User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for Rules
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
and we'll need rules and stuff...  (ok, I need rules and stuff. )

what kind of pics?  front, back, side?  screen name on something we're holding?  when do we need to get them to you (or whoever steps in to run the show), and how do we prove when we took them?

For the 2007 contest the person who was running it gave us all codes once the photo submission window opened. The code had to appear in the picture written, not photoshopped. Seemed like a pretty good way to do it. I didn't really pay attention to how the last one was run.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Last time everyone emailed me a body shot holding their username and a scale shot (i think). For the sanity of whomever does it this go around, please keep your pics under 1 MB. We don't need a hi-res photos of gnarly feet, and they take forever to upload to Photobucket.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Last time everyone emailed me a body shot holding their username and a scale shot (i think). For the sanity of whomever does it this go around, please keep your pics under 1 MB. We don't need a hi-res photos of gnarly feet, and they take forever to upload to Photobucket.

but if it's "body transformation" and not "weight loss" then the scale isn't what counts, right?  (says the girl who can't for the life of her lose 10 more freaking pounds... )

ETA:
Quoted:
For the 2007 contest the person who was running it gave us all codes once the photo submission window opened. The code had to appear in the picture written, not photoshopped. Seemed like a pretty good way to do it. I didn't really pay attention to how the last one was run.

I like the whole "codes only given after a certain date" thing...
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

but if it's "body transformation" and not "weight loss" then the scale isn't what counts, right?  (says the girl who can't for the life of her lose 10 more freaking pounds... )

ETA:
Quoted:

I like the whole "codes only given after a certain date" thing...

Well when you figure that out, let me know. My fat ass is in!!

OH and all you Texans, check out this thread. Come and shoot without me!
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for just going by before and after... i dont have a scale that goes as high as i weigh anymore... ...the scale in the house tops out at 340 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 2:37:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not saying we have to do it that way this year, that's just how we did it last year IIRC. Weight just gives you something easily measured.

Link Posted: 12/24/2010 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I am in

The timing is great, i will be running my first marathon on April 11.

2 cents on rules:

I like the ideas posted so far about doing a before and after pic comparison. judging by weight is less interesting i think, and less inclusive i think.

Perhaps a panel of judges? Who could be in trusted with this? Is Richard Simmons available?

The finalists could be taken to GD for a poll to determine winner, but then again GD has a propensity to be retarded at times...
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm in again this year.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#11]
fat 4bangin checking in.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm interested. I need to be in shape for my CPAT and I want to do a triathlon thus June...and not die.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Throw me in the mix too. I haven't ran since September and I have gained 12 lbs and several inches. This will be some great motivation.

Link Posted: 12/24/2010 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in!
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#15]
if we don't have someone who's done it before willing to run the show, I'd be willing to...  I really think these challenges make a difference in getting folks on the right track and would like to "support the cause," so to speak...  I would still participate in the challenge, just not the contest, like DirectAction.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
if we don't have someone who's done it before willing to run the show, I'd be willing to...  I really think these challenges make a difference in getting folks on the right track and would like to "support the cause," so to speak...  I would still participate in the challenge, just not the contest, like DirectAction.  

i don't know if i'm comfortable sending you pictures of me half-clothed
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/24/2010 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm down
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

j/k
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

good one.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Ah what the hell, I'm in. I'm kinda already at the beginning of a personal experiment that I'm running over 6 months. I got my body fat and all that jazz. Used mechanical calipers so maybe not as accurate as real body fat calipers but consistent none the less

30 years old with 2 kids...
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm in. I had to drop out last year when my ankle decided it would rather point 180 degrees the other direction.. but that probably won't happen again this year! Still lost 35 lbs over the last year.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Im in, Ive had P90x and Bowflex dumbells sitting around for 2 years.. untouched.

waiting for rules.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#25]
checking in
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

btw - wth are YOU doing in this competition???  you don't need to lose weight and you don't need any more muscles...  I'm at a loss...  

Au contraire m'lady.  I have plenty of work to do if I'm to fit into that bikini by summer.  

I'm having trouble getting my pecs to stick out farther than my belly.  Lots of cardio and ab work to do.  

Thank you for the compliment though.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I am on the gluttonous path of becoming a lard ass.

So count me in.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Count me in.  I never do the New Year resolution crap but have decided to challenge myself this year to lose 50 pounds.
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Count me in.  Waiting on rules.

I'm at a comfortable weight, but need some toning and some more muscle.  I was already planning on starting P90X, so what the hell!

K
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#30]
If there is a spot, I will play. Rules?
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#31]

I might be in. Rules??
Link Posted: 12/27/2010 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I might be in. Rules??

no rules just yet - waiting to see if a previous "official" wants to run another one...  and there's ALWAYS more room - never a limit on number of contestants.

PROBABLY:
a set of before/after pics
measurements (weight/tape measurements/fitness measurements)
a final "vote" for the winner from those who complete the 90 days

(that's how it's gone before)
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I might be in. Rules??

no rules just yet - waiting to see if a previous "official" wants to run another one...  and there's ALWAYS more room - never a limit on number of contestants.

PROBABLY:

a set of before/after pics

measurements (weight/tape measurements/fitness measurements)

a final "vote" for the winner from those who complete the 90 days

(that's how it's gone before)

On these fitness measurements, are they hard set? Like say for run time.....I don't have a run time as I don't run yet. Haven't made it that far in my fitness journey.

Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:13:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
On these fitness measurements, are they hard set? Like say for run time.....I don't have a run time as I don't run yet. Haven't made it that far in my fitness journey.

if I end up running it, then the answer is no - it'll be a choice of measurements, and you do the one(s) you want, and the improvement in time/reps will be shown with the after pics...  

BUT even though I sorta feel "the call" to oversee it, I don't want to step on toes or presume that I'm the one for it...  the OP needs to be eligible for the prize, though, (even if it's just the cool stick from his backyard ), so that's why I think someone other than the OP needs to run it...
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if I end up running it, then the answer is no - it'll be a choice of measurements, and you do the one(s) you want, and the improvement in time/reps will be shown with the after pics...  

BUT even though I sorta feel "the call" to oversee it, I don't want to step on toes or presume that I'm the one for it...  the OP needs to be eligible for the prize, though, (even if it's just the cool stick from his backyard ), so that's why I think someone other than the OP needs to run it...

just a suggestion:

people have different wants and needs; how about a choice? a weight goal (before ––-> after), a specific body composition goal (bigger arms, leaner legs, etc), and a specific fitness measurement to be chosen by the contestant (increase deadlift max by a percentage, run time, max pullups, etc). that way we're not trying to make everyone conform to the competition, but the opposite.

Link Posted: 12/28/2010 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just a suggestion:

people have different wants and needs; how about a choice? a weight goal (before ––-> after), a specific body composition goal (bigger arms, leaner legs, etc), and a specific fitness measurement to be chosen by the contestant (increase deadlift max by a percentage, run time, max pullups, etc). that way we're not trying to make everyone conform to the competition, but the opposite.

Good idea, I really won't change much, lean up a touch, that's about it. I'm just in it to help keep me motivated.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just a suggestion:

absolutely.  that's my plan.    we all have different goals for this things, so we can't all be measured on the same stick.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm in
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just a suggestion:

absolutely.  that's my plan.    we all have different goals for this things, so we can't all be measured on the same stick.  

Awesome! That's what I was hoping for...
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The problem with so many varying standards for competing is that they are difficult to measure in terms of 1st place, 2nd place etc.  B&A pics or scale weight is pretty good proof, claiming a 400lb DL is not.  Also, who wins first place, the guy who achieves his DL goal, the guy who loses 75 pounds, or the woman who loses 35% of her weight?

This is just me playing devil's advocate.  This is all up to you guys, so whatever you decide is fine.

A contest needs a standard with which to measure. It can be weight loss, it can be % of body weight/fat loss, or a measure of improvement on a physical test.

I always do a physical test to measure my improvements more so then weight. I also have little weight to lose so a body transformation for me would be bulking up. Something I don't have time for or access to.

Even a % increase on my test is a small improvement and would not make a dramatic change in that % wise.

It's your game, what are your rules?
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#43]
OK, let's try and iron out the rules.

I agree with whom ever it was that sated the before and after pics allow for a greater number of us to effectively participate. I'm not in tremendous shape these days, but the % weight loss or body fat puts even me at a very outside shot at the title.

As to include more folks, I also agree that a stated goal should be used to evaluate the pics. This is how we have done it in the past IIRC. Choosing your goal carefully is a wise idea. If you sate that you want to have a six pack by the end of the competition the judges may not be impressed if you lose 50lbs. but still have a spare tire.

Judging: I really would like to participate. As a result I certainly don't want to judge. I say we put up a poll and do it by popular vote. That's apparently how we've done that in the past, but I can't recall that portion of it.

Pics:

I don't see a problem with my sending out the codes to everyone which they will then write on a piece of paper etc. and have in their photos. If someone would like to send me a code so that I can't possibly cheat that would be great. We just need a designated person for that. I plan on sending out the codes sometime on the 1st or 2nd. This will give us a total of two weeks to get the before pics sent in. Pics sent in after midnight on the 15th will not count.

I say we do like we have in the past and have some mandatory poses and one free pose. How about front relaxed, side relaxed, front double bi, rear double bi, and free pose? That's a total of five poses which will allow us to show off the goods.

Lets get this nailed down in the next 72 hours so we can get the show on the road.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I agree with whom ever it was that sated the before and after pics allow for a greater number of us to effectively participate. I'm not in tremendous shape these days, but the % weight loss or body fat puts even me at a very outside shot at the title.

As to include more folks, I also agree that a stated goal should be used to evaluate the pics. This is how we have done it in the past IIRC. Choosing your goal carefully is a wise idea. If you sate that you want to have a six pack by the end of the competition the judges may not be impressed if you lose 50lbs. but still have a spare tire.

Judging: I really would like to participate. As a result I certainly don't want to judge. I say we put up a poll and do it by popular vote. That's apparently how we've done that in the past, but I can't recall that portion of it.

Pics:

I don't see a problem with my sending out the codes to everyone which they will then write on a piece of paper etc. and have in their photos. If someone would like to send me a code so that I can't possibly cheat that would be great. We just need a designated person for that. I plan on sending out the codes sometime on the 1st or 2nd. This will give us a total of two weeks to get the before pics sent in. Pics sent in after midnight on the 15th will not count.

I say we do like we have in the past and have some mandatory poses and one free pose. How about front relaxed, side relaxed, front double bi, rear double bi, and free pose? That's a total of five poses which will allow us to show off the goods.

Lets get this nailed down in the next 72 hours so we can get the show on the road.

+1. for bandwidth and headache concerns i would limit it to 2-3 pics, but the rest sounds good to me
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Toss me in too.

Looking to lean out upper body and gain muscle mass
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I would enter if there is body transformation. I really dont care about my weight, its the image that I would want to change. If there isn't a body transformation category I am willing to lend a hand with orginization and that type of stuff.
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Pics:

I think this is PERFECT.

Quoted:
I would enter if there is body transformation. I really dont care about my weight, its the image that I would want to change. If there isn't a body transformation category I am willing to lend a hand with orginization and that type of stuff.

I think with the above, you're covered.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Just let me know when I need to pose and how. That said, the less poses the easier it might be to keep track.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Just to be sure, besides the photos of us with a random code that is selected for each individual, we need to also pick a goal?

Say maybe my goal would be to replace 12 pounds of body fat with 15 pounds of muscle or lower my body fat % from 18 to 12 for example?
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Consider me in.  My goal is to unfatbastard myself.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top