Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2019 8:49:36 AM EDT
All, I need a little help. My department has a couple of streetsweepers which have been collecting dust for the last 15 years or so.  They were here longer than that but no one has carried one since then. I am trying to talk the powers that be into selling them to the correct NFA dealer. Does anyone know what these are worth and can any NFA dealer transfer these since they are a DD? Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Are they NFA registered?
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they NFA registered?
View Quote
no they belong to a department
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You don't want to sell them. They should be traded in.
You might be able to find a dealer so swap them out 1:1 for Colt 6933s.
View Quote
That was my intent, I just worded it wrong. I figure they would be worth more but I guess not...
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

no they belong to a department
View Quote
Yes, but the department should hopefully have them on a form 5. Just because they belong to a police department doesn't mean they don't have to comply with NFA rules and regulations, it just means that they can be tax exempt. If they do not have them on a form 5, then they would probably be considered contraband and I believe are required to be destroyed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, but the department should hopefully have them on a form 5. Just because they belong to a police department doesn't mean they don't have to comply with NFA rules and regulations, it just means that they can be tax exempt. If they do not have them on a form 5, then they would probably be considered contraband and I believe are required to be destroyed.
View Quote
No, the agency can simply register them on Form 1 (tax-exempt) if they're not currently registered.

There's no need to destroy them, nor register them on Form 10 (which is intended for otherwise unregisterable contraband such as unregistered post-86 MGs).

It's correct that they should've been transferred on Form 5, if they were transferred to the agency on/after March 1, 1994, when ATF declared Streetsweepers to be DDs (ATF Ruling 94-2).
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If you decide to cut up the receiver, people might want the parts, especially parts of the receiver. I know an FFL in Texas that wants a SS.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, the agency can simply register them on Form 1 (tax-exempt) if they're not currently registered.

There's no need to destroy them, nor register them on Form 10 (which is intended for otherwise unregisterable contraband such as unregistered post-86 MGs).

It's correct that they should've been transferred on Form 5, if they were transferred to the agency on/after March 1, 1994, when ATF declared Streetsweepers to be DDs (ATF Ruling 94-2).
View Quote
Maybe the LE agency can, but I know that a FFL can't. Went through this with the ATF last year. Someone brought in a streetsweeper from an estate that was never registered. We asked the ATF whether we could still register the firearm as a DD even though it was after the grace period. ATF came back and said we can't register it and that the item will need to be destroyed.

If the agency doesn't have it on a form 5, I would be interested to hear if the ATF will allow them to register it on a form 1.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe the LE agency can, but I know that a FFL can't. Went through this with the ATF last year. Someone brought in a streetsweeper from an estate that was never registered. We asked the ATF whether we could still register the firearm as a DD even though it was after the grace period. ATF came back and said we can't register it and that the item will need to be destroyed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
FFL can do it (as can anyone else)...

If there's no barrel (and cylinder with this model) then they don't possess a DD. The receiver by itself is not a DD; it's a Title I firearm.
So register it as a DD, engrave, and assemble (adding back the barrel + cylinder).

I'm not surprised ATF said that. They don't want us to have nice things.

If you want to buy one from somebody, and it wasn't registered... have them separate the barrel and cylinder, and ship those separately from the receiver. (Receiver ships to FFL for example). The other parts are just parts. That way you (and your FFL) are never in possession of an unregistered DD.

Also keep in mind the statute of limitations for unlawful NFA possession is 10 years counting from the moment the possession ended.

If the agency doesn't have it on a form 5, I would be interested to hear if the ATF will allow them to register it on a form 1.
Of course they will.
The agency wouldn't even have to disassemble it/them.

When it comes to government possession, NFA registration is merely a formality.
Technically it shall not apply to state & local government organizations, although they're still supposed to register their NFA firearms so they may be entered into the NFRTR by ATF.

NFA firearms in the possession of, under the control of, or manufactured for contract delivery to the U.S. Government are not required to be registered at all.

The good news is that anyone receiving transfer of an NFA firearm from a government entity gets it tax-exempt on Form 5.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]
They are indeed registered, I just found that out this week but I didn’t ask which form they are. What are these worth on trade in?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What are these worth on trade in?
View Quote
Depends on what form was used.
If Form 10, not much, as they could only be transferred to government entities.

If they're transferable (on Form 1 or 5) then probably $700 - 1,000 each.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For Form 10, then they are US Government property and not your PD's property. (Worthless)
View Quote
They can be the local agency's property registered on Form 10.

Can only transfer to another government entity however (includes some museums).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top