Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2024 9:03:06 PM EDT
Interesting that Canada and NZ are no longer a part of this... But, hey, it's about time...  ITAR to the UK and Australia is like making us all fight with one arm tied behind our back, and has resulted in the chinese proliferation of NODS, NADS and other technology to the unfriendly world!

https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2024/08/us-uk-australia-announce-reforms-streamline-industrial-cooperation/398852/

So the next question ( which can't be answered yet ) - will the exemptions cover image tubes, NODS, NV Mounts, lenses and >1mW NADS? (NADS are legal in Australia for civilian use on firearms).

I am watching this carefully... I know I get asked from time to time about the PVS-14 models I made 10 years ago, and they print up nicely on the current generation of 3D printers... I'm really curious as to how this will go and whether it will extend to intangible items like 3D print files.

Anyone know of draft legislation or timelines?

It would be nice to be able to use FLIR camera modules on current projects without going through a bucket of paperwork!

It was ITAR that got me out of trying to make NV technology in the end. I had lots of support from Defence, and they never charged me a cent for all the paperwork they processed for me, but in the end, it just made a mountain out of every small thing I wanted to send to the US.

David.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 7:00:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: voodochild] [#1]
@TNVC_Will can you or anyone from TNVC elaborate on this?
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
That is sounding very like an extension of the generic export licenses they had before... Those were somewhat useful but so badly constrained as to be ineffective for purpose.

This is looking like the article has grossly overstated the objectives and capabilities - Either the same records need to be retained at the same level, or the system will fail due to a lack of clarity around controlled item tracking.

To describe an issue with the GEL arrangement, I could only send items back to a manufacturer *after* they were destroyed - eg, I get a wrong part, I send it back, but I have to destroy it first - There was no provision under the GEL arrangement to export (return to manufacturer) any working components - only non-working components. That came around because the original legislators never stopped to question why you might return anything to anyone if it wasn't broken - so things like refurb or performing under specification were not valid reasons. I held a GEL for returning controlled items to the manufacturer, only to find it was completely worthless for returning controlled items.

It sounds then like this arrangement only improves slightly on that situation by not requiring individual export licenses for every transaction.

Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Very much appreciated - Thank you
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 3:31:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GroundhogOZ] [#6]
David, a lot has changed in that time.  Depending on the piece, you may simply need to sign an EUA.  Also keep in mind we live in a "no emissions" world, certainly when considering peer to peer/near peer scenarios.  Multi sensor and integrated/simultaneous targeting solutions are a different matter.

Another point, the ADF are very, very uncommercial and this has real consequences if you're thinking of becoming a "contractor".
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the thoughts GroundhogOz - I never really had much problem getting what I needed, but the requirements for paperwork on exports made small products impractical to manufacture and send out. I get this change seems aligned around helping on the imports side, but I would have liked to see the export requirements for "To the US" relaxed also, which does not seem to be the case :(
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top