Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2024 12:19:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac]
Handled a S&W M&P 12 this morning and was surprised at how well it handled for me.
So, now I'm seriously thinking of picking one up, but the only thing holding me back is I don't see a good way to attach a WML where the switch would be easily accessible (I'd be leaving the front vertical grip on and using MBUS instead of an optic).
There are M-Lok slots on the barrel shroud, so attaching the WML itself isn't an issue, it's finding an acceptable way to activate the darn thing!
Any suggestions? All input welcome, thx!
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're going to use the VFG with a full wrap around grip, you could do a remote tape switch and secure it to the VFG with a piece of bicycle inner tube or some wraps of tape.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:
If you're going to use the VFG with a full wrap around grip, you could do a remote tape switch and secure it to the VFG with a piece of bicycle inner tube or some wraps of tape.
View Quote

That's my initial plan as well but am hoping to find something that doesn't require the WML cable to be racking back and forth w/the action.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:34:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#3]
Picked up the M&P 12 this morning and threw some odds and ends on it, worked out surprisingly well.
It's a bit of an awkward stretch to reach the Olight PL Turbo's switch w/my support thumb, but it's quickly doable.
If I could find an M-Lok offset mount of some kind that would drop the Olight down a bit more, that would help, but the M&P's M-Lok slot angle makes that problematic (ex: The Streamlight factory offset M-Lok mount simply won't work on the M&P 12).
I'll still be open to other WML options for the M&P 12, but at least this is workable despite its limitations.  

Attachment Attached File

ETA: I was not happy w/the M-Lok cantilever light mount, the light would flex under pressure (thin barrel shroud?) so I tried a Magpul Rail Mount for picatinny/scout/1" lights and normally attaches to a side rail to position the light at 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock.
However, I got the bright idea to mount it to the M&P 12's top optic rail and it's worked out nicely w/the Olight much better secured than w/the M-Lok mount.
It's still a bit of an awkward stretch to reach the Olight's switch, but at least I can do so w/o completely removing my support hand from the vertical grip. Short of using a remote switch on the vertical grip, I'm unaware of any better setup for the M&P 12.

Magpul Rail Light Mount

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:07:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#4]
I have the Streamlight HLX Pro on all my rifles and wanted something similar for the M&P 12. Went with the similar peformance Streamlight HLX because of the dual tailcap setup; a dedicated clicky tailcap and a captive remote tailcap (so no remote plug to back out of the port from 12ga recoil ).

Initially I'd planned on trying the remote on the vertical foregrip, but the latching remote switch is too long and the grip itself is contoured in such a way as to make attaching a flat remote switch very difficult w/o resorting to a permanent adhesive.
Then, remembering a remote placement experiment I'd tried on one of my X95's, I tried the remote switch on the left side of the foregrip. Due to the length of the switch, there was only one possible way to place & orient the switch.
I would have preferred a less textured area and a shorter switch so it could be mounted parallel to the mag tube, but this turned out surprisingly well.

Cable management was another possible problem, but it worked out very nicely with a small zip tie loosely holding the cable close to the barrel shroud. After some dry firing I have no concerns about the cable snagging or wearing when cycling the action.
This is an experiment, only time will tell if this configuration is worth keeping. If it isn't, my only other option I can think of is to replace the remote tailcap w/the clicky tailcap then take my hand off the front grip to reach the switch.
For anyone who plans on mounting a WML on an M&P 12 I strongly suggest using a mount that attaches to the M&P 12's top optic rail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Another update!
Using the Streamlight TLR RM2 works better for me than the HLX. It's centered over the bbl w/no shadow, lighter than the HLX and the remote switch is easily accessed (tap for constant-on, hold for momentary-on). It does intrude slightly at the bottom of the PA SLx 1x prism's FOV but not enough to bother me (ymmv).

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top