Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2024 7:02:26 AM EDT
I bought it a long time ago and it hasn't appreciated in value. It's bulky and takes up a huge portion of the safe. I might be moving 2 times in the next ten years might sell the boat anchor.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Sold mine two years ago for the same reason, I did profit on the sale.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#2]
One of the reasons I got an M99 instead.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I love the gun but it also takes up much of the back seat in the pelican case. I feel like it's not worth the bulk.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't shoot it then sell it and buy another gun you want or ammo for guns you do shoot regularly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]
My 10 year old thinks he needs one, he'll give you all his savings for it
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 9:37:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#6]
I wouldn't. They're talking about banning them and if Biden gets it this time around I think the ATF will try.

Might regret it then...

Hell, I've been thinking about buying one, just have nowhere to shoot it over 200 yards.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Keep it, may come in use  soon
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#8]
It was font and center on Face the Nation last week.

Link Posted: 6/7/2024 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kip4:
I bought it a long time ago and it hasn't appreciated in value. It's bulky and takes up a huge portion of the safe. I might be moving 2 times in the next ten years might sell the boat anchor.
View Quote

Yes.

To me, we can work out a payment plan !

And ill be your friend !
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 6:09:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAESAN] [#10]
Where is current pricing on these?
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Got somehwere to shoot it?

I passed on a like new 82 w/ scope for $6k, because it would just be an anchor to me.   Probably never fired, because nowhere to shoot it within 300 miles.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the m82 the ruger mini 14 of .50 caliber rifles? As cool as the m82 looks, I was always told it was severely lacking in the accuracy department.  That's why I stayed away. The m107 is the one to buy if you want to look cool and hit things at distance.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Lots of talk of trying to ban .50s in general and rifles like the Barrett are at the center of that push. They are showing up in Mexico regularly most likely from the ATF since it helps push their gun control agenda. If they are banned, most likely they will be grandfathered in and those that have them will see them climb up in price just like most NFA guns. What value you might be looking at now could easily quadruple if that happens. I’d at least wait until after the election. I have a feeling if Biden gets re-elected the ATF is going to really step up their push and go scorched earth as they will have full unencumbered support.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 8:33:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vellnueve] [#14]
Originally Posted By Kip4:
View Quote

I’m moving for the 7th time in 13 years this summer. The shortest of those moves was 600 miles. I’ve never had to sell a gun because it was difficult to move.

I’d give my left nut to only move twice in 10 years.

and yes, an M82A1 has been part of several of those moves.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess it depends - if you don't/can't shoot it I'd sell it for sure.  I have no qualms about parting with a gun I don't want anymore.

I had a .50 for a while.  Was all excited to get it, then got it and it turns out I could barely shoot the thing.  No ranges near me allowed them, and it was even hard to find state land where I could stretch its legs.  So I sold it and plan on eventually just getting an absurdly powerful elephant rifle like a 460 Weatherby Magnum.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#16]
If you’re asking if you should, then you should.  I have a few things that I won’t sell.  The rest are gone if I started asking if I should.

If you had the money you would get from selling this one on the table in front of you, would you buy it again if you didn’t have one?  There’s your answer.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dakota_Don:
If you had the money you would get from selling this one on the table in front of you, would you buy it again if you didn’t have one?  There’s your answer.
View Quote

That's honestly a pretty good way to think about it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Zeebz:

That's honestly a pretty good way to think about it.
View Quote

That’s the test I use for my buying and selling.  Works for any dollar amount, but really shines through with high amounts.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:38:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the1919man] [#20]
I would only sell to fund night vision/ thermal/ full auto. As other have said the Barrett .50 will likely be a prime target in a gun control push in the future, in which case the value will skyrocket.

That said, if you don’t have night vision or thermal those things will be much more useful than a .50 if we have civil unrest/ violence that intensify in the coming years.

The Barrett has its place, but I don’t shoot cars or burned out tank hulls at 1,500 yards so I don’t really have a lot of use for one in my present situation. For long range shooting I prefer a 300 PRC or .338 Lapua that are much more accurate.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Unless you need the money, I would not sell. If the chips were down and you needed to use it, only a fullauto M2HB or a minigun is going to lay down more hate.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Dakota_Don:
If you’re asking if you should, then you should.  I have a few things that I won’t sell.  The rest are gone if I started asking if I should.

View Quote

Yep, and I dont over think it after.  I have ZERO good reason to own an M82CQ......it's all wrong for nearly everything, except what it's intended for, and most of us ain't takin out Toyotas.

I already own every firearm I want, for any reason i might want or need one. EVen though I love em and with my wife enjoy the addiction, I have to temper myself with a little reality........the M82 is a fairly solid investment if you get a good deal.

Truth is I only have it because no matter what, it holds some value that I woulda pissed away on even dumber shit, and it's fuggin badass
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#24]
Originally Posted By MK318:
Lots of talk of trying to ban .50s in general and rifles like the Barrett are at the center of that push. They are showing up in Mexico regularly most likely from the ATF since it helps push their gun control agenda. If they are banned, most likely they will be grandfathered in and those that have them will see them climb up in price just like most NFA guns. What value you might be looking at now could easily quadruple if that happens. I’d at least wait until after the election. I have a feeling if Biden gets re-elected the ATF is going to really step up their push and go scorched earth as they will have full unencumbered support.
View Quote

Think Barrett saw this coming and sold the business. If you have plenty of ammo for it, keep it. May come in handy if shit really hits the fall this fall. Had a Safety Harbor 50 BMG bolt action. Wish I didn’t sell it years ago but it was brutal on my back. Sold it after my 1st back surgery.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 5:10:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By takdriver:
I guess correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the m82 the ruger mini 14 of .50 caliber rifles? As cool as the m82 looks, I was always told it was severely lacking in the accuracy department.  That's why I stayed away. The m107 is the one to buy if you want to look cool and hit things at distance.
View Quote

I have NEVER heard or read that
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#26]
“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”  

Col. Townsend Whelen
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:02:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

View Quote

I did not make it up, that comes up from time to time in the .50 forum. The m82a1 is not considered to be a very accurate rifle amongst the other options. The m107 is the improved model, but it's out of my price range.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:21:16 AM EDT
[#28]

I did not make it up, that comes up from time to time in the .50 forum. The m82a1 is not considered to be a very accurate rifle amongst the other options. The m107 is the improved model, but it's out of my price range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It wasn't designed to be a tack driver; it's an anti-materiel rifle.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By PNFLDS:

It wasn't designed to be a tack driver; it's an anti-materiel rifle.
View Quote

Adding to this the US Army runs plain ball ammo through them.  I saw a National Geographic documentary about Barrett, and Nick Ranstad was on it.  The ammo they were using had 1940's headstamps.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The 107 is lighter due to having an aluminum receiver which is actually stiffer than the steel one in the 82. That said, the op system incorporates a short stroke recoiling barrel, which necessarily reduces accuracy. Then there's the 50 BMG round itself, which has a profile that doesn't make it the most precision-oriented.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

The 107 is lighter due to having an aluminum receiver which is actually stiffer than the steel one in the 82. That said, the op system incorporates a short stroke recoiling barrel, which necessarily reduces accuracy. Then there's the 50 BMG round itself, which has a profile that doesn't make it the most precision-oriented.
View Quote

The 107A1 uses the extruded aluminum upper. The 107 that the Army contracted has the 4140 sheet metal upper.
Top Top