Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like Fleishhacker Pool in San Francisco.

They finally stopped scooping sand out of it and built condos there. STUPID.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#2]
You know, looking at the photos, it would really suck if you were in one of the two condos in the middle, because you'd have to walk all the way around the the damn thing if you wanted to be on the actual beach.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
A pool that size can dilute a lot of pee, but what if someone drops a dookie?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bAIZPjDtT_Q/S-l6eBr7nRI/AAAAAAAAFdE/FJm49ZJ9fMk/s1600/bill+murray.jpg

's no big deal...

At the Outer Banks two years ago, my Grandson didn't want to go into
the water, so I asked him why- he said he'd been reading about
whales, and that the water was maybe "too poopy"..

I told him that the total amount of WP in all the oceans probably
wouldn't fill up even one huge swimming pool.

He gave in, and went in..  

now I gotta show him this pool !!
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
throw in about a dozen unwrapped baby ruths for fun
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A Colombian buddy of mine has stayed there. The pool is climatically controlled so it can be used when the sea is too cold and rough. You can scuba dive, sail small boats, snorkel and all that in a controlled environment.  

The condos are pretty swank too.

What's there to see when scuba diving or snorkeling in a pool?
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I wonder how much it costs a night to stay there.  

I've been doing a little research not that. From what I can tell, it's not the typical vacation resort. The units are all privately owned and operated much like a condominium complex. However, units can be rented from the owners and other agencies. Apparently, the prices are not bad at all. Under 200.00 a night. I'm not sure what amenities are or aren't included. I don't think the place operates like a country club or luxury hotel that exists in the US. I encountered several references to bringing your own towels and sheets.

My language skills aren't the best and someone that knows the local culture and environment could probably provide far more insight.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've never been to Chile. Wonder how safe it is for an American

Chile is arguably the least corrupt, most capitalist, most pro-American country in South America. Doesn't mean it would be like a trip to Canada, but it's much safer than Mexico. Plus in a tourist area like this you'd be as safe as any place in the states.

My son was there (Santiago) for a couple of years, he never had a problem despite the fact he was obviously American. However, stay away from the soccer stadiums whenever the local team is playing; the fans will riot, win or lose.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone else considering to try and convince their ol' lady to go down there just to have sex in the worlds largest pool?

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You know, looking at the photos, it would really suck if you were in one of the two condos in the middle, because you'd have to walk all the way around the the damn thing if you wanted to be on the actual beach.  

No problem - Underground tunnels, dewd!
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That looks cool.  I'd go there and bring some scuba gear.

That sounds like a fun dive.  

112 feet.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm not seeing the point.

i would love to train for my triathlons in that pool.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#12]
People still won't go in it. Humans are lazy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That is impressive. Honestly, I would go just to use the pool.  

I'll have to read up on traveling to Chile.

ETA: Years ago, this is the kind of thing I'd have expected to see built somewhere in the US while the rest of the world was amazed. Now, I can't imagine it would even be possible.

I know sad isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Hotel looks nice, it would be one drunken week for me if I went there, air mattress cooler of beer I would get lost in a pool like that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone else considering to try and convince their ol' lady to go down there just to have sex in the worlds largest pool?

I like the way you think. Mine would be up for it, too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#16]
They spent that much on a pool on the Coast of one of the most active earthquake zones of the world?
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A pool that size can dilute a lot of pee, but what if someone drops a dookie?

They haven't made a pool yet that I can't clear with a well placed Baby Ruth candy bar.

This one will require several boxes of Baby Ruth bars to get the job done.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That looks cool.  I'd go there and bring some scuba gear.

I'm bringing a submarine.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Years ago, this is the kind of thing I'd have expected to see built somewhere in the US while the rest of the world was amazed. Now, I can't imagine it would even be possible.

I know sad isn't it?

That would only be built in an area of the country that has low land values and even lower  tourism potential. The cost of building that in LA (if you could get it past the regulators) would dwarf the $1.5 billion that pool cost.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A billion dollars to put a pool on a beach.

Imagine what that pool will look like after a Category 5 hurricane erodes the beach or fills the pool with sand.

A Cat 5 hurricane on the coast of Chile?

Cyclone?
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know sad isn't it?

It's not that we couldn't do it. The real problem is overcoming government-implemented obstacles.

I bet there were no "environmental impact studies" to put in that pool.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They spent that much on a pool on the Coast of one of the most active earthquake zones of the world?

Yeah, the area produces tsunamis too along with the quakes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Watch that fucker slide off the beach.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
3/5 of a mile?

Why not say 2/3?

It's 1 Kilometer which is .621 Miles, which makes 3/5 closer to the actual length than 2/3

Yep. Plus, 3/5 sets me up for some good Constitution jokes if I want to slide some in on page 3. It is a pool thread after all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A Colombian buddy of mine has stayed there. The pool is climatically controlled so it can be used when the sea is too cold and rough. You can scuba dive, sail small boats, snorkel and all that in a controlled environment.  

The condos are pretty swank too.

What's there to see when scuba diving or snorkeling in a pool?

Sometimes when it get's hot here I throw my gear on and go take a 1/2 hour nap at the bottom of my pool.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know sad isn't it?

That would only be built in an area of the country that has low land values and even lower  tourism potential. The cost of building that in LA (if you could get it past the regulators) would dwarf the $1.5 billion that pool cost.
It would cost 1.5b just for the EIR,  then the .gov would want permit fees plus the EPA/OSHA ( insert more ABC agencies here ) up your ass the whole time under construction.   The reality is you probably wouldn't be allowed to build that ANYWHERE along the coast of the USA.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I wonder how much it costs a night to stay there.  

I've been doing a little research not that. From what I can tell, it's not the typical vacation resort. The units are all privately owned and operated much like a condominium complex. However, units can be rented from the owners and other agencies. Apparently, the prices are not bad at all. Under 200.00 a night. I'm not sure what amenities are or aren't included. I don't think the place operates like a country club or luxury hotel that exists in the US. I encountered several references to bringing your own towels and sheets.    

My language skills aren't the best and someone that knows the local culture and environment could probably provide far more insight.

I read reviews on it too, apparently the outdoor lagoon is too cold to swim in as late as April. Not sure how long into the summer/fall it remains swimmable. They apparently have a nice indoor pool but charge you to use it. I also ran across several complaints that towels and sheets were not included. There were also complaints that there is nothing else really in the area and that the onsite restaurants/bars were closed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Oh yeah?

Well, the other pool in that picture is way, wayyyyyyyyy bigger.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Cool. That said, why in the blue fuck would you ever want a 115' deep pool? 30 feet I understand, but 115? Damn.

Also, sailing in the pool would be pretty cool
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm not seeing the point.

It's right there at the top.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I want to shit in it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Cool. That said, why in the blue fuck would you ever want a 115' deep pool? 30 feet I understand, but 115? Damn.

Also, sailing in the pool would be pretty cool

A 115' deep pool would be awesome in a country where some blue kid couldn't get them sued out of existence.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top