Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2020 5:57:30 PM EDT
Hi, I'm looking for comments from people who have done 5k run and guns.  Are backpack slings good to go or do the obstacles make it a nogo?  
How do you hump your rifle?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#1]
TAB Gear biathlon sling?
Might be worth a look.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a backpack sling for 'Hard-Ass' style 3 gun matches that require a lot of movement, running, obstacles, etc.

A standard 2 point sling is great for retaining a rifle that needs to be ready to shoot at a moments notice.  It is less great for keeping a rifle secure through a lot of movement when you don't need to shoot at a moments notice.

The biathlon sling is much better for extended carry while moving than a 2 point.  TAB gear is good but expensive.  I went with a Grovtec.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a backpack sling for my first run and gun.  I found it generally made the running and most of the obstacles easier, but it was very awkward to get on and off my back if rigged for easy carriage--and it banged around too much if set for easy access.

I ran with a basic two-point sling last weekend (also a ~5k distance) and for the most part it was easier, given the relatively short run segments.  It did make accessing my gear a bit harder (e.g. topping up mags while running) and was more awkward on things like creek crossings.

I think if I were doing a longer event (10k ish) the backpack sling might be more worth the effort
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m old school.  Ammo pouch carry while running.  Over the shoulder for obstacles and such.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By YankeeDog357:
I’m old school.  Ammo pouch carry while running.  Over the shoulder for obstacles and such.
View Quote

@YankeeDog357

Could you expand a bit on the ammo pouch method?

Any pics demonstrating this?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Ammo pouch carry, if I'm on the right page, is when you rest your gunhand/wrist/forearm rests on your strongside ammo pouch, which is about 1:00-1:30, maybe 2:00 on your Load Bearing Equipment, aka suspendered belt.  

Check out a Magpul Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point, it lets your rifle hang horizontally in front of you like a 'flat ready'.  

When you're moving out, it's ok to move your gunhand to the buffer tube area.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a battle belt with suspenders.  Just hook the mag well over an ammo pouch on the right side.  A light touch on the rifle to keep it in place.  Of it wasn’t for stages that require me to sling my rifle I would use a sling at all.  It just gets in the way.
Top Top