Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2024 3:01:51 PM EDT
I have been having a strange malfunction with my x95 where I chamber a round, pull the trigger and hear a *click*.  The next obvious step is tap-rack-bang, but then I look and suddenly I have a double feed somehow.  round in the chamber with a second round trying to feed off the magazine into the chamber as well.  It has happened a couple of times, and with everyone I have handed the rifle to to try out.  

What I think is happening is that if I insert a magazine and rack the charging handle to chamber a round, but I don't slingshot it all the way but short stroke it a bit, what happens is a round feeds into the chamber but the bolt doesn't have the momentum to close fully behind it, thus I pull the trigger and get a *click*.  the real problem here is that since the bolt didn't close on the chambered round, the extractor doesn't grab the round and it doesn't eject, thus inducing a double feed when I apply immediate action.  

So I am wondering if this is something anyone else has encountered or dealt with?  True this is an operator induced malfunction however as I see it, it thus requires a change to the manual of arms to resolve the potential issue.  Rather than "tap-rack-bang", I have been doing "remove mag-rack weapon-insert mag" and it fixes the potential problem but it is kind of weird.  I really wish the weapon had a forward assist.  

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  can it be mitigated with lubrication or something?  Is there a better manual of arms solution?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The only similar problem I encountered w/my X95 was a casing w/o primer flash holes, final symptoms were identical to yours.
I suggest locking the bolt back prior to inserting the mag, chamber the first round w/the bolt release and see if you get the same problem.
If not, then your 'short stroking' may be the problem.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:05:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sticman77] [#2]
had the exact same issue on my SAR 21.  i was short stroking the feed, unless i pulled the charging handle all the way back, then released.

like Tomac has suggested, locking the bolt back, inserting mag, releasing bolt was the easiest consistent way to avoid this (without a lot of training, which i never did on it before i sold it)
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah when i chamber a round from a locked bolt there is no problem.  For starters there is the training issue to it.  Train to rack the charging handle more aggressively and positively.

My thought though is ok so say you have the training in place to mitigate this, it doesnt ensure you wont inadvertently short stroke the rifle when you are stressed to the max and enjoying a total dump of neuro-chemicals.  Also it doesnt give you an indicator of whether or not you screwed this up earlier when you hear a *click*

Im really interested to hear if someone has a manual of arms solution that addresses this possibility as well as the usual type 1 failure in an efficient way.  Personally i tend to think the rifle would be much better if the charging handle was reciprocating, then you could use it as a foreard assist and bash it forward.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:31:33 AM EDT
[#4]
When I first got my X95's, I spent a lot of time at the range just doing mag changes, loading only 5-10rds per mag so I would be forced to change mags frequently thus training myself to make inserting a mag then hitting the bolt release automatic. The only time I use the charging handle now is chambering the first round or during malfunction drills, but focusing on not short-stroking (I will admit I was surprised the first time I worked the charging handle, quite the difference from my AR's).
I must respectfully disagree about a reciprocating charging handle, too many chances it could snag on gear, cover or something painful.
However, a forward assist of some kind wouldn't be bad.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
You know, this talk about the non reciprocating charging handle and not having a forward assist kind of makes me wonder how other rifle platforms address this problem or if it is a similar issue for them as well.  There are a bunch of them that just don't have a forward assist, for these other rifles is the moral of the story simply to just remember to not short stroke the gun?  

This is what makes me also wonder about lubrication as a possible solution.  with more lubrication would the bolt be able to close fully on a chambered round if I short stroked the charging handle?

I have got to believe the IDF has encountered this and figured out a solution.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By semperfikurt:
You know, this talk about the non reciprocating charging handle and not having a forward assist kind of makes me wonder how other rifle platforms address this problem or if it is a similar issue for them as well.  There are a bunch of them that just don't have a forward assist, for these other rifles is the moral of the story simply to just remember to not short stroke the gun?  

This is what makes me also wonder about lubrication as a possible solution.  with more lubrication would the bolt be able to close fully on a chambered round if I short stroked the charging handle?

View Quote

Imho, yes. No different, really, than learning not to short-stroke a pump shotgun.
The X95 was designed for use in a dusty/sandy environment w/minimal lubrication, I don't think additional lube will help much.
How many rds through your X95? Enough to ensure it's fully broken-in?
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Rather than "tap-rack-bang", I have been doing "remove mag-rack weapon-insert mag" and it fixes the potential problem but it is kind of weird.

View Quote
I'm wondering why you get a double feed when doing the tap-rack-bang?  The first round should get ejected. Perhaps you are still short stroking it during the mitigation?

Instead of removing the mag, perhaps just pull the bolt all the way back and lock it open. Then quickly check your chamber.

If the chamber is clear, then hit the bolt release and resume shooting.

If the chamber is not clear, then remove the mag and let the rounds drop free. Verify the chamber is now clear, reinsert the mag, hit the bolt release and resume shooting
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
I'm wondering why you get a double feed when doing the tap-rack-bang?  The first round should get ejected. Perhaps you are still short stroking it during the mitigation?

Instead of removing the mag, perhaps just pull the bolt all the way back and lock it open. Then quickly check your chamber.

If the chamber is not clear, then remove the mag and let the rounds drop free. Verify the chamber is now clear, reinsert the mag, hit the bolt release and resume shooting
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
Rather than "tap-rack-bang", I have been doing "remove mag-rack weapon-insert mag" and it fixes the potential problem but it is kind of weird.

It is double feeding because the problem I am referring to is when the bolt doesn't close and lock behind the chambered round.  No bolt lock means no extractor grabbing the round, which means when you tap rack bang, it doesn't eject the chambered round and thus tries to feed another... creating a double feed type issue.  

Yeah this works, and is pretty much what I am doing now however, it is not very elegant.  It requires a lot of steps every time I hear a "click" which may or may not even be this problem if that makes sense.  I'm trying to figure out how to boil this down to a simpler set of operations to rectify the potential problem without having to stop, and inspect the chamber and all that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Tomac:

Imho, yes. No different, really, than learning not to short-stroke a pump shotgun.
The X95 was designed for use in a dusty/sandy environment w/minimal lubrication, I don't think additional lube will help much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tomac:

Not sure of the round count, I picked it up used so it is definitely well broken in by now with it's previous life and the rounds I have fired.  
Yeah loading procedures will need to be much more intentional to head this problem off before it becomes a problem.  

One other solution I have found is to carefully charge the weapon about half way, just enough to reset the trigger and allow the bolt to close again.  A simple solution but doesn't have the gross motor movement that tap rack bang does.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top