Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2024 5:03:41 PM EDT
Thinking about getting into the 12 gauge suppressor game, but I don't know a lot about them. I know the Salvo 12 has been the staple for a while, but I see that JK Armament has some offerings, as well.

I'm not worried about size, weight, or flash reduction. I just want the quietest one. I am aware that none of them are movie quiet. It seems the reviews I see of all of them are split 50/50: some people say they work great, and others say they aren't. Some I've read even say it's barely any quieter than unsuppressed. I also plan to just run standard velocity stuff for the most part.

Can anyone offer their personal experiences with any of the 12 gauge offerings?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had a Salvo for a long time, and personally I like it, but I also really like shotguns.  To me, it sounds really good with subsonic shot and most mini-shells.  It basically lives on my SBS 870, but I have mounts to put it on most of my other shotguns.  It's heavy and bulky, and not something I'd want to use on a full length gun.  I'd love to try out any other offerings that were lighter, but I haven't had the opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

I’m pleased with mine. Great for Turkey, and slug for deer.  Not Hollywood quiet, but definitely hearing safe.  I haven’t tried subsonic yet, but looking forward to those.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got the salvo and I like it. I've tried it on several shotguns and I think it reduces recoil. Sound I've only shot high velocity " />rounds. You do need to make sure buckshot is cupped.
People have commented that it definitely changes the sound.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve had a Salvo 12 in jail since May.  My FFL closed up shop at the end of June, but still no word on my “expedited” Form 4.  I am hoping to report in this thread very soon about how it sounds on my Benelli M4…
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm waiting for HuxWrx to stop being dumb and selling the Ventum 12k to us regular folks, not just the Feds and Genesis Arms.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:01:43 AM EDT
[#6]
OP, not much subsonic ammo on the market, and not many subsonic load recipes.

Supersonic loads are never hearing safe, despite what the old deaf guys tell you.  It's hearing safe to them b/c they've already got hearing loss in those frequencies.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 10:43:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flammenwerfer35] [#7]
I have a salvo, I bought it so it wouldn't ring my bell when hunting.  It works fine at that job.  However, I'd suggest getting a short barrel if you want to shoot birds with it so it swings better.  I can't imagine using it on anything flying with a 26" barrel.  With 12ga birdshot you don't really gain much velocity after 12-14"
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Appreciate everyone's input. I did go ahead and start the process on a Salvo 12. Purchased from SS last night around 11 and received the DocuSign for the form 3 early this morning. I also snagged an 8" rod kit for it from Midway, and a Rem choke adapter from SS.

I plan on for sure running it on my Mossberg Shockwave SBS, but I need to send the barrel to Rose's to get threaded for a choke. I'm also thinking about sending my 14" barreled Remington 11-87 SBS, but I'm not sure if it'll run with the can.

So my next question is, does anyone run a Salvo 12 on a semiauto 14"? Does it have any issues cycling reliably?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I tossed my 12” salvo on an old stock M1S90 with a 19.5” barrel. It caused it to not cycle right. I think it was to much weight for the old recoil operated system.  I tried both birdshot and buck, with no luck. The only other gun I have to use it on is a mossberg 500 that Rose Action it down to 18” and threaded for me. I keep thinking about making a SBS, but can’t decide on which action/gun to go with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 4:00:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Toker_] [#10]
If the main use would be for hunting, why not use some quality electronic in ear buds instead? I use the Shothunt when I do upland or waterfowl hunting. Really good NRR and amplification if needed
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 5:50:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JJL0325:

So my next question is, does anyone run a Salvo 12 on a semiauto 14"? Does it have any issues cycling reliably?

Thanks
View Quote
My TavorTS12 is 18.5" long and cycles great:

Old thread discussing what ammo I use: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Ammo-suggestions-for-Salvo-/20-551668/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I got mine when I got a new dog for birds. I wanted to protect his hearing also, or at least that was the excuse I used to justify getting another silencer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Scrambler07:
I got mine when I got a new dog for birds. I wanted to protect his hearing also, or at least that was the excuse I used to justify getting another silencer.
View Quote

That's a dang fine excuse!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 8:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37] [#14]
Appreciate everyone's input. I did go ahead and start the process on a Salvo 12. Purchased from SS last night around 11 and received the DocuSign for the form 3 early this morning. I also snagged an 8" rod kit for it from Midway, and a Rem choke adapter from SS.

I plan on for sure running it on my Mossberg Shockwave SBS, but I need to send the barrel to Rose's to get threaded for a choke. I'm also thinking about sending my 14" barreled Remington 11-87 SBS, but I'm not sure if it'll run with the can.

Thanks
View Quote

I think this means we're (kinda) friends now.....

Attachment Attached File

My 1187 (18") will not run low powered birdshot with or without the Salvo, maybe the 14 port size is more generous.  High powered stuff runs fine, but it's loud (supersonic).
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 7:00:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJL0325] [#15]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:

I think this means we're (kinda) friends now.....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123106/20180324_194222_jpg-3280506.JPG

My 1187 (18") will not run low powered birdshot with or without the Salvo, maybe the 14 port size is more generous.  High powered stuff runs fine, but it's loud (supersonic).
View Quote

Gang!

Yeah I shot my 11-87 for the first time the other day. It wouldn't reliably cycle on anything but full power buck and slugs. Regardless, I'm still sending it's barrel, and my Mossberg Shockwave, to RAS for choke threading.

Whether the Salvo 12 is useful or just a novelty, I'm okay with either.  Lol

Link Posted: 7/30/2024 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Gang!

Yeah I shot my 11-87 for the first time the other day. It wouldn't reliably cycle on anything but full power buck and slugs. Regardless, I'm still sending it's barrel, and my Mossberg Shockwave, to RAS for choke threading.

Whether the Salvo 12 is useful or just a novelty, I'm okay with either.  Lol

https://i.imgur.com/ZtQ5WBZ.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/eGenYLv.jpeg
View Quote

Nice.

I've always said the two favorite cans for someone that's never shot suppressed before is rimfire and shooting clays with the Salvo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Now if I could just find a new 14" Benelli barrel in H2O finish in stock, I would be thrilled

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 4:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJL0325] [#18]
Certified my Salvo 12 on 8/23. It got approved today on 8/28.

Already have the mount and an 8" rod kit for it.

Now I just need my 11-87 and Shockwave barrels back from Rose Action Sports

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By bwideman:
Now if I could just find a new 14" Benelli barrel in H2O finish in stock, I would be thrilled

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/182293/310D1F8D-4313-4D8F-8BD6-D5C0C63A9317_JPE-3198614.jpg
View Quote

How does that M4 run with the can?

I've had a JK armament can sitting in my safe for the better part of six months now with no host.  I was considering buying an m4 SBS Entry to mount that on.  Curious if the gun will run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top