Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 72 of 79)
Page / 79
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Does the British MTP Smock have the ability to accept a zip in liner like the old USGI M65 field jackets?

View Quote

Not stock if I remember.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By hodgescl:
@marnsdorff

*Tyrone biggums voice* You have any of that mossy oak fabric….
View Quote

Not on hand, but I can get some....

Looks like I can get most variants in 500d cordura, and one in 1000d Cordura, But the last one is uncoated.

I can get other fabrics too.                  

Whatcha thinking?
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the British MTP Smock have the ability to accept a zip in liner like the old USGI M65 field jackets?

View Quote

No, issue underneath layer Is this, that at surplus prices less than 30$ is a good surplus item.

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

Looks like I can get most variants in 500d cordura, and one in 1000d Cordura, But the last one is uncoated.

Whatcha thinking?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@marnsdorff

Whatcha thinking?

I'll be interested if you can figure out what kind of fabric I'm going to send you
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

You could probably get an old M65 liner and add the corresponding buttons easy enough.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Re: food, prepared pathfinder has a new video on field striping rations. Not unlike the old brent0331 video on Patrolling It shows the military way of "keep the main courses and One snack, throw away the rest" instead of carefully removing packaging but keeping everything.  Rations' nutritional value Is carefully calculated, if only they'd eat the whole thing.

Schoka-kola Is good, i like the dark One more than the milk One, but If eaten on a empty stomach atleast in my experience It causes a Little discomfort. I like Aero shots as a Quick caffeine boost just in case, i have a few in my kits.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Not stock if I remember.
View All Quotes

Not stock if I remember.

Just use a zippered fleece....
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:

The C-Rats we were issued in the ’70’s had 4 inch round chocolate discs in them.
They were kinda like Nestle Crunches but like a 1/4 inch thick and harder with dark chocolate added.
A young fighting man could go several days with 5 or 6 of those stashed on him.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:
I think i missed my point.

I am aware of heavy SOG loadouts and sadly i am aware of the use of stimulants, even well into GWOT. Lots of ephedrine.
That said my point is that Mr. St.Martin. in this picture has a lot of combat items. i see a Bar Belt plus a canteen full of mini grenades so around 360 rounds, 3 smokes and 5 large hand grenades, a strip of detonation charge worn crossbody, a claymore mine in the front pocket of the modified claymore bag. two pouches have antenna/radio gear (i recognize the at984 fishing reel antenna, not the other). Hanging from the belt there are 1 jungle first aid kit and 3 m1942 bandage pouches (contents unknown), same for the two first aid kit pouches on the suspenders. also extraction harness taped to the belt.

On the other hand he has a just few subsistence items. I see one water canteen on his hip (no doubt he had way to purify more), the rest is in the other half of the claymore bag worn as a pack (maybe the shape inside is of a indigenous ration). There is a poncho wrapped with i think a GP strap and tied to the suspenders.

I show this because it is well documented, but it's a choice he made of carrying no pack at all for a short duration mission. According to the book "Running Recon" by Frank Greco at pg.100 "One Zero John st.Martin displayting the way he organized and carried his equipment without the use of a rucksack..."

Pic with same loadout is shown on page 67 prior to embarking for a mission from Dak To launch site. His colleague Ed Wolcoff is shown with a similar rucksack-less web gear. That same mission ended with an emergency extraction after 3 days, so they survived atleast 3 days with just those items.

I have already said it, but lot of the packing light concept is having the phisical and mental strength to bear with discomfort, which is something you can't buy.
If you think it is all due to amphetamines that is an opinion i wouldn't agree with.

The C-Rats we were issued in the ’70’s had 4 inch round chocolate discs in them.
They were kinda like Nestle Crunches but like a 1/4 inch thick and harder with dark chocolate added.
A young fighting man could go several days with 5 or 6 of those stashed on him.

John Wayne bars, those were awesome.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

I'll be interested if you can figure out what kind of fabric I'm going to send you
View Quote

Sheer Silk lingerie fabric in Mossy Oak?

Ya know, I've been tempted to make a full set of belt kit and a matching ALICE pack setup in Mossy Oak, a one-off, and sell it as the 'Bubba Rig'.  Kinda like the Diz Rig?     I think that'd be hilarious.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By joeviterbo:
Re: food, prepared pathfinder has a new video on field striping rations. Not unlike the old brent0331 video on Patrolling It shows the military way of "keep the main courses and One snack, throw away the rest" instead of carefully removing packaging but keeping everything.  Rations' nutritional value Is carefully calculated, if only they'd eat the whole thing.

Schoka-kola Is good, i like the dark One more than the milk One, but If eaten on a empty stomach atleast in my experience It causes a Little discomfort. I like Aero shots as a Quick caffeine boost just in case, i have a few in my kits.
View Quote

Luckily I have a case of each kind stashed away.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Sheer Silk lingerie fabric in Mossy Oak?

View Quote

What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wsix:

What could go wrong?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#14]
This makes me feel kinda dirty but I want pics.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Diz:
This makes me feel kinda dirty but I want pics.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
@marnsdorff

Whatcha thinking?

Just a curiosity if feasible. It would be neat to have a good belt kit/ tactical turkey/bird rig lol. Lots of shells, snacks, calls, and can put birds in the but pack. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Just a curiosity if feasible. It would be neat to have a good belt kit/ tactical turkey/bird rig lol. Lots of shells, snacks, calls, and can put birds in the but pack. Just a thought.
View Quote

That is absolutely feasible.  The hybrid belt kit setup - buttpack / water bottle pouches with molle for ammo pouches lends well for that.  You can swap on side pouches to hold snacks, calls, shells, whatever in the side pockets.  OR swap them out and throw on AR mag pouches for that super spicy hunting expedition.  

You make me want to do a mossy oak kit even more now.  And definitely name it 'The Bubba Rig'.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I first became convinced of a belt kit's utility living and hiking in the Southwest (with British P58 no less): most of the weight on the hips, plenty of storage, and my chest and back (assuming no pack) left open to ventilate freely. What you and I are getting is that there is a lot of crossover outside of the 'tacticool' realm.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By lew:

I first became convinced of a belt kit's utility living and hiking in the Southwest (with British P58 no less): most of the weight on the hips, plenty of storage, and my chest and back (assuming no pack) left open to ventilate freely. What you and I are getting is that there is a lot of crossover outside of the 'tacticool' realm.
View Quote

Absolutely agree.  

I've actually got one of my prototype belts that I'm re-purposing (slowly as I have time) to use as a kinda-lumbar pack setup.  Basically stripping it down to just a buttpack and 2 water bottle pouches, molle on the sides if I wanted to slap on a snack pouch or something.  Going to use it for short hiking day trips.  WORLDS better than wearing a pack that you sweat through.  I've got one of my prototype buttpacks on it already, waiting for another water bottle pouch I can re-purpose for it, already have one of my seconds sitting by ready to go on it.  Waiting until I screw up another one bad enough I need to use it as a second.  

A DZ rig in Ranger Green, stripped of it's ammo pouches, would make a fine day hiking setup.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 12:30:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#20]
If I were to do a set of meme Mossy Oak belt kit, which mossy oak camo pattern should I use?  I know basically nothing about mossy oak other than it's the name brand hunting camo.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:23:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#22]
First I have seen from this guy.
He definitely “gets” the reasons and advantages of the LBE belt kit.
Explains it well for those that are new to the idea or the lifestyle of being ready for anything.

https://youtu.be/EkQakLPCQuA?si=R8EXssyHPbRnKTun
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#23]
When I used to go to Bragg frequently, I did see some "Mossy-Oak" style civvie cammie in use.  I think those guys with SgtMaj's who didn't GAF were testing out various camos.  It wouldn't surprise me if some limited run stuff was made in ABU/BDU format.  This would have been around the '07 timeframe.  Especially with 3-D stuff; it really didn't seem that much of a difference from stock, GI stuff.

Only thing I might question is NIR treatment or lack thereof, if that's a concern.  Some guys swear you can spray that down with hairspray; "White Rain" or some such shit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quite a few hunting garments in hunting camouflages used early GWOT when tactical outdioor clothing did not exist.

it is common belief that around 2005 Devgru made some internal camouflage trials for their reconnaissance troops that included civilian camouflage, including some mossy oak variants (i think obsession and some darker one) and realtree advantage timber. I was a fan of Natural Gear one, the one that the army issued in form of those hunting ghillie type pre made oversuits.

There are some uniforms, cold weather gear, packs and chest rigs floating around that command very high collector's prices.

i have a smock with those pictures of flora type camo that i found somewhere for cheap  that i sometime wear, as well as another summer type hunting set that is like perforated and buzz off treated that would be good for hunting in summer if summer was hunting season here . i also have a couple of the cheap 3d oversuits.

I also have a mossy oak plate carrier i call my "neighborhood watch" rig , not high quality but a nice low profile item that mixes well with clothing worn by country folks.
Oh, and also my friend that as a gift from helping him had Frog Pro made 3 of his top of the line plate carrier, the Hagakure, in realtree with blaze orange lining and some leather embroidered by him under the laser cut part of the back panel and gave one to me and one to another friend that honestly i ahve used more than i should have possibly, both at the range and on training courses
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, ok, you have done it.  You have talked me into doing a set of belt kit in BubbaCam.  

Now I really do have to come up with which camo pattern.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok, ok, you have done it.  You have talked me into doing a set of belt kit in BubbaCam.  

Now I really do have to come up with which camo pattern.
View Quote

How about old skool Trebark or  Brigade Quartermaster ASAT? At least I remember seeing that in the BQ catalog.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 7:49:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#27]
Originally Posted By cap6888:

How about old skool Trebark or  Brigade Quartermaster ASAT? At least I remember seeing that in the BQ catalog.
View Quote

Jeez, I remember that stuff now that you brought it up.  

I can get most of the Mossy Oak and Realtree stuff, at least the modern stuff that's still being made.  There's about a dozen camo patterns between the two brands.  Mossy Oak Original Bottomland is probably the closest thing to the Trebark one they have now.  Pic below.

Or I could go full BubbaCam and do something like the the following:

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#28]

I can get most of the Mossy Oak and Realtree stuff, at least the modern stuff that's still being made.  There's about a dozen camo patterns between the two brands.  Mossy Oak Original Bottomland is probably the closest thing to the Trebark one they have now.  Pic below.

https://i0.wp.com/camofabricdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Mossy-Oak-Original-Bottomland-500D-Nylon.jpg?fit=720%2C720&ssl=1

https://i0.wp.com/camofabricdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Mossy-Oak-Break-Up-500D-nylon-2.jpg?fit=720%2C720&ssl=1

https://i0.wp.com/camofabricdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Realtree-Xtra-Green-500D-Nylon.jpg?fit=720%2C720&ssl=1
View Quote

I vote for Xtra Green
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#29]
bring back the marine sniper in bosnia look

or even

or the short lived EMDOM sold kit in Mossy oak break up, circa 2007

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#30]

https://i0.wp.com/camofabricdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Mossy-Oak-Original-Bottomland-500D-Nylon.jpg?fit=720%2C720&ssl=1

https://i0.wp.com/camofabricdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Mossy-Oak-Break-Up-500D-nylon-2.jpg?fit=720%2C720&ssl=1

https://i0.wp.com/camofabricdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Realtree-Xtra-Green-500D-Nylon.jpg?fit=720%2C720&ssl=1
View Quote

That first one reminds me of the gouchieflauge from Sniper.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 12:17:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#31]
Most Camo Patterns are FAR more about the HUMAN "Buyer" than to the hunted game.

Most "hunted" game pays far more attention to scent than do we humans, not to mention better hearing.

"Hunted" game eyesight pays attention to "different" colors/light waves than what we humans perceive.

Previously mentioned Brigade Quartermaster "ATASC" pattern was uncommonly effective in disrupting hunter's form.  Kind of a broad-stripe horizontal/vertical camo.  Unpopular since it did not seem, to HUMANS, as decent camo.

Example: Camo

What looks "good" to a hunter in a store might look laughably "different" to a "hunted" game animal, on account of their very DIFFERENT senses.

Strongly suggest doing some "investigation" before obtaining "BubbaCam" fabric.

You have only one chance on obtaining a good "first impression".

@marnsdorff
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By raf:
Most Camo Patterns are FAR more about the HUMAN "Buyer" than to the hunted game.

Most "hunted" game pays far more attention to scent than do we humans, not to mention better hearing.

"Hunted" game eyesight pays attention to "different" colors/light waves than what we humans perceive.

Previously mentioned Brigade Quartermaster "ATASC" pattern was uncommonly effective in disrupting hunter's form.  Kind of a broad-stripe horizontal/vertical camo.  Unpopular since it did not seem, to HUMANS, as decent camo.

What looks "good" to a hunter in a store might look laughably "different" to a "hunted" game animal, on account of their very DIFFERENT senses.

@marnsdorff
View Quote

When reading the post on hunting camo that B.Q. camo was the first thing that pooped into my mind.

From the photo's they put out it actually worked pretty good.
I guess the mil. and civi consumers couldn't get past it being butt ugly.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Asat camo was recently involved in a lawsuit against Supreme that marketed fashion items in that camo.

That camo Is exceptional if used on 3d suits, less in bdu format. I mean viewed thru human eyes, i don't know how Animals see, if they see colors or not, i Guess they still pick up shades of color that have high contrast with the background.

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:55:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#34]
Originally Posted By 1fromtx:

When reading the post on hunting camo that B.Q. camo was the first thing that pooped into my mind.

From the photo's they put out it actually worked pretty good.
I guess the mil. and civi consumers couldn't get past it being butt ugly.
View Quote
I think that you have a good point.  Humans see camo differently than do animals, for various reasons, mostly scent, noise, and animal eyes being sensitive to different "light" than human eyes can "see".

Humans often confuse what we smell or see with the scent/sight/hearing organs amongst hunted animals.

Most humans are so noisy, smelly, and moving around that most hunted game easily avoids us.

Not a hunter, but this seems obvious.

As mentioned before, most "Hunting" camo is primarily designed to attract Human buyers.

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#35]
So true.  As in the fishing lure designed to catch the fisherman, not necessarily the fish.

Yeah as far as smell goes, this is a real eye-opener for most city-slickers.  Your smell(s) don't belong in the bush.  We get wrapped around camo patterns and largely ignore smells, and sounds.  Talk to any good hunter to get squared away.  

The funny part with all these "mossy oak" style camos.  You get these beautiful color palettes, but then you see the same pattern in blaze orange so you don't get lit up by mistake.  And the deer don't give a shit which one you have on.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#36]
So true.  As in the fishing lure designed to catch the fisherman, not necessarily the fish.

Yeah as far as smell goes, this is a real eye-opener for most city-slickers.  Your smell(s) don't belong in the bush.  We get wrapped around camo patterns and largely ignore smells, and sounds.  Talk to any good hunter to get squared away.  

The funny part with all these "mossy oak" style camos.  You get these beautiful color palettes, but then you see the same pattern in blaze orange so you don't get lit up by mistake.  And the deer don't give a shit which one you have on.
View Quote
Possibly why the Brigade QM ATACS camo did not take off.  Fine for animals, but not OK for humans.

I've seen vids of stationary folks with wildly colored Hawaiian shirts doing well compared to similar "camo" users.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:09:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#37]
Double-tap.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:25:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#38]
For giggles Dickleflage

HD
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 3:44:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgescl] [#39]
[b]Originally Posted By raf:
Possibly why the Brigade QM ATACS camo did not take off.  Fine for animals, but not OK for humans.

I've seen vids of stationary folks with wildly colored Hawaiian shirts doing well compared to similar "camo" users.
View Quote

Anecdote as a kid, when playing paintball in the woods, guys wearing the hunting stuff would freeze and get missed by people (me) who were maybe 20 feet away. It also made it harder to see knees and elbows poking out from behind trees or brush. A cheap but painful lesson for silhouette searching….
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 4:28:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#40]

Anecdote as a kid, when playing paintball in the woods, guys wearing the hunting stuff would freeze and get missed by people (me) who were maybe 20 feet away. It also made it harder to see knees and elbows poking out from behind trees or brush. A cheap but painful lesson for silhouette searching .
View Quote
Oh, yeah, seen many "camouflaged" folks with "decent" camo clothing moving around to reveal themselves to Human Eyes, and Animal eyes/senses.

I reckon that most animals, with their "exquisite" and innate senses, "sensed" Humans long before Humans discovered animals.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Harv24:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Harv24:

Not stock if I remember.

I swear by a full zipper fleece.
When its cold even with thermals that fleece locks in body heat.
I'll wear whatever is appropriate over that.

Speaking of, my zipper broke on my go to fleece so I need to order another one.

Glad I saw the post.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:46:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#42]
I'm down with dickelflage.  I think it would be some stiff competition for MC.  

Just to add, I want to congratulate Marnsdorff for being the new OEM for Crossfire USA.  He will be doing some work on the Diz rigs initially and then build from there.  Ideally he will be our Berry Compliant Go-To in the future for .mil contracts.  And if we do some one-off shit in different camo patterns and so forth.

He will continue to do his own custom work as well.   We are hoping to throw more work his way to allow him to expand and be totally bad-ass.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Just to add, I want to congratulate Marnsdorff for being the new OEM for Crossfire USA.  He will be doing some work on the Diz rigs initially and then build from there.  Ideally he will be our Berry Compliant Go-To in the future for .mil contracts.  And if we do some one-off shit in different camo patterns and so forth.

He will continue to do his own custom work as well.   We are hoping to throw more work his way to allow him to expand and be totally bad-ass.
View Quote

I'm still doing all the orders I have in and still working on the Medium ALICE and other projects, but I'm going to have to be picky on future custom orders for my stuff.

But long term, this will give everyone more options for both my stuff and Crossfire's stuff as I bring on more employees and get them up and running with sewing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By raf:

@marnsdorff
View Quote

Oh yea, definitely.  The BubbaCam set would totally be for meme purposes.  I'm not intending to make it a normal thing.  Unless people wanted it of course.  I just think it's funny.  Plus some hunters might actually like it alot.  It does kinda make sense for certain hunting situations.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#45]

I'm still doing all the orders I have in and still working on the Medium ALICE and other projects, but I'm going to have to be picky on future custom orders for my stuff.

But long term, this will give everyone more options for both my stuff and Crossfire's stuff as I bring on more employees and get them up and running with sewing.
View All Quotes

Outstanding news. Congrats @marnsdorff
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Fantastic news!  Much congratulations all around! Hazzah!
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#47]
For sure I think the bubbaflage might grow legs here.  Hell I'd get one.  Along with Joe for his collection.  Perche no?

In spite of all the bullshit, great times bros; we are jolly green giants striding through the valley.  (insert FMJ meme here)

I'm really stoked here, cuz I want to do some one-off projects that Marnsdorff can do limited runs of.  And I want to drag Hawkeye into this deal as well.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#48]
For sure I think the bubbaflage might grow legs here.  Hell I'd get one.  Along with Joe for his collection.  Perche no?

In spite of all the bullshit, great times bros; we are jolly green giants striding through the valley.  (insert FMJ meme here)

I'm really stoked here, cuz I want to do some one-off projects that Marnsdorff can do limited runs of.  And I want to drag Hawkeye into this deal as well.
View Quote

I have zero problem with doing special runs of stuff.  I'd rather spend more time sewing stuff for others than marketing my stuff.  The marketing is annoying.  

And BubbaCam / BubbaFlage is hilarious.  I can see a run of decent BubbaCam smocks too, if I can get a decent fabric in it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Congratulations @marnsdorff
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Congrats! Crazy the turn of events that have happened over the years since this thread began, haha.
Page / 79
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 72 of 79)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top