Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2024 10:36:15 AM EDT
If you could get a single pvs-14 with relatively high specs or a set of rnvg tubes that are low spec but clean tubes what would be better. I know this is subjective just looking for personal experiences.

Has it benefitted you more have a set of duals even if they are low spec more that a pvs-14 that is a big spec tube.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as we’re talking lower spec gen 3 tubes, I would opt for binos every single time. Pirate eye partying in the dark is ok, but with duals you own the night
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DevilWillCry:
As long as we’re talking lower spec gen 3 tubes, I would opt for binos every single time. Pirate eye partying in the dark is ok, but with duals you own the night
View Quote

So unless there trash tubes your saying even lower end duals is better than a high end signal tube because of increased field of view?

Reason I’m asking is I’m not a rich person and even though I have good reasons for wanting night vision ( live on 200 acres in rural Kentucky) I can’t afford or justify $10,000 tubes plus all the supporting gear. So duals on the low end run $5000 used to $8,000 new for low fom tubes. Is that gonna suit me better than a high spec siingle tube with let’s say 2400-2500 fom and maybe 33-34 snr. I’m talking all white phosper too cause green kills my head.

Something I’m looking at too if I go single tube is adding a micro thermal head mounted optic with the pvs-14 at a later date. With no experience I have no idea how that would work out for me and if dual tubes with a thermal on a rifle would be better.

I know it would be but again I’m not rich and I have to justify the money for more than just being used as a toy.

Keep in mind I may be using this to drive a sxs on the farm at night to sneak up on trespassers and thieves. Which I know the answer to that is dual tubes. I know. Again I don’t want to spend $5,000 on used and $$8,000 on new bottom end tubes to be dissatisfied. Cause I’m willing to bet that selling $8,000 dual tube night vision isn’t as easy to unload as an ar-15 on the ee
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Do you know exact specifications?
View Quote

I can give you an idea cause I’m looking at your tubes. I’m looking at the pvs-14 high spec wp3 tubes with 2300 min fom
And for duals the manticore or arnvg tubes cause I really like the idea of manual gain.

Maybe you can talk me out of manual gain. I see you’ve running katanas for a while.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 1:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MunnyShot] [#5]
It really depends on your main use. If you're going to be wearing it for an extended amount of time, your want something light weight/packable, you want a battery you can find any where in world, a PVS14 is the way to go. Also buying new with a warranty trump buying a used unit hoping you're not flushing 4K plus down the toilet should something go wrong.

A friend just bought the same unit you're looking at from JRHEnterprises /Robert a few weeks ago and he's so happy with it he's literally waiting for the sun to go down every day just to use it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 1:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevilWillCry] [#6]
Originally Posted By countrygunner:

So unless there trash tubes your saying even lower end duals is better than a high end signal tube because of increased field of view?
View Quote

It’s not just FOV, it’s the whole experience. Monos are harder to use for most people, because you should run the gain way  low to assist your unaided eye. To anyone who doesn’t use NODS every night, duals are going to be a lot more user friendly. Price is always an issue with these things. Have you thought about building them yourself? May not even be worth it currently. When Omni contracts expire, the market is temporarily saturated and that usually means some decent priced tubes. Buy while we’re  on the subject of builds, even if you don’t build it yourself you could start with a MOD 3 mono pod. That’s a system you can build a single pod at a time. Not my favorite bino housing, but definitely the easiest on the wallet. Honestly it’s how I made my entry into duals, and now I have a Gucci setup I could never afford now
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 2:32:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#7]
Lower Spec Binos because *for me* no depth perception sucks. I did a lot with Sionyx Auroras before my BNVD-SGs w/SLH Tubes, so lower spec wouldn't worry me for my area/use cases. But do you live in the middle of nowhere with continuous tree cover year round? Sooo situation dependent per user.

The one caveat would be the now pretty much "must have" Thermal solution - can you also afford a COTI? If not, Dual Band with an MH/RH etc... and a 14 is the (maybe better?) alternative.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#9]

As for ARNVGs we have sets in stock with Unfilmed WP and high grade YH thin filmed WP
Best unfilmed WP set currently in stock has FOM of 2700 and 2650 with 37.5 SN and 36.8 SN
View Quote

Those are some nice numbers
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#10]
One thing with a lower spec Bino is you can use an IR light and it’ll brighten up what you’re looking at.   I’d say mount an IR light on your mule and go riding around.  

Even with Binos, it still looks like you are looking through a single toilet paper role, only now both eyes see it and your brain can comprehend it better.   I notice it a lot more when running.   Otherwise, a mono isn’t bad.

As far as the thermal, I would suggest if you get Binos, just use a handheld thermal and rotate a pod up to look through it when you need to.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 4:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MunnyShot] [#11]

We are starting to get low on the PVS14 WP3 high grade with M23H tubes.

As for ARNVGs we have sets in stock with Unfilmed WP and high grade YH thin filmed WP
Best unfilmed WP set currently in stock has FOM of 2700 and 2650 with 37.5 SN and 36.8 SN

The best ARNVG  with YH high spec thin filmed WP in stock is going to come in at 2404/2563 with slightly cleaner tubes than the UF set above.

Feel free to reach out with any questions via email, PM or phone.
View Quote

Mannnn, with numbers like that upgrading to new binos just moved up to the top of the list. My "Black Ops Fund aka money wifey doesn't know about" is about to be used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top