Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2018 4:36:07 AM EDT
I've got the urge for a compact 5.56mm silencer for my recently approved SBR. And before all the comments on how "loud" mini cans are or how I need to get a .30 cal cans for multiuse... I've got .30cal silencers, 3 of em; Q Full Nelson (Yuge), 762-SD (Big), 762-SDN-6 (Medium). Problem is, I never realized how bulky my silencers were until I really got a chance to handle this small SBR. Even the 762-SDN-6 at ~7.5" is a bit too large for my liking and I find myself shooting more either unsuppressed or with the flash-can on it. So I started looking at mini-cans and was playing around with a picture I had of my rifle and seeing what it looks like with a compact can it.

I found a few, what's the consensus on what I should do? Any other suggestions?

The AAC Mini-4 is the most appealing to me right now... shortest OAL (5.25") and shortest length added (2.8").
Plus, I already have a couple 5.56mm rifles with 51T mounts due to the 762SD and N6 I already own.

The Dead Air Sandman-K is a pretty sexy choice, only a hair longer than the Mini-4 but also a bit lighter.
Not to mention the Key Mount is a bit more modern (better) and it's about $50 cheaper, too.
On the downside, it would mean a new set of mounts for my 5.56mm rifles, so that's a bit of a logistical hit for me.
And being a .30cal can doesn't matter because all of my .308 guns have incompatible Q-taper or 51T mounts

The Griffin M4SDK catches my eye because the A2 compatible mount is pretty cool, but it's both the longest AND heaviest.
It's also the most expensive, and I'm not sure I want to spend $750 on it versus a smaller/lighter Dead Air or the AAC.

The SiCo Saker 556k looks alot on paper like the M4SDK, although it might be even a little longer with mount.
But I think also pretty expensive compared to the AAC and Dead Air, too.

Here's my 11.5" SBR with my smallest silencer I have (762-SDN-6) and I did a little cropping just to simulate:
That 10.5" with the baby can is pretty f'in sexy... I might have to migrate to 10.5" is I get something tiny.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:00:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I would spend the money on your AR, its got that weird carry handle thing on it still.... Do you even flat-top bro?

No seriously though as far as suppression how in that Q?

I've played with the Specwar K, Saker K and I've been around when the Sandman K(HPA) was getting broke-in. My vote is for the Saker K, it has a different pitch that makes it more pleasant to be around.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:13:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would spend the money on your AR, its got that weird carry handle thing on it still.... Do you even flat-top bro?

No seriously though as far as suppression how in that Q?

I've played with the Specwar K, Saker K and I've been around when the Sandman K(HPA) was getting broke-in. My vote is for the Saker K, it has a different pitch that makes it more pleasant to be around.
View Quote
Dude... that Q Full Nelson is downright nasty quiet. And light. It makes full power .308 from my 20" Rem700 sound like a supersonic .300blk AR with the full size 762-SD (pic below). I shot a .308 168gr SMK subsonic out of that 20" bolt gun and it was so startlingly quiet I had to pull the bolt and check for a squib. The 308 subs through that Q Full nelson make the .300blk AR15 with 220gr subs though the 762SDN-6 and 762-SD sound disappointingly loud.

I love slick side A1, especially with an ACOG nestled in there. IMO, it's the epitome of a KISS defensive carbine. No batteries, no cowitness or QD mount to worry about. Simple, light, and sleek. I liked it so much, I did a matching .300blk upper (with pistol gas hidden under the handguards). Although it still needs a TA44 to really be a matching upper.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#3]
My vote would be for the Sandman K given your requirements.

The Sandman K is short, light, and very maneuverable in the confines of a home. It’s built tough and had a great mounting system. It’s not great at suppressing 5.56mm but I just need it to take some bark out of the round. I like mine a lot.

That said, my Griffin M4SD-K sits on my 11.5” BCM home defense rifle. It has better sound suppression than the Sandman K for the round, is light enough, and I actually really like the gate latching system. Given the increase in weight and length of the M4SD-K compared to the Sandman K, however, you’ll definitely know you’re swinging around a suppressor at the end of your barrel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Rugged Micro 30 may be worth a look.

Modular can with 6.5" full length and 5" K configuration.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I will say I'm biased to griffin being fairly new to suppressors, and having the m4sd. Which I'm VERY pleased with, for what it is.

Looking at the spec sheet, comparing the K to the regular...

The K is 3oz and an inch (roughly) smaller. While only 1db louder.

Handling the full size, I barely notice it. So it balances well, doesn't add too much length (on a 16" barrel), and sounds like a 22WMR.

I figure if you stick the K on a SBR, then you're going to feel it even less (because leverage hanging on the end of the barrel), and even less because of the leveraged forces, you're shorter and lighter.

What's not to win?

It also costs $7 for a set of shims and over travel stop from griffin, to mount on your $10 A2FH. I think their gate works well, I haven't had any issues with it over nearly 2K rounds, and even 500 in one sitting and then letting it sit for a day. It goes right on and off.

Now, to contradict the little bit of fanboy, if you truly want to go small/light, then just like you said the griffin is NOT the way to go. The other guys make them smaller and lighter. They also arguably have more useful muzzle devices when NOT using the can, and those devices probably mount the can more repeatably (I see no difference in POI between mounts of mine, but I'm not precision shooting), so it may be better if you would ever like to use them on a more precision oriented rifle.

At the end of the day, I don't think you, nor I, will notice the difference. The nature of a K can on a SBR has it so easy handling (generally small/light vs a 16+ and regular can). They would all also sound so loud compared to the larger rifle I think the 1db will be negligible.

ETA: op, you're putting 30 cans on a 5.56 SBR. You would probably be pleased enough just to get a dedicated full size 5.56 can!

E.g., the m4sdII is 1.5"x6.6"x17oz. While the sdn6 is 1.5"x7.6"x20oz. Just going to dedicated 5.56 is already saving you an inch and 3oz. That's a lot of handling you get back right there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#6]
For my money it would either be the Sandman or the AAC.

This isn't going to help
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]
First off, I like the idea of a "true" CAR15 or very simliar clone.  I've been fighting the urge to pick up an A1 style upper myself and one of these days get around to a KISS clone in the "IDF" style or XM177,193 configuration.  I"ve never owned one. The thread on that concept here is always inspiring to look at. I was already thinking throwing my Sandman K out front would be sweet since I have one already on hand here.

Now to the suppression suggestion part. Since I only have a sample size of a Sandman K I'm biased there.  All the K cans are louder but you know this already going in so I'd look at all the numbers and go with the one that makes the most fiscal sense.  Remember you can throw the 5.56 cap on the end of the Sandman K preferably the flash hiding one if you really wanted to and keep it a 5.56 only can.  But having that .30 cal option to revert back to is nice if you wind up bouncing this purchase on to something else. You said your current crop of .30 cal can options feel awkwardly long.  You could consider bouncing a Sandman K between your two A1 uppers.  To my ears it's adequate for shooting .300blk subs through and tolerable with the supers and each upper would feel exactly the same with and without the can. You've got better options so you may or may not want to compromise with the .300blk situation but I thought I'd throw that concept out there to consider.

That is how I'd be approaching this decision if I were in your situation.  Also I believe the Mini4 is only rated for a 14.5 or longer barrel (I may be wrong though)  so you may want to double check the bbl length requirements on these proposed options.  I know the Sandmans have zero bbl length restrictions. I think no matter which direction you go here its gonna turn out fantastic looking.

Curious to see how your final project turns out, good luck.

Here's an inspiration video for you.  This is almost exactly what I'd like to do minus the fun switch obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM6PeIO8x3o
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Mini-4 and the M4SDK and  I really like both of them to be honest.  I use both of them mostly on 10.3" and 10.5" barrels.

I do wish the M4SDK was the same size and weight as the Mini-4, so I guess you could say I prefer the Mini-4.  But the M4SDK mounting system is nice because you don't have to use proprietary mounts (but still make sure to use shims for timing A2 flash hiders).

So it's a close call between those two, just depends on what's more important to you.

ETA:  Damn, the link above has the Mini-4 for $470...I haven't been paying attention but that seems like a good price.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I would think the Rugged Micro 30 would be a good choice.  Or the Saker especially with Silencerco sale, might get you a Spectre II for free.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#10]
My choice would be the AAC Mini-4 as you already have some qd mounts.  But if that is not a huge biggy for you then the Saker 556K would be my next choice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Since you have 51T mounts already it just makes sense to buy the mini 4 especially at $470 from gunprodeals. My first can was an N6 since I had several 51T mounts. When I pondered a short 556 can I looked at the mini 4 but never could find it cheaper than $640 so I just went with a saker asr 556k from Hansohn Brothers for $530 and got the 51T MAAD module. In the end I spent basically the same money as I would've for the mini 4 at that time but at least now I have a can that I can run on ASR mounts and 51T mounts
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Surefire Mini is pretty short and their Warcomp is pretty cool.

Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my SpecWar 556K.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Surefire?
I’ll go be poor elsewhere
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Surefire?
I'll go be poor elsewhere
View Quote
Arms Unlimited has great pricing on closeout Surefire cans.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a Sandman K that I am pleased with, but I still find myself looking for a short 5.56 can.

The Saker 556k in direct thread and the OSS Helix-qd 556k are my current interests.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll admit to having pretty limited experience with suppressors and SBRs in general but I can say this, on my 11.5" SBR (in 5.56), I really don't notice any difference in sound when shooting with my Specwar-K vs my Omega.  Sure the Omega probably meters lower but I put earplugs in and they sound the same to me.  If I were doing it right now I'd probably get the Sandman-K because of the awesome mounting system and the Sandman S is also on my list.  The surefire mini and mini-4 would be on my list too due to size.  I like small/light cans, and a 556 SBR is going to be loud either way.  Go short.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I needed to search the “Surefire itch” - snagged a socom mini fde and SF3P for $774

11.5”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing against the Surefire Mini it has a much better mount.  Surefire makes some good cans. I have a couple on order. (Great for clone builds)

But with the AAC Mini-4 being $200 less today. (which happens to be the cost of a stamp).
Weights 1 oz. less, but is .25” longer.
AAC mounts can generally be found for less $. (Which the Op mentioned he has afew already)
Arms unlimited takes forever to fulfill orders (months) or cancels with poor communication. (Hoping for the best on my order)
And I have read the aac is quieter, which might be negligible for its size and depending on barrel length/application.

But its Ops money we are talking about here.  Surefire mini pic thread it is...
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nothing against the Surefire Mini it has a much better mount.  Surefire makes some good cans. I have a couple on order. (Great for clone builds)

But with the AAC Mini-4 being $200 less today. (which happens to be the cost of a stamp).
Weights 1 oz. less, but is .25” longer.
AAC mounts can generally be found for less $. (Which the Op mentioned he has afew already)
Arms unlimited takes forever to fulfill orders (months) or cancels with poor communication. (Hoping for the best on my order)
And I have read the aac is quieter, which might be negligible for its size and depending on barrel length/application.

But its Ops money we are talking about here.  Surefire mini pic thread it is...
View Quote
Yeah I would love to have a Mini4 at that price
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#23]
SF Mini on a 10" and the Saker K MAAD on a 10.3":

Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Maybe it's jisy the photo but the saker K does not look small
View Quote
Cuz of the Trifecta MAAD mount....it's about the same length as an Omega 30 with Direct Thread mount.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Sheeit,  For the OP not sure this thread has helped or made it even a tougher decision lol.  Whatever route you go good luck sir.  Might boil down to just throw the names in a hat, close your eyes and pick one out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sheeit,  For the OP not sure this thread has helped or made it even a tougher decision lol.  Whatever route you go good luck sir.  Might boil down to just throw the names in a hat, close your eyes and pick one out.
View Quote
Lol
Fo sho
I would like to scoop up a M4SD-k sometime
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:38:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Check out the Sig 556 direct thread. It's short and is not compromise quiet at all. Perfect size/weight on a 10.5" 5.56
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Another vote for the Mini 4, I'm very happy with mine

I have an M4SDK and Sandman K on the way as well but no first hand experience yet

11.5"
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a Specwar 556K, really like it. The Saker 556K doesn't seem as good although it does have more options. I would buy another Specwar if they still sold them. I have a Sandman K in jail. Given the current SiCo promo I'm going to get an Omega 30, it's not a K can but it's not as huge or heavy as most.

I did a carbine class with a 11.5" and the Specwar K. It seemed really silent compared to everyone else without a can.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone know how much a Saker 556K with a MAAD 51t weighs and how long it is? Just curious if it is longer or weighs more than the standard set up.

I am rich in 51T mounts. May not be latest and greatest, but they do work.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Had your same question 6 months ago, ended up getting a SakerK w/Keymo mount from Dead Air since I really like the tone and SiCo opened up their mil discount to veterans
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I've been happy with my SakerK.  I use it with direct thread and Keymo.  It's not the lightest but it's a nice size/sound performance ratio.

If I were filling this part of the lineup today I'd be watching for Q releasing their 5.56 can or get a Sandman K.

On an 11.5"
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Some Sandman K pictures.  I'd still like a 5.56 K can as well.  Not sure I 'need' one though.

Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, after more searching I’ve decided on the Mini-4 ... or the m4-2000...

the m4-2000 is is somewhere between the sdn6 I have and the Mini-4 I’m also looking at in both weight/length. but on paper the 2000 is WAY quieter than the mini, like 8-12dB quieter (quieter than the sdn6,too). And usually slightly cheaper than the mini-4, too.

Maybe the M4-2000 is “small enough” compared to my 762-sdn-6 to scratch my itch.

In fact, looking at a spectrum of meter data, it’s one of the best metering 5.56mm cans being beat out by only a couple of much newer or larger cans. Impressive for a silencer that’s been on the market for ~10 years.

Conversely, the mini-4 tests look like it meters as one of the couple loudest 5.56mm silencers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well, after more searching I’ve decided on the Mini-4 ... or the m4-2000...

the m4-2000 is is somewhere between the sdn6 I have and the Mini-4 I’m also looking at in both weight/length. but on paper the 2000 is WAY quieter than the mini, like 8-12dB quieter (quieter than the sdn6,too). And usually slightly cheaper than the mini-4, too.

Maybe the M4-2000 is “small enough” compared to my 762-sdn-6 to scratch my itch.

In fact, looking at a spectrum of meter data, it’s one of the best metering 5.56mm cans being beat out by only a couple of much newer or larger cans. Impressive for a silencer that’s been on the market for ~10 years.

Conversely, the mini-4 tests look like it meters as one of the couple loudest 5.56mm silencers.
View Quote
When I was doing what you're up to a few months back, I ordered an M42K. I don't have it yet, but it sounds like we came to many of the same conclusions.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]
M4-2000 is close to the Sandman S length and weight.

No love for the Sig SRD556 and SRD-556 QD?

6.4" and 11.5oz for the direct thread

6.5" and 14oz for the QD

or the YHM Turbo @ $300

6.5" and 13.5oz with a 135db rating
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
M4-2000 is close to the Sandman S length and weight.

No love for the Sig SRD556 and SRD-556 QD?

6.4" and 11.5oz for the direct thread

6.5" and 14oz for the QD
View Quote
Sandman S is like -27dB as tested by silencershop... m4-2000 was more than -35dB (that’s pretty huge) and the Mini-4 was more then -25dB. The Sandman S performs more comparable to the shorter/lighter Mini-4 than the M4-2000. Sandman S makes no sense for my needs. Maybe if I wanted to put it on a tiny 300blk... but I’m not.

Don’t want a direct thread can on a short AR... especially with that that weird Sig/Q taper thread. If I were interested in direct thread on a short AR, I’d probably go with the Spartan3 and pin it to a 10.5”

I’d also rather stick to a typical 1.5” diameter silencer when lookign for something compact/small. My Q Full Nelson and 762-SD are about the same length (8.9”+/-.1”) and the Q looks way chunkier than the 762sd. It’s 10oz lighter, but it’s pretty giant, too compared to the SD.

The  YHM turbo looks fantastic... I’m tempted. Where you finding for $300? I’m seeing it in the mid $4XX which is the same range as the mini-4 and m4-2000 (that I already 51t mounts on everything to use).
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sandman S is like -27dB as tested by silencershop... m4-2000 was more than -35dB (that’s pretty huge) and the Mini-4 was more then -25dB. The Sandman S performs more comparable to the shorter/lighter Mini-4 than the M4-2000. Sandman S makes no sense for my needs. Maybe if I wanted to put it on a tiny 300blk... but I’m not.

Don’t want a direct thread can on a short AR... especially with that that weird Sig/Q taper thread. If I were interested in direct thread on a short AR, I’d probably go with the Spartan3 and pin it to a 10.5”

I’d also rather stick to a typical 1.5” diameter silencer when lookign for something compact/small. My Q Full Nelson and 762-SD are about the same length (8.9”+/-.1”) and the Q looks way chunkier than the 762sd. It’s 10oz lighter, but it’s pretty giant, too compared to the SD.

The  YHM turbo looks fantastic... I’m tempted. Where you finding for $300? I’m seeing it in the mid $4XX which is the same range as the mini-4 and m4-2000 (that I already 51t mounts on everything to use).
View Quote
Hansohn brothers has the Turbo sub $300
ETA: may be a “add to cart for discount” scenario
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hansohn brothers has the Turbo sub $300
ETA: may be a "add to cart for discount" scenario
View Quote
I think bigman74 is the current coupon code for the best price.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#41]
It's probably not in the budget for the OP, but the new OSS HX-QD 556K is 5.7" (so adds probably just over 5" past the muzzle), and their web site says at the ear it measures:

"
136-140 dB on 20" AR15 DI using commercial grade 55 gr ammo

138-142 dB on 16" AR15 DI using commercial grade 55 gr ammo

142-146 dB on 10.5" AR15 DI using commercial grade 55 gr ammo

"

Numbers from Silencer Shop on a 16" gun at the ear:

-- mini-4 143 DB
-- M4-SDK 141.9 DB
--  regular Saker (not K) 143.7 DB
-- SOCOM 556RC2 143.8 DB

(Source https://modernrifleman.net/suppressors/ )

If the numbers from OSS are accurate it's very possible that on an SBR the HX-QD 556K would be the most quiet at the ear if you care about that (and heat up about half as much, as a bonus).  It's about 15 oz so you may pay a little weight penalty but it's a lot better than it used to be.

------------

ETA: for those of you interested, OSS told me they use the B&K Pulse system for metering.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#43]
SiCo’s 51t mount made the SakerK my choice for a smaller than my SDN6 can. I already had several 51t mounts on various 5.56 guns and thought hard about the Mini4. A good buddy has a Mini4 and I love it for what it is, so I knew exactly what I’d be getting if I went that route. Ultimately I bought my Saker K w/51t because I thought it’d be fun to have something that, while fitting my (and his) existing mounts, is different than what the dude I go shooting with 90% has. FWIW, I think that SiCos implementation of the 51t compatible mounting is superior to AAC’s. So far it has been anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top