Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2022 9:23:23 PM EDT
i'm building a race gun (because i got the parts cheap and why not). don't know what type of competition i'll do yet, i'm still trying things out
question i have, is my glock 34 won't cycle with the SJC comp. i've tried a bunch of lighter recoil springs and still no luck.

so my next step is to go to a heavier bullet. if i have a heavier bullet don't that mean more recoil (yes, i know slower velocity), but ultimately doesn't that end up negating the point of having a compensator?

thanks for the advice
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
A heavier bullet in a non-comped gun will not necessarily have more recoil than a lighter bullet as long as the Power Factors are the same.  In fact, most competition shooters prefer heavier bullets in 9mm (125's, 147's).  

If you put a comp on a Glock that will lock you into Open division where you'll be competing against 2011's shooting major PF.  Are you planning on loading 9mm major?

If you are looking for extreme frustration then an Open division Glock shooting 9mm major will be right up your alley.  

I would suggest leaving it stock and shooting some matches in Production division first just to get a taste of the game.   THEN decide what division you really want to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 6:30:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kenndogg] [#2]
You need more gas to work the comp and cycle the slide.
Have to load your ammo to major power factor.
On a Glock it's tricky because you can not load to a long C.O.A.L. like 2011.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lasnyder] [#3]
for a new shooter investigating USPSA competition using an unmodified Glock, I recommend that you sign up in Limited rather than Production... Production is a 10 round magazine class, where Limited is high cap basically (with length limit)...  it frustrates a lot of new shooters to have multiple reloads for their first match

be safe, have fun....shoot a couple of matches as commented, and then see which division you fit in...

Les  L747
Limited M
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
To get my 34 with comp to reliably run, went to 150 gr Federal Syntech and 11 lb recoil spring.

It's like shooting a 22LR
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:33:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gardenWeasel] [#5]
I have an SJC built open Gen 3 G17 with the 5-port comp.
I shot it in USPSA back in 2007. I used 8.3 grains of HS6 under a MG 124 gr HP set at 1.145 OAL for 1370 FPS and it was 100% reliable, but it still reminded me of hitting a softball with a wiffle bat.

They did lower the ejection port to just above the serial numbers and also used a proprietary spring-loaded bearing on the build.

Top Top