Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2024 9:50:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR]
...before looking at at how much original and reproduction parts cost...

Anyway, I am committed to building the rifle from the stripped receiver in 1-2 years piece by piece.

The seller said it was was a 38-50/44-40 receiver. But is there a way to verify this before i start buying costly parts?  On the 1873s, the sn was on the lower tang which I don't have yet.

I don't know how to tell 1st model, 2nd model differences either, or if that even matters.

Anybody got any tips?

Link Posted: 10/27/2011 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Sell it immediately ..... trying to build an 1873 one part at a time isn't a good idea
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#3]
About 10 years ago I looked at doing what you are doing. It was still expensive and I quickly decided to not mess with it. I inherited an 1873 a few years ago and getting the few missing parts to make it functional were a bit expensive.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:33:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#4]
Well just got an original lower tang with an 1885 SN for $97. Now at least it has a manufacture date.

I think I can build it out for less than a Uberti Italian reproduction, which is selling for $1700.

Actually much less.
Just really need be sure I'm getting the right parts.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M1Lou:
About 10 years ago I looked at doing what you are doing. It was still expensive and I quickly decided to not mess with it. I inherited an 1873 a few years ago and getting the few missing parts to make it functional were a bit expensive.
View Quote

yep. seems like most parts are very high.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me check my parts boxes. I think I can hook you up with a dust cover and a few other things.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:13:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dracster:
Let me check my parts boxes. I think I can hook you up with a dust cover and a few other things.
View Quote

Any help is appreciated. It's a large caliber (40-40/38-40) model 3 (per Janos @ Homestead parts).

This is how far I have gotten so far.

Slowly but surely. Probably going to try for a rifle build rather than carbine.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top