Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My man
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jeez, I buy a personal villa somewhere in the Caribbean on a private island. Somewhere corrupt enough to where I can bribe the government to leave me alone. A place where I can have all the MGs I want.

My man
I think a 99 year lease for an island in the Bahamas would work for me. Also, I'd do the structured payout, not the lump sum.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I get 2 billion is a lot and even at 1 billion a 25 million dollar home is not insignificant. Upkeep and taxes are going to be huge expenses.

I would have gotten a big house but not that or there. But it's his money and only he's accountable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt buy it there but that is just me

I would buy one some place though that was epic.

He will be fine.

Having all that money spending 2.5% on a house is nothing.

Most people spend well above that with six figure salaries

If he put it in something that brought him just 2% interest you are looking at 250,000 a week
Think my math is good
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

LLCs have to register with the State they're formed in and the officers are public info, I think.
View Quote

So you hire someone to be the "officers". No problem, when you have that kind of money.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My first chunk of that would be spent on a team of lawyers to hide me and that money inside of as many trust, shells, or wtf ever was needed.  Then buy the largest acreage I thought was reasonable in Texas and disappear.  Of course said acreage would be owned by Fuck Off Land Trust.  Fuck buying anything in California.
View Quote

I don’t think Ensign Peak Advisors takes outside clients. You’ll have to start your own church with a captive wealth management team.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The weather there is easily worth it alone. Your state is only nice in the winter months and then becomes sauna oven soaked shirt with lizards crawling around everywhere.
View Quote

There are whole islands you could buy where the weather is just as nice and there are far fewer prying eyes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Could live anywhere... and he goes to California. He deserves whatever he gets.
View Quote

You think laws apply to wealthy Californians?

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"Decoy house"
https://m.wsj.net/video/20101012/101210red/101210red_640x360.jpg

Seriously, my new lottery plan is to buy a big house in California, have a reasonably big presence there on paper, and physically spend the rest of my life somewhere else.
View Quote
Thumbs Up
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You think laws apply to wealthy Californians?

View Quote
Hollywood might be the nicest turd in the toilet, but it's still in a shitter.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Broke inside several years.
View Quote

Or dead.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Winner of $2.04B Powerball jackpot buys $25.5 million Hollywood Hills mansion
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the house is very reasonable for the income and income potential this guy now has.

Not my first choice, but different strokes and all. I think some people forget that you instantly become a target for solicitors and also some real bad hombres meaning you harm. Living amongst other mega wealthy people is not only good for socializing, but it comes with security benefits as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#13]
To each his own I suppose,  but I'd be buying the largest piece of land in Montana and/or Idaho I could find and you'd never hear of me again.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I would use that place for three years and then quietly move to another state.
The value of that property is not going down.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Meh. If he got into farming he could spend that in a year and not have anything to show for it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To each his own I suppose,  but I'd be buying the largest piece of land in Montana and/or Idaho I could find and you'd never hear of me again.
View Quote

I enjoy watching the RE ranch videos with thousands of acres.  Buy one or two of those and hire the current workers and give them a nice bump in pay for staying.

Hire some legal lairs to incorporate it into it's own political subdivision and make it a rule that all employees must be armed with FA, all the time.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like he is well on his way.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No one would ever know where I lived and it would not be California...buying some big ego box like that will do nothing but draw negative attention. This will not end well.
View Quote

This. I'd quietly change my name and disappear.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an infatuation for "old time hollywood". I just think the 40's-60's would have been a really cool time to see and live in LA.. but now..... Not so much. I will say. That view he has is pretty damn cool... I dont have 25 milly to spend so I dont think I will ever have that problem.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There are whole islands you could buy where the weather is just as nice and there are far fewer prying eyes.
View Quote

Then no one can see how rich you are and be jealous.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#23]
If it was me, I'd follow Austrian's advice, and once the funds were available, I'd hire @BlackFox to drive me around the Caribbean for a few months so I could get my head around how much my life has changed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If it was me, I'd follow Austrian's advice, and once the funds were available, I'd hire @BlackFox to drive me around the Caribbean for a few months so I could get my head around how much my life has changed.
View Quote

@DPeacher - fuel tanks are full, the bar is stocked and there's even some food in the fridge!!  
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, spending 2.5% on real estate is how you go broke.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread caused me to lose an hour yesterday browsing Private Islands Online again.  That site has already cost me many millions, and could easily do it again
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@DPeacher - fuel tanks are full, the bar is stocked and there's even some food in the fridge!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I need to go buy a lottery ticket!
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#28]
better get some anti kidnapping insurance and lots of protection.  Every charity and con artist will be hunting for his scalp.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#29]
He will be broke in 2 years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Lol, I see this thread is going to be fun for me.
View Quote
Almost the worst thing you can do here is make a math error.  Face it, you fucked up A A Ron.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Statistically, he'll be broke within a few years.
View Quote

LOL, people win the lottery every single day, you only hear about the train wrecks.   If you're a dumbfuck with money when you're poor you will probably a dumbfuck when you have $900 million.  To say "Statistically, he'll be broke within a few years" makes you sound like one of the poor dumbfucks.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Fools and their money. Most folks I know with 8-9 figures are interested in the continued building of wealth instead of spending it.

A friend sold his part of his oil business, and invested the money back in the 80s. Got a fair amount of money maybe 1m. Worked for us driving a tanker for my family. 2 bedroom starter house he paid cash for, and still lives there. Had a toggle switch for a few months one winter to replace his thermostat until my dad gave him a thermostat.

Another guy I know well who bought us out still lives in a normal house mostly and last I saw was driving a used car. No extravagant spending.

Some of those lottery winners are just stupid and will likely go broke shortly.

My family, upper middle class. Some money but nothing to waste or blow. I bought a starter house with cash maybe 20 years ago on some water and redid it. Brother bought a foreclosure.

Contrast that to one of my first cousins in the family business that seems to blow through everything and ask for more... Nothing is ever enough.

Build money dont waste it. .
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Damn... those are some steep mudslides waiting to happen. Either the hillside's gonna slide down into the house, or the house is gonna slide down the hillside...

And the back yard is pretty damn small for $25mil.

But, to each his own. At least he didn't buy a place in MT (yet).
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes, yes you do

my tax bracket seems pretty set in stone so you're my only hope
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#35]
first he is stupid to be staying in this horrible state. In Kalifornistan you have 1 year before you have to claim the prize which is plenty of time to legally change your name. Then claim the prize with your new name and then disappear. Go to some desolate place and change your name back. or not
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#36]
They would have to find me on my 100000 acre south Texas ranch.

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Dollars to donuts he's broke and destitute by this time next year.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'm not saying that he shouldn't live the good life with his money, but $25 million for a house is not insignificant.
View Quote

It’s insignificant when you have $972 million more after that purchase. He has the ability to make absurd sums of money using the remainder even conservatively. I think he’ll be alright if he sets some aside and isn’t a total dumb ass.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The guy suing him has a pretty convincing case. He's waiting for the store that sold the ticket to release security camera footage, but they've been stalling.

View Quote

But how is the video going to prove anything, unless it shows the winner snatching it out of his hands?
I doubt the video has the resolution to show the numbers on the ticket.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It’s insignificant when you have $972 million more after that purchase. He has the ability to make absurd sums of money using the remainder even conservatively. I think he’ll be alright if he sets some aside and isn’t a total dumb ass.
View Quote

~$600million more.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#43]
If you have $1000, this is like spending $25.00 or buying a box of ammo. There that should make it easy to understand for some of you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Apparently California doesn't charge taxes on lotto winnings:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/11/12/2-04-billion-powerball-how-much-will-california-jackpot-winner-give-back-in-state-taxes/

So, as strange as it sounds, this guy saved literally the price of that house and tens of millions more dollars just in state taxes he didn't have to pay.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd buy big, but not in CA.
View Quote

I’d buy something like the Dutton Yellowstone ranch
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Broke in 10 years. Dead in 15.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#47]
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#48]
When he first sees the house..

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

But how is the video going to prove anything, unless it shows the winner snatching it out of his hands?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy suing him has a pretty convincing case. He's waiting for the store that sold the ticket to release security camera footage, but they've been stalling.

The lottery ticket has a time stamp and video footage most likely does at well.  Should be easy to establish who bought the ticket.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#50]
If I had that cash I get both

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top