BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:33:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#1]
Here it is with the 22 upper and mag.

The Mcfadden loader is fantastic.  That is a must-have.

I don't have an optic yet, I guess I'll get a small scope or red dot.

Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:34:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#2]
I did not have any problem using the offset adapter pin, the gun opens fine, no sign of binding

I'm using imgbox bb code for the pictures, which seems to work best so far

Link Posted: 7/12/2024 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sleestakwhisperer:
I did not have any problem using the offset adapter pin, the gun opens fine, no sign of binding
View Quote

You’re miles ahead of me.  I couldn’t even get the rear pin pushed out, LOL!
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Dakota_Don:

You’re miles ahead of me.  I couldn’t even get the rear pin pushed out, LOL!
View Quote

if you rotate the adapter pin to the right spot, it works fine

if you rotate it until it's really tight, with the upper on the lower, it will bind up the gun.  I mean rotate the whole assembly in the gun, not tightening the nut on it.

if you eff with it a little, you'll see what i mean.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#5]

if you rotate the adapter pin to the right spot, it works fine

if you rotate it until it's really tight, with the upper on the lower, it will bind up the gun.  I mean rotate the whole assembly in the gun, not tightening the nut on it.

if you eff with it a little, you'll see what i mean.
View Quote

I converted all uppers to SP1’s and didn’t look back.  Just got my 14.5” confirmed yesterday.  Runs perfectly with brass and the port opened up to 0.067”.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 8:47:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#6]
Brownells has stripped Colt 6920 uppers for sale for $468 after the 15% discount for signing up for their emails.  

The gun now has a $15 Brownells lower spring kit, the Tubbs flat recoil spring and the Odin adjustable buffer.  I plan on getting a new set of lower fire control parts just for the heck of it.  Still working on that one.

And that's that.  Thanks for your help, guys.

" />
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
The malfunction with light strikes….was it a dead hammer with those? If so, it’s likely bolt bounce and is fixed by using a heavier buffer. I like h2 and h3 buffers in my M16s.
View Quote

This.

Is the upper SP1or M16?  There’s a recess for auto sear movement in the select fire version.

Any idea when the springs were last changed?  They are wear items, so if I invested in a FA, the first move would be to replace all springs.

As noted, the heaviest buffer that will run usually helps bolt bounce & light strikes; did you check the gas port for erosion?  Wouldn’t typically cause light strikes, but used is used.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]

It's a legal NFA-registered full auto LaFrance conversion of a Colt SP1 that I bought from a Class 3 dealer a few months ago.  

I was not aware that there are "fake" M16s or I would have spelled it out more clearly.

The light primer strikes occurred in both full auto and semi.

I used about half of a mag of Federal XM193 that is headstamped 09.  That was last of my supply of that.

And I have a case of Federal American Eagle in the black box.  

AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with that ammo brand and type.  What ammo should I be using?  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
Assuming this is a real full auto M16...

Nice - but Why run old cheap ammo through an investment like that?

It's a legal NFA-registered full auto LaFrance conversion of a Colt SP1 that I bought from a Class 3 dealer a few months ago.  

I was not aware that there are "fake" M16s or I would have spelled it out more clearly.

The light primer strikes occurred in both full auto and semi.

I used about half of a mag of Federal XM193 that is headstamped 09.  That was last of my supply of that.

And I have a case of Federal American Eagle in the black box.  

AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with that ammo brand and type.  What ammo should I be using?  

Ammo is fine.  Steel case & .223 are variable vs 5.56 pressure.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By localizer11:
Skip the large pin uppers all together. Contact Gary’s Bunker about doing the small pin conversion.

https://www.garysbunker.com/nfa-services/

M60 Joe did the small pin conversion on my SP1 RR years ago and I’ve never looked back.
View Quote

I got the small hole conversion done.

Now I'm looking at pivot pin options.

Looks like the choice is between the colt screw-together one or the KNS detent-ball one.  

The gunsmith who did the conversion gave me a pin that uses an e-clip, but I want to be able to swap uppers quickly.

I had the lower ceracoated, already scratched it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Now I'm looking at pivot pin options.

Looks like the choice is between the colt screw-together one or the KNS detent-ball one.  

The gunsmith who did the conversion gave me a pin that uses an e-clip, but I want to be able to swap uppers quickly.

I had the lower ceracoated, already scratched it.
View Quote

Michigan was a "C & R" machine guns only state until very late 2005, so my first "M16" was a Colt Model 601 which has the funky screw front pin configuration.  I quickly switched to the KNS pin.  (FWIW, after MI opened the door to all transferrable machine guns, I eventually sold the 601 and replaced it with a 653.)

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

What did that set you back?  Got any close ups of the finished product?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top