Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/24/2024 4:39:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer]
Colt M16s used to sell for about the same price as low-end WWII Thompsons.  They were neck and neck for a long time.

But there is about a 25% price spread now.  M16s have jumped ahead.

These are bargains:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1043873643

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1056361239

By "low-end Thompsons", I mean WWII guns that have been arsenal refinished and so forth, thus not drawing the high-end gun collector dollars.  

Just the same as the way that a pristine WWII 1911 might sell for $10,000, but a nice re-arsenaled 1911 might only be $1,000.

Thompsons are a VERY agreeable gun to to collect and shoot.  

Anyone who tells you they kick hard, have lots of muzzle climb, etc, is someone whose entire knowledge base comes from other people on the internet who never shot one.

Also, I always wondered why the Garand is the best rifle on earth at 11 lbs, but the Thompson will tear your arms out of the sockets at 11 lbs.  

The Thompson is amazingly reliable, it has basically a feed ramp that consists of a huge solid billet funnel, it will even feed empty cases.

The only negative is that the LOP is kind of long, so if you are really short, you might struggle.  It seems perfect to me.

IF YOU ARE IN THE MARKET FOR AN MG, YOU SHOULD BUY A THOMPSON BEFORE THEY MAKE ANOTHER THOMPSON-Y GANGSTER OR WWII MOVIE AND THE PRICES JUMP BACK UP.

Most newbies opt for the 1921 and 1928 models, but technically the M1 and M1A1 models are a "product improvement" in terms of function.

Sometimes people say that Thompsons are a "one trick pony", but that is true for 98% of MGs.  

NO, I AM NOT SELLING MINE. I'm just giving my fellow MG owners a word to the wise.

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
And they're ideal for home defense.

https://vimeo.com/659063541
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:46:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#2]
I forgot to mention:

All of the "real" Thompsons were made by Colt, Savage and Auto Ordnance prior to 1945.

Numrich pieced together some from WWII parts and receivers after the war, they are also GTG.

In the 1970s, about 1,500 mediocre knock offs were made and they all say "WEST HURLEY" on the side.  

The "westies" can make for decent shooters after a judicious part swapping with USGI internals, but make sure you see it run before you buy it.

Thompsons are unusually reliable guns, if they don't run 110%, then something is bent or broken.  Which is rare, because they are made from 11 lbs of billet steel.  They're Garand-like in their indestructibility.

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Such a good buy no one bid on them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#4]
For what they are, you’re right that the prices are reasonable when compared to other historicals. I’m not the fan you are and I have personal experience. When you put a drum in one, they are heavy. Is that a deal killer? No. But I have more fun with an MP5 and an M16. Just more enjoyable shooting to me. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree that Thompson's are a good deal right now. However, they appeal to a specific buyer.

Personally, they are not the greatest nor most pleasant MG to use. You could probably get an equal experience with an M50 Reising or M2 carbine for a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
For what they are, you’re right that the prices are reasonable when compared to other historicals. I’m not the fan you are and I have personal experience. When you put a drum in one, they are heavy. Is that a deal killer? No. But I have more fun with an MP5 and an M16. Just more enjoyable shooting to me. YMMV
View Quote

I'm a Thompson fan and I have an interest in them, both from a shooting and historical standpoint.

I see that the prices are in a sag relative to other MGs in their class, so I thought I'd give my pals here a head's up on it.

The purpose of the thread is not to compare them to other options.  That would be like trying to convince someone that chocolate ice cream is better than strawberry.  People like what they like.

On the other hand, they are in the very apex of gun collecting with other guns like the M16.   I'm not reporting that 1987 Dodge Aries are a bargain.

Also, I noted that there is some negative chatter on gun boards about the Thompson, which is just internet blargh.   For example, the free recoil energy is about 1.7 ft-lbs.  Which gives you a rough idea of how hard a gun kicks.   An AR15 shooting a 223 has a FRE of about 5.0 ft-lbs.  So when someone on reddit or whatever says Thompsons "kick like a mule," feel free to snicker.

They are an agreeable gun to shoot and are exceedingly reliable, industrial art sculpted from solid billet.

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:45:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#7]
Originally Posted By Flevvy:
I agree that Thompson's are a good deal right now. However, they appeal to a specific buyer.

Personally, they are not the greatest nor most pleasant MG to use. You could probably get an equal experience with an M50 Reising or M2 carbine for a fraction of the cost.
View Quote

But regardless of what you or I personally like, it's objectively true that Thompsons are an "apex predator" in gun collecting.  

Gun collecting values are based on a bunch of properties.  Like rarity, iconic mechanical design, build quality, association with a colorful person or historical event.  Etc.

In that respect Thompsons are a bell-ringer, as an iconic submachine gun design that was used in WWII, Korea and Vietnam by US troops.  Plus the colorful gangster/FBI wars of the 1920s and 1930s.  That is plenty to boost a gun to the apex of collecting.    

Reisings are cool guns, but they are not in the same collector class.  M1 Carbines are a top-end collectable, but M2 Carbines do not seem to light up the brain cells of collectors.  It's kind of strange.

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:54:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#8]
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
Such a good buy no one bid on them.
View Quote

If Hollywood churns out a movie that has a lot of Thompsons in it, as they love to do, your remark may possibly age like the finest Corinthian buttermilk, lovingly aged in a hothouse in New Orleans in August.

Joking aside, this is Thompsons we are talking about.  The rising tide lifts all boats, but they go up in jerks.   That's the point of the thread.

Scoff all you like, it's a free country, but a nice pre-45 Thompson might make you happier down the road.

I've been trying to make a 45 reload that makes a giant muzzle flash, but the slow powders spray you with unburned grains.  45 doesn't like slowness.

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 7:56:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Had they or the Reisings been chambered in 9mm , I would probably have owned one by now.  I would rather have an M-10 in 9mm because it is a 9mm.  I have a peculiar hatred of the .45 AARP.  No offense to those enamored by it, it’s just another chick with a mediocre to flat rack in my eyes.  In this case for me, bigger isn’t better, LOL!
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sleestakwhisperer:
I forgot to mention:

All of the "real" Thompsons were made by Colt, Savage and Auto Ordnance prior to 1945.

Numrich pieced together some from WWII parts and receivers after the war, they are also GTG.

In the 1970s, about 1,500 mediocre knock offs were made and they all say "WEST HURLEY" on the side.  

The "westies" can make for decent shooters after a judicious part swapping with USGI internals, but make sure you see it run before you buy it.

Thompsons are unusually reliable guns, if they don't run 110%, then something is bent or broken.  Which is rare, because they are made from 11 lbs of billet steel.  They're Garand-like in their indestructibility.
View Quote

M1928A1 - Savage
M1 - Auto Ordnance
M1A1 - Savage

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 7:57:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spartikis] [#12]
If you look around you can find a better deal than those. Midwest tactical (Frank) usually sells them in the mid or even low 20s.

If you are looking for a bargain MG have a look at the reising. Those can be had for as little as $8k if you look around. Probably the cheapest MG on the market right now
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I appreciate the heads-up. If I ever get another MG, it'll probably be between a Thompson (M1A1 preferably) and an M16. Very different choices, I know.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:52:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OHBuckeyes] [#14]
If you are looking to get your first subgun, get an M11/9 not a Thompson. Significantly cheaper, significantly more versatile, significantly cheaper ammo, and with the right upgrade shoots significantly better. The only thing the Thompson has is a cooler history.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:03:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#15]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:
If you look around you can find a better deal than those. Midwest tactical (Frank) usually sells them in the mid or even low 20s.

If you are looking for a bargain MG have a look at the reising. Those can be had for as little as $8k if you look around. Probably the cheapest MG on the market right now
View Quote

Thompsons are not a budget MG.  They are expensive AF.  I should have used another word to denote that Thompson prices are in a slump right now.  I should have said that Thompsons are "slumpy" right now instead of a "bargain."

West Hurley Thompsons sell in the low $20s.   They are retail-hobby-market knockoffs that were made by Numrich in the 1970s, literally without blueprints, just reverse-engineered by small machine shops.

"Real" Thompsons were made on a large military/industrial basis between 1921 and 1945, and they are selling from $30K to $100K+, depending.

West Hurleys are marked "WEST HURLEY", and they can make good "shooters", but they suffer from dimensional problems and the receivers are made from leaded steel.

Here's a blinged-out westie that sold on GB for $21k:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1052764672

And here is a WWII M1 that is for sale by Midwest Tactical for $32k:

https://gunspot.com/listings/detail/39533/cr-amnesty-registered-bridgeport-m1-thompson-machine-gun/

This M1 is a refinished and mismatched gun, so the collector value is reduced.  It's an "entry level" grade gun.

Here is a 1921 Colt Thompsons for sale by Midwest for $52k:

https://gunspot.com/listings/detail/39744/very-low-serialized-colt-1921-thompson-machine-gun/

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dakota_Don:
Had they or the Reisings been chambered in 9mm , I would probably have owned one by now.  I would rather have an M-10 in 9mm because it is a 9mm.  I have a peculiar hatred of the .45 AARP.  No offense to those enamored by it, it’s just another chick with a mediocre to flat rack in my eyes.  In this case for me, bigger isn’t better, LOL!
View Quote

Found the dirty commie
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I've always wondered what thompson re-sprung for 460 rowland would be like. 1500 ftlbs....800 rpm....
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:24:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#18]

Not quite.

Colt made the original batch of 1921 and 1928 models in the 1920s.

When WWII started, Auto Ordnance Corp contracted with Savage to take the tooling from Colt and resume 1928 model production.

A short while later, Auto Ordnance opened another plant in Bridgeport to also make the 1928 model, due to the huge wartime orders coming in.

The 1921/1928 model is actually a very complicated gun, so Savage Arms developed a simplified model that stripped all the bling bling out of it, including the delayed blowback (blish) system.  It was called the M1 and the prototype was made in February 1942.  

The M1 was 1/4 as expensive to make as the 1928 and worked better when dirty, so it was adopted by the US military and manufactured in huge numbers by both Savage and AO Bridgeport.  

A few more tweaks were made, resulting in the M1A1 model.

Production ended in 1944 in favor of the M3 grease gun, and the Thompson became an alternate standard (or whatever they call it) and finally retired in 1971.

Numrich Gun Parts corp aquired the AO name and a fuckload of parts in the 1950s, and assembled a few Thompsons from WWII parts.  

Later in the 1970s, they made about 1,500 nice-looking but mediocre FA knock-offs, which have WEST HURLEY NY on the side.

The Thompson saw a ton of use in Korea and also a surprising amount of use in Vietnam, because we supplied the South Vietnamese army with WWII weapons and there was a shitload of them everywhere, even used frequently by the NVA.

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fast_fairlane:

Found the dirty commie
View Quote

Someone definitely needs a beat-down.  

Maybe Joey Potato can give him an ass-whipping like he did to Corn Pop.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#20]
Originally Posted By OHBuckeyes:
If you are looking to get your first subgun, get an M11/9 not a Thompson. Significantly cheaper, significantly more versatile, significantly cheaper ammo, and with the right upgrade shoots significantly better. The only thing the Thompson has is a cooler history.
View Quote

This thread wasn't supposed to suggest that Thompsons are a good entry-level MG.  They're not, they're expensive.  

I was just pointing out that the prices are slumpy-ish relative to M16s.  Entry-level Thompsons used to more or less track with Colt M16 prices, but they have slumped a little.

Does that mean that they are a "bargain" right now?  Well, it would seem so to me.

I'm going to agree with you that being carried by Marines on Iwo Jima makes a gun have a slightly "cooler history" than the M11/9.

Although, Wayne Daniels (who made the M11/9) was a truly epic guy.   He took out an ad in Shotgun News calling out individual ATF agents as "nazis" and they sued him.

One of Wayne's partners in SWD was convicted of trying to bribe a prosecutor to get him to drop a drug charge. Two of his other partners were caught smuggling two tons of marijuana into Florida.

Eventually Wayne got arrested on 12 counts of selling illegal suppressors for machine guns.

Fun fact:  SWD doesn't stand for "Silvia and Wayne Daniels", it stands for Silvia W. Daniels.

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I've always wondered what thompson re-sprung for 460 rowland would be like. 1500 ftlbs....800 rpm....
View Quote

Auto Ordnance actually pushed for a more powerful cartridge, the .45 Remington-Thompson, a 250-grain projectile at 1,450 feet per second.

Didn't get adopted by anyone.

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Although, Wayne Daniels (who made the M11/9) was a truly epic guy.   He took out an ad in Shotgun News calling out individual ATF agents as "nazis" and they sued him.
View Quote

Got a link to that? Never heard that part and google results are quite sparse.

To keep it on topic, I got the best deal ever on a Thompson so I’m just never going to look for another one. Former lend-lease turned postie M1A1 for $1200. Like hitting the bullseye with your first round, might as well pack it up since it can’t get any better
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#23]
1998 I found a really nice 1928 Thompson for sale.  I thought $9000 was a rediculous price...  
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Auto Ordnance actually pushed for a more powerful cartridge, the .45 Remington-Thompson, a 250-grain projectile at 1,450 feet per second.

https://topwar.ru/uploads/posts/2012-07/1343185962_usa_pr_japan_224.734efi0l9oo44s0g0wkg40c4s.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpeg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://topwar.ru/uploads/posts/2012-07/1343185962_usa_pr_japan_224.734efi0l9oo44s0g0wkg40c4s.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpeg

I had not heard of that. Any links for good reading?
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Ah. 250 grains at 1450 out of a 14" barrel.

255 rowland out of a 5" barrel is 1350.

I'd say they are *roughly* equivalent.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Following
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By peachy:
I appreciate the heads-up. If I ever get another MG, it'll probably be between a Thompson (M1A1 preferably) and an M16. Very different choices, I know.
View Quote

I recently bought an M16 clone for almost $30k.  

I wasn't really burning with desire to get it, but I figure these current prices are the end of the road for me buying MGs.  

If they go any higher, I can't see myself paying for one.  I'm doing OK financially, but there's a limit.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Gloftoe:
Vector Uzis are 18K now?!  RDIASs are in the 40s?!  holy smokes.
View Quote

Just a part of the aftershock from Brandon-omics.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

When I bought my UZI, it cost 32% of what I paid for my 1928 model Thompson, around the same time.

If I sold both right now, the UZI would go for about 57% of what the Thompson would go for.

Thompsons have been lagging behind the other top-tier MGs in price inflation.  This is why I posted the thread.

The reason for the slump could be that Boomers are tottering off to retirement homes and graveyards, and all their collector items are starting to flood the market.   Boomers worship WWII guns and they were rabid collectors of them.

The old Boomers are really starting to die off.  34% of Boomers have died and 5,800 die every day.  

This is totally spitballing on my part, who knows?

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By stretch415:
Following
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#32]
One of the things you'll run across in your quest for a Thompson is a whole bunch of the 1970s West Hurleys for sale.   WHs are ALWAYS up for sale everywhere and they often are unfired or in mint condition.   And they look beautiful.

If you can find one that runs good, they are fine.  But beware.

This is from an ad for a WH:  

Taking the gun apart, this is the tightest Thompson I have ever handled. It took a lot of work to get the trigger housing off the main receiver of the gun.  The rails to the frame fit are NICE and tight, there is very little metal to metal wear inside the firearm or contact marks in the gun, which you can see from the pictures. If I had to guess the previous owner of this gun, kept this as a "Safe Queen" and shot may be 50 rounds through gun if that.

It's not a good thing that the trigger housing is so tight.  It will slide right off the receiver of a pre 1945 gun, including the original Colt guns, which were handcrafted like a custom-shop gun.  The reason that the trigger housing is binding on the WH is because of bad machining.  

And the 50 rounds total through the gun are also not necessarily a good thing.  That could be the point where the original owner gave up on it.

And I'm not worried about crabbing the guy's sale, some newbie will grab the gun out of his hands with glee.   Ruben usually has a half dozen WHs for sale at any given time and they sell like the proverbial hotcakes.

If you go the WH route, see it run first.  

BONUS: here's a thread full of savvy collectors yanking their meat over a blinged-up commemorative:

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/d1atos/picked_up_a_ww2_commemorative_tommy_gun_1_of_300/

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#33]

I recently bought an M16 clone for almost $30k.  

I wasn't really burning with desire to get it, but I figure these current prices are the end of the road for me buying MGs.  

If they go any higher, I can't see myself paying for one.  I'm doing OK financially, but there's a limit.  

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh_Q5zmi5ne-kYmSFlFnLLnDV5hjIRHNMkcE8SlpzE1QZB8bVxDob83RJrdOlZoziMqI1OZ5ZXKjmpSEihFAHsk_zBsARXsRG5HoRO7MRR97oC7MmByEtu1U0UYrGr891AJ39TR8KIkmZXh/w290-h400/a87046fb586747880f7a299654496c81.jpg

That is kind of where I'm at. I like my MGs, but they are so expensive now. Just not sure I'd get as much happiness out of that as I might retiring some period of time sooner.

I sort of want an M16 just because it is arguably the best service rifle ever made, but it's sort of a head-wants not heart-wants. The reality is I don't shoot the ARs I have nearly as much as I do pistols or SMGs, and none of the AR/M16 SMG uppers seem to work all that great. In 5.56 form, ARs/M16s get hot fast; they're loud; can't really shoot steel up close. Just not as much fun in my book. I can scratch the itch sufficiently for my interest level with a Lage Max-15.

Even though a TSMG would just be adding another SMG to my collection, I still think I'd get more use and joy out of it. Always thought the M1A1 was the coolest WW2 gun when I was growing up and watching war movies.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 4:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#34]

View Quote

Personally, I would not put retirement money into MGs or any collectable.  There's not enough diversification for me.  

But as far as spending "fun money" goes, you could do a whole lot worse.

A. My wife and youngest daughter worship Disney World, so I just recently smoked $20k on a long trip there.  

B. I just bought an M16.

C. My wife wants a $75,000 SUV.  Because our neighbors bought one and it's pretty looking.

One of those three options is a decent store of value, technically categorized as an inflation hedge.  The other two aren't.  At all.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I really like looking at the Thompson. They are absolutely beautiful.

I HATE shooting them. A Mac10/45 is a better mannered gun. The Thompson just doesn't fit me, feels awkward and just in general misbehaves. Lots of muzzle rise that I didn't expect, awkward to hold with the angled foregrip.

They were hyped a LOT just like the MP5 which I also hate. My M10/45 is a better/easier gun for me to shoot. Of all the sub guns I've shot I think I wanted to like the Thompson the most and was the most disappointed.

I would love to have one to just look at. They are beautiful. Just don't like shooting them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had one Thompson or another almost all the time since 2004 (prior to late December, 2005 Michigan only permitted civilian ownership of Curio & Relic machine guns), and one M16 or another almost all the time since 2006.  The M16 is far more versatile, hence to me and probably most buyers, generally worth more.  There's about 11,700 transferrable Thompsons and about 50,000 transferrable M16s (including about 10,000 RDIASs).  So, while relative scarcity produced higher selling prices for Thompsons for quite a long time, eventually the M16 versatility has prevailed.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

RDIAS are more in the 50s now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:

View Quote

Yup yesterday’s email had several Thompsons in the mid-high 20s. You can purchase an m16 shooter for around the same price.

There’s also a reising for $8495.

Purchased my m16 from them, pleasure to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By grn_zx6r:

Yup yesterday’s email had several Thompsons in the mid-high 20s. You can purchase an m16 shooter for around the same price.

There’s also a reising for $8495.

Purchased my m16 from them, pleasure to deal with.
View Quote

could you please be a pal and post up a link to the several Thompsons

I searched their website, couldn't find them

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#42]

https://laststandonzombieisland.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/thompson-submachine-gun-tommy-uscg-coast-guard-1942-26-g-09-29-426.jpg?w=1024&h=803
View Quote

When they first come in, there are not always listings prepared yet. They just send out pictures and say to email about them sometimes until a page gets setup. They send out an inventory email every Thursday. It is worth getting on the distribution list. The prices in the emails are better than the online listings.

https://gunspot.com/listings/detail/39533/cr-amnesty-registered-bridgeport-m1-thompson-machine-gun/
Online listing price is $32K, email price is $28k.

The Bridgeport M1 nonmatching for $30k does not appear to have a page yet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Regarding the shootability of the Thompson, has anyone ever tried to have a straight stock made for one? Seems like if you had the same stock shape with a flat comb, it would still position your eye in about the right spot for the sights but wouldn't make it want to rise so much. Might also be worth messing with the LOP. Since it is easily removed, you could have a stock for shooting and your traditional stock for collector value.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#44]

When they first come in, there are not always listings prepared yet. They just send out pictures and say to email about them sometimes until a page gets setup. They send out an inventory email every Thursday. It is worth getting on the distribution list. The prices in the emails are better than the online listings.

View All Quotes

https://laststandonzombieisland.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/thompson-submachine-gun-tommy-uscg-coast-guard-1942-26-g-09-29-426.jpg?w=1024&h=803

@sleestakwhisperer msg me your email and I’ll forward you yesterdays email if you’d like.

That’s how I found the m16 I bought from them. I signed up for their weekly email, responded to a m16 within to inquire about it. Spoke with a Mike. After he answered my questions I made him an offer lower than the discounted email price and he accepted.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:30:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SecondAmend] [#45]
Regarding the shootability of the Thompson, has anyone ever tried to have a straight stock made for one? Seems like if you had the same stock shape with a flat comb, it would still position your eye in about the right spot for the sights but wouldn't make it want to rise so much. Might also be worth messing with the LOP. Since it is easily removed, you could have a stock for shooting and your traditional stock for collector value.
View Quote

Of course a straight stock Thompson has been attempted (in 1942).  See, for example, pages 397-399 of "The Ultimate Thompson Book" by Tracie Hill.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:

Of course a straight stock Thompson has been attempted (in 1942).  See, for example, pages 397-399 of "The Ultimate Thompson Book" by Tracie Hill.
View Quote

I guess i didn’t phrase that particularly well, but I’m asking if anyone has experience with a straight stock and whether it made much difference. I’ve read of the ones you referenced before.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:54:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#47]
Originally Posted By grn_zx6r:

@sleestakwhisperer msg me your email and I’ll forward you yesterdays email if you’d like.

That’s how I found the m16 I bought from them. I signed up for their weekly email, responded to a m16 within to inquire about it. Spoke with a Mike. After he answered my questions I made him an offer lower than the discounted email price and he accepted.
View Quote

I'm just wondering if these "mid-20s" Thompsons are West Hurleys.

Because Midwest's website lists WHs from earlier in the year at around $26k

There is a pretty broad bell curve for pricing of collector stuff, but there is no reason for a dealer like Midwest to sell a nice pre-45 Thompson for 25k.   That would be leaving at least $5k on the table.

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#48]

I'm just wondering if these "mid-20s" Thompsons are West Hurleys.

Because Midwest's website lists WHs from earlier in the year at around $26k

There is a pretty broad bell curve for pricing of collector stuff, but there is no reason for a dealer like Midwest to sell a nice pre-45 Thompson for 25k.   That would be leaving at least $5k on the table.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/853411b013c3ebdf9ae542a0ae8eea7e/6eb8effdfe9529b8-4a/s540x810/5febc081a66a553507544cbdbb1cae4a050c344d.gifv
View Quote

There is a Pearl for $25k, which might be the referenced gun.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:10:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sleestakwhisperer] [#49]

I guess i didn’t phrase that particularly well, but I’m asking if anyone has experience with a straight stock and whether it made much difference. I’ve read of the ones you referenced before.
View Quote

The shape of the stock won't necessarily change the tendency for a gun to have muzzle rise.

The stock could be a banana shape, or dead straight, or silly straw shape.  

But the thing that actually matters is the distance between the center of the bore and the center of the contact area on your shoulder.

The amount that the gun want to twist upward is called a "Moment" and it is equal to the force F times the eccentricity X.

When you fire a gun, it creates a rearward force that is positioned at the center of the bore.  This force is counteracted by a pressure of your shoulder on the buttstock.  The center of the force is more or less the center of the contact area with your shoulder.

In the picture, you can see that the three guns have completely different stock shapes, but the Moment is still the Force times the distance between the two forces.  

If you want to change the amount of upward twist or "moment" that the gun exerts, you have to make X smaller somehow.  The M16 was cleverly designed to minimize the X distance between the force couple by lowering the centerline of the bore and elevating the sights.  

I never experienced much muzzle climb from my Thompsons, because the recoil impulse is so light.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:

In your post you stated "it would still position your eye in about the right spot for the sights"; however, the two versions that the Army tested as shown in the photographs on the pages noted have sights that are lifted considerably higher than the standard sights.  As such, it appeared to me that you were not familiar with the 1942 tests.  As the test reports for the recoil effect of the straight stock were generally favorable, I speculate that it was the requirement for rather tall sights that ended any further consideration as such sights would have been expensive and prone to damage.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top