Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2024 11:40:54 AM EDT
Anyone know of an inexpensive thermal security cam? Cheapest I have found is $1100. Doesn't have to be high thermal. 284 or even less would work. Just need it for my back yard. Already have a trail cam in back but isn't as good as I need it. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
What's wrong with IR?
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
My trail cam has IR but not the greatest. Need a wide area night vision. Live out in the country and back yard has some woods. But if there is a good IR one out, could consider it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 3:26:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#3]
You can add lights, if that's the only issue.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ir+security+light&crid=2OAHWEF40L5ER&sprefix=ir+security+light%2Caps%2C114&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

ETA: Thermal would obviously be better in the woods.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ske714:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ir+security+light&crid=2OAHWEF40L5ER&sprefix=ir+security+light%2Caps%2C114&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

View Quote

That could be an option. Going to look at new trail cams 1st to see what has change lately. Mine is about 8 years old. Thanks for the replies folks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ske714:

View Quote

I would suggest remote IR lights.

Thermal can be beat with really anything to run interference: leaves/foliage or even a bed sheet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]

I have this Dahua camera on the back side of my house. At the time it was around $700. Resolution is low and I would not recommend it for the price. Not sure what the current best POE thermal is.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:35:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#7]
Went ahead and ordered a IR light that should cover my entire back yard. After seeing my trail cam take a picture which flashed the IR, my indoor cam was able to see the flash of the area. Will plug it in outside my garage and point toward the back yard. Will see how well this works.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Another option may be the most affordable Thermal hand scanner that has a 1/4x20 mount and does wifi and an app. My old AGM Micro 384 did that - you could mount it outside hooked to external power, and stream the image inside. You could mount it to a BESCOR Panning Motor and cover a wide area. Just another idea for you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
Another option may be the most affordable Thermal hand scanner that has a 1/4x20 mount and does wifi and an app. My old AGM Micro 384 did that - you could mount it outside hooked to external power, and stream the image inside. You could mount it to a BESCOR Panning Motor and cover a wide area. Just another idea for you.
View Quote

That’s a good idea. Picked up a AGM 384 handheld so I could mount my Bering optics Hogster vibe 35mm. Just received the IR light so will try that first. Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Thermal POE cameras are not cheap. Back during the days of covid a vendor gave us one for a POC and when we were done using it I brought it home. It's dual 4K / Thermal and I think the MSRP on that thing was like $15K
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Tried out my IR light last night. Works better than I thought. Entire back yard is lit up. Would be hesitant to put my thermal monocular out there. Someone sees it would steal it in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Tried out my IR light last night. Works better than I thought. Entire back yard is lit up. Would be hesitant to put my thermal monocular out there. Someone sees it would steal it in a heart beat.
View Quote

I love a happy ending.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Cheapest thermal cameras cost around $200, BTW, for 256x192.

They are pretty good, but you need to know what you want. CVBS output. They make them for small drones. They would be very very easy to conceal, so it's unlikely anyone would notice them. About 2/3" x 2/3" in size.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
View Quote

Please post a pic.  Very interested in this.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Will post a pic tomorrow. Can’t do it from my phone
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top