Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2024 3:57:15 PM EDT
It would have to be neutered for 922r and a domestic folding stock would be problematic to manufacture.

But, damn that would be cool. They are iconic and keep going up in price.
The M4 clones have definitely been good sellers for people that want a representative piece for their collection. Same people would likely buy a SPAS.  

And for those of us that have actually used a SPAS, make it actually easy to use.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah....the SPAS-15.

Tony
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't it be banned, like the SPAS and Streetsweeper?
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 6:29:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FADALdude] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
View Quote

They went after “revolving cylinder shotguns” with the Streetsweeper.

SPAS12 was by name IIRC.

SPAS15 would be even better. Turkey probably surpassed Russia a while ago when it came to number of mag feed shotguns exported.

And in that vein, they should also clone the Valtro. As long as the magazines were 100% that would sell well in ban states.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes to the SPAS 12
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I already have a real SPAS-12 with the folding stock. (as well as it's siblings, the LAW-12 and SAS-12)

But I would be down for a turk SPAS-15!

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Uuugghhhhh…..

Holy cow!
Very, very nice collection there!!!

You should be a beta tester if the Turkey- SPAS 15 comes out!
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought I did well selling my SPAS12 for 150.00
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a thread in SDS/MAC Industry Page where I suggested what retro-inspired guns we want and suggested a SPAS clone - even if it was just pump or semi- not convertible so it would be SPAS look-alike.  The Turks are not shy about borrowing designs and the SPAS has got to be the most overly celebrated shotgun in movies/video games.

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 6:59:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#9]
Would be neat
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:01:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#10]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
View Quote

No.

And I'm also curious to see whether chevron deference applies to the street sweeper. Didn't the ATF classify it as a destructive device when it clearly doesn't meet the definition?

We might get those back like we did bump stocks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:
I already have a real SPAS-12 with the folding stock. (as well as it's siblings, the LAW-12 and SAS-12)

But I would be down for a turk SPAS-15!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53001700323_9376a6060f_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53001226086_10c1947a2a_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53001375239_8c005cf8cc_b.jpg
View Quote

Nice collection man, just a little jealous.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I love mine, even though they’re quirky, impractical, and definitely wouldn’t use it for serious work. I would be for a paired down clone of the 12, and I’d definitely go for a SPAS-15. If they did a semi-only and deleted the holding down the bolt release to load the mag tube, I think it would be a bit better.

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By coldair:
View Quote

$150?!?!

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:50:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#14]
Originally Posted By chemcmndr:
$150?!?!
View Quote

Yeah wut?

Weren’t they more than that when first offered in the U.S. in the 80s?

I thought I did good buying one (SPAS-12 factory folder) for $1100 in 2013. They go for stupid money now. Not a good shotgun, but iconic and it looks awesome.

Turks sorta cloned the Benelli M3 a while back, but it wasn’t selling, even at the ~$250 closeout price. Not aesthetically the same though. Looks matter. The M3 has a better pump/auto transition system, but I think an exact SPAS-12 clone would be far more popular.

Those kinds of dual action shotguns never gained general popularity amongst their intended market anyway. It’s just as fast to work the charging handle on a normal semi-auto (maybe faster).

Interestingly Australia did just buy some M3 models, but I think they want to do mostly less lethal with them.

Also US Army SF had the M3 way back (before M1014 came out, I think). It might’ve been @Combat_Diver who posted pics of issued shotguns. Unsure of their reasoning for wanting the M3.

So in summary I think they’d sell enough SPAS 100% clones to US consumers to warrant the tooling setup (compared to the myriad of other random shotgun models Turks produce, anyway.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:

Yeah wut?

I thought I did good buying one (SPAS-12 factory folder) for $1100 in 2013. They go for stupid money now. Not a good shotgun, but iconic and it looks awesome.

Turks sorta cloned the Benelli M3 a while back, but it wasn’t selling, even at the ~$250 closeout price. Not aesthetically the same though. Looks matter. The M3 has a better pump/auto transition system, but I think an exact SPAS-12 clone would be far more popular.

Those kinds of dual action shotguns never gained general popularity amongst their intended market anyway. It’s just as fast to work the charging handle on a normal semi-auto (maybe faster).

Interestingly Australia did just buy some M3 models, but I think they want to do mostly less lethal with them.

Also US Army SF had the M3 way back (before M1014 came out, I think). It might’ve been @Combat_Diver who posted pics of issued shotguns. Unsure of their reasoning for wanting the M3.

So in summary I think they’d sell enough SPAS 100% clones to US consumers to warrant the tooling setup (compared to the myriad of other random shotgun models Turks produce, anyway.)
View Quote

These were NOT used by US SOF but by Czech paras co located with us in Astan 2018.  Had to wait to after work to dig thru my laptop.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I’d buy one just for the cool factor. I keep holding out hope that the Turks will make a 1897 Trench gun clone. I missed the Norinco clones years ago.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Ah, thanks. My mistake.

Do you have any idea why they wanted a dual-action shotgun?
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Ah, thanks. My mistake.

Do you have any idea why they wanted a dual-action shotgun?
View Quote

They didn't say
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 6:40:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: clickclickBOOM] [#19]

$150?!?!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By coldair:

$150?!?!

Someone offered me $400.00 for my SPAS12’s hook! Just the hook lol.

I’m glad I bought buffers and springs back in the day, many folks don’t know that your buffer will breakdown after a bunch of rounds and crack your receiver. I did the safety upgrade too. I still kept the deadly safety around as a novelty.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By clickclickBOOM:

I’m glad I bought buffers and springs back in the day, many folks don’t know that your buffer will breakdown after a bunch of rounds and crack your receiver. I did the safety upgrade too. I still kept the deadly safety around as a novelty.
View Quote

You can get buffers now from midway. People are 3d printing them as well. You can get the one for the stock on gunbroker.
buffer

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Crash1433:

You can get buffers now from midway. People are 3d printing them as well. You can get the one for the stock on gunbroker.
buffer

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By clickclickBOOM:

buffer

Good to know. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Turkey needs to clone the spas-15

Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#23]

buffer

View Quote

The buffer in my SPAS was still there, but I replaced it with one made by one of the SPAS12 websites back in the day (I have owned it for close to 20 years).
When I got my LAW-12 last year, it also still had the buffer, but it fell apart when I took the gun down to clean it.
I replaced it with the power custom one.
The SAS-12 (pump action only) has the spot in the receiver for one, but being pump action, it never came with one. However the bolt still hits the back of the receiver when you cycle it.
So I went ahead and put one of the power custom buffers in it.
It does not effect feed or function at all and adds a little cushion to it when you pump it (and a little piece of mind).
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Skammy:
Turkey needs to clone the spas-15
https://i.ibb.co/WxkcHm8/image.png
View Quote

YES.

The rarest of the rare for Franchi shotguns.
The SPAS-15 is the clone that needs to be made.

But the SPAS12 is the most recognizable and widely known and popular.
You would be hard pressed to find someone who does not at least recognize the SPAS12.
Movies and video game as made it so popular, I am honestly surprised no one has tried to clone it yet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#25]

YES.

The rarest of the rare for Franchi shotguns.
The SPAS-15 is the clone that needs to be made.

But the SPAS12 is the most recognizable and widely known and popular.
You would be hard pressed to find someone who does not at least recognize the SPAS12.
Movies and video game as made it so popular, I am honestly surprised no one has tried to clone it yet.
View Quote

I agree - Even if it was semi-auto only using the common Turk actions they already make with an exterior made to resemble a SPAS.

The Franchi patents are so old they are likely expired and could make a clone, but the action is not ideal.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MK318:
I’d buy one just for the cool factor. I keep holding out hope that the Turks will make a 1897 Trench gun clone. I missed the Norinco clones years ago.
View Quote

That would be one I would be interested in.
Kinda surprised they have not tried to clone those yet either.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

They literally made a gun the called the "1897 Trench" however it was an Ithaca 37 clone, It looked okay but not an 1897!
TPAS pump.

RIA Trench Gun - 1897 TPAS 12ga Review
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#28]

I love mine, even though they’re quirky, impractical, and definitely wouldn’t use it for serious work. I would be for a paired down clone of the 12, and I’d definitely go for a SPAS-15. If they did a semi-only and deleted the holding down the bolt release to load the mag tube, I think it would be a bit better.

https://i.imgur.com/GrPa7RH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2SevkqN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/B209nBe.jpg
View Quote

Nice collection!
That receiver is intriguing and looks awful lonely…:hopefully a parts kit makes it your way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Yeah wut?

These were NOT used by US SOF but by Czech paras co located with us in Astan 2018.  Had to wait to after work to dig thru my laptop.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5760_JPG-3274919.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5761_JPG-3274920.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5762_JPG-3274921.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5769_JPG-3274922.JPG

CMMG had surplus top folding M3s ~10 years ago for less than $1,000.
Biggest gun regret I have.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:

They literally made a gun the called the "1897 Trench" however it was an Ithaca 37 clone, It looked okay but not an 1897!
TPAS pump.

https://f.hubspotusercontent40.net/hubfs/559399/22-Armscor-256051_TPAS%20Product_Web%20Images_2.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFbDIeC7k1g
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cherenkov:

TPAS pump.

https://f.hubspotusercontent40.net/hubfs/559399/22-Armscor-256051_TPAS%20Product_Web%20Images_2.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFbDIeC7k1g

Wow another huge retro gun possibility:

Non-NFA Stakeout clones based on the Turk Ithaca 37 clone.
They already import a Shockwave clone.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:53:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#32]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

No.

And I'm also curious to see whether chevron deference applies to the street sweeper. Didn't the ATF classify it as a destructive device when it clearly doesn't meet the definition?

We might get those back like we did bump stocks.
View Quote

IIRC, all 10, 12, 16, 20 and 28 gauge shotguns meet the definition of destructive device but they are exempt because they're used for "sporting purposes". That exemption was revoked for the street sweeper and SPAS 12.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I just want someone to make a clone of the old 870 Mk.1 bayonet mount bracket. It's 2 pieces of crudely bent sheet steel and some screws, why is it so hard to get?

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By eric496:

IIRC, all 10, 12, 16, 20 and 28 gauge shotguns meet the definition of destructive device but they are exempt because they're used for "sporting purposes". That exemption was revoked for the street sweeper and SPAS 12.
View Quote

I think it was the Street Sweeper & the USAS-12. The SPAS hung on for a bit longer until the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By FADALdude:

Nice collection!
That receiver is intriguing and looks awful lonely…:hopefully a parts kit makes it your way.
View Quote

Thank you! Yeah, the receiver was from someone drilling the first SPAS receiver for some old Aimpoint optic. I found a receiver on Gunbroker and swapped the furniture over. Now I have a stripped receiver. I thought about piecing it back together, but the individual parts would cost more than a complete gun…
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I grew up watching Terminator, T2, Jurassic Park, Robocop, Miami Vice and every other movie where if there was a shotgun, it was a SPAS-12.

Have always wanted to buy one, but couldn't stomach paying what they bring for a safe queen.  I'd definitely buy a Turkish one.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 12:45:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dbnd] [#37]
https://forums.benelliusa.com/topic/26256-spas-12-inspired-forendhandguard/

Do what this guy was attempting to do and clone the old top folder. Stick it on the M3 clone the Turks were already making and SDS previously imported.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By eric496:

View Quote

The SPAS sporting exemption was not revoked. If it was, then they would be destructive devices and need a tax stamp to own.
You do not need a tax stamp to own a SPAS.
You DO need a tax stamp to own a street sweeper.

They simply stopped the SPAS from being imported.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top