had no issues with Kudu, Reedbuk, Impala, Warthog, etc.  I think a Tikka Hunter in 30-06 would be fine.  A used CZ550 in .30-06 would be fitting.  
Practicing in various shooting and being prepared to walk for the good stuff helped.   May not need to worry about walking if you are hunting from a Land Rover/Land Cruiser.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Any Sako. Done.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
Any Sako. Done.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Uys:
30 years ago I took a Remington 700RS (early synthetic stocks) in 30-06 to Zimbabwe.  Used factory 180gr Nosler Partition/Federal Premium ammo and had no issues with Kudu, Reedbuk, Impala, Warthog, etc.  I think a Tikka Hunter in 30-06 would be fine.  A used CZ550 in .30-06 would be fitting.  
Practicing in various shooting and being prepared to walk for the good stuff helped.   May not need to worry about walking if you are hunting from a Land Rover/Land Cruiser.
View Quote

I didn’t think of CZ, but I do love CZ. I’ll check out Sako, also.

Everything will be off shooting sticks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:50:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wvfarrier] [#8]
Buy a Big Horn Origin Action, PVA Pre-Fit Barrel, Timney trigger, MDT Chassis and have your gunsmith slap it together.   It will be under $2500 and shoot laser beam straight.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:50:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wvfarrier] [#9]
Dang it....double tap
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]
African plains hunt?

Custom Mauser.  Any other answer is wrong.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Mausingfield action, Bartlein barrel, Woox stock, Triggertech Trigger, Leupold MK5 scope, AICS pattern magazine, rings of your choice. It will be beautiful and work very well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 1:28:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Sako model 85.  I have a Sako model 75 in .375 H&H which I used for moose in Alaska, it would be right at home in Africa.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 5:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m47181] [#14]
Originally Posted By Dessert_Eagle:
Hi,

I booked a Safari a couple years out in the future and I’m looking for what’s hopefully a “one and done” heirloom bolt action in 30-06. I really want it to be sub-MOA.

I was looking at the Anchutz 1782 D as one option (they are $3k), but part of me wonders if there are equal or better alternatives. Any suggestions?

Thank you…
View Quote

So im gonna make it short and sweet.
If money is no object a custom build, on a mauser action.
Personally I like either a pre or post 64 winchester. With a good 1X4,3X9 or 4X12 scope depending on the game and weather your stalking or shooting from a truck. And premium ammo. I tend to like my rifles to have iron sights, thats why I like my post 64 Winchester.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:33:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FunFirepower] [#15]
So there appear to be a few requirements, and a baseline:

1) 30-06 bolt action

2) One & done heirloom quality

3) African safari

4) Sub-MOA

With the Anschutz 1782, we have a baseline of performance, beauty, and cost ($3kish).

The Anschutz is great, and a factory gun. Having a few years out gives the time for a custom rifle.

The classic action in this case would be a Mauser-derived controlled feed, mechanical ejector action.

The pre-64 Winchesters are always beautiful, there are various commercial Mauser out there. My own choice in a commercial. Mauser would be a Beretta Mato. Recent production will be important to getting the accuracy.

A mini-chassis DBM gun with a top-quality trigger would give great accuracy with a variety of stocks, but Mauser and Model 70s will be a challenge to set up that way.

I second the Mausingfield- great looks, controlled feed with an inertial ejector, and it’ll also take all the R700 accessories out there like mini-chassis and aftermarket triggers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow these are great responses.

If someone was going to take the path of a custom rifle, where should they go to find a builder?

My primary desire with anything custom would be that the stock is fitted to me. I assume this means it would need to
be wood.

If it matters I’m in the VA/MD area.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 9:36:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m47181] [#17]

If someone was going to take the path of a custom rifle, where should they go to find a builder?

My primary desire with anything custom would be that the stock is fitted to me. I assume this means it would need to
be wood.

View Quote

What is your price range for this build?. I apologize if its been asked before.
Because iv been kind of thinking about this post.
So when you go on a hunt, weather it’s grizzly in the north. To elk in the west or to the dark continent. Yes everybody wants that heirloom rifle.  But the things I remember the most about my hunts is just being in the moment. Glassing or stalking the animal, sitting around the fire at night with a good drink and talking and swapping stories with the PHs and other hunters.
When it comes to the shot I remember them all. But to behonest everybody gets caught up in the rifle. A 12-30K rifle will shoot just as straight and true as a nice $1200 Sako fin bear or a Winchester. My Winchester M70 was glass and pillar beaded  and I took a nice moose in AK two years ago with no issues from 225yds.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Use a rifle supplied by the outfitter.  They will have the proper rifle and save you a lot of time going thru Customs after the long flight to Joberg.  Plus, it won't get stolen like from the Texas guy I talked to  before the flight on the way over on 6/17.

Also, don't bring ammo.  Same reasoning.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By hardcase:
Use a rifle supplied by the outfitter.  They will have the proper rifle and save you a lot of time going thru Customs after the long flight to Joberg.  Plus, it won't get stolen like from the Texas guy I talked to  before the flight on the way over on 6/17.

Also, don't bring ammo.  Same reasoning.

Good luck.

View Quote

That, right there.^ Save yourself some cash and a lot of hassle.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Ruger M77 Guide Gun
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:10:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FunFirepower] [#21]
Lots of good custom gun builders out there, it would be difficult to recommend one- but I might check in with Short Action Customs to price out a build.

I can also recommend Briley in Houston as people who know how to fit a custom wood stick to a rifle. I would decide on an action-mini chassis before getting the stick fitted.

Sounds like it’ll be a lovely gun!

Also-also, for a barrel, if you use a Mausingfield, there are multiple options for shouldered, pre-fit barrels that will probably strike a very desirable cost-ease-performance balance for the project.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
Any Sako. Done.
View Quote
If i had the need and the wherewithal, this would be my choice. A Sako 85 Bavarian carbine with a mannlicher stock.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#23]
If you’re spending that kind of coin perhaps a fine Mauser would be the ticket.  They still make some upscale rifles.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
If i had the need and the wherewithal, this would be my choice. A Sako 85 Bavarian carbine with a mannlicher stock.
View Quote

It’s love one in 6.5x55
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#25]

be wood.

View Quote

Not necessarily.  

McMillan et al make fiberglas stocks adjusted in a few parameters,  I like stocks between a standard and youth size.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
If you’re spending that kind of coin perhaps a fine Mauser would be the ticket.  They still make some upscale rifles.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#27]

be wood.

If it matters I'm in the VA/MD area.
View Quote
My best shooting and favorite hunting rifle was built by Van at Plains Precision Firearms, the man knows his craft, and sends you a system ready to hunt, and is super easy to work with.  If have every confidence that he will nail your build even from out of state.  PPF

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#29]
Originally Posted By wvfarrier:
Buy a Big Horn Origin Action, PVA Pre-Fit Barrel, Timney trigger, MDT Chassis and have your gunsmith slap it together.   It will be under $2500 and shoot laser beam straight.
View Quote

This. I built mine. If you're doing shouldered prefit barrels as long as you've got a barrel vice and wrench you can build it yourself.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FluffyTheCat] [#30]
@Dessert_Eagle

Here's what to do:

Contact Frikkie du Plooy at Musgrave Wapenfabriek in Ermelo, South Africa. His Whatsapp number is 27 82 823 7649.

Tell him that I sent you. Frikkie will build you the custom Mauser of your dreams.

Then once your rifle is ready, Frikkie will take you hunting with the rifle that he made for you.

Musgrave Wapenfabriek does incredible work. The rifle in the picture is a 7x57 that shoots half MOA or better

Frikkie also owns Wildman Outdoors which is South Africa's largest chain of outdoor stores. Frikkie can be found at the Wildman Centurion store at John Vorster & Akkerboom St, Zwartkop, Centurion, 0051, South Africa. (This in the Pretoria area)

Go to the store and you will be Frikkie's honored guest.

Link Posted: 7/5/2024 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I’d call bugholes and order a custom barreled action with a origin action and Bartleins #3 or #3B barrel and then drop it in a good hunting style stock from Manners or McMillan if you’re set on a 30-06.

Personally though I’d choose a different cartridge and get a Seekins Element.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Might want to make sure it’s legal where you hunt. Many African countries have a minimum caliber and most start with a 375 H&H.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#33]
CZ550 in .375 HH
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Sako S20 in 30-06

Sako S20
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Might want to make sure it’s legal where you hunt. Many African countries have a minimum caliber and most start with a 375 H&H.
View Quote

Isn't that for dangerous game?
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#36]
IF your shooting from sticks then why do you demand such accuracy? 1-1.5 MOA is perfectly adequate for most real world shooting scenarios. If it were me I would look around for some second hand customs. You will get the nostalgia of shooting a custom mauser for less than half the price of new.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Curmudgeon762] [#37]
I’d say get an older Weatherby Mk V (my first centerfire rifle) but I’ve heard the ivory inlay in the grip cant go through customs. Mine still shoots MOA after well over 40 years. It still has the scope in came with as well
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Gee, I'd just like to know WTF are you going to be shooting at?
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:

Plains game?

https://biggamehuntingadventures.com/best-caliber-for-an-african-safari-hunt/

Best Caliber For Hunting Plains Game
Generally speaking, the .270 Winchester is the minimum caliber suitable (and legal) for most species of plains game like impala and springbok, though some countries have a 7mm minimum caliber. When using good quality bullets, the .270 (and similar cartridges like the 7mm Remington Magnum) is perfectly capable of taking some larger antelope as well.

However, the .30-06 Springfield is probably the best all-around caliber for hunting plains game in Africa. When using premium 180gr (or heavier) bullets, the .30-06 is powerful enough to ethically take virtually every species of plains game proper shot placement. It is also an excellent choice for hunting thin skinned dangerous game like leopard. At the same time, the .30-06 Springfield has a relatively mild recoil, has a trajectory suitable for taking shots out to several hundred yards, and most hunters can shoot it accurately. The same could be said about the .308 Winchester.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Are you gonna have to carry it a long ways? I’ve heard a number of tales of stalking game for miles in the hot African plains. If you plan to carry it, might want to think about weight, too. Some of those beautiful wood-stocked rifles are heavy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By peachy:
Are you gonna have to carry it a long ways? I’ve heard a number of tales of stalking game for miles in the hot African plains. If you plan to carry it, might want to think about weight, too. Some of those beautiful wood-stocked rifles are heavy.
View Quote

Not anywhere near as heavy as some of the chassis' suggested above.  
I looked d up one of those above and the chassis is almost 5lbs.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 1:09:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#42]
Seek out a Remington 700KS Custom Shop Mountain Rifle in .30-'06.   It is a true Custom Shop rifle from the days when Remington did excellent work in its custom shop.  It is a blueprinted and trued action, air gauged sporter 24" barrel in a McMillan sporter stock.  Extremely accurate for a light weight sporter.  My .280 Remington version easily shoots 3/4 MOA with handloaded hunting bullets (Barnes TTSX or Nosler AccuBond), and 1/2 MOA with Berger match bullets.

Top it off with a Leupold VX6 2-12x42 scope in Talley steel QD rings and bases (this lets you carry a separate pre-zeroed scope in your kit in case your scope gets damaged thousands of miles from home.

With the "backup" pre-sighted Kahles 2-7x36 Helia CL Scope

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 1:24:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I am taking my CZ600 Lux in .30-06 next year. Seems to like 180gr Barnes TTSX just fine and I did get a custom dial for it.

Nice Bavarian stock and mine has good enough wood. I am only going after plains game on this hunt and wanted a nice rifle. My boy wants to use it for local hunting too.

WHen I do DG in a couple of years I am just going to do a camp rifle and save the hassle of having a .375 or .416 for only one time unless I hit the lottery and then it will be a double rifle.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 3:26:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#44]
Tikka, Sako and CZ would be all worth looking at. A used CZ is a traditional Mauser action and I have yet to see one that was not a shooter. I own a .308 and a .375 H&H
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Ruger m77 express safari 30/06

Good luck finding one!!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a Sako L61R for this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:
I have a Sako L61R for this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73019/IMG_3218_jpeg-3269670.JPG
View Quote

Beautiful!  I have an L579, which is a medium length action version.  Its chambered in 6mm Rem, a bit light for African plains, though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Not near as exotic as some of the guns mentioned but I've got a safari in South Africa coming up, I'm taking a Ruger Hawkeye stainless in .308. Shoots 1/2 groups with any bullet and is very reliable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top