BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Working at McDonalds for $9 an hr. means you have no job skills. Ten years at McDonalds at $9 means you are one lazy dude. You should have some skills worth more by now and moved on to Amazon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prices of products will rise to compensate.

Where I am, "minimum wage" is already about $14 due to the market scrambling for labor.  Why work for $9 at McD when Amazon is paying $15, and Uline pays $23....

Working at McDonalds for $9 an hr. means you have no job skills. Ten years at McDonalds at $9 means you are one lazy dude. You should have some skills worth more by now and moved on to Amazon.

The point was, that McD doesn't pay $9 here, or they'd have nobody.   Starting wage based on ads, is $13.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hyperinflation.....first and foremost.

So now you make $15 an hour (WEEEeeee!) but soon your rent goes to 2K, hamburger $15 and gas $9 a gallon, loaf of bread $10, hair cut $50, cars cost 40-50K on the lowest end (beat to shit used ones $25K).  Enjoy your $500 average electric bill. Employers cuts jobs by 50%. Now you are out of or. Wait now we need a $50 min wage...rise and repeat.

See how this has worked in cities and states that went down this road on the left coast.
Why does it cost more to live in San Fransisco or Portland than fly over cities in the Midwest?

Fact is you would live better off in Erie PA making $7.50 an hour than you would in SF making $15.00 an hour....why is that again? See above... and the poors making $15 an hour can go back to looking for a bridge to live under once things shake out.

Reality....

View Quote

Real estate costs are the driving factor much more than min wage. When there are lots of high paying jobs in an area, that raises the price of houses and apts (an influx of college grads and others making $200k+ has way more trickle down effect than the workers at the bottom getting a couple of dollars an hour raise). All of those expensive area you mentioned got expensive way before min wages were raised
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Very little. Slight increases in prices.
View Quote

As a business owner who hires a lot of teenagers who have never had a job before, I disagree strongly with your opinion that this would have little effect.  A portion of the people I hire are inexperienced, and often still in school.  The vast majority of them are not going to earn the business anywhere near what it will cost to employ them if they are being paid and the business being taxed at a wage of $ 15.00 per hour.

This will remove a lot of entry level jobs from the marketplace, and continue by increasing the rate of inflation.  Raising the minimum wage will also cause incalculable harm to people on a fixed income who no longer have the ability to produce additional income to cover the new costs such as handicapped or elderly people.  This will destroy the elderly without large retirement funds, and financially harm the rest.

This policy is designed to harm people who can no longer provide for themselves, to the end of increasing their dependence on the government, while removing their ability to survive without that assistance.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As a business owner who hires a lot of teenagers who have never had a job before, I disagree strongly with your opinion that this would have little effect.  A portion of the people I hire are inexperienced, and often still in school.  The vast majority of them are not going to earn the business anywhere near what it will cost to employ them if they are being paid and the business being taxed at a wage of $ 15.00 per hour.

This will remove a lot of entry level jobs from the marketplace, and continue by increasing the rate of inflation.  Raising the minimum wage will also cause incalculable harm to people on a fixed income who no longer have the ability to produce additional income to cover the new costs such as handicapped or elderly people.  This will destroy the elderly without large retirement funds, and financially harm the rest.

This policy is designed to harm people who can no longer provide for themselves, to the end of increasing their dependence on the government, while removing their ability to survive without that assistance.
View Quote

Did any of those things happen when the min wage went to $7.25 twenty years ago?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Reduced hours due to increase in wages for fast food industry employees.  If no reduced hours then maybe a reduction in free government handouts due to increased earnings.  I think this has already happened in Seattle, Wa.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My laborers cost $65/hr.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is already true in my AO.
Contractors can’t hire general laborers because they are working in food service. Getting paid the same working inside

My laborers cost $65/hr.

Maybe the term is different in my area.
These are no skill, laborers doing clean up bringing material to others etc.
Pay rate is also different than labor cost.
These guys have overhead so their cost is higher than their pay rate
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FT employees get replaced by more PT employees without benefits.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's just more taxable income that the government can collect on.

It's all part of their money skimming practice.
View Quote

I doubt it will. A lot of minimum wagers have children and with the eic they will get much more back than they pay.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe the term is different in my area.
These are no skill, laborers doing clean up bringing material to others etc.
Pay rate is also different than labor cost.
These guys have overhead so their cost is higher than their pay rate
View Quote

A broom pusher costs $55.

But I know what you mean.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#10]
The first minimum wage increase after I entered the workforce was the increase from $3.35 to $4.25. I was making about $4.50 at the time and I can tell you for damn sure that fast food lunches went up almost immediately. What they're talking about now isn't just a buck or two, but a doubling of the minimum. If a business' labor cost is 50% of their budget, labor will be 100% after the increase. You can't operate like that. You have to make adjustments somewhere. People also fail to realize that employers have taxes they have to pay for each employee (6.2 percent Social Security tax and 1.45 percent Medicare tax) and this will also be affected by the increase.

Liberals are really bad at economics or they simply don't care as long as they get the vote.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Those who lived through Jimmy Carter...nuff said...we lived it. History repeats itself. Look at what Hyper inflation meant to average citizens and why Reagan won 49 states.

Here we are again....
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is the shit show nobody is talking about.

Current employee has been working in their spot for 6 years and is now making $13 an hour.

Different employee has been working in their spot for 6 months and is making $9 an hour.

Min wage goes to $15 and both employees are making the same hourly wage.

Tenured employee is now raising hell because his time of employment means absolutely nothing now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Current employee has been working in their spot for 6 years and is now making $13 an hour.

Different employee has been working in their spot for 6 months and is making $9 an hour.

Tenured employee is now raising hell because his time of employment means absolutely nothing now.
View Quote

If the tenured employee really provided value, he would be making >$15/hr.  These kinds of wages are for people with no skills or experience, who are completely replaceable.

I understand why the tenured guy would be mad in this situation, but the truth is he wasted 6 years of his life working a dead-end job.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#14]
The worst employees get fired and replaced by productive young people who would take a few shifts for a second job because it pays $15

And robots
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]
The minimum wage is $19.84/hr in Australia.

Seems to work out alright. But our wages are higher (so is our cost of living and effective tax rate). So in ballpark terms that prob relates to a US rate of 15/hr.

That rate is for over the age of 21, it drops down percentage wise for each year down to 16. At that age its probably half the min wage

So a lot of entry level jobs are filled by young people. I think an impact of min wage is increase in casualisation, and gig jobs, and less full time jobs.

But we are comparing apples with oranges here. Too many different factors, but i would say a min wage increase isnt as devastating as some suggest. Its not the end of the world. And really, most people earn above it, don't they? I dont know any adults on our min wage.

Whenever i think of economics and the US, i think of those homeless videos from LA.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j73cjA1IcJw
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Site Resources will be more expensive
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

A significant number of posts in this thread mentioned it.  

Then again I'm a tenured thread participant.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Raising the minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 an hour by 2025 would cost the economy about 1.4 million jobs and would lift 900,000 Americans out of poverty, according to a recent analysis by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/progressives-urge-white-house-to-overrule-top-senate-official-and-include-15-minimum-wage-in-covid-relief-bill
View Quote

Lol, it doesn't lift shitthough. It just raised the bar of poverty income level, while moving everyone else down, closer to poverty. At least until it you're ts itself, and not before harming everybody but the few who briefly benefit, ergo, keep their job and enjoy the temporary buying power.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#19]
There are a lot of really shitty jobs that pay $15-20/hr. I see it being extremely hard to fill those spots without a big bump in pay. That puts those guys close to skilled blue collar worker pay scale. It will turn industrial jobs on their ear, until everything normalizes with inflation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If the tenured employee really provided value, he would be making >$15/hr.  These kinds of wages are for people with no skills or experience, who are completely replaceable.

I understand why the tenured guy would be mad in this situation, but the truth is he wasted 6 years of his life working a dead-end job.
View Quote

That's some pretty elitest thinking there
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Really not a lot.  Have it already here come June. It has been rising every year and labor is tighter than ever.  Major retailers already pay 15 to start.  Not that low of a floor to cause job elimination.  Unless, of course, there is a flood of illegals.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's just more taxable income that the government can collect on.

It's all part of their money skimming practice.
View Quote

I think some union wages are based on "X.XX times the minimum wage" as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Great Reset
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top