Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Mechanical Engineering magazine did an article on perpetual motion machines a number of years ago. The most ambitious one they showed was actually provided with a brake for when it started generating too much energy.

Gotta admire the inventor's confidence on that one!

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#2]
And try putting a load on it.

That's not how this works.jpg
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, the folks harping on the supremacy of various laws of physics are making a very great fundamental error, one that assumes we operate from a position of complete knowledge.  We do not.  The Laws of Newtonian mechanics are a systemized picture of our understanding of the physical world at a given time.  Certain parts of Newtonian Mechanics were later superceded by Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity.  Quantum Mechanics introduced even more "laws"  But we have a number of clearly evident facts that point out our understanding is STILL very incomplete, and it is even quite possible certain laws we assume are always true are only true in certain cases.  For example, why is it that the amount of matter FAR exceeds the amount of antimatter?  That seems to violate at least two absolute laws physicists assert to be absolutely true at all times.  

Regarding perpetual motion, energy from nothing or free energy, why do people ALWAYS fall back to Newton's laws, which have no mechanism to address the constant creation and annihilation of particles and antiparticles at the quantum level?  Free energy could indeed be drawn from the quantum vacuum, there are laws of attraction which people can measure in a laboratory setting caused by this particle interaction at the quantum level, which could power a device.

How many of our brightest minds, Einstein and others, had to fight through the entrenched institutionalized arrogance in our scientific community before they were taken seriously?  Perhaps a little humility would cause us to discover many new technologies.  I believe it was Lord Kelvin who said around 1900, that science had discovered everything there was to discover.  There were no new things to be invented.  Had he shut his arrogant mouth, he would have seen Einstein and Planck sitting in the waiting room, waiting for their appointment to change the world.
View Quote

Maybe because the OP showed a mechanical device? Get lost in your theories though...I'll stick with the reality of friction.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
we were house shopping one time and there was a homeowner that didn't leave for our tour of it.  He decided to start talking with us about free energy.

He was so simple he hooked a car battery to a small (computer style) 12v fan.  Told me it has been running for over a week and that the government forces industry to purposely drain batteries so we have to keep buying them.  If we would just wire up our own stuff then batteries would last forever.

I just starred at him a bit.  I didn't really think I understood his thoughts correctly, but yes, he was that simple.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are two kinds of people: those who understand the first law of thermodynamics, and hippies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Power out = (power in - losses)...

There are two kinds of people: those who understand the first law of thermodynamics, and hippies.

This.  First law of thermodynamics.  Not going to happen.  And second law of thermodynamics says the things that do happen, may not happen the way your were hoping when you drew it out before testing it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cool science lab projects to play around with magnetic fields, but nothing more. There is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine, and no free energy.
View Quote

I subscribe to this, but I also subscribe to the notion that we don't know everything.

People used to believe that the earth was absolutely flat. That was taken as fact.....until it wasn't.

Who's to say that 200 years down the road we won't find some way to get MORE energy out of something than we put in?

Don't tell me it's impossible. I know it is, with the laws of physics as we know them right now.

But, physics is a weird animal. We just don't know everything about how our universe works.....far from it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I subscribe to this, but I also subscribe to the notion that we don't know everything.

People used to believe that the earth was absolutely flat. That was taken as fact.....until it wasn't.

Who's to say that 200 years down the road we won't find some way to get MORE energy out of something than we put in?

Don't tell me it's impossible. I know it is, with the laws of physics as we know them right now.

But, physics is a weird animal. We just don't know everything about how our universe works.....far from it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool science lab projects to play around with magnetic fields, but nothing more. There is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine, and no free energy.

There is a finite amount of energy in the universe. It is really that simple.

All power generation does is convert one form of energy to another. While a microtransaction might appear to generate more power output than its input, that is because the scope is not large enough. Fission reactions generate a large amount of power from very little input power (that which starts the reaction) but on a macro scale the input power is always greater. The energy was always there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All power generation does is convert one form of energy to another. While a microtransaction might appear to generate more power output than its input, that is because the scope is not large enough. Fission reactions generate a large amount of power from very little input power (that which starts the reaction) but on a macro scale the input power is always greater. The energy was always there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, and physics also tells us that singularities can't exist either......yet black holes are commonly accepted.

My point is that our "hard and fast laws" are only laws because we don't have any further knowledge to tell us otherwise.

To think that we know everything about physics/energy is completely asinine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Some of those gadgets were impressive and will run for quite a while before grinding to a halt.

The ones that required the addition of energy hand via movement to keep them going; not so much.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep, and physics also tells us that singularities can't exist either......yet black holes are commonly accepted.

My point is that our "hard and fast laws" are only laws because we don't have any further knowledge to tell us otherwise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Poor example if you ask me. Singularities have never been observed and black holes are theorized, not observed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Poor example if you ask me. Singularities have never been observed and black holes are theorized, not observed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have never been directly observed, because we can't see them. We can however see the energy that they emit, and that has been observed.

It's not a poor example regardless. It still proves the point that we are basically in the infancy of physics. To think that everything we hold as "law" now will withstand the test of time against further knowledge is laughable.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#13]
There is only one workable design.

Let me explain.

If you drop a slice of bread with honey on it, it always lands honey side down.

When cats are dropped, they always land feet down.

So to make a perpetual motion machine strap a slice of bread with honey on it to the back of a cat (the unhoneyed side of the bread is in contact with the cat).

Then drop the cat-bread with honey assembly from three feet, and voila!  The assembly falls to with six inches of the ground and begins rotating as the mutually exclusive forces of cat feet and honeyed bread come into play.

Add a means to capture the energy generated from what was described a "rotating cat array", build enough of them, and we power all humanity for all time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ok, the folks harping on the supremacy of various laws of physics are making a very great fundamental error, one that assumes we operate from a position of complete knowledge.  We do not.  The Laws of Newtonian mechanics are a systemized picture of our understanding of the physical world at a given time.  Certain parts of Newtonian Mechanics were later superceded by Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity.  Quantum Mechanics introduced even more "laws"  But we have a number of clearly evident facts that point out our understanding is STILL very incomplete, and it is even quite possible certain laws we assume are always true are only true in certain cases.  For example, why is it that the amount of matter FAR exceeds the amount of antimatter?  That seems to violate at least two absolute laws physicists assert to be absolutely true at all times.  

Regarding perpetual motion, energy from nothing or free energy, why do people ALWAYS fall back to Newton's laws, which have no mechanism to address the constant creation and annihilation of particles and antiparticles at the quantum level?  Free energy could indeed be drawn from the quantum vacuum, there are laws of attraction which people can measure in a laboratory setting caused by this particle interaction at the quantum level, which could power a device.

How many of our brightest minds, Einstein and others, had to fight through the entrenched institutionalized arrogance in our scientific community before they were taken seriously?  Perhaps a little humility would cause us to discover many new technologies.  I believe it was Lord Kelvin who said around 1900, that science had discovered everything there was to discover.  There were no new things to be invented.  Had he shut his arrogant mouth, he would have seen Einstein and Planck sitting in the waiting room, waiting for their appointment to change the world.

View Quote
Thermodynamics is not Newtonian.  When it was pointed out that black holes apparently violated thermodynamics, Stephen Hawking showed that that actually can evaporate.

There is no such thing as free energy.  Only different energy sources.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#15]
If there are any physics "laws" involved, we should get the people of Ferguson on this issue...god knows they will try to break it, just cause its racist and shit.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Derp.  Physisists predicted black holes' existence using... Physics.

And they have been observed, the same way atoms have been observed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bull.  All of or physical laws were given by men who by definition on have limited knowledge.  Many of our inventions today would not exist if the inventors thought the way you stated in red.  Case in point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser

"Townes reports that several eminent physicists—among them Niels Bohr, John von Neumann, Isidor Rabi, Polykarp Kusch, and Llewellyn Thomas—argued the maser violated Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and hence could not work.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser#cite_note-14][14][/url] In 1964 Charles H. Townes, Nikolay Basov, and Aleksandr Prokhorov shared the Nobel Prize in Physics, "for fundamental work in the field of quantum electronics, which has led to the construction of oscillators and amplifiers based on the maser–laser principle".

View Quote

All those guys would even agree that perpetual motion machines are bullshit of an exponential order.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

No - we're saying that these laws have held true for hundreds of years*, and anyone making the extraordinary claim that they are false should expect to present extraordinary evidence that they are in fact correct.

* at the macro scale - behavior of subatomic particles and forces are not addressed here, only their aggregates.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#19]
The "you only believe science is correct because somebody else told you it's correct" types are impossible to argue with.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much derp.

A black hole itself can never be observed.....because it's an infinitely small point. For all intents and purposes it doesn't even exist, that's how small it is. We can only observe the energy that emits from a black hole.

And yes "physisists" (you me physicists?) predicted black holes, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't go against our laws of physics....which they do.

Literally, the laws of physics as we know them break down at the event horizon. Every physicist will say this, because it is accepted as fact. Does that mean black holes do not exist? Nope. We are all but certain that they do exist now, because we can observe the energy they emit and the gravitational lensing they cause.

My point again is that the "laws of physics" as we know them are subject to change, as evident by black holes. They break our laws of physics, yet they exist.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So much derp.

A black hole itself can never be observed.....because it's an infinitely small point. For all intents and purposes it doesn't even exist, that's how small it is. We can only observe the energy that emits from a black hole.

And yes "physisists" (you me physicists?) predicted black holes, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't go against our laws of physics....which they do.

Literally, the laws of physics as we know them break down at the event horizon. Every physicist will say this, because it is accepted as fact. Does that mean black holes do not exist? Nope. We are all but certain that they do exist now, because we can observe the energy they emit and the gravitational lensing they cause.
My point again is that the "laws of physics" as we know them are subject to change, as evident by black holes. They break our laws of physics, yet they exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So much derp.

Damn.  Black holes aren't infinitely small.  The singularity is close enough to having a zero diameter that it has infinite gravity, but the reason you can't see a black hole is the area surrounding the singularity where space-time is warped in such a way that the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light.  It's called the "event horizon" and it can be quite large.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn.  Black holes aren't infinitely small.  The singularity is close enough to having a zero diameter that it has infinite gravity, but the reason you can't see a black hole is the area surrounding the singularity where space-time is warped in such a way that the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light.  It's called the "event horizon" and it can be quite large.

View Quote

Yes, I mentioned the event horizon. And yes they are black because light can't escape, but they are also infinitely small. All matter sucked into a black hole is squeezed into the singularity, which is both infinitely small and infinitely dense.

I just thought we all knew that light couldn't escape it, hence the name black hole.

All of this is irrelevant to my argument, though. We don't know physics, period. We are literally just at the beginning stages of understanding ANYTHING about our universe.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#23]
No we don't know everything about the physical universe.

Are there large sources of energy beyond our understanding that we can tap into? Possibly.

Did some tard on youtube discover it with his magnets? No.

I've seen a lot of these clips and none of them demonstrate power generation.

The B field is thoroughly studied and has been found to adhere to the known laws of physics countless times.

If you want to find a 'free energy' source crack open a modern physics textbook and start experimenting with the unknown.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I wasn't aware that black holes were infinitely small and infinitely dense.  If so they would all be the same horizon and radius, no?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wasn't aware that black holes were infinitely small and infinitely dense.  If so they would all be the same horizon and radius, no?
View Quote

Do you know what the event horizon is?

It's the point at which light - and therefore, information - cannot escape. Literally the point of no return.

I have no idea if the radius is always the same. I suspect that it needn't be. Since density = mass / volume, an object with infinitely small volume would be infinitely dense, regardless of its mass. Therefore, a black hole with a higher mass would have a wider area inside the event horizon... or at least, that makes sense to this lay person.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, because the horizon size is based on the amount of mass that the singularity has sucked in.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Power out = (power in - losses)...

The First Law of Thermodynamics, is that you do not talk about the First Law of Thermodynamics...

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#28]
We've actually got a pretty good handle on physics. Enough to know that some moron isn't going to invent a perpetual motion machine in his kitchen or LHC sized lab.

Chemistry we have less of a handle on, but appreciable enough to be dangerous.

Biology is really the last frontier. We understand quite a bit, but the sheer scale of the moving parts involved in even the simplest creatures is astronomical.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

SCIENTISTS HATE THIS ONE COOL TRICK TO KEEPING YOUR HOUSE OFF THE GRID!!!
View Quote

I see what you did there.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
we were house shopping one time and there was a homeowner that didn't leave for our tour of it.  He decided to start talking with us about free energy.

He was so simple he hooked a car battery to a small (computer style) 12v fan.  Told me it has been running for over a week and that the government forces industry to purposely drain batteries so we have to keep buying them.  If we would just wire up our own stuff then batteries would last forever.

I just starred at him a bit.  I didn't really think I understood his thoughts correctly, but yes, he was that simple.
View Quote

Taos?

I once had a customer who wanted me to make her car electric and put a fan on the roof that would run a generator so it could charge the battery to keep driving forward.

she was dead serious
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We've actually got a pretty good handle on physics. Enough to know that some moron isn't going to invent a perpetual motion machine in his kitchen or LHC sized lab.

Biology is really the last frontier. We understand quite a bit, but the sheer scale of the moving parts involved in even the simplest creatures is astronomical.
View Quote

We actually don't.

We still don't even know how our galaxies stay together. Scientists invented "dark matter" to reconcile why our spinning galaxies don't fling stars off into space.

We invented an invisible material that no one has proof of, just to reconcile what could probably be considered a very basic principle to future generations.

Sure, we have a good grasp on physics.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No, because the horizon size is based on the amount of mass that the singularity has sucked in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I was in 8th grade once.  You're statements contradict though to me.  Infinite gravity, but mass based on how much it has sucked in.

Anyway, whatever, youtube can provide me answers if I get bored.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Taos?

I once had a customer who wanted me to make her car electric and put a fan on the roof that would run a generator so it could charge the battery to keep driving forward.

she was dead serious
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taos?

she was dead serious

To be fair devices like that help cars drive longer/faster all the time.

Formula 1 cars have devices that harvest kinetic energy from braking, store it, then release that energy on command. Those same systems can be tuned to make a car travel further easily.

It isn't perpetual motion, but we can "scavenge" energy pretty easily.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, I was in 8th grade once.  You're statements contradict though to me.  Infinite gravity, but mass based on how much it has sucked in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are not infinite gravity. Otherwise, everything in the universe would get sucked into them at the speed of light.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#35]
This has derailed, I read the original line wrong.   Carry on.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Why waste all that effort.  He could just hook up a hydro generator on the output side of a pump where water also runs downhill.  Dump a bucket of water in, pull the plug, and viola'. Free energy, right?
View Quote

Ram pump
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

We actually don't.

We still don't even know how our galaxies stay together. Scientists invented "dark matter" to reconcile why our spinning galaxies don't fling stars off into space.

We invented an invisible material that no one has proof of, just to reconcile what could probably be considered a very basic principle to future generations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We actually don't.

Again, as it is germane to the subject at hand, our understanding is pretty good.

Unless you can demonstrate some peer-reviewed research suggesting some type of flaw in the laws of thermodynamics that isn't performed by some whackjob and whose peers aren't cuckoo themselves.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't. Please cite what part of physicals say singularities cannot exist, since it WAS physics that predicted their existence.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why would anyone even bother with trying to convince other people that they'd invented a perpetual motion machine?  You could just sell your free clean power and a few billion dollars later who gives a shit if anyone believes in it?
View Quote

that's what I tell my wife when she tells me of her friend's new get rich quick scheme. "the same Susan driving a 12 year old Mazda is making 100k a year in her spare time?"

that shuts her up
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm willing to learn something entirely new today. Give me some links because from what I have studied, black holes have widely variable sizes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm willing to learn something entirely new today. Give me some links because from what I have studied, black holes have widely variable sizes.

The event horizon can vary in size, yes. The singularity can't be observed.

I'm generalizing the term to mean the singularity which is muddying what I'm trying to say, which is that black holes can't be observed. They trap light and the actual singularity is an infinitely small point.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No it doesn't. Please cite what part of physicals say singularities cannot exist, since it WAS physics that predicted their existence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that was incorrect. I failed at trying to say that physics can't reconcile what happens at the singularity. I clarified later on.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Physics makes this pretty clear. Even if you have some theoretical friction-free loss-less system, you can only get back what you put in. The only way to get a "free energy machine" is shitty math. TANSTAAFL.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
don't presume to know that such a device is impossible, but since it is not yet realized we can only go off of scientific principles that are to judge the feasibility of this theoretical device.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Physics makes this pretty clear. Even if you have some theoretical friction-free loss-less system, you can only get back what you put in. The only way to get a "free energy machine" is shitty math. TANSTAAFL.
View Quote

So what you are saying is that such a machine is likely to be created by a democratic progressive politician?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Slap a fan on the main piston and youve got a sweet desk fan!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Formula 1 cars have devices that harvest kinetic energy from braking, store it, then release that energy on command. .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taos?

she was dead serious

Formula 1 cars have devices that harvest kinetic energy from braking, store it, then release that energy on command. .

That's not the same thing at all, there's a reason it slows the car down, it takes energy to build up the charge. This is how hybrids get better gas mileage around town. Simply driving an electric motor with a gas engine doesn't increase mileage.

Putting a fan on your roof to charge your battery constantly would consume more power than it would produce.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#50]
We don't need perpetual motion. We need fusion energy... and we'll have it shortly.

The first Tokamak reactor will go on-line in about 3 years. The second will be about 1/50th the size of the first one, according to Lockheed-Martin's research. The world is changing at a crazy pace and it's about to get much faster.

Now, I'll "in" before clueless people try to shit on the notion of fusion energy.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top