Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2024 2:40:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dnercesian]
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting.  I say we just go back to buying guns at the hardware store without any kind of government involvement.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:09:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#2]
Most need to stop thinking of the UPIN as a permanent solution, because it’s not. It should be considered a quick, temporary, bandaid fix. It lets them retain a file with information needed for a human to make a determination. It still has to go before that human, like all delays, the info is just compiled in a file and that determination can be made right then. Instead of you continuing to wait while that information is requested from courts/arresting agency/reporting agency, and hopefully received. Chances are you still get delayed with your UPIN, you’re just less likely to end up stuck in never ending delay, or your NFA application disapproved for open background check.

The permanent, long term, and much slower fix is getting the issues fixed that causes your delays initially, so it won’t need to go before a human and create that delay to begin with. It will likely include requesting your IdHS and fixing any incorrect/incomplete/outdated information that’s in it.

I’m pretty sure UPINs haven’t taken a year for sometime now. Mine was done electronically a couple years back, it took 4 days, 2 of those days was Sat/Sun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Glocked:
Most need to stop thinking of the UPIN as a permanent solution, because it’s not. It should be considered a quick, temporary, bandaid fix. It lets them retain a file with information needed for a human to make a determination. It still has to go before that human, like all delays, the info is just compiled in a file and that determination can be made right then. Instead of you continuing to wait while that information is requested from courts/arresting agency/reporting agency, and hopefully received. Chances are you still get delayed with your UPIN, you’re just less likely to end up stuck in never ending delay, or your NFA application disapproved for open background check.

The permanent, long term, and much slower fix is getting the issues fixed that causes your delays initially, so it won’t need to go before a human and create that delay to begin with. It will likely include requesting your IdHS and fixing any incorrect/incomplete/outdated information that’s in it.

I’m pretty sure UPINs haven’t taken a year for sometime now. Mine was done electronically a couple years back, it took 4 days, 2 of those days was Sat/Sun.
View Quote

Spot on.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for posting that OP.  Have a lot of Hispanic clients that get delayed b/c of the small pool of Hispanic names.

My advice is usually to get a Texas LTC, but if I get into dealing cans, that won't be much help.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#5]
Originally Posted By dnercesian:
..... What does NICS stand for? National INSTANT Criminal Background Check System. Sounds reasonable enough, right? I mean, it is INSTANT, or is it?
View Quote

You are under the misconception that "INSTANT" means instant approval.....it does not and never has.
I've run thousands of FBI NICS checks in the last fifteen years. Every single one, whether by phone or NICS eCheck resulted in an immediate Proceed, Delayed or Denied status. It replaced a system that required a five day waiting period while local LE ran your background check.

What the ATF does, however, is sit on these applications which could honestly be processed instantly in your local gun store like any other NICS check.
View Quote

No sir. Federal law requires ATF to submit background checks for NFA form applicants and receive a positive response from FBI NICS. NFA transfers are not subject to the Brady Law, so there is no delay period.

Further, you mention "the 3 day rule".........no such rule and its not three days. It is "three business days beginning the next business day and does not include weekends, holidays or days that state offices are closed". Meaning your "3 day rule" could be a week. It has nothing to do with NFA transfers anyway.

When they get around to your application finally, all they are really doing is submitting it to the FBI for a NICS check
View Quote

Well no shit. That ain't a secret and the reason for the recent rapid processing is due in part to eForms (which makes the transferee and transferor the data entry clerk) and the change in FBI procedures in late February.

, again, like your local gun store does all day long. This process, as we all know, is solely about obstructing your rights, and we've all known that for years.
View Quote

If you are blaming ATF and the FBI your anger is misplaced. Congress wrote these laws.

For sure, every FFL/SOT would be delighted if we could run that NICS check ourselves, but Congress is too busy infighting to let that happen.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#7]

I never said it meant "instant approval" and am not sure where you got that from.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I never said it meant "instant approval" and am not sure where you got that from.

Well, you were ranting about INSTANT.....as in "I mean, it is INSTANT, or is it?..."

I think you are missing my point here. By going with some type of "instant" response system that replaces a more cumbersome 5 day wait, the idea is to streamline the process of getting an answer, whether it is a proceed or deny.

For sure.

The delay, on the other hand, has its purpose as well, and is understandable in certain situations. The point however, is that when you are given a UPIN, it means an investigation has taken place to resolve whatever issue is causing the delay, whether it is an identifying issue or a legal issue that is not clearly distinguishable in its details to the NICS system. Once the UPIN explains the discrepancy, it should be corrected in the NICS system in a manner that clears the discrepancy and otherwise allows the instant proceed or deny response based on factors that no longer need to address the discrepancy associated with the issued UPIN.

Getting a UPIN doesn't mean that anything was resolved, it means you gave FBI NICS permission to keep your records open.
I Have Been Denied a Firearm Multiple Times or Experience Delays – What Should I Do?
".......designed for firearm purchasers who believe they are legally allowed to buy firearms, but they have been denied more than once or frequently experience delays in their transactions. Purchasers sometimes find themselves experiencing delays or denials in firearms purchases because of a past misdemeanor charge or because an ineligible person has a similar name.

When you apply for the VAF, FBI personnel will research your case and assign you a Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN) if you have no firearms prohibitions. For future firearms transactions, you will provide your UPIN for your background check. You will still have to undergo a complete background check to buy a firearm, but the UPIN will help to confirm your identity.......".

Having the UPIN doesn't mean immediate proceed. It doesn't resolve previous issues....it means the FBI doesn't start over from scratch when researching your name and descriptive information.

Otherwise, the UPIN only exists to alleviate an indefinite delay, which would not be a constitutionally defensible situation to begin with.

True on both counts.

I think you didn't read clearly what I wrote. I am well aware that the Brady Law does not apply to NFA items. I explained that clearly in my post. I placed this UPIN related post in the NFA section specifically because the subject matter only really interferes with NFA purchases because they are not subject to Brady.

I read it and fully understood what you wrote. Thats the point, you weren't accurate.

I said "3 working days" but thank you for making the "three business days" distinction, because without that I can't imagine anyone understanding the context of the message. Seriously man, parsing words like that just to say "I'm right and you're wrong" is kind of pedantic. And again, I made it clear that this Brady law didn't apply to the NFA, which was literally one of the points of my post. Further, I was saying that, in the past, ATF did not submit NICS checks on NFA applications immediately as they do now, even with the eforms system. It took much longer for your application to get in front of an examiner, and by then the application had just been sitting for months. Today it is different. They are submitting the eforms applications to NICS almost right away, and NICS is, for the most part, sending them back very quickly.

It really just seems like you are looking for an argument,

Nope.......CLARITY. Your post needed it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dnercesian:The delay, on the other hand, has its purpose as well, and is understandable in certain situations. The point however, is that when you are given a UPIN, it means an investigation has taken place to resolve whatever issue is causing the delay, whether it is an identifying issue or a legal issue that is not clearly distinguishable in its details to the NICS system. Once the UPIN explains the discrepancy, it should be corrected in the NICS system in a manner that clears the discrepancy and otherwise allows the instant proceed or deny response based on factors that no longer need to address the discrepancy associated with the issued UPIN.
View Quote

Even with the UPIN. A complete BGC must be performed. So, you still get delayed for the same incorrect/incomplete/outdated reason when NICS does their thing.

Your record can’t be corrected by NICS or the FBI because they don’t own the information in it. That information is owned by arresting agencies and the courts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 7:58:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#10]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Gentlemen, we're in Tech.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:51:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#13]
Originally Posted By GlockPride:
Thanks for posting.  I say we just go back to buying guns at the hardware store without any kind of government involvement.
View Quote

I say we just go back to buying guns & ammo from a catalog & the postman can leave it at my door without any kind of government involvement.

Thank You O.P. for your post & thanks to DogtownTom for his experience & insight

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:57:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#14]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

I say we just go back to buying guns & ammo from a catalog & the postman can leave it at my door without any kind of government involvement.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Would be awesome.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:02:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#16]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top