Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Aim
Posted: 1/12/2020 11:20:58 PM EDT
I'm a newbie to trap shooing so I need all the help I can get. Where do you aim? How do you aim? Any internet information out there?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#1]
with shotguns you don not aim, you just point.  keep the gun moving and pull the trigger, no "aiming" with a shotgun in clay sports.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By reelserious:
with shotguns you don not aim, you just point.  keep the gun moving and pull the trigger, no "aiming" with a shotgun in clay sports.
View Quote
Point the shotgun right at the moving target, below or above? Where should the bead be pointed at?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
you need to watch a bunch of YouTube videos.  forget about the bead it is not used.  watch a bunch  of videos, there are many.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
leading edge of the bird, focus on keeping your cheek on the stock, and not lifting your head after you fire. rock on the stock. keeping both eyes open is the next step after that
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
All good advice here.   Except none of it works for me.    Eye dominance issues for me.    I wear a lens cover on the left lens of my glasses.    
first I start low on the trap house bring the gun up so I can stack the beads.  The bead in the middle of the barrel is just below the front bead and then put the bird just above the front bead.  

I shot a 25 tonight.  my average is 22.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Holds for trap:

Station 3 - Hold just off center of the house (right if you're a righty or left if you're a lefty)
Stations 2 & 4 - Bisect the middle and the front corner of the house on your side
Stations 1 & 5 - 3-5 yards off the front corner, left on 1, right on 5

If the wind is behind you hold low on the house.
If the wind is in your face hold high on the house.

Most acute rock angle is hard left on station 1 or hard right on station 5.

Toughest rock for me being a righty is hard right on station 5. My right arm is in the way of a fast/smooth swing and in a blink I'm behind it.
What I was taught is slightly drop your barrel, catch up to the rock with the swing, then bring the barrel back up in front of the rock as you squeeze the trigger.
It looks like snap shooting - it is NOT!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By reelserious:
View Quote

There are several techniques in the clay shooting world, the closer the bird you want to be barrel aware but no you don’t aim. You either want two beads (end and mid-barrel beads) or no beads at all. One is bad. In Trap you need to be on top of the bird and target the rim.
Aim
Top Top