Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2024 9:31:31 PM EDT
So my department just issued us new rifles, they are Daniel Defense Mk18 with 10" Barrel and HuxWurx 556k.  Shot a few hundred rounds through it this week, and it is my first introduction to a silencer.  While I know most will say it is not a "silent" silencer by any means , I am now interested in adding a silencer(s) to my home inventory.  I have several Ar-15s, all Colt, and several other rifles in the .308, 300WM that I would be interested adding a can too, or at least sharing a can.  

I have heard and seen that I can get a silencer that could actually be shared between all of these calibers.  If I was to get one (with maybe later getting it a brother or two), what would be something that would fit this bill?  I am interested in hearing from real users here, rather than listening to the people hawking wares on youtube and anywhere else.  If not a sharing thing, then what in .556/.223 and then .308/300WM?

I would be adding it to a trust, so I got that part, just looking for best options, and what works.  In advance, I appreciate any thoughts and posts.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Silencerco Omega 300 is a very popular option that would work for everything you listed.

SilencerCo has a good LEO discount program also.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I started my adventure into silencers with 30 cal cans that I used on 300blk and 5.56.
I was at a class and heard my first dedicated 5.56 can and that got expensive.
If I had to do it again I wouldn't change the way I went with it.
30 cal cans on 5.56 guns will have less back pressure but the tone will be different and slightly louder.
So far my favorite 5.56 can is the Griffin HRT556.
The dual lok system is fantastic IMO.
The 30 cal cans I have are all Form 1's so I have nothing commercial to compare them to but their damn quite with subs and that's all that matters to me.
I have a Huxwrx flow 556k that recently got approved and waiting for capitol armory to sent it, so looking forward to that.
Hope this gives a little insight anyway.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The best advice I can give is to manage expectations. Outside of .22 hosts, manual rifles (lever, bolt, etc.) shooting subs, and maybe a few 9mm semiauto platforms, suppressed guns are still generally loud enough that you should wear ear protection for anything firing more than a few rounds. At that point, splitting hairs over a few dBs isn’t as important in my eyes, and you can spend a lot of money chasing “quiet” when few (if any) caliber/host combinations can actually achieve anything close to it. If you spend much time on forums, you’ll see lots of claims of some combination being “stupid quiet” or “Hollywood quiet” when none of it truly is. Even a suppressed .22 meters around the same volume as a chainsaw.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By peachy:
The best advice I can give is to manage expectations. Outside of .22 hosts, manual rifles (lever, bolt, etc.) shooting subs, and maybe a few 9mm semiauto platforms, suppressed guns are still generally loud enough that you should wear ear protection for anything firing more than a few rounds. At that point, splitting hairs over a few dBs isn't as important in my eyes, and you can spend a lot of money chasing "quiet" when few (if any) caliber/host combinations can actually achieve anything close to it. If you spend much time on forums, you'll see lots of claims of some combination being "stupid quiet" or "Hollywood quiet" when none of it truly is. Even a suppressed .22 meters around the same volume as a chainsaw.
View Quote
Thanks for that, it needed to be said.  I understand expectations on sound, and know I will never have a "quiet rifle", as supersonic rounds will always have the sounds associated.  Pistol may be a bit different, but rifle, I just want to not wear double hearing protection, as I always do now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 4:58:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: terryj] [#6]
Just throwing this out there. Capitol Armory has "Purchase a SilencerCo Hybrid 46M or CGS Helios QD Ti and you can get a SilencerCo Warlock for free!"

The Hybrid 46M seems like a jack of all trades except for 22.

https://www.capitolarmory.com/buy-one-get-one-sale
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
With some of todays cans you really arent sacrificing much to use a 30 cal on .223. The Griffin Explorr is smaller than dedicated .223 cans of 10 years ago and probably as quiet. I have dedicated .223 cans but my explorr 300 sounds good enough that you cant tell a difference in actually using it. I have an old Sico 30 cal can that is like a brick. Stay away from heavy cans.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By coyotesilencer:
Silencerco Omega 300 is a very popular option that would work for everything you listed.

SilencerCo has a good LEO discount program also.
View Quote

The Chimera 300 uses the same baffle design, has zero barrel restrictions and you can cook bacon on it after 500 rds thru a belt fed. Oh and they're on GB for like $725.

They do weigh a bit more tho
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By terryj:
Just throwing this out there. Capitol Armory has "Purchase a SilencerCo Hybrid 46M or CGS Helios QD Ti and you can get a SilencerCo Warlock for free!"

The Hybrid 46M seems like a jack of all trades except for 22.

https://www.capitolarmory.com/buy-one-get-one-sale
View Quote

I have a 46M and its basically gonna end up as a dedicated 45-70 / 458 SOCOM can now that I filled the stable with the rest of my stuff. Its a fun gateway drug though. As a pistol can it sucked on blowback, weight and adaptor cost.

OP, consider getting the following:
SiCo Omega 300
SiCo Omega 45K
SiCo Switchback 22LR

Those three would get it done in my opinion and set you back maybe $2k after stamps and transfer fees.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a .22 can first. The SiCo Switchback is an amazing can. I own one and love it
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Griffin has a discount for LEOs as well.  You can also purchase direct from them and the can is shipped directly to your house via Capitol Armory.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/promotions/griffin-general-issue/

I'm a huge fan of their Explorr cans.  I'd also recommend a dedicated 5.56 version and a dedicated 30 cal can as well.   But the Explorr 300 does work well as a 5.56 can without a lot of extra weight and size that usually comes with using a 30 cal can for 5.56.  The Explorr sounds great too and has relatively low back pressure with the Ecco Flow baffles.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Hux has a law enforcement program on expert voice if you sign up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BillyDBerger:
Hux has a law enforcement program on expert voice if you sign up.
View Quote
Are they in stock there?
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 5:45:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BladedRonin] [#14]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
Are they in stock there?
View Quote

Capital had them listed on the SPEQ sheet yesterday in stock.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Are they in stock there?
View Quote

Not showing any silencers in stock for HUXWRX on EV right now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#16]
OP,

You can run 5.56 through a .30 cal can just fine.      I  have 10 silencers and still haven't bought one for 5.56, I use a .30 cal on 5.56.

I have a Rex Silentium MG7, a YHM Resonator R2 and a Diligent Defense Enticer L.    The Enticer is the quietest, the R2 is real close, the MG7 is a short K can, but does pretty well, especially on .300 BLK subs..
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 12:13:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Great information everyone.  Thank you very much for all the details.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 7:32:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BULLDAWG_556] [#18]
My 1st can was a Dead Air Sandman S. I added a 5.56 flashhider and cap. Love this can, especially on a MK18. All was well for about 4 months, then I got tired of musical cans, and looked for a second can.

Then I got a Gemtech Trek II, put it on a MK18 With a .059 BRT gas tube. Great can for a direct thread. Is very quiet on the MK18.

Then I got a OCL Polonium K with Key-mo hub. It is being Cerakoted coyote tan, along with a Geissele Super Duty as we speak.

My point is one and only one, get a 30 cal can. But, you will probably end up with more....
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks to everyone who gave input.  On several posters' advice, I just pulled the trigger on an Omega 300.  I set up the trust, and now its just the waiting period.  I expect it will have some brothers and sisters sooner than later.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Are they in stock there?
View Quote

If you can get hux stuff on EV, expect to wait. They're slammed like everyone else.

They do seem to be really good about restocking somewhat quickly. I'm not 100% sure how much of their rations go to EV.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Mesooohoppy:

If you can get hux stuff on EV, expect to wait. They're slammed like everyone else.

They do seem to be really good about restocking somewhat quickly. I'm not 100% sure how much of their rations go to EV.
View Quote
Yeah, it was a rhetorical question. They’ve been OOS there for some time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#22]
You can find most new production cans on GB. You'll have to pay a transfer fee, but they're out there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I’d encourage you to

1) get a silencershop account
2) get an ATF forms account set up

Silencershop keeps your fingerprints on file infinitely so it makes buying future cans much easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top