[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BBOHACH:

So in other words, order now.
View Quote
what site?
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The cost sucks, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a 3D printed Inconel can. It takes a long time to see a ROI on those Inconel printers. I love that the Surefire cans don't have threaded end caps or adapters to worry about backing off. I

The unreasonable part is that it is still a 17oz can. I was hoping they’d shave some of that down. Oh, well… might as well order one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Green0:

Right, so the only way to give customers a better price would be to engineer a less expensive product for the government to buy with taxpayers money.

In other words, if the taxpayer got a better deal, then the tax paying consumer could also get a better deal.

Maybe there is some unwritten requirement that everything that wins a contract with the government has to be overpriced.  When we recently talked to people in mil purchasing, they talked about prices on units half this high as something that would have to come down, so the whole what does it have to cost deal is hard to figure out. It certainly seemed as though the military procurement people we’re trying to get good budgetary value.

View Quote

Selling anything to the government is a huge pain in the ass and you have to charge a premium to bring that misery into your life willingly.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
SureFire Suppressors | RC2 vs RC3
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]
It seems to me that comparing the Rc2 and Rc3, the Rc3 reduces back pressure (which is huge) and improves on flash with a minor compromise on very slightly increasing DB.  Weight is about the same and its nice they kept the same muzzle devices.  I own a legacy can and two Rc2 cans.  If the price point comes down or came into the range of hux Id be interested.  
The price keeps me from looking at this which is also why I dont own a knights can either.  Hopefully guys will be happy with this though, surefire's warranty service was awesome the last time I dealt with them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ll probably get one of these eventually, but I’m in no hurry.  Hopefully they’ll be able to streamline the manufacturing and drop the price closer to around $1300.  That’s still $1500 with the tax, but better than paying $2k.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rightwing87:
I’ll probably get one of these eventually, but I’m in no hurry.  Hopefully they’ll be able to streamline the manufacturing and drop the price closer to around $1300.  That’s still $1500 with the tax, but better than paying $2k.
View Quote

We might see some sales where these get down to $1500ish in a year or two, but new in box ones will not be in the $1300 range anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#9]
View Quote

That looks like fun, but the stacked conexs creeps me out in a place that can get strong wind.

Also where mini3?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Right, so the only way to give customers a better price would be to engineer a less expensive product for the government to buy with taxpayers money.

In other words, if the taxpayer got a better deal, then the tax paying consumer could also get a better deal.

Maybe there is some unwritten requirement that everything that wins a contract with the government has to be overpriced.  When we recently talked to people in mil purchasing, they talked about prices on units half this high as something that would have to come down, so the whole what does it have to cost deal is hard to figure out. It certainly seemed as though the military procurement people we’re trying to get good budgetary value.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
They aren’t allowed to sell it to you for less than they sell it to the government for.

We're getting ready to purchase some suppressors to standardize on one thing.  Luckily we're small enough that we could probably buy them direct from the manufacturer without much FAR nonsense.  I certainly want to stretch our small budget as far as possible.  An RC3 would not be in our budget but then again, we don't have a DOD size budget either
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Selling anything to the government is a huge pain in the ass and you have to charge a premium to bring that misery into your life willingly.
View All Quotes

Contracting is only as difficult as you want it to be.  It's really a pretty straightforward process when buying commercially available items
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By cone256:

Contracting is only as difficult as you want it to be.  It's really a pretty straightforward process when buying commercially available items
View Quote

Everything I’ve ever sold true government was custom built to spec.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Then it just depends on the dollar amount really.  It's not hard to write out a specifications sheet, put it out on SAM for industry, then go with the vendor that provides you what you want.  It only gets stupid when you have people who don't know what they actually want, which isn't exclusive to government buyers, and can't fully flesh out a requirement
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Then it just depends on the dollar amount really.  It's not hard to write out a specifications sheet, put it out on SAM for industry, then go with the vendor that provides you what you want.  It only gets stupid when you have people who don't know what they actually want, which isn't exclusive to government buyers, and can't fully flesh out a requirement
View Quote

No it gets stupid when you’re using a bucket from foreign made screws to hold water and they stop work on the entire site to look for foreign made screws. Motherfucker that’s a water bucket now and has been since before this project started.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Night white light shooting:
AR-15 Night Training With The Surefire RC3 From Ridgeline Defense (Part 2)
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 6:26:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#16]
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#17]
$1799 MSRP ... wow
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
$1799 MSRP ... wow
View Quote

This.  SureFire makes premium stuff but they are out of their freaking minds on the price.

I would not buy an RC3 at any price over $1200.  I just cannot see what justifies that massive price jump from the RC2.

Even if it is 3D printed rainbow dust, it still is not justified.

I just picked up a CGS Hyperion.  3D printed titanium, DLC coated, with interchangeable front caps (flow through or increased back pressure).  Was $1250 out the door.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Any word when the FDE ones roll out? Or 762?
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 11:21:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlueShirtGuy] [#20]
Originally Posted By Johnson184:
Any word when the FDE ones roll out? Or 762?
View Quote

Both black and FDE are starting to show up at distributors and dealers. Distributors sold out in about 10 minutes on the first batch.

No ETA on the Mini version as of today.

A 762 version has not been announced.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I was specifically told that most incidents involved helicopters, and those guys were doing six rides many nights, 90 days straight. They use SF now. They also lost some M203s. Kids these days.
View Quote

Ironically, a team member told me of many socom cans lost out of helicopters. This was back before the ball detent QDC cans, so I know it wasn't a wording/product ID mistake on his part.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I am very curious how this can performs heads up for backpressure, sound, and flash mitigation vs KAC CRS PRG cans.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#23]
My Mini2 just cleared; email came through this morning.

About 11 months from completed form 4 submission till now.
I haven't even picked it up yet, but being in process of getting my old SDN-6 rebuilt to modern Ranger 7 specs has me wondering if there is a future where Surefire could/would rebuild older SOCOM cans into RC3s.

I'm guessing not, since these are designed and built primarily for institutional customers who are unlikely to care about that kind of thing, but I wonder if it is possible.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 11:21:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#24]
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:52:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#25]
On The Range With SureFire RC3

Some timeline updates:

762 RC3 Q1 2024 (Feb stated)
556 Mini3 mid 2024
762 Mini3 "maybe"

I could have sworn in some of the earlier videos they stated the Mini3 would only be a couple months behind the full size. Kind of a shame to see it pushed all the way to middle of next year, now I have to find something else to throw money at...
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsLHMXLR04A

Some timeline updates:

762 RC3 Q1 2024 (Feb stated)
556 Mini3 mid 2024
762 Mini3 "maybe"

I could have sworn in some of the earlier videos they stated the Mini3 would only be a couple months behind the full size. Kind of a shame to see it pushed all the way to middle of next year, now I have to find something else to throw money at...
View Quote

Guess I won't wait for the 762 Mini 3.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:37:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Ironically, a team member told me of many socom cans lost out of helicopters. This was back before the ball detent QDC cans, so I know it wasn't a wording/product ID mistake on his part.
View Quote

If a guy loses an SF can out of a helicopter I’m looking in his closet.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:21:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#28]
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:00:43 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Stories of Sf212 come to mind lol
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Supposedly a picture of an RC3

Link Posted: 12/9/2023 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#31]
LINK to alleged RC3 flamethrower discussion. 12.5," M855. At least 2 others claim a similar experience with Winchester, PMC Bronze, and Hornady Black.

Link Posted: 12/9/2023 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DDS87:
LINK to alleged RC3 flamethrower discussion. 12.5," M855. At least 2 others claim a similar experience with Winchester, PMC Bronze, and Hornady Black.

View Quote

I remember seeing a video where a SF rep said it took like a few years to get the flash suppression they wanted. I almost ordered one. Looking forward to seeing more reviews before I do so now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By rakkasan1187:

I remember seeing a video where a SF rep said it took like a few years to get the flash suppression they wanted. I almost ordered one. Looking forward to seeing more reviews before I do so now.
View Quote

One of them is saying that it does this every once in a while in his experience, regardless of ammo. Someone else replied that his KAC 7.62 PRG (basically KAC's 7.62 version of this) also does this occasionally shooting 5.56. It wasn't the first round pop, either.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#34]
The only way it would do that is if it’s capturing sunburned powder and then burning it all at once.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I think you’re right on this one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:

https://i.redd.it/z7349m1e355c1.jpg
View Quote

Well that's disappointing.  Was looking to pickup a Mini 3 when they dropped to replace my Vox K to help with flash suppression

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:22:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gopeder111] [#37]
From the TFB review comparison photo it looks heavily over bored compared to the RC2 which might explain the fireballs.

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#38]
I think the accumulation of unburned powder theory makes more sense since those affected say it happens randomly and not on the first round. I wonder if the bore is the same size all the way through, that does look large.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I've talked to a few dudes out here with me who've tested them-they also said the rc3 was really flashy
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:44:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gopeder111] [#40]
Originally Posted By DDS87:
I think the accumulation of unburned powder theory makes more sense since those affected say it happens randomly and not on the first round. I wonder if the bore is the same size all the way through, that does look large.
View Quote

True, that most likely explains the sporadic fireballs but it is still strange that they would overbore it to this extent. The fireball in the picture looks kind of like the first round pop you'd see when shooting 5.56 out of a 7.62 suppressor that has no flash hiding end cap or 5.56 endcap, maybe even worse.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#41]
That exit hole almost looks like it’s tapered to me. Might be giving the illusion its larger than it is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:26:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#42]

https://i.redd.it/z7349m1e355c1.jpg
View Quote

Incredibly disappointing if true. My only hesitation in believing this is that there are multiple videos of this can with no flash at all with long shot strings and full auto, and a flash like that I would expect to be daylight visible. I also feel like critical context such as the host weapon is missing here.

Also the echo chamber that is Reddit is currently on a hate train in regards to the RC3 due to its price, I would take everyone claiming they have seen similar with a massive grain of salt unless they can show proof. This is also the community that will claim that the Flow556k has the best flash performance industry wide, so...
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Are all current videos of the RC3 shown at a SureFire event using Black Hills ammo?
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 3:38:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ngc1300] [#44]

Incredibly disappointing if true. My only hesitation in believing this is that there are multiple videos of this can with no flash at all with long shot strings and full auto, and a flash like that I would expect to be daylight visible. I also feel like critical context such as the host weapon is missing here.

Also the echo chamber that is Reddit is currently on a hate train in regards to the RC3 due to its price, I would take everyone claiming they have seen similar with a massive grain of salt unless they can show proof. This is also the community that will claim that the Flow556k has the best flash performance industry wide, so...
View Quote
I called surefire and spoke to a rep, he said for max flash suppression on the RC3 you need to be using a 3prong or 4prong flash hider and that a brake or the tined flash hiders have more flash.  Could that be the inconsistency users are reporting?
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I called surefire and spoke to a rep, he said for max flash suppression on the RC3 you need to be using a 3prong or 4prong flash hider and that a brake or the tined flash hiders have more flash.  Could that be the inconsistency users are reporting?
View Quote

I sure hope that's it, my only other guess is this is some crazy 5" barrel abomination. The flash in picture just seems unrealistic given what has been shown, but most of what has been shown is from hand picked reviewers so who knows.
Thankfully I'm only in this for the Mini3 which is not slated to release for half a year, so plenty of time to see more examples of performance before I commit.

I might be bias, but it just doesn't feel like something Surefire would release and it certainly doesn't look like something the USSOCOM would contract.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#47]

I sure hope that's it, my only other guess is this is some crazy 5" barrel abomination. The flash in picture just seems unrealistic given what has been shown, but most of what has been shown is from hand picked reviewers so who knows.
Thankfully I'm only in this for the Mini3 which is not slated to release for half a year, so plenty of time to see more examples of performance before I commit.

I might be bias, but it just doesn't feel like something Surefire would release and it certainly doesn't look like something the USSOCOM would contract.
View Quote

I agree with you except you mean biased not bias.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I finger banged an rc3 compared to an rc2 at my local gun shop yesterday. The bore on the end cap is much larger than the rc2. The bore through the suppressor is about the same as the rc2. The range staff weren’t terribly impressed with the rc3. They said a little louder and a bit less blowback. Not a big enough difference to justify the cost ( and they sell both). I still think I’m gonna go old school and get the rc2 for my mk18 build.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 8:53:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#49]
Originally Posted By x_red_beard_x:
The cost sucks, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a 3D printed Inconel can. It takes a long time to see a ROI on those Inconel printers.
View Quote

SiCo Velos costs way less, a bit more than half maybe, and is a 3D printed Inconel can with a labyrinthine coaxial bypass surrounding traditional baffles, much like the RC3. Plus HUB adaptability.

I’m not saying its equal to the RC3, just that “3d printed Inconel” probably has little to do with the cost difference.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:00:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDS87] [#50]
SureFire has just released a statement (not a denial) on Instagram regarding flash performance of the RC3.
Page / 7
Surefire RC3 (Page 4 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top