Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Spanish Flu had about a 20% death rate at it's worst.

Which were primarily healthy, young people.
View Quote
The death rate due to the Spanish Flu is estimated. We got two in my family graveyard that records state were killed by the Spanish Flu, odds of them being in the National US stats for the Spanish Flu? Almost none.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
888 cases.... if this is an escaped bio weapon. it's a shitty one in a population of that size.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of updates to post from the last 6 hours - working on the OP now

New cities, 14 total, added to quarantine 40 million people TOTAL on lockdown
Chinese Disney Closed
All movie theaters closed
Forbidden City Closed
888 Cases now, 26 dead * Official totals
888 cases.... if this is an escaped bio weapon. it's a shitty one in a population of that size.
Do you think they might be underreporting? ETA not trying to be a smartass. I think they are.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you think they might be underreporting? ETA not trying to be a smartass. I think they are.
View Quote
My first thought as well, the numbers are most likely being under-reported...
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chinese Disney Closed
Forbidden City Closed
Very likely Underreported on a large magnitude.   Look at the lockdowns and indefinitely  closed attractions. They don’t just shut everything down.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Put me in the camp of "visible response does not match reported numbers".
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Of course they are. Its China. The thing is, there are a lot of reasons for under reporting to go through before you can arrive at "escaped nano infused unstoppable bio weapon".
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
honestly i doubt it. with the amount of international attention on this it would be extremely hard to do even for china. even it they could hide 20% it's still not significant in a population of that size. 1k cases in a population of 40+ million so far i roughly less than .05% infections. that could certainly change over the next few days but right now i am running to my bunker.

with eyes on by the WHO and a ton of researchers, dead bodies flooding the streets and healthcare centers shutting down would not be something possible to hide imho. you would also see a MUCH bigger escalation here and in other countries if that were the case. something we currently don't have. the cdc as of yesterday when i looked was basically just issuing a travel warning and base precautions.

i am not saying this won't change, i don't know. but i am saying currently a lot of people are blowing a lot of stuff completely out of proportion just like they did with ebola.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

honestly i doubt it. with the amount of international attention on this it would be extremely hard to do even for china. even it they could hide 20% it's still not significant in a population of that size. 1k cases in a population of 40+ million so far i roughly less than .05% infections. that could certainly change over the next few days but right now i am running to my bunker.

with eyes on by the WHO and a ton of researchers, dead bodies flooding the streets and healthcare centers shutting down would not be something possible to hide imho. you would also see a MUCH bigger escalation here and in other countries if that were the case. something we currently don't have. the cdc as of yesterday when i looked was basically just issuing a travel warning and base precautions.

i am not saying this won't change, i don't know. but i am saying currently a lot of people are blowing a lot of stuff completely out of proportion just like they did with ebola.
All the same, I appreciate the thoughtful response.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
china is known for exactly that on things that give them negative publicity. trust me they are much more worried about this affecting tourism and trade than being infectious and killing people. eyes are already on those internationally. hiding those numbers on that scale isn't likely. by the way we got very similar "reports" coming out of african population centers during ebola...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very likely Underreported on a large magnitude.   Look at the lockdowns and indefinitely  closed attractions. They don’t just shut everything down.
china is known for exactly that on things that give them negative publicity. trust me they are much more worried about this affecting tourism and trade than being infectious and killing people. eyes are already on those internationally. hiding those numbers on that scale isn't likely. by the way we got very similar "reports" coming out of african population centers during ebola...
I disagree.  There has never been a similar response to this one.  This is a very extreme response
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
i fully admit i can and may be wrong here. i am at the mercy of the same news reports everyone else is reading. i guess i just read them through a different experience level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the same, I appreciate the thoughtful response.
i fully admit i can and may be wrong here. i am at the mercy of the same news reports everyone else is reading. i guess i just read them through a different experience level.
It’s reassuring for me.

I want to believe it’s a natural Coronavirus and the threat is overblown. My assumption is panic is what is truly driving the spread of the disease in China, forcing people with a flu or the common cold to the hospital where they are exposed to the Coronavirus through proximity to the infected and having multiple infections is what is doing the damage.

You certainly are an SME and I hope you’re correct.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I disagree.  There has never been a similar response to this one.  This is a very extreme response
View Quote
And it is making them look incompetent and reactive - so I don't think they are doing it for "PR".
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not worried until TBS is worried; a lesson learned from the Ebola thing.

I also have everything one could need still put away; another hold-over from Ebola.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

honestly.. for general day to day, liberal use of hand sanitizer. most off the shelf n95 masks for this stuff are window dressing. not because they don't work, but because people simply can not use them properly for hours at a time without breaching them. turn head fast or bump into something, scratch nose, stop to eat... etc etc. invest in lysol wipes for your local workspace and purell.

bio is not chemical or hazmat. we are exposed to it 24x7. time to active infection varies with the bug and the host. masks are 99% to keep you from coughing on someone else not protection.

i plan to use the same PPE i use for flu season. jeans, tshirt and sig p226. a healthy immune system and good hygiene will do you more good than anything you can buy on amazon.
View Quote
SO is corona virus a JHP or a FMJ type threat?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chinese Disney Closed
Forbidden City Closed
I believe they are...…………...probably many more dead than that. I think it's an escaped bio-weapon...…………..and they got caught with their pants down
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the concern is that 3 weeks ago there were  26 suspected cases.

Now there are 880 confirmed and 1020 suspected. Potentially a 73 fold increase in 3 weeks.

It is flu season so all the suspected are likly not the virus in question.

20+ healthcare workers even the primary infectious disease MD that was sent in to investigate the outbreak has come down with it.

and then the 'downplay everything, lets be inactive' chinese govt has locled down 14 cities with 40 million people in them

Looking at the totality of the situation as we know it, it looks different this time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
i am far from an SME on anything but how we would have responded back in the day. but i do have some insight on how that stuff is/was handled and how planning is done. we are FAAAAAAAARRRRR beyond the capabilities we had when i was active. and the world is lightyears better at this stuff in detection and mitigation. it's actually taken serious today as a public health issue vs a few eggheads looking at it from a warfare perspective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s reassuring for me.

I want to believe it’s a natural Coronavirus and the threat is overblown. My assumption is panic is what is truly driving the spread of the disease in China, forcing people with a flu or the common cold to the hospital where they are exposed to the Coronavirus through proximity to the infected and having multiple infections is what is doing the damage.

You certainly are an SME and I hope you’re correct.
i am far from an SME on anything but how we would have responded back in the day. but i do have some insight on how that stuff is/was handled and how planning is done. we are FAAAAAAAARRRRR beyond the capabilities we had when i was active. and the world is lightyears better at this stuff in detection and mitigation. it's actually taken serious today as a public health issue vs a few eggheads looking at it from a warfare perspective.
You are more of an SME on this subject than likely anybody else here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And it is making them look incompetent and reactive - so I don't think they are doing it for "PR".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. China's response is why I'm scratching my head on this one. Just seems odd.

As for the virus itself? Wash your hands, dont touch your face, and avoid surfaces in public like handrails. Obviously doors need to be opened. Just wash your hands.

Ill be bringing my son to my gyms daycare untill it gets bad, if it gets bad.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://patch.com/california/sanleandro/alameda-county-residents-tested-deadly-coronavirus

results were negative. just like ebola EVERY idiot tested for this will make the news as a sensational we gonna die headline and the negative results buried in the story. if we had MASSIVE deaths and way underreported numbers this would actually be showing massive breakouts everywhere by now. not just a one off here or there.  jmho.
View Quote
Where did you read that the results were negative?  First paragraph says this...

There are no confirmed cases in Alameda County, as officials await test results from the US Centers for Disease Control.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Put me in the camp of "visible response does not match reported numbers".
View Quote
my two cents... under report it on purpose, when the facts come in, in the internet age you will have panic like we have never seen before. you are already seeing the tiny amount of panic that this thing is causing with little facts and lots of speculation. the powers-that-be are probably not so naive as to not realize that they way you get world-war-z, i am legend levels of public panic is to do just that, under report and then slammed by the facts.. like 50 percent fatality rates and infected people falling over dead in the streets (stuff i have seen here and there).

as a side note, i assume tamiflu and similar anti-virals are useless against this virus as everywhere i have seen discussions about this disease, they state no treatment or cure.

btw, this is a boogaloo party i hope in am not 'invited' to.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not just a reporting factor. It's also incubation timeline and level of contagion.

Highly contagious with a 2 week incubation? Fun times.

Of course, it could also be overblown. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's not just a reporting factor. It's also incubation timeline and level of contagion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The second confirmed case in the US was a lady who arrived in Chicago on the 13th of January. Almost two weeks. We’re probably going to learn a lot about how contagious it is in the next week or two.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#33]
First person to die under the age of 40 (that I am aware of).

https://time.com/5770924/wuhan-coronavirus-youngest-death/
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Follow this MD on Twitter for boots-on-the-ground videos:

https://mobile.twitter.com/IsChinar
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#35]
APCs rollin'

Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
you know what "a strain of coronovirus "could be..... a cold and a media headline.

stop overthinking this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... but you do have a point.

Also,

(Tweet links to a NYPost article)
you know what "a strain of coronovirus "could be..... a cold and a media headline.

stop overthinking this.
This little 3yo girl has been fighting a different strain of Coronavirus since being hospitalized on Dec 23.  Been on ventilator and has dealt with collapsed lungs
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doesn't incubation period play an important role? If it takes 1 week for symptoms to show then I'd be harder to spot/contain as compared to a virus that churns and burns in a few days?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
APCs rollin'

View Quote
Was about to post that guy. lots of vids. People are fleeing and the hospitals are packed. Looks like shit has hit the fan for real.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV: early estimation of epidemiological parameters and epidemic predictions

Not yet peer reviewed, but an interesting read.

We estimate the basic reproduction number of the infection (R_0) to be 3.8 (95% confidence interval, 3.6-4.0), indicating that 72-75% of transmissions must be prevented by control measures for infections to stop increasing. We estimate that only 5.1% (95%CI, 4.8-5.5) of infections in Wuhan are identified, and by 21 January a total of 11,341 people (prediction interval, 9,217-14,245) had been infected in Wuhan since the start of the year. Should the epidemic continue unabated in Wuhan, we predict the epidemic in Wuhan will be substantially larger by 4 February (191,529 infections; prediction interval, 132,751-273,649), infection will be established in other Chinese cities, and importations to other countries will be more frequent.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Novel coronavirus 2019-nCoV: early estimation of epidemiological parameters and epidemic predictions

Not yet peer reviewed, but an interesting read.

We estimate the basic reproduction number of the infection (R_0) to be 3.8 (95% confidence interval, 3.6-4.0), indicating that 72-75% of transmissions must be prevented by control measures for infections to stop increasing. We estimate that only 5.1% (95%CI, 4.8-5.5) of infections in Wuhan are identified, and by 21 January a total of 11,341 people (prediction interval, 9,217-14,245) had been infected in Wuhan since the start of the year. Should the epidemic continue unabated in Wuhan, we predict the epidemic in Wuhan will be substantially larger by 4 February (191,529 infections; prediction interval, 132,751-273,649), infection will be established in other Chinese cities, and importations to other countries will be more frequent.
R(0) of 3.6?

How do you say "not great, not terrible" in Mandarin?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

R(0) of 3.6?

How do you say "not great, not terrible" in Mandarin?
View Quote
??,??? according to google translate.  Oh and they estimate 3.8.  Read the .pdf and not just the abstract.  Not sure if they're right obviously, but epidemiology is interesting stuff IMO.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh fuck
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#46]
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7923913/Shanghai-Disney-closed-Saturday-help-prevent-spread-virus.html

China's deadly new virus could have infected 350,000 people in a single city by the end of the month, according to experts who warn doctors are only diagnosing one in every 20 cases.  
View Quote
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/expert-says-killer-coronavirus-spread-21352748

A top medic who contracted Coronavirus says the deadly respiratory disease is so contagious it can be transmitted through the eyes.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#47]
If the internet put it's mind to it we could have the name trending and officials would have no choice but to nickname it the Kung Flu. Those who have twitter start posting the hastag #KungFlu  
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm not worried until TBS is worried; a lesson learned from the Ebola thing.

I also have everything one could need still put away; another hold-over from Ebola.
View Quote
No disrespect to TBS, but you should rely on your own research, not some internet persona, again no offense to TBS
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No disrespect to TBS, but you should rely on your own research, not some internet persona, again no offense to TBS
View Quote
LOL... I'm betting you don't know what TBS did in his prior line of work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Updated the OP

The evidence is pretty strong that hospitals aren't testing people in China and are overloaded. If they aren't tested they aren't added to the official stats. So maintaining the official counts in the OP seems pretty useless

Cases popping up all over the US, I will get articles posted to the OP soon.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top