Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 74 of 79)
Page / 79
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:

I kick myself for selling all my ALICE packs years ago.
View Quote
ALICE packs easy to obtain.  Decent GI ALICE pack frames also.  The thing is, as I've mentioned before along with others, is that only GI Alice pack frames have the capability, with auxiliary GI metal shelves, to tote large objects like 5-gal water/fuel cans and multiple ammo cans.  All these items require suitable horizontal securing straps.

The otherwise excellent Tactical Tailor ALICE frame is incapable of doing so, unfortunately.

I live near "brackish" water, which means it is kinda salty.  I have an MSR "Water-Maker" which will "make" fresh water out of full-salted ocean water.  I need a way to transport a 5-gal can of "brackish" water to my place so I can use the "water-maker" to de-salinize the water.

The ALICE pack frame, with "suitable" shoulder strap and waistbelt upgrades works well for that purpose.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
An observation on belt kit / webbing pouches;

I think the Spiritus Mutant pouch is a pretty good starting point, for a concept that can be expanded upon.

It is becoming more common, for more individuals in a team, to carry a handheld radio. The integrated side pouch on the Mutant does this well, in these platforms using the “between pouches” area to add a radio is great.

I would like to see more of this concept.

The DZ rig gives you a couple rows/columns of molle , but this is lacking for a radio pouch. I use them for pouches for quick access items like a red light and mosquito head net that are smaller.
View Quote

I mount my radio on my left rear-most mag pouch, between the mag pouch and the canteen pouch.  (This is the pouch my IFAK is in)

Right now I use a USGI flashbang pouch for a baofeng, and I have a regular radio pouch for a 152 or something should I end up with one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By raf:
ALICE packs easy to obtain.  Decent GI ALICE pack frames also.  The thing is, as I've mentioned before along with others, is that only GI Alice pack frames have the capability, with auxiliary GI metal shelves, to tote large objects like 5-gal water/fuel cans and multiple ammo cans.  All these items require suitable horizontal securing straps.

The otherwise excellent Tactical Tailor ALICE frame is incapable of doing so, unfortunately.

I live near "brackish" water, which means it is kinda salty.  I have an MSR "Water-Maker" which will "make" fresh water out of full-salted ocean water.  I need a way to transport a 5-gal can of "brackish" water to my place so I can use the "water-maker" to de-salinize the water.

The ALICE pack frame, with "suitable" shoulder strap and waistbelt upgrades works well for that purpose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have a 12V pump that can draw water from shallow sources, that is wired to run off my HF radio battery I will already have. I carry that in a small bag, that attaches to the Alice frame with cargo shelf, to hold the water can. Then i can processes the water away from the source.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
This may not be the best place to ask this question, but it's kind of related to the DZ rig.  The whole rig looks pretty awesome, but has anyone seen where you can purchase just the magazine pouches individually?  I have an event in mind where the mag pouches would come in handy, but I don't need the whole rig.  Or, if anyone has ever seen another manufacturer produce a triple magazine pouch--in the same/similar configuration as the DZ pouches.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

@raf

Would you mind posting links or pics of the bits needed to take an ALICE frame and set it up for being a bipedal mule

I have my ALICE, Med, 1EA, from my 2004-05 deployment and while I’ve walked many miles with it, I’ve never been ‘fortunate’ enough to hump a 5gal water can with it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#6]

I have a 12V pump that can draw water from shallow sources, that is wired to run off my HF radio battery I will already have. I carry that in a small bag, that attaches to the Alice frame with cargo shelf, to hold the water can. Then i can processes the water away from the source.
View All Quotes

Would you mind posting up pics and details of that set up, here or in another thread? We have a small creek on our WV property and it gets pretty low if it hasn’t rained in a week. I have a gravity filter setup that would do well with the water, but collecting it 1/2 a cup at a time based on the shallow depth would be laborious, haha.

Being able to pack along >5lbs of pump and tubing to fill a GI water can faster and easier would be nice.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Razzman1:
This may not be the best place to ask this question, but it's kind of related to the DZ rig.  The whole rig looks pretty awesome, but has anyone seen where you can purchase just the magazine pouches individually?  I have an event in mind where the mag pouches would come in handy, but I don't need the whole rig.  Or, if anyone has ever seen another manufacturer produce a triple magazine pouch--in the same/similar configuration as the DZ pouches.

Thanks
View Quote

You're fine asking it here.

Yea, Crossfire is coming out with individual pouches.  I'm pretty sure ammo pouches will be included.  Not sure when though.

I make a similar-ish ammo pouch.  2 x triple AR mag pouches.  The actual design is slightly different, and I use fastex buckles vs. the tuck-tab ones Diz designed.  

Crossfire's will be cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Razzman1:

Thanks
View Quote

Maybe Nixieworks lightfighter pouches. I think someone had some in the EE in ranger green.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Would you mind posting up pics and details of that set up, here or in another thread? We have a small creek on our WV property and it gets pretty low if it hasn’t rained in a week. I have a gravity filter setup that would do well with the water, but collecting it 1/2 a cup at a time based on the shallow depth would be laborious, haha.

Being able to pack along >5lbs of pump and tubing to fill a GI water can faster and easier would be nice.
View All Quotes

I will make a post on it as soon as I can. It is currently stored at a training location. (Aka I forgot it there)
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
As I have started to build out my first official belt kit, it’s impacted my philosophy on other pieces of my set-up.

The primary piece of kit that’s been impacted has been my plate carrier. Prior to understanding belt kit, I wanted my JPC 2.0 to be able to: hold 7 mags, level 4 plates, soft side armor, radio, medical, admin, and hydration (if need be). WOW. Effectively I was asking it to accomplish two roles: ballistic protection AND complete load carriage.

After understanding belt kit better, I’ve been able to shift most if not all of that to my waist. Now the JPC 2.0 will still be an integral part of my kit, but I’m easily able to wear it over my harness, and it’s having to do wayyyy less work. Really; I just keep a simple 3 mag shingle, soft side armor, TQ, (and radio in a side wing if need be).

I am still from that COVID/modern era where I see it being very useful for me personally, but I am  happy that it’s now living in it’s designed role for purely and primarily ballistic protection.

I also think Adam Holroyd’s (of Spiritus Systems) approach of wearing a buttpack/sustainment pack on your rear, but keeping all of those items in a dry bag makes a lot of sense. His philosophy is that you can pull that out in a pinch and throw it in your Ruck. That space now is available for the ruck instead of needing to go wide like the Brit style.

I’m still interested in getting a cheap medium Alice pack, but I do think I will try Adam’s approach because I think it’s essential for kit to properly pair with Rucks. I do not prefer the philosophy of not needing a ruck “because I have a buttpack!”
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:58:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#11]
Any reason for wearing the harness under the armor?

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

For me personally, the harness is very thin (Carcajou yolk) so I like the idea of the belt being my base and plus’ing UP to armor instead of armor being my default and adding belt on top of that.

Also, I think adding the belt/harness on top of a PC means I have to lengthen the harness a bit more to sit where I want because the added mass of the PC. Also adding a pack on top seems harder that way.

This is all just instinctual personal opinion with little experience.

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 8:18:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#13]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:@rafWould you mind posting links or pics of the bits needed to take an ALICE frame and set it up for being a bipedal mule I have my ALICE, Med, 1EA, from my 2004-05 deployment and while I''''''''ve walked many miles with it, I''''''''ve never been ''''''''fortunate'''''''' enough to hump a 5gal water can with it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By raf:ALICE packs easy to obtain.  Decent GI ALICE pack frames also.  The thing is, as I''''''''ve mentioned before along with others, is that only GI Alice pack frames have the capability, with auxiliary GI metal shelves, to tote large objects like 5-gal water/fuel cans and multiple ammo cans.  All these items require suitable horizontal securing straps.The otherwise excellent Tactical Tailor ALICE frame is incapable of doing so, unfortunately.I live near "brackish" water, which means it is kinda salty.  I have an MSR "Water-Maker" which will "make" fresh water out of full-salted ocean water.  I need a way to transport a 5-gal can of "brackish" water to my place so I can use the "water-maker" to de-salinize the water.The ALICE pack frame, with "suitable" shoulder strap and waistbelt upgrades works well for that purpose.
@rafWould you mind posting links or pics of the bits needed to take an ALICE frame and set it up for being a bipedal mule I have my ALICE, Med, 1EA, from my 2004-05 deployment and while I''''''''ve walked many miles with it, I''''''''ve never been ''''''''fortunate'''''''' enough to hump a 5gal water can with it.

Mil used 1" wide length-adjustable OD green nylon straps with Metal "cam" levers, at least 2 per pack frame:  See HERE. For 5-gal water/fuel cans use one shelf on the bottom.  For multiple ammo cans use 2 shelves; one at bottom and one at middle cross brace.  Cargo straps to suit the load.  Beware of other cargo shelves intended for the GI plywood pack board load-carrier, and VN era lightweight rucksack frame-- won't fit ALICE frame. See also (scroll down and click on) small side pix of dual Cargo Shelf install HERE.  This is the correct ALICE "Cargo Shelf".

Shop around for items.

@towerofpower94
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Shoulder pocket clearance, mostly. Padded harness overtop of a padded plate carrier makes shouldering a rifle very annoying and inconsistent. Without padding on the PC straps, extra weight on top will make them cut into your shoulders something awful.

I’ve also found that wearing the yoke under armor just ends up being more comfortable, keeps everything tight to the body. It is less convenient when having to get in/out of vehicles, though. I can wear the standard DZ yoke under a plate carrier, it works surprisingly well, and doubles as padding for the plate carrier straps, but still adds a bit more bulk over the shoulder pocket than I’d like. I’m planning on trying CF’s low pro yoke when it comes out.

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ct78:
As I have started to build out my first official belt kit, it’s impacted my philosophy on other pieces of my set-up.

The primary piece of kit that’s been impacted has been my plate carrier. Prior to understanding belt kit, I wanted my JPC 2.0 to be able to: hold 7 mags, level 4 plates, soft side armor, radio, medical, admin, and hydration (if need be). WOW. Effectively I was asking it to accomplish two roles: ballistic protection AND complete load carriage.

After understanding belt kit better, I’ve been able to shift most if not all of that to my waist. Now the JPC 2.0 will still be an integral part of my kit, but I’m easily able to wear it over my harness, and it’s having to do wayyyy less work. Really; I just keep a simple 3 mag shingle, soft side armor, TQ, (and radio in a side wing if need be).

I am still from that COVID/modern era where I see it being very useful for me personally, but I am  happy that it’s now living in it’s designed role for purely and primarily ballistic protection.

I also think Adam Holroyd’s (of Spiritus Systems) approach of wearing a buttpack/sustainment pack on your rear, but keeping all of those items in a dry bag makes a lot of sense. His philosophy is that you can pull that out in a pinch and throw it in your Ruck. That space now is available for the ruck instead of needing to go wide like the Brit style.

I’m still interested in getting a cheap medium Alice pack, but I do think I will try Adam’s approach because I think it’s essential for kit to properly pair with Rucks. I do not prefer the philosophy of not needing a ruck “because I have a buttpack!”
View Quote

Yea, you're going to drastically re-think your whole gear approach once you start dabbling with belt kit.  

And you definitely need a ruck if you are running belt kit, even with a buttpack.  Your buttpack isn't there for full on sustainment gear.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By rb889:

Shoulder pocket clearance, mostly. Padded harness overtop of a padded plate carrier makes shouldering a rifle very annoying and inconsistent. Without padding on the PC straps, extra weight on top will make them cut into your shoulders something awful.

I’ve also found that wearing the yoke under armor just ends up being more comfortable, keeps everything tight to the body. It is less convenient when having to get in/out of vehicles, though. I can wear the standard DZ yoke under a plate carrier, it works surprisingly well, and doubles as padding for the plate carrier straps, but still adds a bit more bulk over the shoulder pocket than I’d like. I’m planning on trying CF’s low pro yoke when it comes out.

View Quote

If you are going to be wearing your belt kit predominantly with armor, it seems that wearing it under armor is the way to go?

But that's from observations - I don't personally wear it with armor though.  If I'm going to armor up, it's because I'm either permanently static or full on vehicle ops.  And I'm going slim-line.  

I got back into belt kit specifically to deal with overheating issues in the hot, humid summer in the SE.  Which means no armor.  

I'm not some door kicker, I know my place.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 10:13:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WillieTangoFox] [#17]

View All Quotes

Interesting.

I own concealable soft armor, and have spent a lot of time having to wear armor in the past. I got caught a few times only wearing the carrier, due to heat, and ditching the panels. Lol. Worth it.

I have zero plans to use hard armor in any context in the future, so I dont have any time with webbing with hard armor carriers.

I kind of find it hard to conceptualize a field use case for myself, just based upon my own limited scope of experience. I am not walking anywhere wearing armor, webbing and a ruck. That is 100% certain.

Shootindave gets too hot and thirsty. I view affective maneuvering to be 1000% more life saving than armor in my own context.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I just ordered a second DZ rig.
It will be set up exactly as my first, as photos and contents show on page 54 of this thread.
I have the Crossfire CF3 and one of my medium ALICE packs set up with typical ruck contents to go with this rig.

The new DZ rig is going to be an experiment by adding a Haley Strategic “Heavy” chest rig (stock photo shown)
an their Flat Pack.
The chest rig will be good to add extra 25 round 7.62 mags and some commander pouch items, without adding much bulk or coverage in the heat.
Reason for wanting to run the little extra gear in the chest rig is because I use 2 of the belt rig mag pouches for IFAK and food items.

The Flat Pack will allow just enough shelter items and miscellaneous gear storage without the size and weight of a ruck.

I would be more than comfortable in anything except the most extreme conditions/situations for at least 4 days and still be mobile enough without having to drop any gear unless caught in a rip tide. LOL

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Been meaning to post back in here for a while, Here's the load out I've been using lately with my DZ rig for hiking and training with buddies.

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BlackHills:
Been meaning to post back in here for a while, Here's the load out I've been using lately with my DZ rig for hiking and training with buddies.

https://i.imgur.com/aD7Tjvh.jpeg
View Quote

What’s the black thing between the kit and the Glock? Trigger guard cover so you can put the Glock in a mag pouch?
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#21]

What’s the black thing between the kit and the Glock? Trigger guard cover so you can put the Glock in a mag pouch?
View Quote

Basically. Raven concealment vanguard, or equivalent, just a kydex snap-on trigger guard with a lanyard attached for mexican IWB carry. Trigger guard pops off on the draw, snap it back on to re-holster.

They even make light-bearing versions that are basically universal, great for this application.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#22]

If you are going to be wearing your belt kit predominantly with armor, it seems that wearing it under armor is the way to go?

But that's from observations - I don't personally wear it with armor though.  If I'm going to armor up, it's because I'm either permanently static or full on vehicle ops.  And I'm going slim-line.  

I got back into belt kit specifically to deal with overheating issues in the hot, humid summer in the SE.  Which means no armor.  

I'm not some door kicker, I know my place.
View Quote

Makes sense.

I figure armor makes the most sense when moving in urban areas, where camouflage is basically nonexistent, save for the trash ghillie suit, or “grey man” attire, if applicable.

Soft armor would be weather/exertion and threat dependent; I figure if you’re going overt, your primary threats will probably be rifles, so soft armor may just be a waste of weight/exertion/annoyance. May be different in cities, it’s all relative.

The moment camouflage becomes a viable option, it’s a better option than armor, IMO. A ghillie hood/poncho and/or camo netting weighs a lot less than rifle plates, and gives you more options than armor.

And when it comes to weight investment, a bump helmet and nods are a lot more useful than armor, and moving at night makes your camouflage exponentially more effective
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Basically. Raven concealment vanguard, or equivalent, just a kydex snap-on trigger guard with a lanyard attached for mexican IWB carry. Trigger guard pops off on the draw, snap it back on to re-holster.

They even make light-bearing versions that are basically universal, great for this application.
View Quote

Yup.  I do similar, though mine is a full AIWB holster that is paracorded to STAY in the mag pouch.  Same idea though, either one works.  It allows me to quickly swap out the holster / glock for more magazines or more support gear.  AND let's me use the pistol concealed should I need to roll that way after dropping the belt kit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Makes sense.

I figure armor makes the most sense when moving in urban areas, where camouflage is basically nonexistent, save for the trash ghillie suit, or “grey man” attire, if applicable.

Soft armor would be weather/exertion and threat dependent; I figure if you’re going overt, your primary threats will probably be rifles, so soft armor may just be a waste of weight/exertion/annoyance. May be different in cities, it’s all relative.

The moment camouflage becomes a viable option, it’s a better option than armor, IMO. A ghillie hood/poncho and/or camo netting weighs a lot less than rifle plates, and gives you more options than armor.

And when it comes to weight investment, a bump helmet and nods are a lot more useful than armor, and moving at night makes your camouflage exponentially more effective
View Quote

Ya, it's all a balancing act, pros and cons.  Which is why I like the option of belt kit.  AND full armor - I've got the full armor setup, all the  'cool guy HSLD' stuff.  Which I basically never use, as I'm rural and have little need for it.  Heck, I work from home and don't even get into my little rural town more than once a week.  I don't get off the mountain more than maybe twice a year.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Yup, this was a cheapish one I picked up off Amazon a while back, works great for this application.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Ah, very good idea.  Remember that FN dude at the SHOW awhile back?
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Ya, it's all a balancing act, pros and cons.  Which is why I like the option of belt kit.  AND full armor - I've got the full armor setup, all the  'cool guy HSLD' stuff.  Which I basically never use, as I'm rural and have little need for it.  Heck, I work from home and don't even get into my little rural town more than once a week.  I don't get off the mountain more than maybe twice a year.
View Quote

Full armor and being able to fight in it is still important, but being able to patrol, recon, move out to LP/OPs and sustain yourself without becoming a heat casaulty is also important.

Probably 90% of what civilians will do in a SHTF situation is going to be recon related as we attempt to gather intel and figure out what the Hell is going on so we can make smart choices.   Direct Action type stuff is still a capabilty we want and it's a capability that takes a lot of training to have proficiency in so it can't be ignored, but yeah it's definitely not going to be the bulk of what most of our country folks do should the unthinkable happen.

Big plus one for staying on your mountain. If I wasn't married I probably barely going into my little rural town.   Hell, I'm trying to convince my wife to move to a island that is only accessible by ferry and has just 650 people on it with massive acres of woods.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Suggest "location" be carefully considered.  All is well until emergency medical services are required.

For instance, the "Survivalist Guru" Mel Tappan (RIP) died from a heart attack in part due to his remote location at the time.  He was also quite overweight, and likely suffering from diabetes.

It's a "balancing" act for all of us.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

Probably 90% of what civilians will do in a SHTF situation is going to be recon related breaking contact and / or running away.
View Quote

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Suggest "location" be carefully considered.  All is well until emergency medical services are required.

For instance, the "Survivalist Guru" Mel Tappan (RIP) died from a heart attack in part due to his remote location at the time.  He was also quite overweight, and likely suffering from diabetes.

View Quote

I'd rather die on my mountain of a heart attack than live in the city or the suburbs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

That's a major consideration for sure even for guys in excellent health.  I've seen young guys in good shape go down as heat casualties, but luckily there was a whole support system of guys to help them and easily accessible medical care for them.  Especially for heat casualty stuff you never know how that's going to impact someone.  I remember I had a touch of heat stroke and it it hit me pretty suddenly and before I knew it I went from fine to vomiting after having tried to counter it by chugging gatoraid and getting dizzy followed by the worse headache I've ever had.  That happened to me after a day of track practice in 100 degree heat back in high school and I was in top shape.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2024 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#32]

That's a major consideration for sure even for guys in excellent health.  I've seen young guys in good shape go down as heat casualties, but luckily there was a whole support system of guys to help them and easily accessible medical care for them.  Especially for heat casualty stuff you never know how that's going to impact someone.  I remember I had a touch of heat stroke and it it hit me pretty suddenly and before I knew it I went from fine to vomiting after having tried to counter it by chugging gatoraid and getting dizzy followed by the worse headache I've ever had.  That happened to me after a day of track practice in 100 degree heat back in high school and I was in top shape.  

View All Quotes

I recall marching in Colonial era wool regimental coat, and black wool tricorn hat, in Bristol RI Independence Day Parade.  Many of the troops had not brought canteens or re-filled theirs prior to emptying them.  Repeated warnings were given on the subject.  I gave away all my canteen of water.  

On finishing the parade, I was mystified at how "chilly" I felt, even while wearing the soaking wet wool coat--and tricorn hat.

Fortunately, I realized what was happening, and took appropriate measures.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:21:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#33]
"Rain Shirts", anyone?  And a lot more.

Outdoor Research Flash Sale; ends today (7/17/2024).  See Allies Microgravity Jacket

ETA: As of 0830 18 JULY, sale still ongoing see HERE
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#34]
"Rain Shirts", anyone?  And a lot more.

Outdoor Research Flash Sale; ends today (7/17/2024).  See Allies Microgravity Jacket

View Quote

Thank you very much, I needed a new shell in ranger green.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 1:45:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2apatriot] [#36]
I picked up one of the surplus USMC first aid kit pouches to try out on my belt kit that Mardsdorff made. I really like this pouch, its plenty big enough to hold a trauma kit, and have a little room to tuck some boo boo kit items in the back. Its actually a pretty great pouch and I think I'm going to pick up a few more because they're cheap. If it just had 2 zippers and some shock cord to keep it from opening all the way it would be perfect.

Attachment Attached File

This is to show how much it hangs over. The pouch is 3 columns wide, and I have it mounted on a 2 column space.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Some of those surplus pouches are legit nice for the money.

How are those Dutch ammo pouches working out?  Getting everything dialed in?
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

They work pretty good, but they are deep and the skirt on the top is really tall. It makes reloads slow. I thought about cutting the skirt from around the top on one since I have extras. I should take some pics tomorrow. I did some dryfire with the rig on today and walked about a mile on the treadmill. I really like it and the way I currently have it set up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Hey is anyone looking to make a purchase from Jay Jays in the UK in the near future and would be willing to order something for me and I can reimburse you?  I need one of JayJays MOLLE Double Ammo Pouch sets, but I don't want to pay the shipping for just one item.  I'd be happy to chip in on the shipping as well.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:57:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#40]
Originally Posted By 2apatriot:

They work pretty good, but they are deep and the skirt on the top is really tall. It makes reloads slow. I thought about cutting the skirt from around the top on one since I have extras. I should take some pics tomorrow. I did some dryfire with the rig on today and walked about a mile on the treadmill. I really like it and the way I currently have it set up.
View All Quotes

You "might" consider using strips of sticky-back Velcro to secure the extension/skirt to the body of the pouch.  One strip for the skirt; one strip for the body of the pouch.  Both strips (male and female) as long as possible for best retention.  Likely most easily done by turning entire pouch inside out first.  Clean areas to which Velcro will be applied with alcohol first and allow to dry before installing Velcro.  Your call on where to install male/female Velcro for when Velcro is disengaged, and "skirt" is fully deployed.

Closed cell foam items (with drain hole punched into them) on bottom of pouch as appropriate.  Can secure these items together (e6000 adhesive) and secure ensemble with sticky back Velcro also.  Alternatively, more expensive "Ranger Plates" from Magpul can be used.

If body of mag pouch is too loose for your application, wrap it (2x) with some shock cord, install a push-button barrel-lock adjuster, and adjust length of shock cord so that the shock cord prevents rattling of mags when ONE mag is removed from the pouch (2 mags still inside pouch), and trim shock cord accordingly.  Install barrel lock adjuster, and tie ends of shock cord to prevent loss of barrel lock, which should wind up being off to the side of the pouch.

@2apatriot
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 4:10:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2apatriot] [#41]
You "might" consider using strips of sticky-back Velcro to secure the extension/skirt to the body of the pouch.  One strip for the skirt; one strip for the body of the pouch.  Both strips (male and female) as long as possible for best retention.  Likely most easily done by turning entire pouch inside out first.  Clean areas to which Velcro will be applied with alcohol first and allow to dry before installing Velcro.  Your call on where to install male/female Velcro for when Velcro is disengaged, and "skirt" is fully deployed.

Closed cell foam items (with drain hole punched into them) on bottom of pouch as appropriate.  Can secure these items together (e6000 adhesive) and secure ensemble with sticky back Velcro also.  Alternatively, more expensive "Ranger Plates" from Magpul can be used.

If body of mag pouch is too loose for your application, wrap it (2x) with some shock cord, install a push-button barrel-lock adjuster, and adjust length of shock cord so that the shock cord prevents rattling of mags when ONE mag is removed from the pouch (2 mags still inside pouch), and trim shock cord accordingly.  Install barrel lock adjuster, and tie ends of shock cord to prevent loss of barrel lock, which should wind up being off to the side of the pouch.

@2apatriot
View Quote

Thanks for the idea, for now I just folded them down and I'll do so dry practice to see how they work. I also definitely need to add the shock cord too.

Attachment Attached File

This mag is sitting on top of the other mags for reference. I didn't have any kind of ruler or tape handy.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Thanks for the idea, for now I just folded them down and I'll do so dry practice to see how they work. I also definitely need to add the shock cord too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/361805/IMG_4021_jpeg-3272186.JPG

This mag is sitting on top of the other mags for reference. I didn't have any kind of ruler or tape handy.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/361805/IMG_4022_jpeg-3272189.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/361805/IMG_4023_jpeg-3272190.JPG
View Quote

Oh man, those have a drawstring liner in them - the ones I got didn't come with that.  Weird.  

Try putting a little block of hard foam or some other non-water absorbing material that's lightweight under the mags, pushing them up a little.  

Definitely add shock cord  - should be easy enough to add a piece of webbing across the back between the molle, with a loop on both end.  Then sew that piece of webbing down along the outer edge seam of the pouch.  You wouldn't need to sew much there, as the webbing would be one piece.  Then you could jerry-rig a similar bungie cinch system as what the Diz rig has.  It'd be pretty easy to do.  I can send you pictures of how to do it.  

If you can get the mags to sit up a little right and add bungie to those, they look like they'd work fine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 9:16:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diz] [#43]
Wow, now that's what I call design by committee, and specifically the Sgt Maj, the Supply Sgt, and Supply Officer.  And probably a bean-counter in there somewhere.  Who in the fuck else would put a fucking skirt around your mags!?  Not that you might want to get one of them out of there, in a hurry, nooooo; you have to make sure the troops don't lose any and they stay nice n clean.   Fuckin' Dutch.  Jeez.  

For the love of God, cut those fucking things out of there man!
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#44]
"For the love of God, cut those fucking things out of there man!"  Diz

Certainly, an alternative but my inclination is to attempt to avoid irreversibly modifying gear, if that path makes sense for the user.

Link Posted: 7/21/2024 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I almost told him to cut out the drawstring liner, but I think he eventually wants to replace the ammo pouches with nicer ones in the future, so I didn't want to say that.

If you do decide to keep them, I would cut out that liner for sure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I have 6 of them and I think they were only $15 for 2 so I might as well try cutting it out and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I have 6 of them and I think they were only $15 for 2 so I might as well try cutting it out and see how it goes.
View Quote

Just take your time and go slow.  It doesn't need to be perfect.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 2:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#48]

Just take your time and go slow.  It doesn't need to be perfect.
View Quote
It's easy.  Turn pouch inside-out, and using sharp scissors, cut the "skirt" as close as you can.  Using a Bic lighter, sear the remnants (1/16" or less) of the "skirt" still attached to the body of the pouch.  Done right, you will never know it was there.  Save all materials for future projects.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 3:55:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wsix] [#49]

Try putting a little block of hard foam or some other non-water absorbing material that's lightweight under the mags, pushing them up a little.  

View Quote

I'd put something useful under it myself. Socks, a balaclava, can of sardines, whatever. We used to put tabs on magazines made of 550 cord, 100mph tape, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

What do you guys use with the shelf for padding? The frame beats on my bones when it's just straps and a shelf.
Page / 79
Velocity Systems Jungle Kit (Page 74 of 79)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top