Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2024 11:16:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: d16man]
What's the best, most durable suppressor for an M4-style carbine, with a 14" barrel, that suppresses muzzle blast enough to prevent outright hearing damage when fired indoors with no hearing protection?
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]

LOL
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:31:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

LOL
View Quote

This ^^^

Unless you shoot subsonic, there will still be much loudness.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Silencers/20/

It's not going to be hearing safe.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
It will take the noise down from EEEEEEEE oh my god I’m deaf, to holy shit that is still fucking loud.

Still worth it though. The suppressor forums are a good place to start. I like YHM because they make solid stuff at a great price.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The Goldilocks Suppressor? Griffin Recce 5K Review

Budget Price, High End Performance: OCL Polonium K review

I’ve shot both of these outside without earpro. Neither were painful, Griffin was probably a little quieter. Would not want to do it indoors though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Can only speak from personal experience, but my 16" barrel with a YHM Turbo t2 is hearing safe to me...

I'm 38, work in a factory, been shooting and riding most my life so take that for what it's worth, but I can shoot that all evening without ringing ears and such.

Link Posted: 7/11/2024 2:06:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out the Rugged Radiant
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#8]
14.5, m4 style? I love my Allen Engineering m4, has a deeper tone to my ear than other cans and is more pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I use an omega 30 on my 14.5 colt socom. I’m sure it’s not hearing safe, especially indoors. Now if I’m out in the open, not under the roof it’s much more pleasant, again not hearing safe I’m sure but great with electronic muffs.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Ears not ringing =/= hearing safe
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My saker 762 on my 10.5 is right on the border of hearing safe.  Usually I can get a few mags through before I gotta take a break.  My 12.5 and up is fine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By campower:
Can only speak from personal experience, but my 16" barrel with a YHM Turbo t2 is hearing safe to me...

I'm 38, work in a factory, been shooting and riding most my life so take that for what it's worth, but I can shoot that all evening without ringing ears and such.

View Quote

Indoors?
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I would not advise you shoot without ear pro.

I run a SOCOM MINI2 on my 14.5" mid just fine
Run a YHM Turbo T3 on everything else.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
I would not advise you shoot without ear pro.

I run a SOCOM MINI2 on my 14.5" mid just fine
Run a YHM Turbo T3 on everything else.
View Quote

Of course, but when shit goes bump in the night it isn't always convenient to grab your ears before you have to engage.

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Of course, but when shit goes bump in the night it isn't always convenient to grab your ears before you have to engage.

View Quote

Move?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#16]
CAT ODB A1 718

Zero flash, low backpressure, quiet to shooter, quiet in general, 100% Inconel construction.

Bad marketing, not super lightweight, not cheap.

Meets your criteria better than anything else on the market by a wide margin.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By aandrews:
What's the best, most durable suppressor for an M4-style carbine, with a 14" barrel, that suppresses muzzle blast enough to prevent outright hearing damage when fired indoors with no hearing protection?
View Quote

No silencer meets all those requirements.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Indoors is a VERY different case than outdoors. Even shooting under a roof outdoors make a huge difference. None will be close to hearing safe indoors. Still a lot better than none though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

This
Hang some peltors on your rifle buttstock

Originally Posted By owtlaw:
Check out the Rugged Radiant

I didn’t think the radiant was a quiet can…
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
14.5, m4 style? I love my Allen Engineering m4, has a deeper tone to my ear than other cans and is more pleasant to shoot.
View Quote

I second this motion , I love mine. PCC with suppressor and subs for inside house though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#21]
What if we use subsonic 5.56? He never said it had to cycle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#22]
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:12:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#23]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPdKVmd5Zw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzGB1AZrlQ

I’ve shot both of these outside without earpro. Neither were painful, Griffin was probably a little quieter. Would not want to do it indoors though.
View Quote

I compared both of these (actually a Recce 5 mod4, Recce 5K and Full size Polo) without earpro just a few weeks ago on a tuned 12.5" and tuned 11.5". Outside in an open field, was loud but bearable (and I'm still not going to make a habit of that). Outside but on a concrete pad and under a wooden roof was way, way louder, with some slight pain. It was a huge difference with just the floor and roof reflections, but still open on all sides.

Inside a house, any 5.56 can is going to hurt, no 5.56 can is hearing safe, no matter the barrel length. But it's a lot better than no can. Even a Turbo K is well worth the cost effort.  But of course, still wear earpro whenever possible.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dblazevich:
Ears not ringing =/= hearing safe
View Quote

Gotta agree. Just because you're not having your ears ringing, doeesn't necessarily mean you're not doing damage.

To try a can out for a couple of rounds to get an idea of it-sure I get that. To shoot a prolonged range session-not a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By forgottenben:
What if we use subsonic 5.56? He never said it had to cycle.
View Quote

Might as well just shoot a bolt gun then at that point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 9:07:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ggllggll] [#26]
I'll toss my hat in the ring...

Rex MG7 224 is good.

I heard that the polonium was supposed to be the beat bang for your buck, so I ordered one and honestly to me it's no better than the MG7, and sounds louder side by side.

Just this weekend we shot 14.5" m16 eith the Rex and the OCL, Rex beat it hands down.

Even shooting the Rex on a 10 inch M16 was comfortable.  Hearing safe?? Probably not, but it takes a huge chunk off the top.tip.

ETA: PLUS the Rex will turn a cool shade of blue when you get it realllllly hot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2024 8:41:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bluedog82] [#27]
Originally Posted By ggllggll:
I'll toss my hat in the ring...

Rex MG7 224 is good.

I heard that the polonium was supposed to be the beat bang for your buck, so I ordered one and honestly to me it's no better than the MG7, and sounds louder side by side.

Just this weekend we shot 14.5" m16 eith the Rex and the OCL, Rex beat it hands down.

Even shooting the Rex on a 10 inch M16 was comfortable.  Hearing safe?? Probably not, but it takes a huge chunk off the top.tip.

ETA: PLUS the Rex will turn a cool shade of blue when you get it realllllly hot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10799/20240318_184036_2_jpg-3279920.JPG
View Quote

The Rex’s are good cans. My first can was an MG7K that I later had Ecco Machine mod for me. They are, however, bigger cans than the Polo Ks—1.7” vs 1.6” OD, and about an inch longer, plus a few oz heavier.

The King of Silence, Improved: Rex MG7K Mod Ecco
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top