Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/12/2023 9:18:38 PM EDT
Anyone actually get one in a reasonable amount of time?

Please post your experiences and pics
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 11:05:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 11:43:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#2]
View Quote
NVM, found it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
About 10 years ago (IIRC) I conducted a bushcraft knife test for another website.  I had a lot of people send me loaner knives to add to the knives I contributed to the test.  One of them was a GSO 4.1.  The owner said it took forever to receive and the knife performed very poorly.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Have a few ordered in 2014 that shipped within a couple months

Ordered two in November 2021

1) GSO 6 delivered 3 months later in Feb-22

2) GSO 4.7 hasn’t been delivered yet

dude had a flurry of YouTube vids posted, not sure if this is the last gasp or if he’ll actually make good.  Bladeforum 200+ page thread isn’t flattering at all

I will not be ordering anymore blades from SK
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 8:29:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodge223] [#5]
Waiting on a magnacut EDC-2.7 from mid ‘21 and a 3v GSO-3 from February of ‘22. Still haven’t been told that my EDC was canceled and “upgraded” to an EDC-3. I’m getting tired of these videos saying how everything is going great and orders are flying. They maybe flying but they are shipping knives in different steels/designs/models than what people ordered. When asked about it, you are told you can cancel your order if you are not happy.

The equivalent of paying for a Ferrari Enzo upfront and they wait 3 years and ship you a Honda Civic all while telling you, things are going so great now!

Here’s an idea, stop offering so many effing knives in such a small incremental amount of change and focus on making better decisions about preorder designs so you don’t have to change them so much on people that pay in full upfront to keep your ass afloat? Unreal at this point.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dodge223:
Waiting on a magnacut EDC-2.7 from mid ‘21 and a 3v GSO-3 from February of ‘22. Still haven’t been told that my EDC was canceled and “upgraded” to an EDC-3. I’m getting tired of these videos saying how everything is going great and orders are flying. They maybe flying but they are shipping knives in different steels/designs/models than what people ordered. When asked about it, you are told you can cancel your order if you are not happy.

The equivalent of paying for a Ferrari Enzo upfront and they wait 3 years and ship you a Honda Civic all while telling you, things are going so great now!

Here’s an idea, stop offering so many effing knives in such a small incremental amount of change and focus on making better decisions about preorder designs so you don’t have to change them so much on people that pay in full upfront to keep your ass afloat? Unreal at this point.
View Quote

The dude has been a classic “I’m a victim, but trying to do things right” like he’s some martyr for a long ass time now…. It’s kinda sad reading the all the friendly comments to his YouTube videos, bunch of suckers he’s scamming.  The guy is so full of shit
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:12:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GutWrench] [#7]
The company is shit. Do not order from them. However I have 4 of their knives. I bought them all used, except the 3.5, I fell for their “in-stock” bullshit and lies a couple years ago. The 3.5 was listed as in-stock. I messaged Guy on instagram and he said he would have it shipped immediately. I ended up waiting 4 months for a “in-stock” knife. guy blamed the sheath maker…

That all being said I love the knives themselves. I had initially got a 4.1 in a trade. Knife was damn good. So I bought the 2.7. Later I traded the 4.1 for the Necker II and I have the Black Scout Survival 5.0 I got from an eBay auction for $200.00.

I don’t have the BSS 5 here for a picture as it’s in my bag at home.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Had my girlfriend snap a couple pictures of the BSS 5 and send them to me.

I have been playing around with it set up on a HSGI dropleg panel. Kinda like a survival/EE rig just for shits and giggles. Store the whole thing in a pack.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a GS0 8 which I ordered on 12/16/21 and received it on
1/3/23. It's a beast of knife, Love it, quality is great.
GSO 12 ordered on 1/3/21 and Still no estimated time yet.
I honestly think I will never get it but I really want the knife.
Like a poster above mentioned, he keeps playing the victim and I think his clientele is getting smaller and smaller due to their slow process of fulfilling orders. Hopefully I am wrong I am pretty sure I will love the GSO 12, which makes me hesitant to cancel the order after so long.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Anybody live near PA, I hear he will give anyone a tour that asks. I’d like to see all shipments and progress going on!
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Got this one in 2015.  Ordered in April, received in July.  3V steel.  I didn't have the long delays like most of their customers.  It's a sweet blade.  Too bad it's a crap shoot on delivery times.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ossian:
Got this one in 2015.  Ordered in April, received in July.  3V steel.  I didn't have the long delays like most of their customers.  It's a sweet blade.  Too bad it's a crap shoot on delivery times.
https://imgpile.com/images/G3ETAh.jpg

View Quote

Is that a 4.1 or 4.7?
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

Is that a 4.1 or 4.7?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is that a 4.1 or 4.7?

It’s a 4.1.  The g10 is a bit slick but it was one of the only available options on an “in stock” blade at the time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 3:26:36 AM EDT
[#14]

It’s a 4.1.  The g10 is a bit slick but it was one of the only available options on an “in stock” blade at the time.
View Quote

Gotcha. That handle color is cool looking.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

It’s one of my favorite scale colors now.  I thought it was too bright when I first got it.  My feelings changed after field processing a couple of deer, the gso is a lot easier to find on the ground compared to one of my esee knives with an earth tone handle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I got one a long time ago, and there always seems to be drama from what I read in the forums.  My knife is nice, but I don't see it as being anything special, so why bother?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Their history is not good at all. So you're taking a huge gamble if you place an order from them.

There's a huge thread on them on Bladeforums and they are one of the few manufacturers that has a permanent thread in their Hall of Shame. These are numbers from their own website on their progress. Note that Survive! counts refunded orders as "Complete", so it's not easy to tell how much progress they actually make on older orders.

Link Posted: 1/25/2024 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MrHelper:

The dude has been a classic “I’m a victim, but trying to do things right” like he’s some martyr for a long ass time now…. It’s kinda sad reading the all the friendly comments to his YouTube videos, bunch of suckers he’s scamming.  The guy is so full of shit
View Quote

In one of the latest videos he complained about being the victim of predatory lending or some such thing.  Naturally that made me wonder: what about all the payments and deposits he's had from knives he's never delivered?  It seems to me like he keeps things afloat with the deposits, your payment today paid for some guy's knife from 2 years ago, in 2 years someone else's will pay for your's.

Second hand I might buy a knife of theirs but I'd never place a deposit.  We've seen this business model countless times before...
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Toker_:
Their history is not good at all. So you're taking a huge gamble if you place an order from them.

There's a huge thread on them on Bladeforums and they are one of the few manufacturers that has a permanent thread in their Hall of Shame. These are numbers from their own website on their progress. Note that Survive! counts refunded orders as "Complete", so it's not easy to tell how much progress they actually make on older orders.

https://i.imgur.com/ClMnYYW.jpg
View Quote

They are a perpetual never ending dumpster fire company, delay, issues, blaming outside issues non-stop since day one. Surprised they are still around to be honest, buy second hand at a discount if you must they are nothing special or worth the wait. Geez, I forgot how much I loath that company.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 7:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#20]
Another thing that makes me scratch my head is why is he the only maker that seems to have a problem with Magnacut or Crucible in general?  Maybe I missed something but he claimed they have various shortcomings and he clearly wanted to shift to Böhler.  Are other makers having these issues or is this unique to them?

[Edited to add]
It might be this video
Steel Mfg Standards & CPM Quality Criticisms
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MPi-KMS-72:
Another thing that makes me scratch my head is why is he the only maker that seems to have a problem with Magnacut or Crucible in general?  Maybe I missed something but he claimed they have various shortcomings and he clearly wanted to shift to Böhler.  Are other makers having these issues or is this unique to them?

[Edited to add]
It might be this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCEyrVkQC0o
View Quote

There were voids in the sheet steel he claims and shows a little in the videos.

He also claims they wouldn’t work with him on a monetary solution and he had to eat the cost of lost material and manufacturing time etc.

Before that he blamed Peter’s heat treat for running all his cut blanks claiming they were not doing it right and warping all the steel.

It’s suspect that no one else ever comes forth with the same issues.

He's a turd. The guy acts like he’s the only person on the planet that makes a good knife and because he holds himself to such a high standard he runs into all these issues and just can’t believe it. He’s sorry everyone has to wait a year for a knife he has marked in stock. But he just couldn’t let it go out the door. Now those people get a different steel and a completely different knife.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:07:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MPi-KMS-72] [#22]
In a thread elsewhere Cody from Adventure Sworn said
"Survive Knives is basically a lightning rod for bad luck (with their decarbed batch of magnacut steel and other misc things."

That made me LOL.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By MPi-KMS-72:
In a thread elsewhere Cody from Adventure Sworn said
"Survive Knives is basically a lightning rod for bad luck (with their decarbed batch of magnacut steel and other misc things."

That made me LOL.
View Quote

The owner and business have a black piss cloud over their head for sure. But I think it’s a cloud of his own making.

I can’t stand to watch his videos. Does he still wear that Starbucks apron?
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#24]
They also had an “issue” with Norplex and their G10 saying there were voids in it and not up to their standards. I’ve worked with a lot of that G10 and have never seen a void.

When Magnacut first came out, there was issues with it warping but they figured out the tempering pretty quick to straighten. The owner just seems bad at business and constantly has new models and steels in play while not fulfilling orders.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Does he still wear that Starbucks apron?
View Quote

Funny you mentioned that

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Can’t take him serious with that on. He’s obviously a democrat. Lol
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I *almost* ordered one years ago, but there were smoke signals then warning me not to. I think the dude is just overwhelmed trying to scale up his business and wants to keep the bulk of the work to just himself and his wife. You can’t do that and accept all the orders that he has. In one recent video he mentions another employee though, so he must have at least one other employee. I do think he is truthful when he complains about issues with Magnacut and I’ve read several other makers talk about it online as well. A conversation with the owner of a large online knife business confirmed that. “It’s a mess right now!” I won’t mention their name but we’ve all ordered from them. He didn’t go into it much, just that there were production issues holding up sellable knives in that steel from a number of companies.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By konger:
I *almost* ordered one years ago, but there were smoke signals then warning me not to. I think the dude is just overwhelmed trying to scale up his business and wants to keep the bulk of the work to just himself and his wife. You can’t do that and accept all the orders that he has. In one recent video he mentions another employee though, so he must have at least one other employee. I do think he is truthful when he complains about issues with Magnacut and I’ve read several other makers talk about it online as well. A conversation with the owner of a large online knife business confirmed that. “It’s a mess right now!” I won’t mention their name but we’ve all ordered from them. He didn’t go into it much, just that there were production issues holding up sellable knives in that steel from a number of companies.
View Quote

Maybe if he wouldn’t have lied to people for so many years they would be more likely to give him a pass on the magnacut stuff.

Tough to rebuild a bridge when you constantly light it on fire yourself, blame other people. Then when a fire from another origin breaks out. No one care because the bridge is already a pile of ashes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Maybe if he wouldn’t have lied to people for so many years they would be more likely to give him a pass on the magnacut stuff.

Tough to rebuild a bridge when you constantly light it on fire yourself, blame other people. Then when a fire from another origin breaks out. No one care because the bridge is already a pile of ashes.
View All Quotes

We need a like button lol. Totally agree that much of this seems to be of his own making (misleading customers and not delivering orders). Throw in a dash of bad luck with materials and then supposedly heat treats and you have a disaster of a business. It’s all a shame too because his designs, in those steels and with the myriad of options available for handles makes his knives the most attractive product of that type on the market. I’ve spent a great deal of my BS down time lately researching a new knife purchase. IMHO nothing compares in either production or custom to what he’s putting out (when he actually delivers orders). Not at that price.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#30]

We need a like button lol. Totally agree that much of this seems to be of his own making (misleading customers and not delivering orders). Throw in a dash of bad luck with materials and then supposedly heat treats and you have a disaster of a business. It’s all a shame too because his designs, in those steels and with the myriad of options available for handles makes his knives the most attractive product of that type on the market. I’ve spent a great deal of my BS down time lately researching a new knife purchase. IMHO nothing compares in either production or custom to what he’s putting out (when he actually delivers orders). Not at that price.
View Quote

I agree. I have 4 of his knives, two of them are my favorite fixed blades. Great knives.

I think he should just make like three styles. Make a little knife, middle size knife, and a large knife. Don’t change the steel, don’t change the design, just make those same three knives while he fills those 10 year old outstanding orders.

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#31]
He used to be criticized for lack of communication and transparency but now he posts "updates" nonstop.

Early AM Reflections 2.5.2024

I don't think it's helping
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I use CPM steels every day in my knifemaking and have never had a problem with their steel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Is that a 4.1 or 4.7?

Looking at that g10 reminds me of a taste from my childhood. Remember those banana flavored Popsicles that were that same color? I practically smelled it when I saw the knife, lol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Production processes should be stable, producing consistent results, before taking customer orders for knives made with a new steel. Look at Bussee/Swamp Rat. Same steel for I don’t know how long?
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Kilroytheknifesnob:
Production processes should be stable, producing consistent results, before taking customer orders for knives made with a new steel. Look at Bussee/Swamp Rat. Same steel for I don’t know how long?
View Quote

Which is why I tested this new steel for over a year before offering it for my knives
It is very good steel
As is CPM 154 (probably the best all around stainless steel)
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Saw this thread, then ordered an "in stock" EDC 4 on 2/4/24.  Received 3/15/24.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top