Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 5:05:12 AM EDT
[#1]
5 loadings for 338,lol  many memebers have over 10 with no issues, on my  3rd loadings of mine and they still look new
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#2]
My biggest addition to this is to recommend knowing exactly where you can shoot these rifles.  I bought a .50 thinking it would be fun - I can hardly find a range that will let you shoot it there or a range long enough to really test it out.  That and the comparative cost between the two for ammo should answer your question.

Lots of smart folks here today - what does a 20" barrel do to the velocity figures for .260 Rem and 6.5CM?  You typically see them with 26" tubes on bolt guns but 20" barrels on semi-autos.  What is that 6" of length going to do to the velocity and its ability to reach way out there?

Spooky
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ammo availability and price makes this a pointless thread.

Go to WalMart and see which you can buy.

Go to your local fun store and see what you can buy with a $50

Any serious long-range shooter is going to load his own anyway.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

im still gonna kill ya ass point blank witha broken beer bottle or pos 22 jamomatic rofl

You didn't have anything to add, so you left this little treasure?

that IS something to add.....

it comments on the futility of choosng between these two rounds when we live ina  world where yer average persons true threats/concerns are much less long rang etaliban mortar crewman than "random asshole with a hardon".

VERY RELEVANT TO  THE FANTASY of many INTERNET RAMBOs

but hey thanks for the feebl;e attempt at dismissal mister "i cant get teh big picture so ill cry"

take yer unicorn avatar and spray glitter on yer overlords and their paychecks

are you drunk?
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My biggest addition to this is to recommend knowing exactly where you can shoot these rifles.  I bought a .50 thinking it would be fun - I can hardly find a range that will let you shoot it there or a range long enough to really test it out.  That and the comparative cost between the two for ammo should answer your question.

Lots of smart folks here today - what does a 20" barrel do to the velocity figures for .260 Rem and 6.5CM?  You typically see them with 26" tubes on bolt guns but 20" barrels on semi-autos.  What is that 6" of length going to do to the velocity and its ability to reach way out there?

Spooky

Thats a good question.

I have a Win Model 70 in .300wm.  It has a 26" Barrel.

I have been considering having it chopped down to 18 or 20" and having a comp or break installed.

Wonder what that would do to the dynamics of the rifle.    I really only want something for less than 800 yards.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't component prices that had me, it was the he is getting ten loads on each rd of brass. I know the prices.

Buckshot are you just incapable of saying "Ah ya I over exaggerated, my bad"??????

Let's use your number just so you can feel vindicated:

Lapua brass is $250/100. You get about 10 5 shots out of each brass, so $.25 50/shot

Powder charge is about 30 cents

.05/rd for primer

.66/rd for 300 SMK's.

That's $1.26 $1.76 a round

You're $4/shot argument is void, move on man.

Not if you don't reload

Many people do not reload
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
"Any real downside to the .338 Lapua other than ammo cost? "   RECOIL!

LULZ

Don't be an idiot and buy a 9 lbs rifle to shoot .338LM

I must be really Sensitive to Recoil then because I had a 9+lb Rem Sendero in 300 win mag and could'nt handle the recoil. Thought about putting a brake on it but thought(thats a lot of thoughts) what if it still recoils to much for me. I sold it. Nothing bigger than a 308 for me.

I hear you.  I can't be completely relaxed while waiting for the rifle to go bang if I'm shooting bigger than....I dunno exactly where my limit is.  I deer hunt with 7.62x39mm in an AR so I can be relaxed for the kill.  

I have a BAR I bought in '94 that's chambered in 300WM.  I've shot it about 100 times.  I still have boxes of ammo I bought back then that I think were something like $15.00/box.  With the BOSS muzzle device on a 22-inch bbl, it's a very rude rifle.  While waiting on it to go bang, my vision flashes as I'm squeezing the trigger––it's weird.  There's no way I'd shoot that rifle without earplugs, even with the BOSS device that isn't a brake (that I bought 15+ years ago), with the 22-in bbl.     It ain't even a hunting rifle IMHO.  Dumb purchase that I can't seem to want to get rid of.  

I dove hunt with low-brass 20 gauge.  .....Nah, just kidding, can't find low brass.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spooky

Thats a good question.  

I have been considering having it chopped down to 18 or 20" and having a comp or break installed.

Wonder what that would do to the dynamics of the rifle.    I really only want something for less than 800 yards.

Sounds sweet, but know that it will be crazy loud and have god-level muzzle blast.  If you fire it from prone on real ground......wear goggles.  

The 22-inch 300WM described in my post above cannot be fired from prone on real earth with the original BOSS muzzle break––an exceptionally poor choice for this purpose, but it is a "hunting" rifle.  Firing it a few inches above plowed ground will produce a soft-ball sized hole at the muzzle––no shit.  Affects trajectory too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spooky

Thats a good question.  

Sounds sweet, but know that it will be crazy loud and have god-level muzzle blast.  If you fire it from prone on real ground......wear goggles.  

The 22-inch 300WM described in my post above cannot be fired from prone on real earth with the original BOSS muzzle break––an exceptionally poor choice for this purpose, but it is a "hunting" rifle.  Firing it a few inches above plowed ground will produce a soft-ball sized hole at the muzzle––no shit.  Affects trajectory too.

That is some good info to know.  Do you think a simple button end would be better than a brake?  Or perhaps an upward ported break only?

It has a lot of bite already, a box of 20 rounds usually bruises up my shoulder good.  But still, its manageable IMO.

I would really like to take my 70 and make it a little bit of a more usable  light-weight brush gun.  The 26" is just a bit unwieldy.  

Idealy, i would throw a set of Irons on it to0.  Something that would be great against big game at short to medium ranges.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 9:53:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double

I have yet to see match grade ammo at Walmart as well. And yes, everyone I know that is serious into LR rolls their own.

Pointless comment is pointless.

EZ
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Double

I have yet to see match grade ammo at Walmart as well. And yes, everyone I know that is serious into LR rolls their own.

EZ

To be fair,  ease of acquiring ammo is a concern to some shooters.  Same with it being a common military caliber.

The .300wm is a common military caliber,  IS available at any sporting goods shop, and is inexpensive.  

From that perspective, .300wm is pretty much in the same boat as .224/5.56, .308 and 9mm.  

There is some comfort in that for the SHTF types here, as well as the budget conscious shooters.

.338 is still a bit of a specialty (though popular) round and has its advantages.  There is just a price to pay obviously in availability and cost.

That put me in the camp to buy the .300wm when i was looking for a hunting / brush rifle.  Its big enough to take out anything that walks the earth,

yet affordable and mild enough to shoot occasionally.  The added SHTF ammo cost/availability was the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spooky

Thats a good question.  

If chopped you'd still have something with more ummph than a .308.  Probably very nice out to 800.  I just can't quantify the difference though...

Spooky

Link Posted: 2/5/2012 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double

EZ

Yep, and none of us serious hunters have ever had any luggage lost. God forbid you have your hand crafted rounds lost in transit, and have to sink to the level of buying manufactured ammo.  I see your point about having the optimized round for paper, but availability is a big plus when choosing a round.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a ballistic gel test with the 300 grain SMK's at 2900 fps...  Wound depth is approximately 26 inches.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4110/5183077749_658be161e6_b.jpg

Good God I would not want to be on the receiving end of that.

Me either.  I prefer to be on the sending side of that shit storm.  I'll take a deer with that set up this fall and post the trauma pics.  Ballistic gel doesn't do the wound capability of the round justice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
"300 Hulk", a shortened 338 Lapua Magnum necked down to 30 caliber, pushing 240gr Sierra MatchKings (0.711 BC) at close to 3000 fps.

Experimental weapon with experimental ammunition.

Matthew Quigley ...
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double

EZ

Yep, and none of us serious hunters have ever had any luggage lost. God forbid you have your hand crafted rounds lost in transit, and have to sink to the level of buying manufactured ammo.  I see your point about having the optimized round for paper, but availability is a big plus when choosing a round.

If you're buying a .338 Lapua and handloading for it with the goal of shooting at ELR distances (IE >1500 yards), then you're probably not going to flying around the country hunting with the sucker in the first place.  If you're flying with it to go to a long range competition, then even if you can buy replacement ammo, it's still not going to be appropriate for your needs.  Don't go losing ammo in the first place. :P
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That'll be a thumper.  

I have an A-Bolt II in .300 Win Mag and it'll make me start wincing after about 15 shots off the bench.

Enjoy that Sako.  Nice.  

My TRG in .308 with a Nightforce 5.5-22X50, Spuhr mount, 10 rounds in the mag, Harris bi-pod with claws and AAC Cyclone ways 18 pounds. The rifle, even without the can, barely has any recoil. Your Browning probably comes in a shade over 9 pounds. My 280 A-Bolt doesn't make 9 pounds scoped.  

The TRG in 300 WM is a shade heavier than my 308. Recoil won't be a factor.

I deer hunt in Kansas with my TRG and carry a 18-20 pound pack. Don't ask me to freehand shoot the long bastard though.

No doubt that my A-Bolt II is around 9 lbs with a ligh 3-9x40 scope, but I can also shoot it pretty good standing up.

Shooting from a standing position is the true test of intestinal shititude.

I can shoot my Browning and my CZ 375 H&H (9.5 lbs) both freehand without difficulty. The Browning was my go to rifle for Kansas deer hunting for years.

My TRG at 18 pounds and 54 inches long is a whole different animal, especially considering you have a 1 pound 6 ounce weight hanging off the end of a 26" barrel. I'd welcome anyone who wanted to shoot it freehand and maintain any sort of group with it just for the laugh.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#18]
The closest place to my home I shoot only has about 800 meters (~900 yards).

I haven't mastered it yet.

I've thought about the larger stuff and would love to have it, but 223 and 308 are good enough for what I have around me.  When I'm sending them through the same hole at 800 meters I'll move on up.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top