Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2024 12:48:14 PM EDT
I was thinking of getting my 22 stash in order before the upcoming election (pricing and availability are sure to go up this fall). What’s a good to buy in bulk?  I’m looking at SGammo.com   They are my go to for ammo.  Looking at getting 3000-5250 rounds at 6-8 cents per round.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:58:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#1]
Wouldn't you first determine what 22LR ammo YOUR firearm likes?  Buy that kind.

Personally, I deep stack Federal Auto Match
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Aguila for blasting

Last sale at ammo planet was like $.04-.05 a round delivered

Keep eye on fathers day deals, July 4, etc
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
Wouldn't you first determine what 22LR ammo YOUR firearm likes?  Buy that kind.

Personally, I deep stack Federal Auto Match
View Quote

That’s a great question!   I only have a Smith and Wesson M&P 22 currently that I usually run as a suppressor host with a Gemtech 22 can.  That 22 probably won’t be my last though.  Just thinking ahead so I don’t have to deal with 2012 type neck bearding of that caliber again.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#4]
CCI 40gr Blazer is pretty good for accuracy and price.  Pretty clean as well.  That is over half of my 50k stash.  I know amateur numbers!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:
I was thinking of getting my 22 stash in order before the upcoming election (pricing and availability are sure to go up this fall). What’s a good to buy in bulk?  I’m looking at SGammo.com   They are my go to for ammo.  Looking at getting 3000-5250 rounds at 6-8 cents per round.
View Quote

Check Palmetto...they usually have lots of sales on .22lr
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatever shoots best in your firearms.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mr45acp2u:
CCI 40gr Blazer is pretty good for accuracy and price.  Pretty clean as well.  That is over half of my 50k stash.  I know amateur numbers!!
View Quote

Great suggestion!   Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 2:08:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Useafortyfive] [#8]
My M&P 22 has cycled just about anything. But it’s not the last 22 I’m going to own.

In general… what is mostly reliable?   Not firearm specific.  
I’m thinking something CCI but Federal and Winchester in bulk is probably good to go.  Not doing Remington gold boolits.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#9]
No Thunderbolt
No Remington
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]
CCI
Aguilla
Fiochi
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
My M&P 22 has cycled just about anything. But it’s not the last 22 I’m going to own.

I’m thinking something CCI but Federal and Winchester in bulk is probably good to go.  Not doing Remington gold boolits.
View Quote

Cci standard velocity
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I like mini mags
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I placed an order with these guys few weeks ago and it went perfectly.

They shipped 5000 rounds of CCI SV to my door for $349

CCI SV
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Dependent on your usage/ purpose. For simple blasting I like aguila and CCI  ( Mexican aguila is better quality than everything made in. The states except CCI)
For more demanding work I use SK pistol match special ,long range or biathlon sport which isn’t really worth the price for general plinking.
I also for running suppressed like CCI standard

Do not waste money on Winchester or Remington, and federal is only marginally better
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:14:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#15]
Originally Posted By PewPewPew1212:
I like mini mags
View Quote

Me too. I just shot a few hundred rounds last week. I was shooting the $6.50/100 box I bought at Walmart a decade ago. It’s $9.99/100 now. I have 11K left.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have Academy Sports in your area, they have Federal Automatch 325 rnds in wht/blk box for $00.07 per round.  It’s good bulk ammo to run in stock type plinking .22’s.  It’s not precision ammo but nothing cheap will be.  If you’re a teacher, first responder, police or military/ ex military, you get an additional 10% until 7/6.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I buy cci standard velocity when I see it available. Automatch is my second choice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Most of my .22s run well with Aguila, which can usually be found cheap. Try a couple boxes first obviously.

You never know. My .22 AR15 SBR loves Magtech .22 and that seems to have a bad reputation. It can be found cheap too.

Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got 1000 rounds of CCI standard velocity from PSA.  20 box limit for whatever reason.   I just got that to keep my Surefire tape switch company as it rides to Ohio.  I’ll buy more this summmer for sure
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I stacked the federal black packs really deep years ago. Usually it mostly in the 10/22  and 22 pistols.

The Cz457 groups it ok, but loves CCI standard and SK rifle match, so i keep a good bit of that too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

In my experience ( plinking with 22’s all the way up to national competition and Olympic tryouts in college over a 40+ year span)

Precision ammo:
Lapua
Mid grade match ammo SK
Economy standard velocity CCI standard
Blasting plinker grade stuff CCI mini mag, AR tactical, blazer
Next best plinker grade aguila high velocity or standard velocity ( aguila’s standard runs a bit faster than most other brands by 50-75 FPS)

If I am desperate and supply is an issue federal.

If it comes down to recent production Remington or Winchester or nothing, I would probably take a break from shooting as yes those two brands are that bad!

The only time I shoot remington or Winchester is if I get it for free, or stumble across older odd lots made 40+ years ago when the quality was pretty good

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:56:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#22]
Wolf/Eley/Lapua for precision

CCI standard for regular shooting

Aguila is ok, even if it does smell like cat piss

I think I have a lifetime supply.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:
If you have Academy Sports in your area, they have Federal Automatch 325 rnds in wht/blk box for $00.07 per round.  It’s good bulk ammo to run in stock type plinking .22’s.  It’s not precision ammo but nothing cheap will be.  If you’re a teacher, first responder, police or military/ ex military, you get an additional 10% until 7/6.
View Quote

My club has nothing but fits with Automatch.  It's garbage in anything other than our bolt guns.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By craig24680:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2024 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#25]
My suppressor stuff likes CCI Standard Velocity. So when I see it for a good price I buy a 5000 round case(s).
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Aguila copper washed are my go to plinkers.  Mini Mag HP is my favorite.

Link Posted: 6/28/2024 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#27]

That’s a great question!   I only have a Smith and Wesson M&P 22 currently that I usually run as a suppressor host with a Gemtech 22 can.  That 22 probably won’t be my last though.  Just thinking ahead so I don’t have to deal with 2012 type neck bearding of that caliber again.
View Quote

For a suppressed MP 15/22, CCI standard velocity.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By captain127:

In my experience ( plinking with 22’s all the way up to national competition and Olympic tryouts in college over a 40+ year span)

Precision ammo:
Lapua
Mid grade match ammo SK
Economy standard velocity CCI standard
Blasting plinker grade stuff CCI mini mag, AR tactical, blazer
Next best plinker grade aguila high velocity or standard velocity ( aguila’s standard runs a bit faster than most other brands by 50-75 FPS)

If I am desperate and supply is an issue federal.

If it comes down to recent production Remington or Winchester or nothing, I would probably take a break from shooting as yes those two brands are that bad!

The only time I shoot remington or Winchester is if I get it for free, or stumble across older odd lots made 40+ years ago when the quality was pretty good

View Quote

I generally agree, but recent Thunderbolts seem ok. I bought a brick a few months back to try cause it was so cheap. It ran in everything I tried it in with decent accuracy. My AR 22 would group 10 into 1.5” @ 50 and TX 22 competition would hold a 10 ring off hand @25. It’s not my first choice for suppressed shooting due to blowback.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Most of my 22’s like match ammo. So when I find it on sale, that’s what I get.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#30]
CCI Standard
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#31]
For plain jane bulk, pretty much anything you can find & afford because even cheap ammo that functions reliability is better than none at all.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Depends on your firearm.

In my case, Remington Golden buckets are perfect.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

hundreds of rounds thru my 10/22 no problem at all
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Standard Velocity
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I go with:
CCI 40g standard
CCI 40g minimag
Aguila 40g HV (lately very waxy)(very stinky)

I just bought 3k of Federal 45g subsonic.
They are copper washed and I wanted to see if they were any cleaner through my suppressors. very quiet and so far reliable in a TX22 and a P322.  

Cheapest place to get minimag shipped by the case has been target sports last time I checked.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By NAM:
Depends on your firearm.

In my case, Remington Golden buckets are perfect.
View Quote
Remington golden bullet in the 1,440 bucket 36 grain.
-Also Aguila 40 grain in bulk
CCI 40 grain in bulk.
Plated, no lead bullets that quicky lead up your barrel rifiling.
40 grain plated bulk 22 LR in bulk is the best.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#37]
As you can see , everybody has a pretty wide choice of what they like.

I like Minimags for reliability and function in most any gun.

I like CCI STD for good general accuracy and the ability to function most semi auto firearms. My one can is a Ruger that fits on my Ruger TD and it loves the CCI STD.

In the past I bought cases of various types of Aguila when it was $12-$15 a brick. Pretty happy with function , accuracy and reliability of most of it and for what I paid for it I feel I got a home run.

Back some time I was buying several varieties of PMC. Zapper was roughly equal to minimags, Scoremaster was about equal to CCI STD

I also got in on WOLF Target Wolf extra and some of the different SK stuff.

I don't see much SK , Wolf , PMC , or Aguila around and when I do the prices are no where close to what I got my pile for.

At various times I was grabbing various Federal 22 ammo.

Recently I picked up some Magtech 40gr Standard velocity $30 a jar of 500. It performed very well, every bit as good as my favorite CCI STD.

Thing to do with 22lr is try all the brands to see what is reliable and accurate in your guns and when you see it priced reasonable grab a bunch.

Presently the place I have gotten reasonable deals is Targetsports. Super fast free shipping on case lots ,membership that you can buy into that gives free shipping on anything and gives you a extra discount (7 or 8%)

Note to OP---Most 22 ammo comes in cases of 5000 , if you find a reasonable deal that is where you should start with , reasonable size and stacks well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#38]
CCI mini mags are great, but I’ve moved away from them because they suppress poorly. Standard velocity is the right balance of quiet with decent velocity for me.

Interesting factoid: CCI standard is just barely subsonic through my integrated barrel.  Almost like it was designed that way.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

If you are shooting suppressed, my advice would be to stock on on CCI standard velocity. It is good suppressed ammo through most if not all 22 hosts.

For general non suppressed shooting/blasting, I like the federal automatch as it again usually runs good in most if not all 22 hosts.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#40]
CCI Standard Velocity has been my most consistent across the board

Federal Automatch is my blasting ammo, and runs in Semi's, but is kinda loud, and has weird feeding issues at times
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#41]
CCI SV & CCI Mini-Mags
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Minimags for little Savage and Federal Automatch for my wife's suppressed 10/22.

It's what they like that's reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Brownells has Aguila High Velocity .22lr for .05 cents per round and free shipping.

Just picked up 6k rds
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Cabelas has Aguila Super Extra 38 grain CPHP for $70 / 1000 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BabaYaga22:
Brownells has Aguila High Velocity .22lr for .05 cents per round and free shipping.

Just picked up 6k rds
View Quote

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/super-extra-high-velocity-22-long-rifle-rimfire-ammo/?sku=105004369

I had a few things in my cart using code GIFT10

and i removed those items and added the ammo and kept the $10 off

so I got 4k rounds shipped for $205

showing odd backorder split on the 38gr 2k cases (my glock 44 eats it like candy) so we'll see

thanks for heads up
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#46]

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/super-extra-high-velocity-22-long-rifle-rimfire-ammo/?sku=105004369

showing odd backorder split on the 38gr 2k cases (my glock 44 eats it like candy) so we'll see

thanks for heads up
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Just picked up 6k rds

thanks for heads up

Me too, it’s showing the cases are back ordered but it’s processing 120 boxes for me. I think we are good to go.

My 10/22 and Ruger MKIV Lite eats this stuff like candy. I know it’s not sub-sonic but it’s great for plinking and still hearing safe with a can. Plus it will stay sub-sonic out of a pistol.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I have gotten good deals direct from CCI, I like Standard for pistol, and mini mags for rifle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Me too, it’s showing the cases are back ordered but it’s processing 120 boxes for me. I think we are good to go.

My 10/22 and Ruger MKIV Lite eats this stuff like candy. I know it’s not sub-sonic but it’s great for plinking and still hearing safe with a can. Plus it will stay sub-sonic out of a pistol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Just picked up 6k rds

thanks for heads up

Shipped and delivered no problem

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#49]

Just picked up 6k rds
View Quote

Thanks. Just grabbed 2k that I didn't need.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#50]
CCI, Aguilar and Norma are my favorites for 22
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top