BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2024 11:03:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher]
Candidates include:

Mini-14/30 - Washington state legal, banned in Canada;

Fightlite SCR - banned in Canada, legal in 49 states, may be legal in Washington w/ Dremel relief of the handguard, status unknown;

SIG MCX Regulator - unknown status in Canada, legal in 49 states, may be legal in Washington w/ Dremel relief of the handguard, status unknown;

Ruger PCC in .40 S&W (out of production) or 9x19mm;

Henry PCC in 9x19mm;

KelTec RDB Survival;

SKS - pinned to 5 rounds in Canada, banned in Washington state;

SVT-40 in 7.62x54R

Johnson M1941 in .30-06

Benelli MR1 rifle in a particular configuration, possibly;

FN FNAR/Browning BAR

M1 Garand - available in most .30-06 & .308 based cartridges from .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, .270, .308, .30-06, and up into the .338s & larger.  Up to an 8 round en bloc clip, think it's still legal in Canada for car carry & hunting - let's confirm w/ @FluffytheCat  Still legal in all 50 states for now, available from 16" on out, though Canada will require an 18" barrel.  Not in production but generally available in both countries.  Aftermarket rails available for red dots & LER optics.

M1 Carbine - mostly available in .30 Carbine, 110 grn @ 1900 fps, 18" barrel is Canada legal, 5 & 10 round mags are available, not set up for stripper clips, no Canadian 10 round pistol mags.  In production.  A few oddball SCHV cartridges have been made for it.  Aftermarket rails available for red dots & LER optics.

Type 81 pattern - while we can't get new made Chinese ones, nothing to keep us from making it here - I think it's basically a stamped steel SKS w/ AK furniture that takes almost AK mags.  Limited to 5 rounds in Canada, but if made in the US, we could give it a stripper clip guide & run AK mags.  Leave off the bayonet lug & upper handguard, might be Washington state legal w/ a integral pistol grip stock.

AR-180 - available in Canada from Kodiak Defense & BCL, not in the US, uses 10 round AR-15 Canadian pistol mags that may still be available, stamped steel receivers (or Bushmaster made a plastic lower, NoDak Spud made an aluminum), slightly longer than AR-15 length receivers.  A significantly modified version could take stripper clips.  Brownell's AR-180 upper is too short but parts could be stripped & used for a remake.  Again needs an 18" barrel.

BM-59?  Garand derivative, can use expensive Italian mags or be set up with available M14 mags, set up for stripper clips, .308.  Did Washington ban it by name?  An aftermarket Garand forend could be finangled on the front for optics.

Some sort of traditional hunting semi-auto rifle on the lines of the BAR, in .223, 7.62x39, .308, or .30-06, set up for 5-10 round stripper clips?

@Striker
@TriMike
@NachoDip
@mancat
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Also thought of the Ruger PCC that takes 10 round 9mm Glock mags - available in Canada, no evil forend over the barrel in Washington - just a light caliber.

The Henry PCC might work as well, but the takedown feature of the Ruger probably trumps it.

Also, the KelTec 5.56 bullpup w/o the pistol grip and an 18" barrel.  10 round AR mags.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:04:12 AM EDT
[#3]
There are a couple o'three semi auto AR-esq rifles designed/manufactured by Canadian outfits, but... they're very expensive and poorly built.

Won't name names, but my fellow canadian gunnutz know who I'm talking 'boot.

Nooamsayin.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:50:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#4]
Maybe we could invite the freedom-loving politically conservative Canadians to move to the US to help offset the leftist twats we have here. Come enjoy more freedom, fewer leftists, and warmer weather with your neighbors down south.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:40:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NachoDip] [#5]
There are a few mag fed semi autos that are still legal in Washington but the pickings are slim.

The aforementioned M1Garand is fine as it’s not an external magazine.

The Mini 14 still has one legal variant.

The M1Carbine in its original format. (Regular stock. No pistol grip)

I do think I found another option. No one is willing to try it though. I do believe the fight light SCR is legal with a lightly modified handguard. I’m willing to make the handguard as a photo type. It may even be legal in its most basic format too. The handguard is the only area of contention.

The funny part is we can still take our existing guns and make them into SBRs via the NFA. As well as buy suppressors and AOWs.

I am also starting to see more pump action rifles like the Troy Industries PAR in 556 and 308
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Maybe we could invite the freedom-loving politically conservative Canadians to move to the US to help offset the leftist twats we have here. Come enjoy more freedom, fewer leftists, and warmer weather with your neighbors down south.
View Quote

Clever thought, but not really technical man.  Put this in Tech & not GD for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:
There are a few mag fed semi autos that are still legal in Washington but the pickings are slim.

The aforementioned M1Garand is fine as it’s not an external magazine.

The Mini 14 still has one legal variant.

The M1Carbine in its original format. (Regular stock. No pistol grip)

I do think I found another option. No one is willing to try it though. I do believe the fight light SCR is legal with a lightly modified handguard. I’m willing to make the handguard as a photo type. It may even be legal in its most basic format too. The handguard is the only area of contention.

The funny part is we can still take our existing guns and make them into SBRs via the NFA. As well as buy suppressors and AOWs.

I am also starting to see more pump action rifles like the Troy Industries PAR in 556 and 308
View Quote

I think the KelTec Drink Your Own Piss survival bullpup is still legal, as there is no handguard over the barrel.  Don't know if it's legal in Snow Mexico or not.

The SCR might make it by Dremeling off the top of the handguard - but America's Hat banned it b/c AR uppers fit.

The SKS and the Mini-14 were sort of the reliable ban proof rifles - and Washington banned one and the Snow Mexicans another.  

My suggestion would be stripper clip or enbloc clip fed - if you can only have 5-10 rounds, might as well make your standard load light rather than carrying 87 magazines.

Seems as if there's a weird quirk in Canadian law where if they're using AR mags, they can use 10 round AR "pistol" mags & get 10 rounds out of it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Girlieman:
There are a couple o'three semi auto AR-esq rifles designed/manufactured by Canadian outfits, but... they're very expensive and poorly built.

Won't name names, but my fellow canadian gunnutz know who I'm talking 'boot.

Nooamsayin.
View Quote

You're talking about your AR-180 clones that are fabulously expensive, not imported into the US, but take 10 round AR pistol mags?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Clever thought, but not really technical man.  Put this in Tech & not GD for a reason.
View Quote

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a Troy par converted to .458 socom with a 13” barrel that was legal up here…

There’s a few manually operated ar style platforms that are straight pull (British style).

Just off the top of my head:
Fn fbar competition

Sadly we aren’t allowed the ares (?) traditional stocked ar receivers. If they were legal this would be the ticket.

Garands are still allowed 8 rounds legally. I sold mine and regret it.

Fun fact, some belt feds, provided they are classified as non restricted have no belt length limit here… (unless they changed it, I don’t have one so I haven’t followed it)

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:00:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#11]
I’d personally choose a BM59 or BM62.

I think the KelTec Drink Your Own Piss survival bullpup is still legal, as there is no handguard over the barrel.  Don't know if it's legal in Snow Mexico or not.

The SCR might make it by Dremeling off the top of the handguard - but America's Hat banned it b/c AR uppers fit.

The SKS and the Mini-14 were sort of the reliable ban proof rifles - and Washington banned one and the Snow Mexicans another.  

My suggestion would be stripper clip or enbloc clip fed - if you can only have 5-10 rounds, might as well make your standard load light rather than carrying 87 magazines.

Seems as if there's a weird quirk in Canadian law where if they're using AR mags, they can use 10 round AR "pistol" mags & get 10 rounds out of it.
View Quote

What about an SCR lower that has the rear takedown pin relocated to use an upper that’s not compatible with standard ARs? Similar to what HK did on the original euro market MR223.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Forgot one - svt-40 are still legal up here
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I’d personally choose a BM59 or BM62.

What about an SCR lower that has the rear takedown pin relocated to use an upper that’s not compatible with standard ARs? Similar to what HK did on the original euro market MR223.
View Quote

We did have something similar up here. But they banned them…
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

The SCR is a regular plastic m4 style handguard. It’s a simple removal. I was thinking about a modified aluminum FF tube that is milled down and made similar to a regular rifle stock. This is something that would be easy to do. Or even a cheap PSA rail with the top milled off. Lots of ways to do this.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Girlieman] [#15]

You're talking about your AR-180 clones that are fabulously expensive, not imported into the US, but take 10 round AR pistol mags?
View Quote

I'm thinkin' Kodiak Defence and BCL (Black Creek Labs).

I suppose the price is somewhat due to  scale but, man....what shitty rifles when compared to just about any "real" AR.

Creative in getting around Canadian gun laws, but poor in the execution.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By na1lb0hm:  I had a Troy par converted to .458 socom with a 13” barrel that was legal up here…

There’s a few manually operated ar style platforms that are straight pull (British style).

Just off the top of my head:
Fn fbar competition

Sadly we aren’t allowed the ares (?) traditional stocked ar receivers. If they were legal this would be the ticket.

Garands are still allowed 8 rounds legally. I sold mine and regret it.

Fun fact, some belt feds, provided they are classified as non restricted have no belt length limit here… (unless they changed it, I don’t have one so I haven’t followed it)
View Quote

If Garands are still allowed 8 rounds, then an 18" .308 Shuff's Mini G is probably the answer.  Red dot, LER, or offset optic - or all 3.  

The other would be a Bushmaster 180 w/ the now very rare Nodak Spud aluminum lower & 10 round Bushmaster "pistol" mags.  Or the KelTec Pisswater bullpup:

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#17]
How about some more transitional stuff from the 40s era?

Are Johnsons legal in canada?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
How about some more transitional stuff from the 40s era?

View Quote

Yes, but increasingly rare and $$$$ - I think the last one I saw was $3k? Maybe $4?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Girlieman:

I'm thinkin' Kodiak Defence and BCL (Black Creek Labs).

I suppose the price is somewhat due to  scale but, man....what shitty rifles when compared to just about any "real" AR.

Creative in getting around Canadian gun laws, but poor in the execution.
View Quote

Those prices don’t look bad at all. $1500-1600 seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 03RN:  How about some more transitional stuff from the 40s era?

View Quote

FN 49?  SVT 40?  Garands are just easy to get hold of here, easy to convert to .308 or leave original, fairly easy to get chopped to 18", and straight up give an 8 round mag.

Snow Mexicans, are you still able to get the 10 round AR "pistol" mags?  Do they have to be Bushmaster branded, or will any 10 round AR mag do?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:22:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nickel_Plated] [#21]
Keep in mind there are no TRULY 50 state legal rifles in the sense that you could go ANWHERE in the 50 states with it. NYC for example will arrest you for a flintlock in your car. Shit, they'll arrest you for a flintlock in your house. And as a non-resident you ain't getting the necessary licenses to make 'em legal there.

So just remember, there's a big-ass asterisk next to that "50-state legal" moniker.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:  Keep in mind there are no TRULY 50 state legal rifles in the sense that you could go ANWHERE in the 50 states with it. NYC for example will arrest you for a flintlock in your car. Shit, they'll arrest you for a flintlock in your house. And as a non-resident you ain't getting the necessary licenses to make 'em legal there.

So just remember, there's a big-ass asterisk next to that "50-state legal" moniker.
View Quote

Oh, I agree.  What does NY do with out of state hunters on non-resident licenses?  Looks like it's $100 a year, if you have a NYS compliant rifle, might be cheap insurance if traveling to the last of the NE free states, New Hampshire.

And you can add a flintlock addition to your NYS hunting license, what is NYC going to do then?

@Aimless
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Those prices don’t look bad at all. $1500-1600 seems reasonable.
View Quote

Look at one in person.
Shoot one.
Try to get through a little Canadian 3-gun match without it breaking...

When a company's reputation rests on it's warranty service... I get suspicious.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:58:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nickel_Plated] [#24]

Oh, I agree.  What does NY do with out of state hunters on non-resident licenses?  Looks like it's $100 a year, if you have a NYS compliant rifle, might be cheap insurance if traveling to the last of the NE free states, New Hampshire.

And you can add a flintlock addition to your NYS hunting license, what is NYC going to do then?

@Aimless
View Quote

Yes, upstate NYState is one thing. As far as hunting or passing through, you got ways to stay compliant easy enough. No licenses needed for owning long-guns far as I know, unless it's changed recently. So like most other states.

NYCity is it's own fiefdom with it's own licenses. None of your licenses from upstate or any other state mean anything. FOPA doesn't mean anything. You will be arrested. No hunting exception since there isn't exactly anywhere in NYC that you could even hunt. So if you go there, keep it secret or keep it home. And keeping it secret is not exactly a guarantee. What with all the scanners and cameras always watching shit.

Be a shame if the NYPD decided to start quietly bringing these back out on the streets again when you come to visit.

NYPD X-Ray vans.

They were prohibited from using them because, shockingly the NY courts do still seem to sort of care about some constitutional rights. And constantly blasting the public with powerful X-Rays seems like not a super healthy thing to do. But you never know with that place. NYPD loves to find new ways to play KGB with all their secret-squirrel shit.

So yeah, visiting NYC with a gun is not happening legally.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:

Yes, upstate NYState is one thing. As far as hunting or passing through, you got ways to stay compliant easy enough. No licenses needed for owning long-guns far as I know, unless it's changed recently. So like most other states.

NYCity is it's own fiefdom with it's own licenses. None of your licenses from upstate or any other state mean anything. FOPA doesn't mean anything. You will be arrested. No hunting exception since there isn't exactly anywhere in NYC that you could even hunt. So if you go there, keep it secret or keep it home. And keeping it secret is not exactly a guarantee. What with all the scanners and cameras always watching shit.

Be a shame if the NYPD decided to start quietly bringing these back out on the streets again when you come to visit.

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/10/zbvinset.jpg?resize=744,496&quality=75&strip=all

NYPD X-Ray vans.

They were prohibited from using them because, shockingly the NY courts do still seem to sort of care about some constitutional rights. And constantly blasting the public with powerful X-Rays seems like not a super healthy thing to do. But you never know with that place. NYPD loves to find new ways to play KGB with all their secret-squirrel shit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:

@Aimless

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/10/zbvinset.jpg?resize=744,496&quality=75&strip=all

NYPD X-Ray vans.

I'm not sure New York City is still part of the same America I live in, so I don't have a reason to visit.  I left Washington DC, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Marianas, & the Virgin Islands off the list as well.

We're concerned w/ jumping through the hoops of the 50 states & Snow Mexico in this thread, not New York City.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Do they still import any of the Norinco stuff from China to Canada?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:23:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#27]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
Do they still import any of the Norinco stuff from China to Canada?
View Quote

Yep.  SKSs, Type 81s, dunno if the M-14 is still coming in.  All pinned to 5 rnd mags, though, IIUC.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I remember seeing the prices on the M14’s when I was up there about 7-8 years ago and it made me sad.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Yep.  SKSs, Type 81s, dunno if the M-14 is still coming in.  All pinned to 5 rnd mags, though, IIUC.
View Quote

The m14 got hit in the big ban wave. Can’t leave the house with them, can’t shoot them etc.

They were okay rifles frankly - I mean typically we could get them for $450-$600. Sometimes they could be hit and miss, you’d get ones with rough tooling, crooked sights, loose headspace etc, but as the years went on they got better iirc. Early on there were kinda good years and bad years.

We could get 18” or the standard 22”.

There was quite the market here for tuning them. Guys would swap out to aftermarket parts. First to go was always the action rod and spring, then typically a new flash hider to get that sweet sweet ringing, then it would be the rear sight. If you were really lucky you’d score a nice trigger group or a sage ebr off the cgn EE.

We had guys develop the blackfeather chassis, replacement parts galore. The ban killed a lot of small cottage industry up here for them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Striker:

yes and no.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Striker:
FN 49?  SVT 40?  Garands are just easy to get hold of here, easy to convert to .308 or leave original, fairly easy to get chopped to 18", and straight up give an 8 round mag.

Snow Mexicans, are you still able to get the 10 round AR "pistol" mags?  Do they have to be Bushmaster branded, or will any 10 round AR mag do?

yes and no.

That's good to hear.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#32]
the Benelli MR1 should be 50 state and Canada legal: https://bluebookofgunvalues.com/products/benelli-mr1-comfortech-carbine
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By mak0:  the Benelli MR1 should be 50 state and Canada legal: https://bluebookofgunvalues.com/products/benelli-mr1-comfortech-carbine
View Quote

With the upper forward handguard, I don't know that meets the new Washington "AW"B hoops.  Doesn't Canada require 18" barrels on rifles or did that get dropped?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#35]

With the upper forward handguard, I don't know that meets the new Washington "AW"B hoops.  Doesn't Canada require 18" barrels on rifles or did that get dropped?
View Quote

Ready for this?

Yes. To be classified as a non restricted rifle (meaning you can take it out to back 40 to shoot, hunt etc. barrel needs to be 18.6” (or somewhere in there, actual regs are in mm) if it’s a semi auto.

Flash hiders/brakes do not count towards barrel length. It must be a rifled portion. So I can’t have a 14.5” and put a 4.1” flash hider on it and be good.

Furthermore a rifle must be over 660/26.5” long when fully assembled and capable of firing (aka, folding stocks etc) to further fall into the non restricted category.

Flash hiders and brakes NOW do count towards over all length.

Manual action shotguns and centerfires and rimfire firearms are allowed to have a barrel length of less than <18.6” provided the firearm or the barrel was manufactured that way, and not cut down.

So you could have a gunsmith make you a 12” barrel for your tikka, thread it on and as long as your rifle is >660mm you’re good to go and it remains non restricted.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By na1lb0hm:

Ready for this?

Yes. To be classified as a non restricted rifle (meaning you can take it out to back 40 to shoot, hunt etc. barrel needs to be 18.6” (or somewhere in there, actual regs are in mm) if it’s a semi auto.

Flash hiders/brakes do not count towards barrel length. It must be a rifled portion. So I can’t have a 14.5” and put a 4.1” flash hider on it and be good.

Furthermore a rifle must be over 660/26.5” long when fully assembled and capable of firing (aka, folding stocks etc) to further fall into the non restricted category.

Manual action shotguns and centerfires and rimfire firearms are allowed to have a barrel length of less than <18.6” provided the firearm or the barrel was manufactured that way, and not cut down.

So you could have a gunsmith make you a 12” barrel for your tikka, thread it on and as long as your rifle is >660mm you’re good to go and it remains non restricted.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By na1lb0hm:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  With the upper forward handguard, I don't know that meets the new Washington "AW"B hoops.  Doesn't Canada require 18" barrels on rifles or did that get dropped?

Ready for this?

Always funny to see 18.6" PCCs with the irons at the 16" mark b/c that's where they're installed on the US version.

An 18.6" .308 Garand is fairly potent medicine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:44:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flogger23m] [#37]
Although pistol caliber this is probably the best thing that is 50 state and Canada legal, the Ruger PC with 18" or longer barrel.

It appears to be non-threaded. They offer an 18.6" for Canada.

It doesn't look cool but from the sound of it is very functional and reliable.

SIG MCX Regulator should be legal, at least if they make an upper without a muzzle brake:

The SCR should be legal in all states, Canada I am not sure. Does Canada regulate AR uppers as well? With a non-threaded barrel and the lower being serialized this would be legal in all US states. I assume it would be in Canada, though seeing that the upper half is an AR-15 it might not be.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:  Although pistol caliber this is probably the best thing that is 50 state and Canada legal, the Ruger PC with 18" or longer barrel.

https://ruger.com/productImages/19101/detail/1.jpg

SIG MCX Regulator should be legal, at least if they make an upper without a muzzle brake:

https://www.sigsauer.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2f7933e2ff16f0ec074a16ab6b6195f2/m/c/mcx-regulator-762-right-new.jpg

The SCR should be legal in all states, Canada I am not sure. Does Canada regulate AR uppers as well? With a non-threaded barrel and the lower being serialized this would be legal in all US states. I assume it would be in Canada, though seeing that the upper half is an AR-15 it might not be.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/media/gr2nj2ql/fightlite-scr.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=987&height=551&rnd=133220615297900000&quality=60
View Quote

I mentioned the Ruger PCC before, one w/o a covered barrel would be Washington state legal.  The Henry PCC should work as well.

The Ruger LC PCC in 5.7 & .45 fails in Washington b/c the barrel is "shrouded" w/ the forend.  Could probably be Dremeled off, I suppose.

The SIG MCX & SCRs fail both in Canada and Washington state:

In Canada, IIUC, any lower that accepts an AR upper is considered an AR and thus is not readily transportable, and I believe, no longer importable; the SCR takes standard AR uppers, and the MCX takes SIG MCX uppers, which also fit ARs.

In Washington state, both have "shrouded" forends, again, possibly corrected w/ a a Dremel - though Washington state might still consider them ARs as their parts are interchangeable w/ standard ARs, as above.

The Ruger Mini-14 has long been the 50 state legal rifle, but now banned in Canada, and the SKS was the Canadian legal rifle, now banned in Washington state.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 3:53:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Maybe about time the OP is updated to present the top suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 4:00:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#40]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#41]
The SCR in the us seems like the best option so far or the sig thing. Might need to modify handguards. With a short handguard set it still may be legal as even the Mini14 still has a short upper handguard area.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:  The SCR in the us seems like the best option so far or the sig thing. Might need to modify handguards. With a short handguard set it still may be legal as even the Mini14 still has a short upper handguard area.
View Quote

If Washington permits it, perhaps.  Probably have to Dremel off the top of the handguard.  Modern Ruger Mini-14 w/ the aftermarket stripper clip guide might be more straightforward, particularly since Washingtonians don't seem to be able to order many AR parts.

Canada has already banned the SCR and the Mini, so both are no goes up north.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
Maybe about time the OP is updated to present the top suggestions?
View Quote

That's a good idea, I have not yet consumed enough caffeine today to do so.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Updated OP.  If I've missed something post up.

Aimless, is a decent strategy to transit NY state w/ a NY legal semi auto rifle to have a valid NY state non-resident hunting permit?

I've looked, there's no ferries that go directly from NY to Rhode Island or Connecticut, they all stop off in NYC.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#45]

I mentioned the Ruger PCC before, one w/o a covered barrel would be Washington state legal.  The Henry PCC should work as well.

The Ruger LC PCC in 5.7 & .45 fails in Washington b/c the barrel is "shrouded" w/ the forend.  Could probably be Dremeled off, I suppose.

In Canada, IIUC, any lower that accepts an AR upper is considered an AR and thus is not readily transportable, and I believe, no longer importable; the SCR takes standard AR uppers, and the MCX takes SIG MCX uppers, which also fit ARs.

In Washington state, both have "shrouded" forends, again, possibly corrected w/ a a Dremel - though Washington state might still consider them ARs as their parts are interchangeable w/ standard ARs, as above.

The Ruger Mini-14 has long been the 50 state legal rifle, but now banned in Canada, and the SKS was the Canadian legal rifle, now banned in Washington state.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:  Although pistol caliber this is probably the best thing that is 50 state and Canada legal, the Ruger PC with 18" or longer barrel.

https://www.sigsauer.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2f7933e2ff16f0ec074a16ab6b6195f2/m/c/mcx-regulator-762-right-new.jpg

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/media/gr2nj2ql/fightlite-scr.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=987&height=551&rnd=133220615297900000&quality=60

WA's AWB is insane. Never thought I'd say CA's AWB looks "loose" compared to another state. Are SKS with fixed magazines also banned there?
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:

WA's AWB is insane. Never thought I'd say CA's AWB looks "loose" compared to another state. Are SKS with fixed magazines also banned there?
View All Quotes

Yup.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Absolutely. I cannot believe it’s still the law of the land in WA. Totally unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Absolutely. I cannot believe it’s still the law of the land in WA. Totally unconstitutional.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flogger23m:  WA's AWB is insane. Never thought I'd say CA's AWB looks "loose" compared to another state. Are SKS with fixed magazines also banned there?

It's where we are right now, and where Canada is right now.  Not the place to debate inalienable rights, this is a what combination of available technology satisfies the letter of the law thread.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 4:26:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Pics of pristine SKSs about to be shipped to Snow Mexico & some of the Type 81:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/New-SKS-Shipment/5-2726203/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top