Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2019 6:18:23 PM EDT
I am 6'0 180 lbs, used to have this plate carrier setup (SKD Lvl 4 ceramic in Slickster) but it felt a bit small and was decently heavy for its size. I really liked the Slickster as a plate carrier but I would like to get some better plates that offer at least similar protection at a lower weight. Due to some injuries, lowering the weight on my plate carrier setup has become a concern. Only looking for front and back plates. I am willing to pay more to upgrade of course.

This plate carrier will be used to take classes in, training, and for home defense purposes.

What are some other good plate options with a similar style shooters cut? I have been looking at some HMWPE options. Something I could preferably run in a Slickster or similar low-profile carrier?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Those SKD plates are TenCate 1779's in what I'm pretty sure is TenCate's Shooters Cut.

That said other TenCate 10x12 Shooters Cut plates should work, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

If you're willing to switch from the Slickster that opens more options.

ETA: I should mention that, provided the other TenCate plates will in fact fit, there are some good options from them alone but you'll have many more options with a different carrier.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those SKD plates are TenCate 1779's in what I'm pretty sure is TenCate's Shooters Cut.

That said other TenCate 10x12 Shooters Cut plates should work, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

If you're willing to switch from the Slickster that opens more options.

ETA: I should mention that, provided the other TenCate plates will in fact fit, there are some good options from them alone but you'll have many more options with a different carrier.
View Quote
If he uses the same carrier it looks like other plates will not fit. From the link he posted "We worked with Ferro Concepts to make a Slickster SPECIFICALLY PATTERNED for the ground-breaking SKD Armor Plate (will not fit other plates)"
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Should have clarified, I dumped that Slickster.1 with the plates. I just meant I would like to go with the Slickster again, in a standard version. I like how the shoulder straps on the Slickster are closer to your neck as opposed to the outside of your shoulders. Open to other similar options though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Should have clarified, I dumped that Slickster.1 with the plates. I just meant I would like to go with the Slickster again, in a standard version. I like how the shoulder straps on the Slickster are closer to your neck as opposed to the outside of your shoulders. Open to other similar options though.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with the Slickster if that's your thing.

What's your plate budget?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just prefer a lower profile carrier, nothing too bulky. Budget is up to $1k but I would like to stay as far under as possible. The RMA Lvl 3+ plates are around 4lbs each and appx $200 per I believe. Saw another thread regarding them earlier and they seemed decent but I am definitely willing to spend more if I can go even lighter.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just prefer a lower profile carrier, nothing too bulky. Budget is up to $1k but I would like to stay as far under as possible. The RMA Lvl 3+ plates are around 4lbs each and appx $200 per I believe. Saw another thread regarding them earlier and they seemed decent but I am definitely willing to spend more if I can go even lighter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You won't really get lighter unless you want to go with poly plates, the problem with poly plates of course being they don't stop M855. Up to you if that's a problem but it's for that reason that I don't typically recommend poly plates.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You won't really get lighter unless you want to go with poly plates, the problem with poly plates of course being they don't stop M855. Up to you if that's a problem but it's for that reason that I don't typically recommend poly plates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This but keep in mind OP, the RMA plates are on the thicker side but are layered with a nice padding and makes them very comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This but keep in mind OP the RMA plates are on the thicker side but are layered with a nice padding and makes them very comfortable.
View Quote
Any thinner non-poly options out there?

And also, any poly recommendations?

I'm not terribly worried about M855 on this particular setup.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This but keep in mind OP the RMA plates are on the thicker side but are layered with a nice padding and makes them very comfortable.

There's thinner plates but you're going to pay more. Anything in the .5 to .6 inch range will likely be a Special Threat plate. My personal choice is the TenCate 2000SA which will weigh ~0.5 pounds more than RMA's III+ plate but it's got 7.62x39 API as one of its test threats.

Also, if you're looking for thin, poly is not the way to go. They'll all be right around an inch thick unless you want to shell out some serious cash (~$700 per plate) for the advanced "thin" poly plates that get down to around .7 inches thickness.

Keep in mind with a thinner ceramic plate you're typically forgoing any meaningful drop/impact protection due to the lack of any anti-shock material over the strike face.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you're willing to write off 855 and shedding weight is the priority, I'd take a look at the Hesco 3800s. 2.2 pounds for SAPI medium, albeit on the thicker side at 1". With the Slickster's weight taken into account you're going to be under 6 pounds slick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top